Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
So I was at the bar the other night, and my buddy Miras gave me a flash stick with about 8 gigs of music on it. Here is a complete list of everything:

1349 – Discography
Autopsy – Severed Survival, Torn From the Grave
Bathory – Discography
Blackened, Vols 1 – 5
Blackmetallilitto – Various
Breath of Sorrows – Through Darkness to Battle I Ride
Children of Bodom – Bodom Covers
Dark Funeral – Discography
Darkmoon Warrior - In Fundis Inferiorum
Darkthrone – Discography
Enslaved – Vertebrae
Gospel of the Horns – Realm of the Damned
Immortal – Pure Holocaust
Khors – The Flame of Eternity’s Decline
Marduk – Dark Endless, Those of the Unlight, Opus Nocturne
Samael – Blood Ritual, Cermony of Opposites and Rebellion
Satyricon – Now, Diabolical
Tartaros – The Grand Psychotic Castle, The Red Jewel

Most of the stuff I’ve listened to and enjoyed, the exception being Samael.

I threw the 1349, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Darkmoon Warrior, Darkthrone, Marduk, and Satyricon on my iPod. What’s the consensus on Autopsy, the Blackened and Blackmetallilitto comps, Gospel of the Horns, Khors, and Tartaros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Ceremony of Opposites and Rebellion are loving awesome :colbert:

You weren't given Panzer Division Marduk? That's a serious omission.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Not Very Metal posted:

What’s the consensus on Autopsy, the Blackened and Blackmetallilitto comps, Gospel of the Horns, Khors, and Tartaros?

Autopsy is loving amazing, but has little to do with BM (get mental funeral too), I generally dislike comps so I'm not going to comment on those, GotH is awesome, Khors is basically a shittier version of all the bands its members are otherwise involved in, and Tartaros is plain out weird, from what I remember the red jewel is very good at giving people headaches.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Tartaros is pretty cool. And yeah, even though it has nothing to do with BM make sure you hear Autopsy's Mental Funeral. Find the non-remastered version if you can.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Cool, thanks for the feedback! I'm really digging the Marduk and Darkmoon Warrior stuff. Samael I found to be kind of boring, I don't know.

This biggest problem I'm having is that these were apparently mostly acquired via :filez:. A few of the albums are only partials, with the missing tracks labeled as "BC!." I'm not one to torrent, so I'm stuck with some incomplete albums. I'm not too worried, I'm treating the missing albums as warm-ups to see what I'll purchase.

I think I'm going to pull the Samael from my iPod and replace it with GotH, as that is the one band I'm not really familiar with and have a full album.

Good looking out guys!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

Blackmetallilitto – Various

Most of the stuff I’ve listened to and enjoyed, the exception being Samael.

You had the best Samael albums on there. Baphomet's Throne is sick.

I can't remember exactly what's on blackmetalliliitto but iirc it's basically a Spinefarm release of their bands or licenses. I'm thinking it must be round about 1998 so it'd have stuff like Dimmu Borgir, Nemesis Divina-era Satyricon etc. on it. The Finnish bands on there are probably good. It probably has Beherit or Thy Serpent on there, and they're good raw black metal.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Kaiho posted:

It probably has Beherit or Thy Serpent on there, and they're good raw black metal.

Thy serpent were never really raw, though. Their first couple of albums were kinda girly keyboard-laden black metal and they weren't particularly good. The last EP was a good deal darker and heavier and they broke up after that one, which is a shame.

funeral fag fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 11, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

m-o-o-n posted:

Thy serpent were never really raw, though. Their first couple of albums were kinda girly keyboard-laden black metal and they weren't particularly good. The last EP was a good deal darker and heavier and they broke up after that one, which is a shame.

ok fair enough. I haven't listened to any Thy Serpent in yeeeeears and may be confusing them with some other finnish band (Enochian Crescent? Is that possible?) active around that time. 1998 happens to be the year I was exposed to the whole Finnish scene so... you know.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
1349 - Hellfire is one of the better modern Black Metal releases if you ask me.

Brutal Black Metal, if you will. I Am Abomination and Sculptor of Flesh make me rage uncontrollably!

