Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Awesome, I got it right. That's a good one. If I was white I'd be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I got it, but unfortunately in a real game nobody's telling you "psst there's a tesuji here that will win you the game"

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Foggy posted:

I got it, but unfortunately in a real game nobody's telling you "psst there's a tesuji here that will win you the game"

No, but you can always spend time looking for them. You might be surprised what you overlook.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Foggy posted:

You totally just had one of those games vs Hestler last night

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Under 15 posted:

You totally just had one of those games vs Hestler last night

ALL OF MY GAMES ARE LIKE THAT

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

ALL OF MY GAMES ARE LIKE THAT

get on toxygen and find you some tesuji then

I just started reading it, several months too late I guess

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I remember reading somewhere that people tend to overestimate the magnitude of vertical distances and underestimate horizontal ones - there are a number of optical illusions that operate on this principle. It would be interesting to do an automatic analysis of pro games comparing identical situations when they occur along the top or bottom of the board versus along the sides.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

I remember reading somewhere that people tend to overestimate the magnitude of vertical distances and underestimate horizontal ones - there are a number of optical illusions that operate on this principle. It would be interesting to do an automatic analysis of pro games comparing identical situations when they occur along the top or bottom of the board versus along the sides.

Actual go boards are longer than they are wide so when you sit down at the end of one it looks square to you, but the first few games will still gently caress you up from the change in perspective. As for analyzing pro games for directional bias, you'd find it but not for that reason- 99% of the time black's first move is in the top right corner, normally either q16 or r16, and play proceeds from there. Playing anywhere else is unorthodox enough that Yoda Norimoto once did it at the beginning of a tournament to show that he was feeling defiant and wasn't going to take poo poo from anyone. There are common 'pro openings' that can run for quite a while until someone decides to deviate from them.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
Black is supposed to play in that area to show respect for the stronger white player; white won't have to reach as far if she wants to respond directly to that first move.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I thought I was the only player on KGS that knew that the first play was supposed to be in the upper-right

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
If you play an even teaching game with lloyd and start anywhere but the upper right he will immediately say "WRONG!!" and make you start over. You can find him in the beginner's room, he does teaching games for 1-15kyu players who play ranked games.

Also Lance Kemper (shygost) is a professional go teacher who gives public lessons every Friday at 7pm in LGD. I played my first ever real life game with him, he's a pretty cool guy. I think Battousai 6d also gives public lessons in the Enclave room sometimes.

If you enjoy go lessons like that KGS plus is $15 for 3 months and totally worth it (http://www.gokgs.com/plusSchedule.jsp), and http://internetgoschool.com/ has some free audio lectures.

Are any of you guys going to the US Go Congress? It's in DC this year, August 1-8. http://www.usgo.org/congress/

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

xau posted:

Are any of you guys going to the US Go Congress? It's in DC this year, August 1-8. http://www.usgo.org/congress/

I've never been, even when it was an hour and a half away from me in Millersville, but DC sounds fairly tempting. If it wasn't so ridiculously expensive I'd be far more inclined to go check it out. I have a bunch of friends who live in DC so I may have to attend, or at least do the non-playing pass thing.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
isn't it like $200+ to get in the door? I'd love to go to something like this but good lord

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
Here's the price info for last year, don't think a site is up for this year yet.

https://www.gocongress08.org/faq.php#cost

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

It sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but so expensive. I guess I should start saving now so that by the time I'm strong enough of a player to make it worth it I'll have the money saved to go.

How many of you are paying members of the AGA? I'm thinking about joining but I kind of want to wait till I live in a city that's large enough to have some AGA sponsored clubs (at least one good one). Any Chicago go players here? I'm hoping to be moving up there in the next 3 years.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm not a member of the AGA nor have I ever been to an AGA sponsored club. I've been to the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is listed on the AGA but I don't think they really have anything to do with them.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I think the only difference between clubs listed on AGA and actual AGA clubs is a yearly fee or something like that. I used to go to a tiny little podunk Go club that was actually an official member organization.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
I have created Go as MIDI! :eng101:

This is what the 33rd Meijin title pro game between Cho U and Iyama Yuta sounds like: sound-go-test1.mp3

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Azazel posted:

I have created Go as MIDI! :eng101:

This is what the 33rd Meijin title pro game between Cho U and Iyama Yuta sounds like: sound-go-test1.mp3

What the hell was that?

