Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

trilljester posted:

Is there a utility or anything that syncs ratings made on your iPod with the iTunes library?

Yeah, iTunes. As soon as you plug it in to sync it will change any rating stuff you changed on your iPod, and reflect the changes in iTunes. I use this every once in a while when I noticed a CD rip went bad, so I rate the song 0 stars to try and remind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

For some reason one band will not stay in the genre I put it in. The band was tagged with "Doom Metal" when I got it and I changed the tag to "Metal" as I don't divide things into sub-genres. Every time I play the music in itunes, it reverts back to the "Doom Metal" genre. I'm on a mac and this is the first time this has ever happened to me.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
Thanks for this, I never really looked into the smart playlists. Now I have a bunch of great smart play lists.

I have a question about CDs burned with iTunes. I can burn a cd and check write cd-text, and when I put that cd in my car or other stereos, the song info shows up, but when I put that CD into another computer iTunes will not read the track info. Is there any way to fix this? It would make importing compilation cds much easier.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I'm running the latest (8.02.20) version of iTunes, and my 64-bit machines running it can't seem to find my 32-bit counterparts. I've done all the obvious stuff, like make sure iTunes is allowed in firewall exceptions, libraries are shared, rendevous is allowed and even called out the ports specifically. Still, no luck. I've seen this posted on the Apple support forums, but I don't see any posted fixes.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

IUG posted:

Yeah, iTunes. As soon as you plug it in to sync it will change any rating stuff you changed on your iPod, and reflect the changes in iTunes. I use this every once in a while when I noticed a CD rip went bad, so I rate the song 0 stars to try and remind me.

Ahhh, so for those who manually manage their iPod are out of luck then?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

trilljester posted:

Ahhh, so for those who manually manage their iPod are out of luck then?

Never thought about it, but yeah, I'd imagine so.

That's an odd shortcoming though. Would it be so hard to have a "sync metadata" button if you manually manage the contents of your iPod? You should file a feature request with Apple.

(If you're willing to make a playlist and set your iPod to automatically sync with that playlist, you could probably get it to pick up on-device play counts and ratings.)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

pokeyman posted:

(If you're willing to make a playlist and set your iPod to automatically sync with that playlist, you could probably get it to pick up on-device play counts and ratings.)

This is a better choice anyway, because it lets you edit the items you want imported without actually plugging in your iPod. This way you can change things whenever you think of them and then sync before you go places or whatever.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Never thought about it, but yeah, I'd imagine so.

That's an odd shortcoming though. Would it be so hard to have a "sync metadata" button if you manually manage the contents of your iPod? You should file a feature request with Apple.

No, I think it would sync the changes to the music, but I don't think it would take out the music and add new music. If you change the ratings, I imagine that's the only thing that would change if you manually manage your music.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Itunes 8.1 has been released, which seems to have a, for me, significant speedboost when switching between playlists and the library or scrolling the library.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
An odd question: how does ITunes deal with recursively defined Smart Playlists? Since one of the criteria for playlists is "in / not in <other playlist>", it would seem to be easy to create smart playlist combinations that are unresolvable or troublesome. Anyone ever tried this?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

outlier posted:

An odd question: how does ITunes deal with recursively defined Smart Playlists? Since one of the criteria for playlists is "in / not in <other playlist>", it would seem to be easy to create smart playlist combinations that are unresolvable or troublesome. Anyone ever tried this?

I'm going to go experiment..

Playlist A: Song is Not in Playlist B
Playlist B: Song is in Playlist A

Godspeed.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

outlier posted:

is the result.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Itunes 8.1 has been released, which seems to have a, for me, significant speedboost when switching between playlists and the library or scrolling the library.

Any official release notes about it, or is it the standard "bug fix and performance enhancement" lingo notes?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.
Check for updates to the Remote app on your iPhone or iPod, it's gotten quite the overhaul. The voting on iTunes DJ is really nifty and you can even edit playlists. This is going to be really useful for parties!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm liking this update for iTunes. My library file went from 11.9 megs to 3.8 megs. That remote feature sounds really great, so now I just need an iPhone...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there's any reliable way of fixing dead music links besides re-adding everything? I tried modifying the .xml file but that only works for stuff that was downloaded/sorted through iTunes, and not for most of everything else.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 13, 2009

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

trilljester posted:

Any official release notes about it, or is it the standard "bug fix and performance enhancement" lingo notes?

quote:

iTunes 8.1 "is now faster and more responsive," Apple says. "You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing."

In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides several other improvements and bug fixes, including:

* Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
Includes many accessibility improvements.
Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.

iTunes 8.1 also includes a couple of security enhancements.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does anyone know if there's any reliable way of fixing dead music links besides re-adding everything? I tried modifying the .xml file but that only works for stuff that was downloaded/sorted through iTunes, and not for most of everything else.
http://paulmayne.org/blog/2007/11/how-to-remove-broken-or-dead-tracks-from-itunes/

this works for me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.

Anyone know what this one is talking about?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ZeeBoi posted:

Maybe it'll be usable on Windows finally :D

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

IUG posted:

As far as I know they just set the default import settings to AAC 320 (? whatever the iTunes Plus files are).

My iTunes is actually usable again, there's a definite speed boost.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Is there any other way to get the songs that start with numbers at the top of the library other than typing "aaaaaaaaaaa" in the sort name field?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

IUG posted:

They've renamed the 'higher quality' 256kbps import setting, set it as default, and it's now VBR instead of CBR.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
so does anyone know how to "Set up" the iphone "voting" thingy for iTunes DJ?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Feenix posted:

so does anyone know how to "Set up" the iphone "voting" thingy for iTunes DJ?

iTunes DJ -> Settings -> "Allow guests to request songs", etc.

