Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
So how long are these drivetrains really good for?

I found locally a beautiful example of a '99 10AE Miata, but I'm a little spooked at the mileage (144k+).

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1062966587.html

My gut feeling and experience with other cars tells me that this is a little high, and that I should expect some oil consumption and possible transmission issues just from the mileage. However, this one appears to have great maintenance history and the timing belt has been done twice, so I would only have to do it again at 180k.

If the motor will last past 200k, this price seems fair to me based on the obvious care that this car has had over the years. In general, will Miatas do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If it's been well maintained, it will most likely last WELL past 200k miles. Making only stock power, the motors, 5spd trans, and rear end are all extremely stout.

There's really not a whole lot to go wrong on these cars, which is all part of the charm. Even the top trim models (like that 10AE) are rather spartan compared to most cars.

Most not-lovely cars will last well past 200k miles these days, assuming they were even somewhat reasonably maintained.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 6, 2009

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Well I guess I can't ever buy a Miata.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

Skyssx posted:

Well I guess I can't ever buy a Miata.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Yeah, with hair like that you'd have it in your face all the time

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
My eyes are even with the top of the wind screen frame. The eyebrows and up are all in the roof area. Same story on the S2000, Solstice, 350Z and even the Corvette. I can fit in the CTS, the M3 or a Camaro (maybe). The RX-8 is doable but the back seat would be utterly worthless.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Skyssx posted:

My eyes are even with the top of the wind screen frame. The eyebrows and up are all in the roof area. Same story on the S2000, Solstice, 350Z and even the Corvette. I can fit in the CTS, the M3 or a Camaro (maybe). The RX-8 is doable but the back seat would be utterly worthless.

Considering half the cars you looked at don't have back seats, I'm not sure why a usable one is high on your list.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
It's not, i'd rather not have one. It's just dead weight.

mars
Apr 5, 2005

mars posted:

I'm taking inventory of all the little things I want to replace on the car, and I have some questions.

Are the door locks supposed to swing back freely when you lock/unlock the doors?
How about the trunk lock?
How about the glove box lock and the center armrest lock?

Can anyone confirm for me how the door locks are supposed to work on an NA? I'm at the point of taking the door apart, and I'd like to have as much information as possible.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Has anyone experience with this: http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=74741

Seems like a fairly good idea, but 300 dollars is of course a pretty substantial investment for an experiment.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nope, all NAs had plastic windows from the factory. The glass window didn't show up until '99, but most aftermarket tops are available with glass windows. Whenever you replace the top, you can (and absolutely should) upgrade then.

Are you sure? I got a top off a 94 that had a glass window that was supposedly OE

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

ChiliMac posted:

Has anyone experience with this: http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=74741

Seems like a fairly good idea, but 300 dollars is of course a pretty substantial investment for an experiment.

I saw that, and I'll probably get one if I can't find a junkyard console in good shape. $300 is kind of a lot for a piece of plastic, but it looks pretty good.

Is the glove box latch/handle different between 90-93 and 94-97? Will this work for a 90?

Also, I doubt it, but are there any other cars that share interior bits (I need an eyeball vent, meter hood, radio surround, and center console) with the Miata? I went to one of the local self-serve junkyards and they don't have any Miatas.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Yeah, honestly for the price it looks like a pile of poo poo. I wish we could get a group buy on these..

http://rev9autosport.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_37&products_id=39

mars posted:

Can anyone confirm for me how the door locks are supposed to work on an NA? I'm at the point of taking the door apart, and I'd like to have as much information as possible.
You'll have to elaborate more. The locks function just like any other one, save that unless you hold the handle open when you close it they unlock automatically.

destructo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 7, 2009

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

destructo posted:

Yeah, honestly for the price it looks like a pile of poo poo. I wish we could get a group buy on these..

http://rev9autosport.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_37&products_id=39

Wow, that does look so much better than that other one. I would definitely get in on a group buy on that.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

destructo posted:

You'll have to elaborate more. The locks function just like any other one, save that unless you hold the door open when you close it they unlock automatically.

