Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

le capitan posted:

Looking better; this is starting to feel a lot more like metal. Iron has a slight blue specular tint to it, so look into coloring your spec a little bit. I'd also suggest adding in some brighter spot coloring on the rust diffuse to increase its variation. Keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Sigma-X posted:

What would he do it in that handles that amount of detail better?

Max with 4 gigs of ram and a 2 year old processor and 2 year old video card handles 8 million tris in the viewport just fine, and it'll render more than that.

Oh I disagree, when you get over 300k it starts to lag whenever you want to even select vertices. They need to rewrite the viewport engine IMO.

Pretty much any other package will handle it better than max, even sketchup probably. Rendering is not too bad but the godawful lag is just not worth it with general tasks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sigma-X posted:

What would he do it in that handles that amount of detail better?

Max with 4 gigs of ram and a 2 year old processor and 2 year old video card handles 8 million tris in the viewport just fine, and it'll render more than that.

I have 4 gigs and fairly new processors and video cards and I was having memory issues with that model at around 1 million tri.

I tried to import a 2 million tri model once and it simply crashed.

spottedfeces posted:

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Okay here's another render, so you guys can tell me my scale is off again.

You can avoid all these issues by measuring things and using real scales. It's a pain, yes, but hey at least you get better results!

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 5, 2009

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

Heintje posted:

Oh I disagree, when you get over 300k it starts to lag whenever you want to even select vertices. They need to rewrite the viewport engine IMO.

Pretty much any other package will handle it better than max, even sketchup probably. Rendering is not too bad but the godawful lag is just not worth it with general tasks.

I've gotta agree on the performance in Max. I've got a Quadro 4600, 4 gigs of ram and dual Xeons in my workstation and I get objects disappearing and adaptive degradation kicking in all the time and I don't even go above 1 million polys very often. You're right about selection, too. If you have performance problems, having anything selected makes it even worse.

Sketchup, however, does not handle large, or even moderate, polycounts well at all. It's significantly worse than Max. On the biggest SU file I've created, I could make an adjustment (drawing a line, extruding, etc) then have to wait almost 5 minutes to regain control again. Then once autosave kicks in, go make a sandwich. It's probably Sketchup's biggest shortcoming.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
Jaguar McGuire blog updated. This post is more about how the story concept was developed, but it's got another part of our workreel including some shots of the 2D roughs placed over the untextured 3D models to demonstrate move-matching. We played the full workreel for the department head in class today and he seemed very impressed.

The next blog posts will probably focus more on the 3D assets, so I'll get my time to shine soon enough. :gbsmith:

Next week is finals at SCAD so we're scrambling to get as much done as we can. The 3D-side of things will be finished by the end of the quarter (barring some revisiting of the shaders [I swear I'm the only one who's even touched the attribute editor for those :gonk: ]), but 2D production will likely continue into the next few months.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I get great performance using turbosmooth. If I was working on models that were raw 1 million tri objects it might be different?

I got a massive performance boost going to Max 2k9 and a bigger boost going to vista, upping me to 4 gigs of ram.

Any you really shouldn't have millions of polies visible in the viewport while building a mesh like that spaceship anyways, since you're building it in parts and you're using subds for it.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

If you guys can rate or comment I'll appreciate, thanks!

Gave you 4 stars since it still needs materials. :colbert:

Eep
Jan 24, 2007
Title text: Optional

Elentor posted:

Thanks for the comments :)

Hey there. Took a 10 days. I made my own sketches - a page for the entire ship and about 6 pages detailing the engine and the different parts. It's mostly a fanart. Mostly.

This was my first sketch and most important one, albeit the ugliest:

Besides the hull and the plates everything is separated, sorry. I had to work this way because since the poly-count was too high, the only way I could finish it was to model each part in a different file then merge it all together.

I did it in 3D Studio Max.

It's posted here in CGSociety: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=737406 it comes with the working link for super high-resolution version (2096*3072)

If you guys can rate or comment I'll appreciate, thanks!

abit late, but this is really cool. I'm starting another project that involes complex engine/ship modeling like this. Also an Evegoon :D

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Here's a still from an animation i'm coming close to finishing. Quite pleased with how this turned out :) Saved the frame straight from combustion, so this is it aside from another layer to go on (moving people/clutter on tables - being rendered in a seperate scene as this is already 8mil polys).

