Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Noise Machine posted:

Can anyone recommend me a compilation or a starting point for dub artists? Been wanting to get into dub for a long time but never knew where to start.

Augustus Pablo is one of the kings of dub. Any sort of "Greatest Hits" compilation from him would be a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Noise Machine posted:

Can anyone recommend me a compilation or a starting point for dub artists? Been wanting to get into dub for a long time but never knew where to start.

Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown
Scientist - Scientist Rids the World of the Curse of the Evil Vampires
King Tubby - Dub From the Roots
Lee "Scratch" Perry - Arkology
Mad Professor - Dubs From the Early 80's

I tried to pick a single album for each one but included a couple compilations since especially with Scratch it's really hard to single out just one, and the Arkology compilation is really good.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Can anyone recommend me some music like Sonic Youth, so I guess some Alternative Rock with Noise Rock influences?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

bovis posted:

Can anyone recommend me some music like Sonic Youth, so I guess some Alternative Rock with Noise Rock influences?

I'd highly recommend You're Living all over Me by Dinosaur Jr. It's more rock than noise, but I personally prefer it to Daydream Nation because of it's shorter, more conventional song structures. If you browse allmusic's American Underground tag you'll find other similar artists from the 80s. Or if you really want to learn more about those bands, read Our Band Could be Your Life by Michael Azerrad, which features chapters on over a dozen bands of the era, including Sonic Youth.

For something relatively more recent, check out Source Tags and Codes by ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead.

Duckforce Alpha
May 23, 2006
D:
Where do I get started with Animal Collective and Unkle? Edit: and Godspeed You Black Emperor

And can anyone recommend me artists similar to 65 days of static? Other than explosions in the sky, ratatat, or m83.

Duckforce Alpha fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 9, 2009

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Unkle?
Go pick up Psyence Fiction.

Anyone have anything to reccommend in the vein of Peter Broderick and Max Richter?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bambi posted:

What are some of the better, "clubbier" hip-hop remixes?

Bird Peterson's remix of 'Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin' To gently caress With' is utter class - check that out

Duckforce Alpha posted:

And can anyone recommend me artists similar to 65 days of static? Other than explosions in the sky, ratatat, or m83.

maybeshewill are the biggest 65dos rip off band there is. It's scary how much they emulate them.

You might want to have a listen to Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies, too. They've done a fair bit of touring with 65dos, and have been remixed by them. They're only a wee bit similar, but if you like one you will probably like the other

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Where do I get started with Animal Collective and Unkle? Edit: and Godspeed You Black Emperor

tl;dr - Start with Feels or Sung Tongs

There's like 100 ways to get started on Animal Collective. I think you should just read these descriptions of the albums and start with what appeals to you most:

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - Their first. Sometimes nice and accessible but often covered in super-sonic buzzing that I've heard can permanently damage your ears. You can basically hear the next 3-4 albums' start in this album, especially with the characteristically loopy and melodic AC vocals, but it's not one I'd start with. Folky and acoustic in parts with plenty of electronic weirdness and experimentation. Probably where they got their "freak folk" label from. Bat You'll Fly

Here Comes the Indian - Arguably their strangest album (not counting the super-experimental live album Hollindagin). I haven't listened to this one as much as the others, but it has some great moments. Lots of noise, lots of bizarreness, strong percussion. The tone is really dark and some of the songs downright scary. You probably shouldn't start here. It reminds me of some of Michael Gira's recent output. Hey Light

Sung Tongs - Suddenly AC turns 180 and plays happier, folkier indie stuff. Still weird, though. This isn't Jose Gonzalez or some "indie folk" poo poo. But it is acoustic guitar-heavy and has a lot of intricate, beautiful vocal work. Leaf House is an obvious standout and an incredible song. I consider this album the first of AC's great albums. It's a logical place to start, but as the album goes on the songs do tend to get less coherent.

Feels - Continuing the melodic elements of Sung Tongs, but introducing looped elements in a big way. Some songs repeat a single looped sample for minutes (such as the lugubrious Bees) but other use similar effects in a more pop-oriented way. This is a transition album for sure, between the acoustic world of Sung Tongs and the electronic/looping elements of Strawberry Jam and Merriweather. But as such, you get a great feel of AC's versatility, and the album is packed with fantastic songs. Another good place to start if you want to decide whether to lean towards earlier acoustic stuff or later electronic stuff. Once again, things slow down as the album progresses. I think Purple Bottle and Did You See The Words are masterpieces. (PS don't actually watch the Purple Bottle video of some weird-looking indie girls roll around trying to grab attention for six minutes.)

