Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Zombywuf posted:

Have I mentioned Emacs recently?

p.s. Today I discovered that C-M-h C-w will kill the function the point is in :-)

there is/was an emacs thread around, please do post in it it needs to come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Found this code today:
code:
const char *host = getenv ("DATA_HOST");
if (!host) host = "";

const char *path = getenv ("DATA_PATH");
if (!path) path = "";

const char *file = /* got from a drop down box, can possibly be "" */;

char cmd[256];
sprintf (cmd, "rsh %s /bin/rm -rf %s/%s &", host, path, file);

FILE *ptr = popen (cmd, "r");
if (ptr) {
  char buf[256];
  while (fgets (buf, sizeof (buf), ptr) != NULL) {
    (void) fprintf (stderr, "%s", buf);
  }
  int rc = pclose (ptr);
} else {
  perror ("popen");
}

if (0 != rc) {
  char message[256];
  sprintf (message, "unable to delete %s", file);
  fprintf (stderr, "%s", message);
}
Edit: Oh yes, I forgot to mention this code is found in a .cpp file.

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 27, 2009

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

You forgot to mention that it took three people to craft that gem.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Actually, more than 5 people have touched the file over the course of 5 years and all 5 of these people still work here. In fact, 3 of the 5 can be considered my supervisors.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Lexical Unit posted:

code:

Wow. How has this not blown up in your face yet?

At the very least an exception could be raised if not all of the environment variables are set.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Good question. I asked my boss the same thing. He shrugged. He is one of the 5.

Edit: The rabbit hole gets deeper. The program comes with a .env that should be sourced before execution. That file looks like this:
code:
export DATA_HOST=${DATA_HOST:-"ERROR: undefined"}
export DATA_PATH=${DATA_PATH:-"ERROR: undefined"}
Problem solved! :downs:

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 27, 2009

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

code:

mr_jim posted:

Wow. How has this not blown up in your face yet?

At the very least an exception could be raised if not all of the environment variables are set.

I was more worried about someone modifying host, path, or file to include ";echo hackAccount::0:0::/root:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd"

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Kelson posted:

code:
I was more worried about someone modifying host, path, or file to include ";echo hackAccount::0:0::/root:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd"

I really hope that the program is running under an unprivileged account, but that might be expecting too much.

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

mr_jim posted:

I really hope that the program is running under an unprivileged account, but that might be expecting too much.

Many of the more important files can still be read from even if they're unprivileged, and many risky apps can be executed as well. An attacker could, for example, use it to download privilege escalating malware (one of the many reasons your server should never execute wget...)

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

quote:

An attacker could, for example, use it to download privilege escalating malware (one of the many reasons your server should never execute wget...)
Runs on an airgapped network, so downloading malware or anything else for that matter, is not a concern. That's not an affirmative defense of this code, of course. :)

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

mr_jim posted:

Yeah no. It runs as root.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I'm working on porting a ~30,000+ line embedded c app to linux. Now, the entire thing is a case study regarding coding horrors and I could go on for quite some time with fun examples from it, but here's my favorite so far:

code:
#define PRINT_TO_STRING printEnd += sprintf(printEnd,
my editor is really loving the unmatched parens that are strewn about the code as a result.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sklnd posted:

I'm working on porting a ~30,000+ line embedded c app to linux. Now, the entire thing is a case study regarding coding horrors and I could go on for quite some time with fun examples from it, but here's my favorite so far:

code:
#define PRINT_TO_STRING printEnd += sprintf(printEnd,
my editor is really loving the unmatched parens that are strewn about the code as a result.

So... does it start writing to unallocated memory if the string gets longer than the size of printEnd? Man, that's so much easier and safer than just writing a simple logging function! Good work team, commit that poo poo.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

code:
try
{
  return result;
}
finally
{
  log.Info("Some log message");
}
Log message changed to protect the guilty.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Not directly code-related, but my new job uses this horrible VCS from IBM, named "Synergy". Check out the rad 90's design (it looks even worse in UNIX):

Use of the UNIX version involves SSH, port forwarding, and NFS. Its sole purpose appears to be to inhibit any useful development.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
:byodood:

code:
class LogSingleton {
public:
	static void PrintMessage (std::string text) {
		if (!instance)
			instance = new LogSingleton ();
		instance->RealPrintMessage (text);
	}

static void PrintError (std::string text) {
		if (!instance)
		instance->RealPrintError (text);
	}

private:
	void RealPrintMessage (std::string text) {
		std::cout << text << "\n";
	}
	void RealPrintError (std::string text) {
		std::cout << "AN ERROR" << text << "\n";
	}
	static LogSingleton *instance;
};

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Haha, someone read about singletons, and the example was probably a logger. That's awesome.

