Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

proka
Feb 6, 2007

swarthmeister posted:

Ah, OK. I clicked on Bioware under the catalog's dev section and there was nothing listed - figured there was a chance it was a pre-announcement update.

e: clicked again and both MDK2 and Shattered Steel show up. I do remember MDK being listed a good while back, so it's half me forgetting MDK's developer and half weird site issues maybe? Maybe there was a filter applied at the time.

From memory MDK was developed by Shiny, but the sequel was made by Bioware. It's a pretty cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Looks like the first new one is Empire Interactive!

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Meh, chess and pinball games. Was hoping for something a bit more spectacular. :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Me too. Oh well, more to come, and I've bought a ton of stuff from gog this week anyway.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I forgot how funny a game Rise of the Triad was. Shrooms, power-ups that turn you into a dog, all the silly bonuses (Republican Bonus, Democrat Bonus, Bonus Bonus, etc). Even the manual is loaded with gags (especially on the power-ups page). Also, for a fun Easter egg, set your screen size to the smallest possible settings. When playing, you get a message from the Apogee team.

Buy a 486. :]

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My favorite was always the holidays. I liked seeing Taradino Cassatt in a Christmas hat.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Sparta posted:

I've had an idea to make something like this for months now.

You have literally taken almost every idea from my head and made it real.

If you ever need VC funding, please talk to me (manfrin@gmail.com).

Because venture capitalists who think the best way to contact a company is by posting on an unaffiliated message board are surely the ones you want to use.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Charlie Mopps posted:

Meh, chess and pinball games. Was hoping for something a bit more spectacular. :(

At least it's something. They can't work miracles every time!

Updated the OP.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

This was just posted on their twitter:

quote:

Big publ. announce planned during GDC. Counting on journos to give us love! Email to arrange coverage early so you don't miss the news! -Tom

Syncope
May 7, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

I finally caved in and bought Rise of the Triad. I'm happy to see that it's still as good as I remember it. Still, the game seems to be having a control problem that I can't wrap my mind around. Sometimes, while shooting or just moving around, the character will start gradually looking downwards towards the floor and I'll have to tap the "Look Up" key to get them to look straight. I don't know if this is some sort of response issue with the mouse, but it's pissing me off. If I could fix that all my issues with the game would be over.

On another note, I hope they offer Blood sometime in the near future. I loved that game.

You're A key is probably double bound to Strafe Left and Free Look or whatever it's called. Remap the Free Look key, I had to do the same thing.

capitalCORN
Mar 27, 2005
I've just bought Duke3D and I've tried running it with eDuke. Everytime I try, the game crashes at the first splash screen. The only options I've found to manipulate are resolution and full screen, which I have in a myriad of combinations. My OS is Vista 64 with the latest Nvidia Forceware drivers. Please help!

Gravy100
Oct 24, 2005

WIGWAMBAM!

capitalCORN posted:

I've just bought Duke3D and I've tried running it with eDuke. Everytime I try, the game crashes at the first splash screen. The only options I've found to manipulate are resolution and full screen, which I have in a myriad of combinations. My OS is Vista 64 with the latest Nvidia Forceware drivers. Please help!

Have you already emailed the GOG team? Apparently they're very good at getting back with personal responses, lots of people in the previous thread said they were really useful and quick in getting back to people. Also their forums are useful too I think.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Blake Stone!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

How good is their Apache vs. Havoc? I've not heard of this one.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Syncope posted:

You're A key is probably double bound to Strafe Left and Free Look or whatever it's called. Remap the Free Look key, I had to do the same thing.

Heh, yes. That's exactly what the problem was. I figured it out right after I made that post. I was just too embarrassed to admit it. Rise of the Triad never says whether or not you've mapped keys to multiple functions so it's easy to make a mistake like that.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
When and what is this "GDC" they keep talking about on their blog? They say the publisher they'll announce at that is "big"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr Pepper posted:

When and what is this "GDC" they keep talking about on their blog? They say the publisher they'll announce at that is "big"

Game Developer's Conference later this month.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mein Eyes! posted:

Blake Stone!