Strawberry Jam - Enter the MPC. This album is built on samples and synths. The album's title describes how it sounds: gooey, rich, sweet, thick. There are the same great melodies, a bit more emotive screaming (which was present before but very noticeable in this one), and the albums is moving towards something you could kind of dance to. This album is sharp and visceral and heavy on the highs. I got hooked on AC with this album, but I may have been better served starting earlier.For Reverend Green

Merriweather Post Pavilion - Their newest. Cream dream of Pitchfork, entry into the "mainstream." Definitely the most accessible AC album, and for that reason many recommend it as a starting point. There are dance-ish beats here, super-cool synths and beautiful harmonies. A lot of repetition. There's not much of an analog for any of AC's music, but this one at least uses elements that are more recognizable. My Girls and Brothersport cover the gamut of this album's sounds, for the most part. As far as an entry in AC, I'd start somewhere sooner. I think this album is best appreciated as a continuance of earlier themes in AC's evolution.

That was a lot longer than I expected, and I left out two albums that I'm not very familiar with (Danse Manatee and Campfire Songs). Hope this helps. Any other AC fans should correct me if I'm mistaken about something.

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

Noise Machine posted:

keith hudson - pick a dub
king tubby - meets rockers uptown <-critical
king tubby - king tubby's special 1973-1976
king tubby - dub gone crazy
the revolutionaries - reaction in dub
the revolutionaries - black ash dub <- critical
the upsetters - 14 dub blackboard jungle <-also critical
the upsetters - the good the bad and the upsetters
scientist & king jammy - strike back
lee perry - revolution dub
prince/king jammy - kamikazi dub
prince/king jammy - destroys the invaders
ranking dread - ranking dread in dub (this has an amazing version of ranking dread's hit fatty boom boom)

once you get into dub, i'd recommend starting to get into rub a dub, which is dancehall with a dub backing. artists in this style are mostly from the late 70s through the 80s. artists like yellowman, nicodemus, louie lepkie, big youth, billy boyo, dr. alimantado, ranking toyan, michigan and smiley, etc. great stuff once you're into dub.

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS
Sep 22, 2008

:f5h::allears::fh:
Loves You
So I need some music. I'm into many types of music, but my favorite has to be Indie/Folk, such as the following;

-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Iron and Wine
-Fleet Foxes
-Andrew Bird
-Wolf Parade

Could I get some bands/artists that are similar to these?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

So I need some music. I'm into many types of music, but my favorite has to be Indie/Folk, such as the following;

-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Iron and Wine
-Fleet Foxes
-Andrew Bird
-Wolf Parade

Check out "Cotton Teeth" by The Snake, The Cross, The Crown.

Acoustic indie goodness, strings, piano, catchy as hell songs, just great stuff.

For more folk/less indie, Joanna Newsom. But she's not for everybody. I'm completely obsessed with her right now though.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 11, 2009

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I really like the song Beautiful Girls by Sean Kingston, is there anything I should check out that's similar to that? I like the way he sings in that song, sounds kinda reggae I guess?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Watch Wick'd on BET Jazz if you have digital cable because they play crossover young Jamacain guys like that all the time. There's thousands of them.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Iron and Wine
-Fleet Foxes
-Andrew Bird
-Wolf Parade

Try Grizzly Bear and Beach House.

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Iron and Wine
-Fleet Foxes
-Andrew Bird
-Wolf Parade

- Six Organs of Admittance
- The Acorn
- Final Fantasy
- The Dodos (I'm currently in love with them)
- The Straw Bear Band
- Timber Timbre
- Destroyer
- White Magic

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Max Richter?

Some of Rachel's stuff is pretty similiar especially the Systems/Layers album.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.
Can any one recommend me any happy space disco in the style of Lindstrøm?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Here's what I'm into:

Silversun Pickups
MGMT
Harvey Danger
The Killers
Pixies
The Smiths
Murder by Death
Interpol

So basically alt/indie stuff where the sound is dictated by the singer and bassist. Any suggestions?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

19charactersorless. posted:

Can any one recommend me any happy space disco in the style of Lindstrøm?

You need to get some Daniel Wang in your life my friend. Start with the I Was a Disco Malcontent compilation first, then the Idealism album, then everything else that was only released on vinyl. Everything this guy touches is classic.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I'm looking for something with heavily distorted guitars and a dance beat.