Sometimes I write code like this - the part of my brain that says "You're doing too much" just disengages.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Why... why am I calling this private method...

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Janin posted:

:byodood:

code:
class LogSingleton {
public:
		if (!instance)
		instance->RealPrintMessage (text);
	}

if (!instance)
		instance->RealPrintError (text);
	}

private:
	void RealPrintMessage (std::string text) {
	}
	void RealPrintError (std::string text) {
	}
	static LogSingleton *instance;
};

What's you're problem, would you rather gently caress with the std::cout singleton when you need to change logging behaviour?

I'll admit it could use some thread safety and should really be two classes, but it's not horrific.

TSDK
Nov 24, 2003

I got a wooden uploading this one

Zombywuf posted:

What's you're problem,
Ahem...
code:
class LogSingleton {
public:
	}

}
};

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I'm assuming the original developer was planning to add more sophisticated code later, like locking, but didn't get the time.

Basically it's overcomplicated for what it does right now, but it's pretty clear as to how it's doing what it's doing.

TSDK
Nov 24, 2003

I got a wooden uploading this one

Zombywuf posted:

I'm assuming the original developer was planning to add more sophisticated code later, like locking, but didn't get the time.

Basically it's overcomplicated for what it does right now, but it's pretty clear as to how it's doing what it's doing.
Perhaps he/she didn't get the time because he/she was always adding in code that wasn't actually needed.

Coding for the future can be appropriate, however, there's also a lot to be said for waiting until you have a better idea of what's needed before writing code. That way if you never need it then you've not wasted any time, and if what you actually turn out to need is different to what you thought you'd need, then there's less code that needs changing.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

TSDK posted:

Perhaps he/she didn't get the time because he/she was always adding in code that wasn't actually needed.

Coding for the future can be appropriate, however, there's also a lot to be said for waiting until you have a better idea of what's needed before writing code. That way if you never need it then you've not wasted any time, and if what you actually turn out to need is different to what you thought you'd need, then there's less code that needs changing.

True, but as horrors go, this is unhorrorfic.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Zombywuf posted:

True, but as horrors go, this is unhorrorfic.
Reading code like this is, for me, exactly like reading sentences where people are unnecessarily using unusual words, or even using words that aren't words like irregardless. They very clearly don't have a good grasp of the best ways of conveying ideas, they likely don't understand at all what they are saying, and are just copying what other people have said, and they probably just aren't smart or curious at all. After all, if they were they would have bothered to look up irregardless.

edit:
If you write code like this where you do something unnecessary because you believe it will be necessary in the future, you better at least comment why you are doing something unnecessary. If I saw this in a source tree I was working on, I would do something similar to what TSDK did without thinking twice.

twodot fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 13, 2009

julyJones
Feb 12, 2007

Stopped making sense.

twodot posted:

. . .they probably just aren't smart or curious at all. After all, if they were they would have bothered to look up irregardless.
look up irregardless

To actually add to the discussion: I do this kind of thing myself, for better or worse. For me, it's a defensive strategy; you can't be guaranteed the person who's going to be using or modifying that code later will know how it was meant to be used, especially if people don't read or write documentation, like where I work. :(

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

julyJones posted:

look up irregardless
Is there some pet dictionary of yours I should use, because every dictionary I've looked it up in says it's a nonstandard usage of regardless.

quote:

To actually add to the discussion: I do this kind of thing myself, for better or worse. For me, it's a defensive strategy; you can't be guaranteed the person who's going to be using or modifying that code later will know how it was meant to be used, especially if people don't read or write documentation, like where I work.
Adding unnecessary code lets people more easily understand how it was meant to be used? I would think they would just be confused by the unnecessary code, and assume whoever wrote it wasn't thinking at the time, or that it was necessary at one point in them, but since then whatever reason it had to exist was removed, and it's unnecessary now.

edit:
To clarify my point, code which doesn't do anything but waste cycles at best offers no additional clarity, because there are lots of ways useless code can be introduced into a project. If you want to prevent people from using a function/class/whatever in certain ways you have two tools 1) Add asserts that stop people from doing whatever you are trying to stop them from doing 2) Add comments (or documentation I guess) telling them not to do it. If they don't read your comments, they likely won't read your code either.

twodot fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 13, 2009

MarsMattel
May 25, 2001

God, I've heard about those cults Ted. People dressing up in black and saying Our Lord's going to come back and save us all.
I think the real horror is the two copies of the string being created each time a message is printed. :smith:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

twodot posted:

Is there some pet dictionary of yours I should use, because every dictionary I've looked it up in says it's a nonstandard usage of regardless.