Although to weigh in on the polycount issue, I really dont have a problem with it. This scene has 8million polys in and I can breeze around my viewports at a suprisingly rapid 3/4fps on a 758mb geforce 8800... It's not great, but it's conserably better than my experience with sketchup.
Use display as box on finished objects and only display maps in the viewport when you're lining them up so you never have more than 2/3 on the go at once, helps quite a bit. I'd never have everything on display in shaded at the same time, the ability to switch these around and control it is one of max's better features. adaptive degradation is balls though.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 5, 2009

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

cubicle gangster posted:

Here's a still from an animation i'm coming close to finishing. Quite pleased with how this turned out :) Saved the frame straight from combustion, so this is it aside from another layer to go on (moving people/clutter on tables - being rendered in a seperate scene as this is already 8mil polys).

Although to weigh in on the polycount issue, I really dont have a problem with it. This scene has 8million polys in and I can breeze around my viewports at a suprisingly rapid 3/4fps on a 758mb geforce 8800... It's not great, but it's conserably better than my experience with sketchup.
Use display as box on finished objects and only display maps in the viewport when you're lining them up so you never have more than 2/3 on the go at once, helps quite a bit. I'd never have everything on display in shaded at the same time, the ability to switch these around and control it is one of max's better features. adaptive degradation is balls though.

What are the big red pills on the right? It's looking mighty fine.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Supposed to be bean bags/soft seating... They are a bit weak though.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Yeah when I do anything in max with some amount of detail I seperate things out into layers. Makes it easy to hide stuff that you don't need. I still hate it though :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Heintje posted:

Yeah when I do anything in max with some amount of detail I seperate things out into layers. Makes it easy to hide stuff that you don't need. I still hate it though :)

QFT. Max does not handle high polycounts well. Sorry, but there is no excuse for this in 2009. Granted the later iterations of Max (08 and 09) are FAR better at handling high density scenes but really, there just isn't an excuse when you think about easily other packages push polys. Specifically I am thinking about the ungodly amounts of polys both Zbrush and Mudbox now handle with ease. Since Max was always meant more for low poly applications (games), this only makes sense.

EDIT: Oh and my rig is a dual 2.8 gig Xeon with 2 gigs of ram running XP pro. Throw a few hundred thousand polys in a Max scene and watch it choke. Adaptive degradation, layers, and bounding box mode all help, but really Max fails when it comes to high poly scenes.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 6, 2009

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
All of max just needs to be re-written, I could bitch for hours about how the software hasn't really gotten any better over the last 10 years in so so many ways, but I'll save that for when I'm next drunk with cg people.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Supposed to be bean bags/soft seating... They are a bit weak though.

They're too stiff. They look more like inflatable furniture than bean bags. They should be sagging under their own weight.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Heintje posted:

All of max just needs to be re-written, I could bitch for hours about how the software hasn't really gotten any better over the last 10 years in so so many ways, but I'll save that for when I'm next drunk with cg people.

Yeah - this is so true it hurts.

Worldbuilder.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

Thats a really nice image. Any chance you could post the raw render out of max? I would love to see what you did to it in post.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

:eng101: They fixed the "select every other object behind the one you want" bug!

International Log fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2009

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That's pretty cool elentor.

I'm helping some programmers with their game by making assets. This is the main guy. The white bulbs are supposed to glow, but I haven't checked if their graphics engine can do that.
It has around 950 quads, can't remember the exact number.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Hackuma posted:

That's pretty cool elentor.

I'm helping some programmers with their game by making assets. This is the main guy. The white bulbs are supposed to glow, but I haven't checked if their graphics engine can do that.
It has around 950 quads, can't remember the exact number.

Make the background white. The shape is kinda vague when everything is so dark.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

TikTok is rigged! He took me a lot less time to do. Scarecrow took me foooorever. This makes me happy to know I can whip out a rig this fast. (Again he's not textured yet. Just a quick procedural.)