Update Remote.app on iPhone.

Remote -> Playlists -> iTunes DJ -> Request a Song.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
iTunes 8.1 has upgraded it to silently not even start when I open it, progress.

Edit: Actually it just takes a really long time to load, everytime it starts.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 14, 2009

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm going to delete every bit I can of iTunes (except my library) to try and reinstall and fix issues after the 8.1 update. Would the best way to do this be just to uninstall every Apple program, and then delete all the directories I can see that are left over?

(The issue: When upgrading to v8.1, the installer just sat for hours doing nothing, verified by my resource monitor. I killed the task and installed v8.1 manually. Now it does "installing device driver" every time I update my iPhone, and won't sync what I listened to on my phone to the computer. My iPod classic works fine, except if I right-click and hit sync, it locks iTunes up until I unplug the iPod. I have to sync by just unplugging it and replugging it.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The only thing I can think of to help you is try to make sure you have the most up-to-date version of Quicktime. If that doesn't help, maybe quicktime would benefit from a re-install too?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

IUG posted:

The only thing I can think of to help you is try to make sure you have the most up-to-date version of Quicktime. If that doesn't help, maybe quicktime would benefit from a re-install too?
I plan on nuking Quicktime as well, so I assume it will grab a new copy of it when I reinstall iTunes. Thanks.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Hmm, does the Apple Software Updater thing utilize iTunes 64 bit?

I had the 64 bit version of iTunes 8.0 installed, and ran the Apple updater. Now, i'm running the 32 bit version of 8.1.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

syphon posted:

Hmm, does the Apple Software Updater thing utilize iTunes 64 bit?

I had the 64 bit version of iTunes 8.0 installed, and ran the Apple updater. Now, i'm running the 32 bit version of 8.1.
Every time I've installed 64-bit iTunes, it still goes into the x86 programs. I don't think it's actually a 64-bit program yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

-Dethstryk- posted:

I plan on nuking Quicktime as well, so I assume it will grab a new copy of it when I reinstall iTunes. Thanks.

Before you get too far along, keep in mind that an archive and install takes like 20 minutes. Add on maybe an hour total dragging apps/settings over and you're back to where you were, except (in all likelihood) with working iTunes/QuickTime.

Just something to consider before spending four hours aimlessly browsing forums, blogs and newsgroups. I've definitely made the wrong choice before in a "must solve problem!" fervor.

e: If you're on Mac OS, I mean. Windows tends to be a bit more involved in a reinstall.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 14, 2009

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Before you get too far along, keep in mind that an archive and install takes like 20 minutes. Add on maybe an hour total dragging apps/settings over and you're back to where you were, except (in all likelihood) with working iTunes/QuickTime.

Just something to consider before spending four hours aimlessly browsing forums, blogs and newsgroups. I've definitely made the wrong choice before in a "must solve problem!" fervor.

e: If you're on Mac OS, I mean. Windows tends to be a bit more involved in a reinstall.
Definitely on Windows, or I probably wouldn't be having these issues. :)

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
I've read the entire thread, so hopefully this wasn't already answered, but here is my issue:

I want to fill my iPhone with 4* and 5* tracks, so I have a Smart Playlist set to include all tracks rated better than 3*. However, this gives me duplicates

An example:
The Smith's "How Soon Is Now?"
It is on Hatful of Hollow and Meat is Murder as well as the Pitchfork Top 500 Songs. I have three copies of it, all rated 5*. I want to keep all three copies, because I want to preserve the integrity of the collection, but I don't need 3 copies of it on my iPhone.

Obviously this isn't a problem for just one song, I do it manually, but it's a pretty widespread issue in my collection.

[edit]

Added an image to illustrate the problem and also to manipulate readers into being more interested in my post.

groverat fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 15, 2009

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

groverat posted:

I've read the entire thread, so hopefully this wasn't already answered, but here is my issue:

I want to fill my iPhone with 4* and 5* tracks, so I have a Smart Playlist set to include all tracks rated better than 3*. However, this gives me duplicates

An example:
It is on Hatful of Hollow and Meat is Murder as well as the Pitchfork Top 500 Songs. I have three copies of it, all rated 5*. I want to keep all three copies, because I want to preserve the integrity of the collection, but I don't need 3 copies of it on my iPhone.

Obviously this isn't a problem for just one song, I do it manually, but it's a pretty widespread issue in my collection.

[edit]

Added an image to illustrate the problem and also to manipulate readers into being more interested in my post.
I struggled with this for a while and just ended up unchecking one of each duplicate.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
It's a pain in the rear end, but I can't think of anything else, either.

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003
I'm weird...so forgive me

groverat posted:

An example:

[edit]

Kind of a workaround, but you could keep only one track rated 5 and un-rate the other two.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
You could put "duplicate" in the comment field and set up one of the smart playlist fields to be "Comment" "is not" "". (assuming you don't already use the comment field for something else.)

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
All I can think of is to make the playlist not include any compilations, though that will also exclude songs you only have on compilations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

groverat posted:

First and foremost you should also get the How Soon Is Now? cover by Snake River Conspiracy.

Anyway I have played around with iTunes DJ and found out one thing: You can only request songs that are in the "Source:" playlist set in iTunes. Makes a lot of sense but I was confused at first. Interesting feature that will spawn technocratic parties I guess.

But what's annyoing to me is that there are no checkboxes in the DJ any more; I would uncheck all the songs in the list to emulate "stop after current track". (See my other posts in this thread.) And scripts didn't work for me that well. I guess I will have to give them a try again.