Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

Syrg posted:

Same here, 9.64 loaded it and ran the little tartan maker smoothly.

Odd works now after a reboot, well thats one less problem I have.

Also how many of you are using the Tango_Cl theme? I honestly can't use Opera on any operating system without it installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

hobolooter posted:

Also how many of you are using the Tango_Cl theme? I honestly can't use Opera on any operating system without it installed.

I use Mirage Aprice myself. Streamlined, matches my dark theme, clean buttons.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Personally using D.T.A. slim.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

New Opera Alpha through the usual channels, doesn't seem to have added anything new really, just bugfixes.

Opera auto updater is still pitching a fit about auto-updating Opera 10 to Opera 10 because once, many moons ago, I have Opera 9.5 installed. This is getting on my nerves, it's almost as bad as Firefox's auto updater silently failing 3 or 4 times before succeeding.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
To be fair it did also partly break digg and facebook, which may be blockers of known issues to folks here.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lakitu7 posted:

To be fair it did also partly break digg and facebook, which may be blockers of known issues to folks here.

Oh, I didn't really pay attention, since it's still loving refusing to install automatically.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I'm not getting an update notification at all. I win.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

antimatter posted:

I have been using opera for a few days and its quite nice, its bloody fast too! However I've been suffering an annoying bug/glitch, in that once in a while I will lose focus on the opera window, in that I can still do things with my mouse, but it just does not respond to key press at all.

To fix it, I just wait for a while, or alt/tab to several other programs and back, or switch to a different desktop and back then it start to work.

Opera/9.63 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.1.1

On Fedora 10.

Yeah, I've had this problem too, also running Linux. It happens to me maybe twice a week, so it's not that big a deal for me. How frequently do you get it? What window manager & desktop environment are you running? Are you able to reliably reproduce the issue?

I've also had a problem where switching to another workspace (using Ctrl+Alt+#, my shortcut keys) and back causes the Ctrl key to get "stuck" in Opera, which means when I use the scroll wheel on the mouse, it zooms the page in/out. This is a much more annoying issue for me, though it could be the recent XFCE upgrade loving up.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
So, you know that thing where the forums get stuck on element N/N every page? I hadn't had that in ages on Opera 9, but switching to 10 alpha brought it back, and I don't remember what you're supposed to do about it since it's been so long since I cared.

Also, this is a much weirder bug, a few sites have a habit of disappearing completely on load, and unfortunately gmail is one of them. Has anybody encountered this and have any ideas about it?

Edit: Similarly, Megaupload pages won't work, as the download button does not pop up after the timer reaches zero. Also, images that are hidden by javascript powered folds don't show up when summoned, though this may be an older bug. I love Opera for many things, but oh man do I hate it for some.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 12, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Opera Turbo

quote:

At Opera, we love speed. We work hard to make our browser faster with features that speeds you up, but your connection also plays a big role on how fast you can go.

Some people have fast connections, a lot have slow connections. Many are always on the run from one place to another — making it hard to find regular fast connection points. Even if you do, it might be that too many people are on the Wi-Fi in the cafe or that you are browsing through your mobile phone when commuting on the train.

That’s why we’ve been working on Opera Turbo, a server-side optimization and compression technology that provides significant improvements in browsing speeds over limited-bandwidth connections by compressing network traffic. This does not only make you surf faster, but also lowers the cost of browsing when you are on a pay per usage plan. [...]

I don't have time to try this now but I might later today.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

So, you know that thing where the forums get stuck on element N/N every page? I hadn't had that in ages on Opera 9, but switching to 10 alpha brought it back, and I don't remember what you're supposed to do about it since it's been so long since I cared.

Also, this is a much weirder bug, a few sites have a habit of disappearing completely on load, and unfortunately gmail is one of them. Has anybody encountered this and have any ideas about it?
Turning off iframes in site preferences worked in Opera 9, but doesn't seem to work in Opera 10.