Oh god I embarrassed myself so bad when I first brought my car home.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ChiliMac posted:

Are you sure? I got a top off a 94 that had a glass window that was supposedly OE

Dead certain. It's very easy to set up a NA with a glass window that might as well be factory, and you can even full-on swap to a NB top and frame.

Halfway through a timing belt change and other 100k maintenance on my '99:

It's been dragging on, mostly due to me trying to cheap out. The only other timing belt I've done on a car was my Volvo, and on that I managed to get by with the bare minimum belt swap. This one is not letting me get away that easily. To get everything disassembled, I had to go buy another set of 3/8" sockets just to get the 21mm socket - Sears doesn't sell it individually. I have a 1/2" drive 21mm and a breaker bar for it, but that combo won't clear the front swaybar. The 3/8" drive 21mm and a 3/8" breaker bar worked great, along with a jackhandle for extra leverage.

I also discovered that the water pump has been weeping for quite some time, as I had a ton of buildup of dried coolant. The water pump instructions on Miata.net need some updating for the NB, too - they claim you need to remove the power steering pump from its bracket, and that removing the back timing cover is helpful but not required. Works out the opposite way on the NB. You actually can't remove the power steering pump from its bracket without pulling the fans at the least, because you can't pull the bolt all the way out without it hitting the back of the fan motor. But, a box end wrench makes the water inlet pretty easy. The cam gears and the back cover do need to come off, though, because the thermostat housing blocks part of the waterpump.

The cam and crank seals look good, so I'm going to leave them in. The car was definitely overdue for spark plugs, and in the last ~4000 miles the valvecover gasket went to poo poo so all in all this will fix a lot of problems at once.

Now, to try and find the idler and tensioner pulleys in stock on a Sunday.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I had forgotten that I'd taken this a while back (Thanksgiving break, the night before I removed my RS2's at about 4:30AM). I like it a good bit so you all have to see it too :buddy:

mars
Apr 5, 2005

destructo posted:

You'll have to elaborate more. The locks function just like any other one, save that unless you hold the handle open when you close it they unlock automatically.

I mean when locking/unlocking with the key.
This is how's it's been on every other car I've owned:
Turn key half a turn to lock/unlock, that makes the key slot horizontal. At this point if I take my hand off the key, the key will rotate back to where the slot is vertical and the key can come out.
This is how it works on my miata:
Turn key half a turn to lock/unlock. If I take my had off the key the key stays there (slot horizontal). Key can't be removed unless I turn it back the half turn (slot vertical). It doesn't rotate back by itself like on my other cars.

This makes sense for the glove box and center console, because the key comes out when the slot is rotated. I'm just wondering if this that's how the door/trunk ones are supposed to be too, or if I can fix something.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

mars posted:

I mean when locking/unlocking with the key.
This is how's it's been on every other car I've owned:
Turn key half a turn to lock/unlock, that makes the key slot horizontal. At this point if I take my hand off the key, the key will rotate back to where the slot is vertical and the key can come out.
This is how it works on my miata:
Turn key half a turn to lock/unlock. If I take my had off the key the key stays there (slot horizontal). Key can't be removed unless I turn it back the half turn (slot vertical). It doesn't rotate back by itself like on my other cars.

This makes sense for the glove box and center console, because the key comes out when the slot is rotated. I'm just wondering if this that's how the door/trunk ones are supposed to be too, or if I can fix something.

The trunk one should spring back, the doors don't.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
No destruction pictures Savington?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Ziploc posted:

No destruction pictures Savington?
http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t32197-2/#post376458
He loves miataturbo.net more than he loves us.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm just drat glad this means I won't have to do it again until the car hits 200k. Got it all together today, though it took two tries because the crank trigger disc on the NB is dished very slightly (which I didn't notice at first) and flipping it will get you no spark. At least that's an easy problem to fix.

