Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Kynetx posted:

Ok, so here's what I ended up with.

I went in with every intention of just buying this.

$239.99

That is a craigslist level bargain on a brand new unit. Congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

RealKyleH posted:

That is a craigslist level bargain on a brand new unit. Congrats.

Just so I know--coming from storing all my tools in the packing they come in or thrown in a toolbox--how do you actually organize those things?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I suppose theres many ways to do it but I have an air tools drawer, a ratchet and extensions drawer, a grinding and sanding drawer, etc. by purpose.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I do mine by type of tool EAch gets it's own drawer, screwdrivers, pliars, Sockets/Extentions/etc all take up two drawers. A small drawer for my nut drivers. A drawer holds my bits taps, and tap holders.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
I put hand tools in the top compartment of mine.
First drawer is screwdrivers and screwdriver looking tools.
Next is 1/4" socket stuff. Followed by 3/8" and 1/2" each getting their own drawer. 1/2 shares some space with BFH accessories, chisels and impact drivers. Next shelf is open end wrenches, metric and SAE adjustable wrenches, and duplicate or odd sockets like o2 sensor, allen or torx. And then we have hammers. Ball peen, selection of claw hammers, dead blows, rubber mallet, wonderbar, nail puller. I have placeholder waiting to be filled with all manner of air tools, currently filled with bags and small containers to hold all the goddamnits that turn up in a garage. This drawer also contains a shitpile of These way cool free connectors I scored Then it is power tools, soldering iron, o/a regulators, grinder, sander that kind of stuff in the bottom drawers.

I got a Mitivac tonight to aid in the replacement of a brake hose on my buddies car. I like it, sure made bleeding easy. I think I need to hit garage sales this spring to get a nicer set of wrenches I got pretty frustrated with the crapsmen tolerances tonight. It's ok, I found that a channel lock and some finesse works well in place of a 10mm open end. While I am at it I think I'll look for a nice half inch ratchet. I think my abuse has taken its toll on mine.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

ChiliMac posted:

Just so I know--coming from storing all my tools in the packing they come in or thrown in a toolbox--how do you actually organize those things?

However you want. That's the beauty of it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

drat, I'm in the same boat with a black car that is loaded with swirl marks from what looks like a carwash. I think the PC one is out of my budget and experience right now. I'm going to grab a Craftsman 7" random orbit polisher and give it a shot this weekend, worst case I'm only out $30. I'm hoping clay bar, scratch remover, polish, and wax will at least knock down the swirl marks.

The main thing I noticed when looking at the craftsman 7" RO polisher is there don't seem to be pads available for it, just bonnets. They call them polishing bonnets but they're really for applying / removing wax, not polishing. When using a porter cable part of the polishing process is selecting the proper pad (they're usually color coded, yellow has the most cutting power, then orange, then white, etc).

Of course some of the reviews said it works ok, so who knows, and I'm sure you could rig up a way to use pads (just add velcro that's sticky on one side I guess).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah Sears was actually out of all the 7" bonnets, apparently they're switching suppliers or something so they won't be in stock for weeks. It's supposed to rain anyways this weekend so I might hold off on detailing the exterior a week.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

So I went to a garage sale and bought some tools today

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I bought 2x 1/2" ratchets, breaker bar, torque wrench, and a gently caress ton of sockets
3/8" ratchet, and a gently caress ton of sockets
1/4" ratchet, and a gently caress ton of sockets
a gently caress ton of hand wrenches
SAE re-tapping tools
some ramps

Most of the tools are Craftsman or Proto/Challenger. Unfortunately most of it is SAE and I am looking for metrics, but at $60 for the whole thing I figured it was worth it regardless. As it stands, I now have to buy a 13mm 3/8" socket, and a 13mm ratcheting box-end hand wrench, and that should cover most of the hand tools.

I still have a couple questions about what I should do though. I now have a whole poo poo ton of nice SAE tools I don't think I need. Should I keep at least one set of the sockets for each size, and sell the rest? I know I shouldn't get rid of all of them because you never know when you'll need a certain tool, but do you think it'd be worth it to try to sell the extras on e-bay most likely, and use that towards buying more tools or just keep it? I essentially have an extra set of each size SAE sockets, either Proto or Craftsman, that I could sell and still have one of every size.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
I would keep the extras for a mobile or junkyard box.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Keep some extras, try to trade the rest on GarageJournal. Lots of SAE-wanters.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Holy poo poo dude, nice haul. I'm getting excited for garage sale/flea market season.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Keep some extras, try to trade the rest on GarageJournal. Lots of SAE-wanters.