The only site I've noticed vanishing is viddler, gmail works perfectly for me.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I'm still having a massive problem with Flash freezing the browser and memory leaking the process if I leave it enabled. I've tried totally reinstalling flash and opera itself has updated too but I still can't leave plugins on.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Edit: Similarly, Megaupload pages won't work, as the download button does not pop up after the timer reaches zero. Also, images that are hidden by javascript powered folds don't show up when summoned, though this may be an older bug. I love Opera for many things, but oh man do I hate it for some.
I think Opera 10 is a lot more finnicky about which browser you're identifying yourself as using. Half the websites I use now break if I change it to identify as Firefox. I discovered this because I NEVER identify as Firefox, but happened to do so recently while testing... and everything broke and I couldn't put 2 and 2 together as to why. I eventually figured out it's because I forgot to reset my "Identify as" setting. Worth checking, anyway!

Floating Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Is it... dead?
My laptop has a middle mouse button that is used to scroll but this doesn't work in Opera. Is there any way to configure Opera to get this to work?

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Something about Opera that's bugged me for the longest time is that if you have a lot of bookmarks, the dropdown menu overlaps the actual Bookmark button itself, so quite frequently, I'll accidentally hit "Bookmark Page...", since it's the first button, and have to cancel it. Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this?

Floating Fish posted:

My laptop has a middle mouse button that is used to scroll but this doesn't work in Opera. Is there any way to configure Opera to get this to work?

1. Find out which button your middle click is (usually Mouse 3 on a normal mouse).

2. Go to Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Shortcuts | Edit Mouse, find the function you want it to do, and edit it, or make a new one.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

tismondo posted:

I think Opera 10 is a lot more finnicky about which browser you're identifying yourself as using. Half the websites I use now break if I change it to identify as Firefox. I discovered this because I NEVER identify as Firefox, but happened to do so recently while testing... and everything broke and I couldn't put 2 and 2 together as to why. I eventually figured out it's because I forgot to reset my "Identify as" setting. Worth checking, anyway!

Uh... I don't know how to change this anymore, so it's almost certainly set to the default. Also I've noticed with this build (4214) space doesn't page down or fast forward anymore, though it is mapped to fast forward in the preferences. I'm starting to get annoyed.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Uh... I don't know how to change this anymore, so it's almost certainly set to the default. Also I've noticed with this build (4214) space doesn't page down or fast forward anymore, though it is mapped to fast forward in the preferences. I'm starting to get annoyed.

Space is working fine for me in the latest build.

Try renaming your Opera AppData folder and seeing which of these issues stick.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

AzraelNewtype posted:

All of this (including the one that was a longer term bug than just the 10 alphas) is gone. Thinking about it, I haven't actaully checked much of this in 4214 (this post was made about 4166 which was the newest in portage at the time) though with my profile, so I'll have to try that and edit in results.

Edit: Yeah, all of these things fail with my profile as is in 4214 and worked with a clean profile. This means something in here is causing me a lot of pain, and I don't know what it is.

Edit 3: ugh the long standing hidden image thing is blatantly my fault, I have a script that forces unloaded images to not take up space. It's primarily used for fixing flow of things where ads are embedded in documents but are now blocked by my urifilter.ini. I have a similar one for iframes, which is why I never had the N/N hold issue before, though these might just be totally unnecessary now.

Edit 4: haha this has got to be annoying by now, but yeah that's what was causing that, and the blanking of gmail and other sites, and the uselessness of megaupload. Gmail is not actually usable at the moment, as it doesn't receive click events, and the naked profile was working, but this is at least a step in the right direction. Unfortunately this means ads that are now blocked still waste space, but the side effects of stopping that were problematic.

Edit 5: gently caress, gmail was failing due to another userjs that was designed to mess with phishing urls, though in practice messed with all sorts of stuff. The javascript heavy linking in that interface must have triggered its poo poo sensors and was silently failing. I think this covers everything from the above quote now, but the below one (and edit 2) is still an issue.

AzraelNewtype posted:

This isn't, even on a naked profile (I'm assuming the windows %AppData%\Opera folder is analagous to ~/.opera/). 9.2 Compatible and Opera for UNIX presets all perform the same way.

Edit 2: alt+letter doesn't seem to trigger the items in the menubar anymore, which is really, really bizarre. What the HELL could be wrong with a profile to cause that?