On the downside, the radiator hose that I suspected wouldn't last, didn't...as soon as it got hot enough to generate pressure, it started leaking. I get to order one too, because literally nobody within reach of my place has it in stock - Autozone doesn't carry it, it's special order at Checker's, Napa, and BAP Import Parts, and even the dealer on this side of town was out of stock.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm just drat glad this means I won't have to do it again until the car hits 200k. Got it all together today, though it took two tries because the crank trigger disc on the NB is dished very slightly (which I didn't notice at first) and flipping it will get you no spark. At least that's an easy problem to fix.

On the downside, the radiator hose that I suspected wouldn't last, didn't...as soon as it got hot enough to generate pressure, it started leaking. I get to order one too, because literally nobody within reach of my place has it in stock - Autozone doesn't carry it, it's special order at Checker's, Napa, and BAP Import Parts, and even the dealer on this side of town was out of stock.

That's a simple fix, you're lucky you're not in my shoes. My #3 spark plug blew out when I was on a drive yesterday and stripped the threads in the head. Spent today pulling it off and now my car is gonna be down for at least a week. Thankfully my friend has 2 cars so I'm borrowing one till i get this loving thing fixed.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
In my GTX parts hoarding, I've amassed a collection of NA 1.6L engine parts in which I don't need anymore. I have a coilpack with bracket and connector, ignitor with bracket and connector, purge solenoid with bracket and connector, a throttle body with the idle motor, TPS, coolant lines, and the air bypass hose, and a perfect condition injector/coolant temp sensor harness. All of these are in great shape, being from low miles California cars. All the wiring is supple and still well taped, no rust or corrosion on anything.

I'm probably put5ting it up on Miata Turbo eventually, but I thought I'd let you guys take grab at it first. Name a price!

mars
Apr 5, 2005
Is there anywhere I can get a microfiche for miatas that I can use to order parts off?

mars
Apr 5, 2005
I just ordered a set of RE-01R tires in the stock 195/50/15.
My rear tires are toasted, but my fronts are OK, so I'll rotate and hopefully burn what's left at the next autocross, then I'll have good tires, so it should be fun.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

ChiliMac posted:

My review of one

That's a review I wrote. I bought one on the M.net group buy back before Moss and others started carrying them in stock... it's not just a piece of plastic. It's actually really solid, more solid and a bit heavier than the stock console.

It works really well, keeps things in the drink holder out of the way while shifting, and the console has a lot more storage space than stock which works really well too.

My only complaint is that the drink holders are only big enough for something the diameter of a 12 ounce can. Nothing wider than that... On the one hand, it kinda sucks sometimes, but on the other hand, my bottle of Voss or Smart water fits just right... and I don't chug a lot of soda while driving now...

But IMO, it is a really good addition... I am not unhappy with it at all.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

GoblinBomb posted:

Wow, that does look so much better than that other one. I would definitely get in on a group buy on that.

Same. That looks loving incredible. If there is any serious interest in a group buy we should do it.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

bladernr posted:

My review of one

That's a review I wrote. I bought one on the M.net group buy back before Moss and others started carrying them in stock... it's not just a piece of plastic. It's actually really solid, more solid and a bit heavier than the stock console.

It works really well, keeps things in the drink holder out of the way while shifting, and the console has a lot more storage space than stock which works really well too.

My only complaint is that the drink holders are only big enough for something the diameter of a 12 ounce can. Nothing wider than that... On the one hand, it kinda sucks sometimes, but on the other hand, my bottle of Voss or Smart water fits just right... and I don't chug a lot of soda while driving now...

But IMO, it is a really good addition... I am not unhappy with it at all.

No offense but what the gently caress is up with you guys and cupholders, can you not stand to be without liquid while you drive to work? I think the only time i've needed to drink in my car was when I drove for about 8 hours straight through France, and even then you can just jam a water bottle between the seat and center console.

Every thread which mentions the interior of a car has something about cupholders, it's ridiculous.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Slothophile posted:

No offense but what the gently caress is up with you guys and cupholders, can you not stand to be without liquid while you drive to work? I think the only time i've needed to drink in my car was when I drove for about 8 hours straight through France, and even then you can just jam a water bottle between the seat and center console.