We use ANSI around these parts. None of that nonstandard city talk. :clint:

julyJones
Feb 12, 2007

Stopped making sense.

twodot posted:

Adding unnecessary code lets people more easily understand how it was meant to be used? I would think they would just be confused by the unnecessary code, and assume whoever wrote it wasn't thinking at the time, or that it was necessary at one point in them, but since then whatever reason it had to exist was removed, and it's unnecessary now.

That is a possibility too, but my hope is always that when people see something they're not sure about, they'll ask around and get some opinions from people before removing code. My bet in this case would be that taking the time to write a dozen lines or so, if there's even a small chance there'll actually be a real logger implemented later, is better than leaving people to their own devices, in which case you might get a bunch of variations on screen and file output that'll be a pain to refactor later. :(

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Zombywuf posted:

std::cout singleton

Hahahahahahahaha

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
My girlfriend was sent an auto-generated password to log into some medical site. We couldn't believe the password:

)       |.   /

It worked fine to login, but I mean, who the hell thought of writing a generator to create those kinds of passwords?

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.
Never heard of the ole generate a password by taking a random 1x14 rectangle out of a piece of ASCII art? Oldest trick in the book, man.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Lord Uffenham posted:

Never heard of the ole generate a password by taking a random 1x14 rectangle out of a piece of ASCII art? Oldest trick in the book, man.

Hahaha, that's great.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I want my password to be Bender! o-(8 E|

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Avenging Dentist posted:

I want my password to be Bender! o-(8 E|

5318008 is the best password

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Janin posted:

Not directly code-related, but my new job uses this horrible VCS from IBM, named "Synergy". Check out the rad 90's design (it looks even worse in UNIX):

Use of the UNIX version involves SSH, port forwarding, and NFS. Its sole purpose appears to be to inhibit any useful development.

Oh god, don't remind me.

Our client used this for their source control, when we gave them a new release they always wanted us to (somehow) get code into it. We just gave up and put zips on our FTP. Only one machine had the software on it, and no-one on the project at the time knew how to use the drat thing, it was just one big clusterfuck.

You don't happen to work for a large british utility company?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm trying to fix a bug in some poorly written Actionscript 2.0 app. I wish I could post the entire source, this thing is a loving disaster. I already went through the supporting javascript, it's down to 30 very clear lines instead of 250 lines of garbled bullshit. The actionscript is thousands of lines though, gently caress.

edit: here we go. Why pass it as an argument to the function when you can build it into the function name??

code:
private function saveInput(objField):Void{
	var userinput = objField.userinput;
	_root.debug("INPUT","=========== saveInput("+userinput+") ==========");
	Constants.data_main[0] = userinput;
	Constants.obj_timelines[0].redraw();
}

private function saveInput5(objField):Void{
	var userinput = objField.userinput;
	_root.debug("INPUT","=========== saveInput5("+userinput+") ==========");
	Constants.data_main[0] = userinput;
	Constants.data_main[1] = userinput;
	Constants.data_main[2] = userinput;
	Constants.data_main[3] = userinput;
	Constants.data_main[4] = userinput;
	Constants.obj_timelines[0].redraw();
	Constants.obj_timelines[1].redraw();
	Constants.obj_timelines[2].redraw();
	Constants.obj_timelines[3].redraw();
	Constants.obj_timelines[4].redraw();
}

fletcher fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 14, 2009

TheSleeper
Feb 20, 2003

fletcher posted:

I'm trying to fix a bug in some poorly written Actionscript 2.0 app. I wish I could post the entire source, this thing is a loving disaster.

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

TheSleeper posted:

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up.

:( I just wanted to vent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

JingleBells posted:

You don't happen to work for a large british utility company?

No, it's an American company.

Zombywuf posted:

What's you're problem, would you rather gently caress with the std::cout singleton when you need to change logging behaviour?

I'll admit it could use some thread safety and should really be two classes, but it's not horrific.

cout isn't a singleton, LogSingleton isn't a (proper) singleton, almost any use of "singletons" is dumb, and the particular implementation of static methods proxying to private method is absurd.

MarsMattel posted:

I think the real horror is the two copies of the string being created each time a message is printed. :smith:

References are regularly used elsewhere in the code in lieu of return values, but I've never seen a single const reference parameter.