For those of you asking about my Trio of Oz project here is some more information. This is a sequel animation of sorts to my Tin Woodsman project. It's going to be really quite different. It's more of an adventure story, with action, humor, and hopefully really fun environments. I also put together a blog to track my progress http://hinchu.blogspot.com/ I stopped blogging for awhile and I figure this would be a good way to keep my motivated now.

There are three main characters, Tinman, Scarecrow, and TikTok. I'm also going to do three different scenes. Each of these scenes will be done on hand built miniature sets. I found working on the Tin Woodsman that I could whip out the scenes really quick that were done with real miniatures. Here are the three sets in their current forms (mostly sketches).

A wind-up wasteland. I've shown this one off here before... I'm still going to work on the miniature more, adding trees and more details for close-ups.

And then they crash through a well into an underground glass city in the middle of the earth inhabited by vegetable people. This one will be built out of semi-opaque acrylic. I'll probably start building it after I finish animating a lot of the first scene.

Then finally they escape the city into caves inhabited by these little baby dragons. This will be a little musical number (yay!)

Then a short ending scene that will probably just be a digital painting with a few closeups.

I haven't decided on how I'm going to release everything. I'll either do episodes for each scene, or trailers, and then one big final production.

I have lots of sketches, not all of them scanned. I've also completely storyboarded out the first scene, and will do so for the other ones. I'll probably be going back to my storyboards here pretty soon to rework them and get more detail. I'm also planning on editing together some roughs for timing once I get the sets all built. I'll probably just take digital shots of the miniatures then throw quick poses of the characters in to get a sense of the timing for everything.

I'm hoping to finish most everything for the animation in about 2 years. I'm not sure if I'll be able to because I'm just doing it on my free time after work and on weekends. I'm hoping that once I get my basic assets done things will move along much faster. I'm getting close to having the actual Trio done. And if you are wondering about the title I'm taking it from the original books. Each book had a title following the formula X of Oz. Since my animation is an amalgamation of characters and stories from the various books I decided to come up with my own title as if it were just another book.

As far as other minor characters go... here's the breakdown per scene.
Clockworld: Wind-up bird, wind-up smasher
Glass City: Vegetable Priest and then variations on a smaller vegetable person "grunts.
Cave: The baby dragons. Probably the tail of the mother dragon as well.

As far as design and style I'm referencing a lot of the original illustrations but I'm trying to create my own unique take on everything. I don't want to copy the original illustrations, I want each of my characters to be uniquely my own, but still recognizable.

That's about it I think. Oh, and I'm planning on doing it all in HD, we'll see how that goes.

Edit: And the official project page is: http://gregtatum.com/site/trioofoz.html It will be updated later on with a more inclusive design once I get the Trio characters done.

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 8, 2009

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Also wtf's up with this line in the OP?

quote:

Along with the artistic component of 3DCG, are the technical aspects. So really, 3DCG is just for people who aren’t artistic or technical enough to be a traditional artist or computer programmer.

(I do both traditional art and computer programming.)

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 8, 2009

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The Monarch posted:

Make the background white. The shape is kinda vague when everything is so dark.

Ok, I will. Those are just some quick screenshots I took with the default settings.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Hinchu, that looks great, I would really love to see the end result. I'm a beginner in 3d, and the work shown in this thread is really inspiring.

Does anyone have experience with exporting from Sketchup into Max? I'm working with architecture and the result of importing a model as .3ds looks really strange in Max. If you have any tips, I'd be eternally grateful.

Just so I don't come empty-handed, here's some piggies that I made:

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

Hinchu posted:

Also wtf's up with this line in the OP?

(I do both traditional art and computer programming.)

eh its just tongue in cheek. relax.

your trio of oz stuff looks amazing by the way.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That Oz stuff is great.

Played around with hypershot today. Seems absolutely phenomenal with cars and similar sized vehicles. Not so great with bigger stuff and people etc. But as a tool for automotive use I'd say it even beats out maxwell for the finished result. Very impressed.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Kirby posted:

eh its just tongue in cheek. relax.

your trio of oz stuff looks amazing by the way.