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

deltawing posted:

Brutal Black Metal, if you will. I Am Abomination and Sculptor of Flesh make me rage uncontrollably!

I don't mean to be rude but do you really listen to a lot of bm? because there has been a lot of modern releases that are much more interesting than general blast beat norsecore..

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Cold Day posted:

I don't mean to be rude but do you really listen to a lot of bm? because there has been a lot of modern releases that are much more interesting than general blast beat norsecore..

Sometimes all you really want is blast beat norsecore, and 1349 delivers like few others in that regard.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Tervagant posted:

Sometimes all you really want is blast beat norsecore, and 1349 delivers like few others in that regard.

Marduk > 1349

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
bleeehh norsecore other than Funeral Mist

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Tervagant posted:

Exactly!

I listen to other Black Metal, but Death Metal is my main genre I focus on.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

deltawing posted:

Morbid Florist posted:

Marduk > 1349

These are both true statements. 1349 didn’t get a lot of love ITT for some reason.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Truthfully I only really can get into the first three songs on Hellfire, but those three alone are really I all I need to hear to love 1349.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Openknees posted:

Truthfully I only really can get into the first three songs on Hellfire, but those three alone are really I all I need to hear to love 1349.

I keep one and just one 1349 song - Hellfire, as it happens - on my mp3 player for those moments on my daily Tube commute when my absolute loathing for the scrabbling, shoving masses around me threatens to boil over. It's very effective for that.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Openknees posted:

I was like this for a while, honestly.

I dunno, just keep giving the full album spins and it will work for you.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Openknees posted:

To Rottendom and From the Deeps ( :cthulhu: ) are awesome songs. I think Beyond the Apocalypse is a better album, it's more raw.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
1349 are pretty goddamn mediocre guys, and thinking they're good or even great is more of a testimony that you need to listen to more black metal than anything else.
Early material is derivative of darkthrone, later work is marduk cloning.

The reason for the progression in sound? They correctly identified the only reason the majority of people listen to them is to hear frost's drumming.

Do yourself a favour and listen to Nox Intempesta, Enthroned, Antaeus, early Impaled Nazarene or even (yuck) Dark Funeral, or, shock horror, the bands they're apeing.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Gr31lly posted:

or even (yuck) Dark Funeral

From what I remember the guys are douchebags and whatever else but holy poo poo I listened to "In the Sign of the Horn" after not hearing it for years and it rocked my socks.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
There is no reason not to have Antaeus' "De Pricipii Evangellikum," "Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan," and "Blood Libels" in your collection at any given time.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Good news Beherit fans, the new album "Engram" is set to be released in april. Looking forward to it :)

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Not Very Metal posted:

What’s the consensus on Autopsy, the Blackened and Blackmetallilitto comps, Gospel of the Horns, Khors, and Tartaros?

Blackened 1 was the cd hat got me into real BM. There's a lot of snacks on the disc like Sigh, Tenebrarium Oratorium from the first Moonspell EP and of course Pagan Fears!

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

catbread.jpg posted:

Come now, it's very simple music (for simple people hurr), but I think they showed a strong sense of melody on Two Hunters, which is quite appealing to me.

It really is simple though, I can't think of another BM band that I can pick up a guitar and learn the guitar lines by ear seemingly instantly...

I think it's pretty refreshing to not hear a triggered drumset in metal as well.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I think it's pretty refreshing to not hear a triggered drumset in metal as well.
how does this set wittr apart from anyone? There's lots of drummers who don't use triggers

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

het posted:

how does this set wittr apart from anyone? There's lots of drummers who don't use triggers

It doesn't set them apart from anyone at all, I just haven't listened to many other new bands lately that don't use triggers.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I just wanna state that Naglfar - Vittra is one of the best Melodic Black Metal albums I've ever heard.

Highly recommended!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The Amesoeurs full lenght is out and it's brilliant. I can hear a lot of The Cure in the guitar sound. I'm sure most of you will hate it though :)

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 14, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

The Amesoeurs full lenght is out and it's brilliant. I can hear a lot of The Cure in the guitar sound. I'm sure most of you will hate it though :)

I'm going to check it out. The same way I plan to check out the new WITTR. Because I don't care if it's black metal or what it is, if it sounds nice it's nice.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kaiho posted:

I'm going to check it out. The same way I plan to check out the new WITTR. Because I don't care if it's black metal or what it is, if it sounds nice it's nice.