Foggy
May 17, 2004

If you put it on repeat and listen to it while you sleep you will wake up a go master.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
someone put a 4-4 beat on it and we'll make bank

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

someone put a 4-4 beat on it and we'll make bank

atari

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 25, 2013

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Italo doom trance is the last thing I expected from this thread

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Urban Renewal posted:

I thought I was the only player on KGS that knew that the first play was supposed to be in the upper-right

Which is exactly why I always play lower left first.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Foggy posted:

Italo doom trance is the last thing I expected from this thread

But wasn't it wonderful? I might work on either a chip-tune or electro-thrash remix.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I got kind of a deep voice, I could do a Beat Happening throwback hipster crossover and make this thing top Pitchfork

we can call ourselves The Nine Dans

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

I got kind of a deep voice, I could do a Beat Happening throwback hipster crossover and make this thing top Pitchfork

we can call ourselves The Nine Dans

I like The Severe Hane better

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I'm actually a paying AGA member, though I haven't used the membership for anything yet. I'd have to go over the the regulations again, but if it's anything like the US Chess Federation, the main benefit of clubs being affiliated with the AGA is being able to run rated events. I believe they also get to vote on stuff, from what I remember.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

I'm a former AGA member. It was worth it for me because I got the little yearbook and it allowed me to go to the quarterly tourneys in the other, bigger club about an hour away. Once I stopped going to those tourneys, it stopped being worth the price.

My club is an official AGA chapter, but it's a tiny club that basically only exists on paper right now. It helped us get some club sets for people to use(had to pay the high rear end shipping costs) and the one vote we get was kind of neat, I guess. I will say that the AGA does nothing to help smaller clubs. Every AGA newsletter was about all the great stuff they were for the big clubs in Cali, but they never did anything for any club that didn't have a pro nearby. In fact, the usage of dues was pretty appalling, in my opinion anyways. The North American Masters tournament is a big waste of funds and does nothing to promote go.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

GoBob posted:

I'm a former AGA member. It was worth it for me because I got the little yearbook and it allowed me to go to the quarterly tourneys in the other, bigger club about an hour away. Once I stopped going to those tourneys, it stopped being worth the price.

My club is an official AGA chapter, but it's a tiny club that basically only exists on paper right now. It helped us get some club sets for people to use(had to pay the high rear end shipping costs) and the one vote we get was kind of neat, I guess. I will say that the AGA does nothing to help smaller clubs. Every AGA newsletter was about all the great stuff they were for the big clubs in Cali, but they never did anything for any club that didn't have a pro nearby. In fact, the usage of dues was pretty appalling, in my opinion anyways. The North American Masters tournament is a big waste of funds and does nothing to promote go.

B-b-b-but you get to argue about pass stones!

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Still trying to figure this game out but it seems really cool so far. Just had a great teaching game from emo rodeo which I learned a lot. Cant wait till I start understanding stuff more, so far its just a bunch of white and black dots to me.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I've recently added goproblems to my RSS and this problem popped up http://www.goproblems.com/prob.php3?next=1&id=12437

I've worked through it and the solution that is given doesn't seem like it really kills whites lower group. It seems like white can make 2 eyes. Am I missing the point that it's just trying to make white live small? Also the an alt solution kills the lower side group, isn't that better for black? Am I going crazy!?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
After B Q1, White's ability to live in the corner depends on the outcome of the ko - the point is that Black used his position between two weak groups to force White into fighting a ko for life, where before the two groups both seemed to be alive. Even if White wins the ko, Black should make profit by being able to make two moves elsewhere.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
here's another problem from a game I just played. I'm black, and I eventually won, but there's a white tesuji on the board that would have won him the game and went unspotted for quite some time:

Click here for the full 749x739 image.

This should be pretty easy for anyone 10k+ to spot, and it has nothing to do with the move white just made.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

J11?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Right idea but there's a better way of doing it.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Not sure then, I've been reading out J10 and K10 and it doesn't seem like either work

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
H11 captures a minimum of four stones.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

That's why I'm not 10k :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Color me crazy but doesn't Foggy's first answer also capture a minimum of 4 stones. But I guess H11 leaves you with a better end position.