That's Robert Wills Stone the 3rd to you! :colbert:

ChimpyMonkey
Sep 11, 2001

Well, of course we're going to throw poo at him!

Gravy100 posted:

Have you already emailed the GOG team?

I'm pretty sure they won't support a third party executable... which is what eDuke.exe is.

I'm running eDuke as well, and can play fine. Except that at seemingly random intervals I get Alt-Tabbed back to my desktop, without me having done anything. I've left the game running, sat back, and watched it do this without me even touching my keyboard and mouse. Apart from that, its awesome :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Brother Jonathan posted:

How good is their Apache vs. Havoc? I've not heard of this one.

I bought it in a pack together with Falcon 4.0 and this M1 Abrams tank game back in the days and liked it all of them a lot. Apache vs. Havoc is a good mix between simulation and action, which I gladly would fall back to, when Falcon 4.0 frustrated me too much again ;-) Also the multiplayer was fun (or at least I played it a lot with friends at LAN parties ... can't remember what the objectives were).

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Weekend deal: patrician 3 and port royale 2 for $16

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Charlie Mopps posted:

Weekend deal: patrician 3 and port royale 2 for $16
Good deal? Yes/No?
The trailer looks nice, but the games seem pretty similar.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Good deal? Yes/No?
The trailer looks nice, but the games seem pretty similar.
The metacritic ranking for both games is 75. If you like the genre i guess it's not a bad deal for 2 good games.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Port Royale 2 is a decent amount of fun, and I think Patrician 3 is more or less the same deal in the Hanse (Northern Europe, and I own Port Royale 2 but I haven't played Patrician 3). If you don't mind trading/economic games, its a decent deal, and there's a bit of fun to be had as a pirate as well. There's multiplayer for Port Royale 2 as well (Not sure about Patrician 3), but I'm not sure how well it runs.

There's a few quirks though, like not being able to control more than one ship in a battle (you tag them in or out more or less), but on the whole they're pretty decent games, worth getting if you're into the genre.

Also, I'd like to ask how good Painkiller, Arx Fatalis, and Gothic 2 are.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Bought MDK. It's just as fun as I remember it. Maybe more! Still, I'm having some vanishing textures issues. How did you all solve this issue because it's not going away.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Nanpa posted:

Painkiller is worth it if you like frantic, arcadey, fast-paced shooters ala Serious Sam. Arx Fatalis is a pretty neat RPG where you cast spells by making mouse gestures and it was planned to be Ultima Underworld III, but they couldn't get the rights to the name.

I haven't played Gothic II, but I've heard great things about it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nanpa posted:

Gothic 2 Gold is arguably the best game in the Gothic series (Which now has three pirahna bytes games, and 1 non-pb standalone expansion). It's a pretty solid RPG. The best comparison would probably be The Witcher. The story is largely linear, but the world is rather open with sidequests and the like. The game is extremely punishing, however, and you will die alot. I'd personally play Gothic 1 (Which i've been thinking of doing an LP of one day) first since it's much more dated than Gothic 2 but the setting is, in my opinion, better.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Seconding blood... I loved the heck out of that game and even blood 2 couldn't kill it.

I think I'll be picking up ROTT if I can convince some junior high friends that it's time to revive our ROTT deathmatch tourney.

I forget, do either of the freespace games have multiplayer? either competitive or coop missions?

Toast fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 14, 2009

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Nanpa posted:

Painkiller is one of the best FPS games ever made. It's like a crazy gothic version of Serious Sam and has some of the best weapons ever in a game. The stake gun is insanely fun to use. Seriously every should buy it and its expansion Battle Out of Hell.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I agree for the most part, but I didn't really enjoy Painkiller until Part 2. It's really mindless, pointless feeling shooting for the first five chapters or so. Then all of a sudden the level design takes a turn for 'amazing' with convincing asylums and opera houses and other realistic-feeling locales.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Painkiller is all about mindless shooting, and it makes no exceptions to this fact. That is precisely why it is such an amazing game. It's not afraid to be simple where it counts. It's as old school as it gets.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I bought Painkiller via GOG for a second playthrough, and I heartily support the above opinions. For a slightly older game, it's utterly gorgeous.