Well unlike WITTR they're not just a kind of a crappier version of other bands, they're pretty drat unique and pull off the post punk/dream pop meets black metal thing.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

not just a kind of a crappier version of other bands

I know this has been "discussed" to death here but really I'm more inclined to like a band that does something I can dig musically if I can also get behind it ideologically. So that rules out Burzum, though I like the Burzum-worship on Diadem of 12 Stars. Same way, I like an actual band that plays actual instruments, rather than some one-man bedroom project with a bunch of VSTs and fuzz.

Also, I thought Nathan was a nice guy.

I guess it really is about taste and opinion and we've all got one blah blah.

edit: Oh yeah and WITTR actually, you know, tour, so I get to hear atmospheric BM live and it's good every time.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kaiho posted:

I know this has been "discussed" to death here but really I'm more inclined to like a band that does something I can dig musically if I can also get behind it ideologically. So that rules out Burzum, though I like the Burzum-worship on Diadem of 12 Stars. Same way, I like an actual band that plays actual instruments, rather than some one-man bedroom project with a bunch of VSTs and fuzz.

Also, I thought Nathan was a nice guy.

I guess it really is about taste and opinion and we've all got one blah blah.

Well, that was not really my opinion since I like Diadem and Two Hunters a lot. It's just what some of the more narrow-minded people in this thread seem to think. Besides, you'd think ecofascist black metal would go down pretty well with people who love regular fascist black metal.

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
I like Two Hunters because its kinda doomy and reminds me of HEart of Ages at times.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Quick question for those that have heard it:

Is the new Absu up to Tara's standards, or any good at all?

PS: Any news on a possible Ne Obliviscaris full length yet? Their demo kicks so much rear end it's not even funny.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

deltawing posted:

I just wanna state that Naglfar - Vittra is one of the best Melodic Black Metal albums I've ever heard.

Highly recommended!

Yeah, probably their best.

Dammit, I'm still kicking myself for not discovering Weakling earlier, it's been a couple of months now, and I can still say it's in my top 5 black metal albums ever.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

Besides, you'd think ecofascist black metal would go down pretty well with people who love regular fascist black metal.

While they draw on (non-exclusively) ecofascist tenets of a spiritual connection to nature, I don't think they have any inherent supremacy thinking underlying their philosophy. And that non-exclusivity is fundamental, as that spiritual connection and a conservationist/self-sufficiency ethic underlies pretty much all deep green and Naessian Deep Ecology thinking. And where WITTR emphasizes self-sufficiency, they also advocate withdrawal from overconsumptive society, not forcing a certain lifestyle on others.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'm just going by what I've seen/read.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
The new medley Primitive Graven Image posted on their Myspace is really good! Looking forward to the new album, and maybe even getting to see them in London sometime.

Sir Xiphos posted:

I haven't heard it myself, but it's been raved about at length in the other metal thread so I'm guessing the consensus is yeah.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Sir Xiphos posted:

PS: Any news on a possible Ne Obliviscaris full length yet? Their demo kicks so much rear end it's not even funny.

Absu is just as good as Tara, but it's a little different. It has a few more 70s psychedelic elements and better production. Can't recommend it enough!

New Ne Obliviscaris should be coming this year, hopefully. They're working on it as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

Kaiho posted:

While they draw on (non-exclusively) ecofascist tenets of a spiritual connection to nature, I don't think they have any inherent supremacy thinking underlying their philosophy. And that non-exclusivity is fundamental, as that spiritual connection and a conservationist/self-sufficiency ethic underlies pretty much all deep green and Naessian Deep Ecology thinking. And where WITTR emphasizes self-sufficiency, they also advocate withdrawal from overconsumptive society, not forcing a certain lifestyle on others.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'm just going by what I've seen/read.

They explain some of their thinking in this Invisible Oranges Interview which is a pretty good read. It also has a full song from their new album.

FE: I just linked to the main page (should be the first thing) since each post doesn't have an individual url