That's what I get for posting at 3 in the morning. Tone is hard to interpret online. Although I feel pretty strongly that a lot of people's 3d work could really be helped with a little ol' pencil and paper background work.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the OZ concepts and environments Hinchu.
Also, my inability to draw or paint is my great shame, I need to learn because I think it would help my 3D, not because I really want to be an illustrator or a painter.

Another quickish concept sculpt for a short film I'm helping out on.
This one is for the main character, an old timey baseball player.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ It's amazing to me that you can sculpt that well and yet you claim you can't draw.

I can't believe I have been multiplying my occlusion wrong all these years!!
Zap straightens it all out.

Handy chart here.
Anybody know of a way to get a "ambient color" pass out of max / maya without having to tweak every shader?
I can tweak a ink and paint shader to be solid color and some materials have a diffuse slider but I am not sure how to get an ambient color pass out of every material.

Anybody else been doing this wrong? This means I will need to somehow always create ambient color passes to multiply the AO over and incorporate this into my workflow. The plus side is that the diffuse color passes serve as lighting passes I can turn on and off.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 10, 2009

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

EoinCannon posted:

Also, my inability to draw or paint is my great shame, I need to learn because I think it would help my 3D, not because I really want to be an illustrator or a painter.

Good god I love that.

^^^ I find that it's easier to work sculpting in 3D space than trying to represent 3D objects in 2D space as well. I think it just has to do with how you process environments.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

Good quality, but it looks JUST like Mr. Incredible. In fact I thought you did a quick sculpt of him.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

BonoMan posted:

Good quality, but it looks JUST like Mr. Incredible. In fact I thought you did a quick sculpt of him.

Was just about to say the same thing. The upside down triangle shape for muscley men is too overdone.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, it does look like Mr Incredible.
I'm working from someone else's concept art, and the writer/director pretty much wanted me to reference Mr Incredible. The proportions are more exaggerated though. I suppose if it's going to look like someone else's work, may as well be Pixar :)

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Finally had some time to get back into learning this stuff, and started pretty much doodling in Max yesterday. Combined with some work today, this is what I've come up with so far:

I realize it's dark as hell - still working on decent lighting.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Useless posted:

Finally had some time to get back into learning this stuff, and started pretty much doodling in Max yesterday. Combined with some work today, this is what I've come up with so far:

I think the [lack of] lighting fits the mood of the scene pretty well, actually. Don't know if that's what you're going for in the end, but with the right textures and props, it could do well dark. Consider how well-lighted, yet dark, ElecHeadMatt's alley scene was.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Useless posted:

It feels oddly reminiscent of Tim Burton's first Batman movie, honestly.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Useless posted:

If it were my scene I'd add a very blue light coming in from the right hitting the rim of the objects, popping out some dimension in them as if the light was coming from the moon. It wouldn't be as bright as the yellow light coming out of the windows. I'd also add some yellow outdoor lights on the structure illuminating some key areas.

I'd also blow out the light coming from the windows, making them white, and then having the yellow show through on the light itself, or maybe by glowing on the edges that yellow color. Look at some photos for ref and then try to mimic the effect the camera makes.

I'd also make the yellow light from the windows more intense. Look at your render in the thumbnail previews and see if you can read the shapes. That will show you the overall composition.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Did a quickie Photoshop to kind of show what I'm talking about.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Hinchu posted:

Did a quickie Photoshop to kind of show what I'm talking about.

Jesus. That looks way better.

Still trying some things - I'm a complete newbie at this still, so I'm kinda poking blind, but I absolutely love the lighting suggestions you made - now to try and emulate. Will post progress.... eventually.

I was planning on having a human figure done up like a researcher or engineer having a smoke break leaning on the railing in the window light - kind of a contrast with a ton of FIRE HAZARD and NO SMOKING signs I'll have plastered on all the tanks and lines (a continuation of the single "MAIN FUEL LINE" texture I have now). I just need to model a person for the first time....

Thanks to all that commented, this forum is great for feedback.

Hinchu - Could you give me a quick-and-dirty rundown of just how to DO that? I'm so hopeless at lighting. :(

Useless fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 13, 2009