Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

cryme posted:

I think the whole idea is pretty stupid to be honest but I bet a good way to ease someone into black metal is to start with some shoegazy stuff
Yeah, something like Alcest to introduce them to some of the tropes of the genre in a less hostile way would probably work okay, though I kind of agree that I don't see much point to trying to get someone into black metal if they don't like metal beyond numetal to begin with. It's nice to share interests and all, but not really worth forcing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The first step is probably to get them okay with devil worship which is usually the stumbling block for most girls

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
There's nothing wrong with having music that's just for you. that's the whole point of BM anyway.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

There's nothing wrong with having music that's just for you. that's the whole point of BM anyway.
Ihsahn sold out when he started making music with his wife.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Maybe wifecore will replace metalcore (pretending there's a difference anyway)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

Maybe wifecore will replace metalcore (pretending there's a difference anyway)
I AM
SO loving METAL
AND SO IS MY WIFE
(I am his wiiiiiiiiiife)
SHUT UP

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

nipple spikes will replace gauntlets and corpsepaint will take 3 hours to put on

we're on to something here

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

From my experience it's easier to familiarize girls with lovely southern lord black metal bands than with Jesus Lizard, Shellac or Amebix. Women are dumb and vapid

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Can someone just quote door.txt already?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
another possible way would to start saying anti-semitic things to get her to hate the jews to get her into NSBM.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

dxt posted:

another possible way would to start saying anti-semitic things to get her to hate the jews to get her into NSBM.

"What do you want to do tonight honey?"
"Well I've got this can of gas and there IS a church up the street..."

Families that torch churches together stay together

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So I guess Infernus won the dispute over the name Gorgoroth?

"Oslo City District Court has today [Tuesday, March 10] delivered a
verdict on the main question in the GORGOROTH trademark case, which
took place at the end of January 2009. The court has decided that King
ov Hell's trademark registration #243365 of the band name GORGOROTH is
NOT valid and shall therefore be deleted. The court states that King
ov Hell and Gaahl excluded themselves from the band GORGOROTH when
they tried to fire Infernus in October 2007. The court further states
that Infernus cannot be excluded from GORGOROTH, unless he himself
decides to quit. Infernus is very pleased, but not surprised, by this
verdict. The remaining issues concerning financial matters and such
are yet to be decided upon."

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I don't give a poo poo if anyone gets to use it ever again. I just want this sissy slapfighting to end and everyone starts writing.

Personally I expect better poo poo coming from gaahl and king but I'm curious to hear if Infernus really is that uninvolved in the writing like those two say.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I agree with Morbid Florist. I like both factions of the group, but iirc, King did most if not all of the writing on the last couple of albums. Old Gorgoroth is a classic BM band, thanks to Infernus' writing, and it'll be interesting to hear what he puts out in the next couple of years. For his sake and his die-hard fans, I hope it's a return to the Antichrist/Pentagram days.

On the flipside, I hope Gaahl and King keep going in the direction they have been. The last few Gorgoroth albums are pretty sweet IMO.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I could care less if either group uses the name. Personally, I prefer to see them come up with something totally original. Maybe, "An Old Smelly Witch's oval office", "The Rotting Forest of the Northern Black Hills" or "The Foolish Nazarene". If they wanted to stick with the whole Tolkien name thing like Gorgoroth, I'd say, "Oh My, The Shire Is Burning and Frodo Is High On Pipeweed!" Now that's real metal.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
OMTSIBFIHOP is pretty loving kvlt. And for sure, Gorgoroth is a cool word, but now there is a lot of stigma attached to it. Who gives a poo poo what name they use, as long as they all keep writing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

My vote is for "Cuntchrist McShitwheel"

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

"Sauron Sodomy"

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

OMTSIBFIHOP is pretty loving kvlt. And for sure, Gorgoroth is a cool word, but now there is a lot of stigma attached to it. Who gives a poo poo what name they use, as long as they all keep writing.

As much as black metal is supposed to be about introspection and noncommerciality, there are a lot of angsty teens out there who have a GorgorotH patch on their hot topic bag and will only buy albums with names they recognize.

edit: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115816 holy poo poo

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 10, 2009

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Kaiho posted:

As much as black metal is supposed to be about introspection and noncommerciality, there are a lot of angsty teens out there who have a GorgorotH patch on their hot topic bag and will only buy albums with names they recognize.

edit: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115816 holy poo poo

I had a friend who worked a summer at Hot Topic. I asked if he could get sweet t-shirts for cheap, but looked at me funny when I named off bands. Which is for the better, I suppose. Let the scene kids buy what they want, I just want new albums from these guys.

I saw your post in the other metal thread about Varg. Grrreeeeaaat. I've said it before, the best thing he's done for metal in recent years is stay in jail.

Also: "Barad-dûûm"

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

the best thing he's done for metal in recent years is stay in jail.

Also: "Barad-dûûm"

Let it be said for the record that I am not, and never have been, a fan of Kristian "Varg" Vikernes the person (and have some difficulty listening to his music due to his actions/statements). It's just that him getting out of jail is, well, a bit of a milestone. He was in jail when I got into metal so it's hard to think of him out.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Just as long as he doesn't do what Jon of Dissection did, and ruin his band, good for him.

I can't believe he's getting out, I figured he was in there forever. I will admit that IF he can do something on par with Aske or Filosofem, I would be fired up. But I don't expect it that's for sure.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Morbid Florist posted:

I can't believe he's getting out, I figured he was in there forever. I will admit that IF he can do something on par with Aske or Filosofem, I would be fired up. But I don't expect it that's for sure.