To amuse myself further while playing I've been trying to figure out a 'story' for each level. Dante's trilogy was filled to the brim with allegory, and so I'm forcing my own boorish literary ideas onto the levels. What does each locale say about that part of purgatory and the inhabitants you're slaughtering?

So far, though, the level with the finest story, if not the most horrific visuals is the Town. Something like The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Why in the hell this game doesn't have co-op multi is a terrible mystery.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Topware Interactive is the next publisher up.

I don't recognize any of these games except Septerra Core, which I heard was thoroughly mediocre.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought Septerra Core at retail when it came out. I really wanted to like it, it didn't have any obvious problems, and it was well-made. It's just... Well, I started it several times, got to about the same place, and just put it down and never came back. The game just isn't engrossing. Maybe it's a story issue.

Maybe I'll try it again.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Topware Interactive is the next publisher up.

I don't recognize any of these games except Septerra Core, which I heard was thoroughly mediocre.

Earth 2150 and 2160 are pretty fun. Both have some pretty cool features, though 2150 is the more complex one. There was a ton of unit customization, and you could do poo poo like building an underground tunnel complex and then popping a huge invasion force up into the middle of your enemy's base. 2160 had 4 significantly different factions, though they were rather heavily starcraft inspired. The zerg-like one was neat though, and the missions were fun.

That Gorky 17 game was also called Odium, which sounds familiar to me, though I never played it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Vidmaster posted:

That Gorky 17 game was also called Odium, which sounds familiar to me, though I never played it.

I bought it a couple of years ago for cheap and loved it. It's kind of an adventure-game with RPG elements and a really cool turn-based combat system, in a dark setting. The battles were really exciting, because I often felt outnumbered and outgunned, but still managed to win once I figured out a superior tactic. It wasn't the lenghtiest of games, but it was immersive and had lot's of bad-rear end moments.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Topware released Knightshift, right? Hopefully that'll show up on the service.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Painkiller is all about mindless shooting, and it makes no exceptions to this fact. That is precisely why it is such an amazing game. It's not afraid to be simple where it counts. It's as old school as it gets.

Personally, I preferred the original Serious Sam to Painkiller. Don't get me wrong here - Painkiller is good, but it didn't quite have that 'Keep shooting and never, ever stop' sense of escalating panic that made me love Serious Sam so much.

Tangentially, I think both of them are topped by (the intially lame at launch) Serious Sam 2 with the Insamnity mod though, which essentially turns it into a full 3D version of Smash TV. Amazing fun in co-op. It also cross-ports some levels from SS1.

As for Arx Fatalis, as was mentioned, it was originally planned to be Ultima Underworld 3, but EA never, EVER let go of a lisence (it's why we haven't seen a System Shock 3 or Syndicate 3) so they had to rework it into a new property.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 17, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
OP updated. My whole thought process pretty much went like this upon visiting GoG a few minutes ago:

"TopWare? What did they make? Hmm...some of these look interesting...OOH, Septerra Core!" :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Vidmaster posted:

Earth 2150 and 2160 are pretty fun. Both have some pretty cool features, though 2150 is the more complex one. There was a ton of unit customization, and you could do poo poo like building an underground tunnel complex and then popping a huge invasion force up into the middle of your enemy's base.

I never played 2160 but 2150 was pretty neat. The it's complex as gently caress though so I had my fun by playing skirmishes that allocated resources over time (instead of you having to harvest them yourself), building and designing my own units (which is way cool), and then dropping nukes on people. RTS fans should really like it especially if you love to micro-manage.

Dominic White posted:

Personally, I preferred the original Serious Sam to Painkiller. Don't get me wrong here - Painkiller is good, but it didn't quite have that 'Keep shooting and never, ever stop' sense of escalating panic that made me love Serious Sam so much.

No it's definitely a different take on the genre. Everything in Painkiller is more deliberate and a bit slower. I love both of them though (even though I was a bit let down by SS2). I sure hope Croteam is working on something neat now. And who knows what the hell People Can Fly are doing after they got bought by Epic. Probably making loving patches for Gears of War 2 instead of another cool game.