Every thread which mentions the interior of a car has something about cupholders, it's ridiculous.

well if i spill beer in the car then it'll smell bad won't it?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Slothophile posted:

You try picking up lunch with a soda in a miata. Its a hell of a lot easier if you have a cup holder it stuff the drink in.

edit: but I would not pay 300 bucks for that armrest :colbert: I don't carry drinks that often.

FireTora fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 9, 2009

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

FireTora posted:

You try picking up lunch with a soda in a miata. Its a hell of a lot easier if you have a cup holder it stuff the drink in.

edit: but I would not pay 300 bucks for that armrest :colbert: I don't carry drinks that often.

But why do you eat lunch in your car? Can you not stop for five minutes rather than endangering everyone on the road as you shovel fast food and high fructose corn syrup into your face?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Slothophile posted:

But why do you eat lunch in your car? Can you not stop for five minutes rather than endangering everyone on the road as you shovel fast food and high fructose corn syrup into your face?

I said pick up lunch. I pick up my lunch and bring it back to work, I don't eat at the food place.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's kind of trolly, people get carryout all the time. And 240sx drivers (at least in my experience) learn to not order combo meals with a drink. I imagine it's the same with Miata drivers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

That's kind of trolly, people get carryout all the time. And 240sx drivers (at least in my experience) learn to not order combo meals with a drink. I imagine it's the same with Miata drivers.

It's called "ask them for a cup holder". Those cardboard trays don't do much, but they do help.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slothophile posted:

I guess this is a dig at America, but lots of people work in places where you have to drive somewhere to pick up a meal if you don't pack your own. Urban planning is often just that bad.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Slothophile posted:

Dunno about you, but I spend about 2.5 hours a day in the car going to and from work. Having a cold drink is nice... especially in a ragtop on a 90+ degree day in North Carolina, where the humidity normally sits around 90%.

Cup holders are a bit of a requirement there...

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Honestly I'd much prefer to have a bottle rolling around on the seat adjacent than an open can/cup with top in a cupholder. Less chance of spillage.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

FireTora posted:

I said pick up lunch. I pick up my lunch and bring it back to work, I don't eat at the food place.

OK, but do you eat exclusively fast food? The only places where you get the lovely bendy cups that will spill everywhere are fast food restaurants. I'm sure everywhere else you can get a sealable container and just wedge that in the seat or let it roll around. Or you could even buy a crate of soda and keep that in your trunk if you're desperate for it!

bladrnr posted:

Dunno about you, but I spend about 2.5 hours a day in the car going to and from work. Having a cold drink is nice... especially in a ragtop on a 90+ degree day in North Carolina, where the humidity normally sits around 90%.

Cup holders are a bit of a requirement there...

This is a more legitimate use, but again if this is your regular commute can you not just have one of those big sealable drinks containers filled with the beverage of your choice?

kimbo305 posted:

I guess this is a dig at America, but lots of people work in places where you have to drive somewhere to pick up a meal if you don't pack your own. Urban planning is often just that bad.

There are plenty of fat people that eat fast food all the time in the UK, I'm just curious as to why there seems to be a huge deal about having cupholders at all times in the US whereas here people tend to not eat / drink in a car, or somehow manage to transport drinks from A to B without them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

What if I'm picking up a coffee on my way to work and don't want it to spill everywhere?

There's always a solution to a problem, and personally I don't find cup holders to be the be all and end all of an interior, but they're handy to have. I like the idea toyota and holden have and thats to almost always have fold away cup holders, so when they're not in use they're unobtrusive.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

The corner of the seat above the console works perfectly fine for a cupholder. Just use that spot and stop complaining. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

The corner of the seat above the console works perfectly fine for a cupholder. Just use that spot and stop complaining. :colbert:

I recommend what he said. I do this all the time with a bottle of water and it works great.