I need to do this. I have a decent bit of duplicates - first from me getting a small socket set as a gift when I was a kid, then a much larger set later on, and then inheriting what's left of my late father-in-law's collection. drat shame that apparently much of that set was given away years ago - even what's left is all old Craftsman at worst, and there's some Mac / Snapon / other low-volume high-end brands mixed in.

It also isn't helped that I had to buy a whole set of Craftsman 3/8" metric sockets, just to get the 3/8" drive 21mm.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Edit: Apparently Fleet and Challenger were both tool sets made by Proto, ignore this post then.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 9, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Todays woot is a 2-pack stanley 1/4" drive socket set with SAE and Metric sockets in nice carrying cases. Great for sitting behind the seat for that time when your fan belt breaks and you're 50 miles from home. Also good for giving to people you'd like to not have to go pick up when they're 50 miles from home without tools.

http://www.woot.com/

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Goddamn, I came here to post that.

I just picked them up. I plan on throwing the two sets in the remaining family cars that don't have any tools at all.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I bought two sets of these last time they came on woot. The sockets are decent. The ratchet itself is somewhat rough, but didn't leave me with the "I'm going to lose my knuckles" feel.

They're probably worth the $12 individually, much less as a set of two.

I may well be buying another two sets. :-)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I was excited by that woot, until I read 1/4 drive. Hopefully woot will have more Stanley recession close outs.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I was excited by that woot, until I read 1/4 drive. Hopefully woot will have more Stanley recession close outs.

I saw that too and picked it up anyway. It's a good set for using as a drill accessory.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I too check out woot, and considered purchasing the little socket sets for the car(s). The only socket that I would likely ever use is the 12mm, the 10mm and 8mm might get used once or twice.

for my car, a 12, 14 and 17 are about all you will need.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Its a great little set, perfect for stashing in the ditch bag, or taking on a road trip in a crappy car. The ratchet isn't anything to write home about, but it'll do in a pinch. I bought 2 this morning.

Davus
Jul 15, 2006
guy who types on computers
The woot kit would have definitely been worth it for some, at least as a starter, but even on my Civic I need higher than just 13 mm to remove anything that could break.

I'm considering picking up a Harbor Freight powder coat gun, have been for some time now (stepdad is also very interested in it). http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94244 I'd definitely get a Craigslist oven or equivalent to cure the items in, as I'm unsure how palatable powder is. What's your experience with powder coating machines, brands in particular?

Update: Got one!
I woke up this afternoon and here it was. There's a parking lot HF sale going on in my area, and my stepdad got the one item not on sale.

Davus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 14, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
HF has a 10% off everything coupon. Not the best they've offered but good for making things on double sale or if you need something more expensive from there that doesnt often go on a great sale.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Is this 10% off about the best I'm going to get on that 89.99 aluminum racing jack and some of the 3 ton jackstands?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Korwen posted:

Is this 10% off about the best I'm going to get on that 89.99 aluminum racing jack and some of the 3 ton jackstands?

Assuming you get the emails, maybe... Maybe not. 20% coupons have been making the rounds lately.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
They do 15% and 20% coupons now and then but not that often. If you have something to do its not a big cost difference.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Kynetx posted:

Assuming you get the emails, maybe... Maybe not. 20% coupons have been making the rounds lately.

I do not get the e-mails, but I will be now. I don't have anything to do right now, I was just hoping to wait for a good deal.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Make a list of everything you need/want and when a 20% does come around one of us will for sure post it. Go and buy the whole list because you really can't do better than 20% off everything.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
What's the general consensus on the best floor jack for under $100? I don't need it to be lightweight or anything, I just need it to work. I bought a cheap kit with a compact jack and two stands from Northern Tool a few months ago and I've used it a grand total of 4 times now and after the third use it's basically done for. Won't hold any hydraulic pressure and I have to pump like crazy to get it to lift the car and then rush to get the stand under there. The pressure release is tightened all the way so that's definitely not the issue. I wouldn't mind something that has a lift greater than 14 or so inches either. I think my current one is 14 3/8 and that's barely enough to get it on the jack stands and the tires are almost touching the ground at the height which makes rotating tires difficult with little clearance.