In the same vein as Death From Above 1979, Gang Of Four (although I don't really like the hollowness of some of their sound) and even Le-Tigre's - TKO.

On another vein, anything that is similar to White Stripes' - Girl You Have No Faith In Medicine.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Cyne posted:

You need to get some Daniel Wang in your life my friend. Start with the I Was a Disco Malcontent compilation first, then the Idealism album, then everything else that was only released on vinyl. Everything this guy touches is classic.

You, my friend, are the reason why this thread exists! Any other recommendations?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

19charactersorless. posted:

You, my friend, are the reason why this thread exists! Any other recommendations?

Metro Area - s/t. Includes most of the Metro Area 1-4 tracks (edited down for time) but not all. On the vinyl side, Metro Area 5 might be a skip, I like it but it's a bit different from their other material and I can understand why some people were disappointed with it. 6 and 7 are both pure classic Metro Area though and very essential.

Todd Terje has a few really, really great twelves of this stuff. He's still remixing but hasn't released anything new in a few years unfortunately.

I would also advise checking out the Moodmusic ten year anniversary compilation which has got a ton of great stuff on it.

MavonBarksfield
Nov 25, 2008

by Ozma
Hey does anyone know where's a good place to start with Ghanan/West African Highlife music? I'm kind of stumped here and I'd really like to get into it more. Thanks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

MavonBarksfield posted:

Hey does anyone know where's a good place to start with Ghanan/West African Highlife music? I'm kind of stumped here and I'd really like to get into it more. Thanks.

Where exactly are you stumped? Are you past the "Rough Guide to x" stage or a total beginner?

Also, I'm slightly offended that you went to NMD and not straight to me...

MavonBarksfield
Nov 25, 2008

by Ozma

HAI posted:

Where exactly are you stumped? Are you past the "Rough Guide to x" stage or a total beginner?

Also, I'm slightly offended that you went to NMD and not straight to me...

I've read, like, one guide and I know Osibisa and a few others but not much beyond that. It's just hard to know where to start when you have a genre that goes back such a long time.

(Also I didn't go straight to you because I don't want to bug you every time I don't know something about African music, but it seems like it turned out like that anyway v:shobon:v)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

MavonBarksfield posted:

I've read, like, one guide and I know Osibisa and a few others but not much beyond that. It's just hard to know where to start when you have a genre that goes back such a long time.

(Also I didn't go straight to you because I don't want to bug you every time I don't know something about African music, but it seems like it turned out like that anyway v:shobon:v)

Well, I wouldn't think too much of Osibisa, the first LP has a couple of songs that could be called highlife with a huge reach, but it's "world fusion" more than anything.

The Rough Guide to Highlife is a pretty good introduction I think, it's got tunes by some major players and gives a pretty clear picture of what '50s-'60s highlife sounds like. And you've probably heard Nigeria Special, but it and other similar Nigeria comps have some highlife tunes here and there even if the emphasis is on funk. Nonesuch also released something called "Voices of Africa: High-Life and Other Popular Music" way back when but I haven't heard it. They can usually be trusted though.

For individual artists, Fela's early LPs and singles are really good, everything he did before the '69 LA sessions was cool as hell highlife. The "Live at the Afro-spot" LP is straight fire, maybe my favourite album in the whole genre. I've got all that stuff on a Japanese 3CD comp called "Highlife-jazz and Afro-soul", I don't know how widely they're available elsewhere.

Another favourite is Sir Victor Uwaifo, Soundway released a comp called Guitar-Boy Superstar last year but most of his LPs are worth hearing, especially the ones titled Ekassa something are total classics.

Prince Nico Mbarga is pretty much required listening, his debut single (I think) "Sweet Mother" is, like, the most famous African song ever and the #1 classic of the genre. That early stuff sounds pretty naïve to me but that's just personal preference, I've some LP he did with Ikenga Super Stars of Africa who are pretty amazing I think: their LP "Late Celestine Ukwu Special" tributes the legendary singer of the same name who died in a car crash of something, it's got just two 20min tunes and is just crazy guitar interplay and improvs all the way with some little vocals to spice it up, totally chill.

Orlando Julius is another really good one, his hit LP "Super Afro Soul" was released last year by Vampisoul (I think) paired with "Orlando's Afro Ideas", which isn't highlife anymore but just totally heavy funk.

E.T. Mensah's comp "All For You" is a real good showcase of this rly poppy '50s and early '60s highlife which you may or may not dig, it's a bit kitchy but got some really good playing even in the lesser songs.