I remember reading somewhere that if he decides to make music again, it was going to be in the vein of Filosofem. Not sure how reliable or true that is but I'm hoping for it too.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Unacknowledged posted:

I remember reading somewhere that if he decides to make music again, it was going to be in the vein of Filosofem. Not sure how reliable or true that is but I'm hoping for it too.

Let's just hope it's more towards the Jesu Dod end of the album and not the Radio Shack keyboard end of it

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm sure that Norway is fairly similar to Denmark in that a life sentence usually doesn't mean more than 14 years. The only way to really get locked away forever is if you're deemed to be criminally insane, then they can lock you up for good.

The longest time served in modern time in Denmark was 33 years and he was only kept in so long because he shot four cops during a robbery.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

The longest time served in modern time in Denmark was 33 years and he was only kept in so long because he shot four cops during a robbery.

They should have offered him a job instead since he's a better shot than at least 4 of their own

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

They should have offered him a job instead since he's a better shot than at least 4 of their own

Back then cops didn't carry guns as part of their standard outfit, just clubs. That changed after that incident.

Ours was a peace loving community.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!

MrBling posted:

I'm sure that Norway is fairly similar to Denmark in that a life sentence usually doesn't mean more than 14 years. The only way to really get locked away forever is if you're deemed to be criminally insane, then they can lock you up for good.

Well, there is no life sentence in Norway, not even nominally. Vikernes was sentenced to 21 years (the most possible) + 10 years "sikring". The thing is that most convicts only serve 2/3 of their sentence, provided their behavior in prison is good.

So, considering he was arrested in August of 2003, he has actually served almost 16 years, which is more than 2/3. I'm thinking this is because he escaped a few years ago.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a new Filosofem.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I don't know why this keeps getting billed as "escaping." They let him out for the weekend and he didn't come back.

I don't understand how Norway thinks that is a good idea.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

I don't know why this keeps getting billed as "escaping." They let him out for the weekend and he didn't come back.

I don't understand how Norway thinks that is a good idea.

They don't treat their prisoners like caged animals so that when they get out, they don't continue to act like caged animals like we do here. If you have a connection to your old life by getting weekend passes, you're way more likely to keep that in mind when you're inside.

On the other hand ask a US inmate who's done 30 years what life means to him.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Morbid Florist posted:

Just as long as he doesn't do what Jon of Dissection did, and ruin his band, good for him.

Jon should've released Reinkaos under a different band name, considering how different its music was from its predecessors. That said, Varg should've done the same thing with his last two Burzum albums. I don't care if he makes music again or not, but if he does, it better be on par with Aske or Filosofem if it's released under the Burzum banner.

I am surprised he's being released so soon, considering his parole was denied again this past June.

Unacknowledged posted:

Varg said it himself on his official site, so I'd imagine it's fairly reliable. Then again, he is prone to changing his mind a lot.

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells

Misogynist posted:

Maybe not escaping from prison, but it certainly sounds like he was at least trying to escape his sentence. From Wikipedia:

"He was found riding in a stolen Volvo car, which, according to the media, contained an unloaded AG3 automatic rifle, a handgun, numerous large knives, a gas mask, camouflage clothing, a laptop, a compass, a Global Positioning System, various maps and a fake passport"

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!
Yeah, apparently he planned on fleeing to Russia where he wanted to join the Russian army and fight in Chechnya.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Varg being released from jail isn't nearly as amazing as it sounds. He hasn't been relevant in the black metal scene for a long time, and frankly he made quite a few enemies anyway.

I like the early Burzum stuff but Varg dug his own grave. (No pun intended.)

I do give Varg credit though: his actions are what got me into black metal in the first place, when my sister had me listen to the Nordic Metal: Tribute to Euronymous CD that Necropolis Records put out after Varg killed him. It's basically a black metal compilation where bands hailed Euronymous as a pioneer and declared they wanted to kill Varg when he got out of jail (and the CD itself has an image of him and the word "Anti-oval office" over it.) I was fascinated by that whole Norwegian story and I never looked back.

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
What is so bad about WITTR outside of the fact that hipsters like them???

Also outside of Burzum, what "ATMOSPHERIC" black metal bands should be recommended??

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

It doesn't get more atmospheric than Summoning. Nokturnal Mortum's earlier poo poo (Twilightfall, Lunar Poetry) should be right up your alley, too. Their later releases are NSBM, so if you're not into that kind of thing, you might want to avoid them. Drudkh would be another good choice.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

dgt posted:

What is so bad about WITTR outside of the fact that hipsters like them???

They're just not very good.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Come now, it's very simple music (for simple people hurr), but I think they showed a strong sense of melody on Two Hunters, which is quite appealing to me.

It really is simple though, I can't think of another BM band that I can pick up a guitar and learn the guitar lines by ear seemingly instantly...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Caerus posted:

Well, there is no life sentence in Norway, not even nominally.

It is, however, possible to be sentenced to "forvaring" (i.e. a form of custody) above and beyond the regular prison sentence. Up to five years can be doled out at a time, and it can be renewed indefinitely, theoretically lasting for the rest of the perpetrator's life. This is technically not so much a punishment, but more of a protective/preventative act by the court. It is used only in cases where the perpetrator is considered likely to be a major danger to society (repeat-offending muderers, arsonists etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Morbid Florist posted:

They don't treat their prisoners like caged animals so that when they get out, they don't continue to act like caged animals like we do here.

Or at least that is the theory.

It does seem to work in practice at least some of the time.