I figure I'll probably just get a new jack with a higher lift and another set of jack stands to make things easier on me. Any suggestions for a decent, but not expensive jack? I like the aluminum HF one, but that lift height is about the same as what I already own.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

rockcity posted:

What's the general consensus on the best floor jack for under $100? I don't need it to be lightweight or anything, I just need it to work. I bought a cheap kit with a compact jack and two stands from Northern Tool a few months ago and I've used it a grand total of 4 times now and after the third use it's basically done for. Won't hold any hydraulic pressure and I have to pump like crazy to get it to lift the car and then rush to get the stand under there. The pressure release is tightened all the way so that's definitely not the issue. I wouldn't mind something that has a lift greater than 14 or so inches either. I think my current one is 14 3/8 and that's barely enough to get it on the jack stands and the tires are almost touching the ground at the height which makes rotating tires difficult with little clearance.

I figure I'll probably just get a new jack with a higher lift and another set of jack stands to make things easier on me. Any suggestions for a decent, but not expensive jack? I like the aluminum HF one, but that lift height is about the same as what I already own.
Northern just sells chinese crap like HF, but they charge way more. gently caress them.
I've got the HF AL jack, and its been an awesome little jack. If you need more height, I just use a lifting block (a piece of 4x4 that I stick on top of the jack). Jack up, insert stand, jack down, insert block, jack up, readjust stand. Repeat as needed.

If you need a higher lift, HF has their 3-ton jack. That will hit 20", but only goes down to 5.5". I really don't know what to suggest about jackstands. Craftsman and HF's are chinese, and not particularly good anymore. I've got an old US-made pair and a newer smaller Chinese pair. Neither has given me any trouble.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Northern just sells chinese crap like HF, but they charge way more. gently caress them.
I've got the HF AL jack, and its been an awesome little jack. If you need more height, I just use a lifting block (a piece of 4x4 that I stick on top of the jack). Jack up, insert stand, jack down, insert block, jack up, readjust stand. Repeat as needed.

If you need a higher lift, HF has their 3-ton jack. That will hit 20", but only goes down to 5.5". I really don't know what to suggest about jackstands. Craftsman and HF's are chinese, and not particularly good anymore. I've got an old US-made pair and a newer smaller Chinese pair. Neither has given me any trouble.

Yeah, I saw that 3 ton heavy duty one. I may take a look at that. Looks like I could get it for $72 with that 10% off coupon. The jackstands that came with my cheap floor jack seem to work just fine so far, no problems with those. I don't think the 5.5" would be a problem for my current car, I'd guess I have about 7" under where I put the jack. Using a chunk of wood sounds like it could be a decent idea too if I went for the aluminum one.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I saw that 3 ton heavy duty one. I may take a look at that. Looks like I could get it for $72 with that 10% off coupon. The jackstands that came with my cheap floor jack seem to work just fine so far, no problems with those. I don't think the 5.5" would be a problem for my current car, I'd guess I have about 7" under where I put the jack. Using a chunk of wood sounds like it could be a decent idea too if I went for the aluminum one.

I've never heard of jackstands failing, even lovely ones. I attribute this to their being pretty foolproof as long as they're not made of plastic or something. I'd pay a little more for one that didn't mar up the driveway without necessitating a wood board placed under them, though I'm not sure if such a jackstand design exists.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jared592 posted:

I've never heard of jackstands failing, even lovely ones. I attribute this to their being pretty foolproof as long as they're not made of plastic or something. I'd pay a little more for one that didn't mar up the driveway without necessitating a wood board placed under them, though I'm not sure if such a jackstand design exists.

It wasn't the jackstands it was the floorjack. The cheap jackstands actually seem to work just fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jared592 posted:

There is an older style made out of thin stamped steel - I've seen more than a few pictures of them bent like pretzels after a failure. They typically have a hollow center tube for the adjustable portion, along with a pin to push through to hold the set height, as opposed to the lever style with a cast center portion. I don't think anyone sells them new anymore, but if you (or anyone reading this thread) has the old stamped ones, throw them out, they're not worth it.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Jared592 posted:

Jackstands do fail, and there are plenty of reasons why.

Places that cast metal and dont always clear the slag can get slag inside the cast part, weakening it. You can have a part with no visible signs of damage, and it may fail only under heavy load.

also, this is probably going to cause an flurry of busted jack pictures...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Paging the Hummer H1 guy to this thread...
I've seen enough failed jackstands to make me wary.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/172983.htm

Does anyone have any experience with this brand of air compressors? Eaton?

I want to spray some paint and these look pretty sweet, low rpm and noise. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I need a heat gun. Is the HF good enough for peeling off vinyl stripes?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

I used one that cost £5 to do some, so I'd guess so, but it fell apart shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Phone posted:

I have one that gets occasional duty as a spray paint dryer, heat shrink.... shrinker, etc. Never had any trouble with it. They tend to smoke a little the first couple of times you use them so don't be alarmed.