Beyond that, you might dig Solomon Ilori, Dan Satch, Kabaka International Guitar Band, Oliver de Coque, Dr. Sir Warrior (yes, so many of them have imaginative titles, cf. juju singer Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey), Chief Stephen Osita Osadebe, the aforementioned Celestine Ukwu and uhh... I can't think of any more right now. Good thing there's a ton of blogs devoted to upping obscure African LPs, innit?

Glad to help.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Iron and Wine
-Fleet Foxes
-Andrew Bird
-Wolf Parade

Check out Akron/Family's self-titled album if you want some folk/indie that's perhaps a little more experimental. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

MavonBarksfield
Nov 25, 2008

by Ozma
@HAI: Thank you so much.

Duckforce Alpha
May 23, 2006
D:
Where do I get started with They Might Be Giants? I remember hearing them a while back, and watching Coraline like 3 or 4 times has made me quite interested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Where do I get started with They Might Be Giants? I remember hearing them a while back, and watching Coraline like 3 or 4 times has made me quite interested.

They have a ton of albums... their most popular, as far as I know, are Flood, Apollo 18 and Lincoln. All of them are very good. Flood was my first TMBG album, so I may be biased, but I think it's their most accessible, and it also has their two best known singles (Particle Man and Istanbul). I haven't liked their most recent stuff very much.

TMBG is a pretty weird band so try to listen to samples from multiple albums and see what you think.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
This is more of lyrical themes, then a genre. But what are some good English speaking bands/artists, whose lyrics generally deal with the life in other, non English speaking countries, good or bad.

(Like K'Naan and Somalia, or M.I.A about Sri Lanka)

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

Duckforce Alpha posted:

I'd say get their compilation/greatest hits CD, A Users Guide to They Might Be Giants. I covers pretty much everything (29 tracks), and can be found cheap.

I'm also partial to John Henry. It's just an all-around solid CD.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So I just got Soon It Will be Cold Enough by Emancipator and I'd really like to find some music similar to it. Does anyone know any great down-tempo artists?

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Pious Pete posted:

I'd say get their compilation/greatest hits CD, A Users Guide to They Might Be Giants. I covers pretty much everything (29 tracks), and can be found cheap.

I'm also partial to John Henry. It's just an all-around solid CD.

I don't recommend the compilation thing, unless you really just want the singles. TMBG's first two albums were golden, and almost every song on the album was a fun listen.

For example, this compilation misses classics from Flood like Dead, We Want A Rock, Whistling In The Dark, Letterbox, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair and Women & Men.

Apollo 18 is a little better-represented on that album linked, but it's still missing impressive tracks like Dinner Bell, See The Constellation, My Evil Twin and Which Describes How You're Feeling All The Time. Buy this and Flood, and get a taste. Once you've had your taste, decide if you want to jump-in any deeper.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Yeah, compilations aren't really a great way to get into TMBG- their best-ofs really don't do a good job of actually representing their best songs. Flood is indeed their most accessible early album, probably because it's somewhat less eclectic than most. I'm going to have to recommend The Else as a starting point, though- consistently quality tunes (one of them a Coraline outtake) that adequately represent the breadth of TMBG's musical styles.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

I think there is one good compilation for a They Might Be Giants primer--Then: The Earlier Years. It's their first two albums and a ton of great rarities. Follow that with Flood.

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
Looking for something similar to 3OH!3, Postal Service, HelloGoodbye type music. Leaning more towards the 3OH!3 rap/rock/electronica sound.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Um, I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking, but can anyone recommend me a biography of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd? There are tons of them out there, and I'm sure tons of those are bad, so which should I read?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I'm after some music to chill out to, pretty much. Smooth music. Stuff you'd listen to if you were white, 45 and owned a swimming pool.

Some tracks I've been digging lately are:

Michael Jackson - Human Nature
Steely Dan - Almost Gothic
Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen
Walter Becker - Downtown Canon
The Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes
Electric Six - Lucifer Airlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Coupon Wizard posted:

I'm after some music to chill out to, pretty much. Smooth music. Stuff you'd listen to if you were white, 45 and owned a swimming pool.

Some tracks I've been digging lately are:

Michael Jackson - Human Nature
Steely Dan - Almost Gothic
Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen
Walter Becker - Downtown Canon
The Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes
Electric Six - Lucifer Airlines

I think you really need to watch these, in order, starting with #1:
http://www.channel101.com/shows/show.php?show_id=152