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 17, 2009

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Is there any way to make Opera show filenames for images?
For example this image http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3005551&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=449#post358080119 shows up as Reaganputin.jpg in Firefox, and as 7602c8b82093c1271bf829c1f46710e1f22d4499.jpg in Opera.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

LooKMaN posted:

Is there any way to make Opera show filenames for images?
For example this image http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3005551&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=449#post358080119 shows up as Reaganputin.jpg in Firefox, and as 7602c8b82093c1271bf829c1f46710e1f22d4499.jpg in Opera.

This is due to WaffleImages doing redirects for the images (Reaganputin.jpg => 7602c8b82093c1271bf829c1f46710e1f22d4499.jpg). Opera displays the redirect URL, Firefox displays the original URL. I honestly don't know which behavior I consider more correct.

In any case, viewing the page source will get you the original URL (you can use Ctrl-F with the "junk" URL to find it more easily). Or, you can quote the post and find the original filename that way. More workarounds than a solution, but maybe it'll help.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Omagad. I just discovered the power of 8 (the key). Try it. Awesome sauce.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Doesn't do anything here.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mithaldu posted:

Doesn't do anything here.

Ditto, what's it supposed to be doing?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Casao posted:

Ditto, what's it supposed to be doing?
Seems to zoom in in, filtering all the padding and zooming straight to the actual content.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
If you have single key shortcuts on '8' increases the zoom by 100%.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Opera Turbo

I don't have time to try this now but I might later today.

So I just installed this on my laptop, which I frequently use on a tethered evdo connection, and from 20 minutes of browsing around, it is really loving impressive. Just looking at mostly-text sites like the forums, it's typically getting 3-3.5x compression, and it feels even faster than that.

Now the question is if/what they'll charge for it once it's past the test phase. Given the bandwidth it must use, I don't see how it could continue to be free, but then I'd think the same thing about opera mini.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

They will charge for it. It was originally only free for business customers, but either they actually listened to complaints, or they found out they needed a ton more of beta testers.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Is there an Opera feature similar to Adobe Acrobat Reader's hand tool?

Using scroll wheels and arrow keys sometimes makes for jolt-like movements, which is a pain when reading long pieces of text.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Try mouse-wheel-clicking. Many applications have that, but opera has by far the most comfortable algorithm for speed and movement.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I prefer the middle-click pan, but ctrl-alt-drag gives you hand-like scrolling, and enabling ScrollIsPan makes it always on.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

ctrl-alt-drag gives you hand-like scrolling

:aaaaa:

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Plorkyeran posted:

I prefer the middle-click pan, but ctrl-alt-drag gives you hand-like scrolling, and enabling ScrollIsPan makes it always on.
Awesome, thanks. Middle-click is my usual preference, but depending on the site, it might stutter, as I scroll down. Ctrl+Alt isn't the definition of smooth as seen in .pdf documents, but it still does a great job.

Thanks again.

Nobdy
Apr 12, 2004
LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ
Oh Opera Gurus, I have a weird issue.

Normally, when I run Opera I use "ctrl-h" to reduce it to a small tray icon instead of relaunching it all the time. When Opera is actually open this little icon stays there in the tray.

However, on my Laptop it suddenly stopped working a while ago (after the 9.6 update I think?). Now the icon goes away every time I restore Opera. It's not that big of an issue, but I find it odd and haven't been able to find a setting anywhere that controls this behavior. I even tried recopying all my settings files from my desktop but it still does it.

Ideas?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Nobdy posted:

Oh Opera Gurus, I have a weird issue.

Normally, when I run Opera I use "ctrl-h" to reduce it to a small tray icon instead of relaunching it all the time. When Opera is actually open this little icon stays there in the tray.

However, on my Laptop it suddenly stopped working a while ago (after the 9.6 update I think?). Now the icon goes away every time I restore Opera. It's not that big of an issue, but I find it odd and haven't been able to find a setting anywhere that controls this behavior. I even tried recopying all my settings files from my desktop but it still does it.

Ideas?
ctrl-alt-shift-H minimizes to tray now.

In 10.x, at least, if you go to preferences (ctrl-f12) -> advanced tab -> shortcuts, you can select 'opera 9.2 compatible' as the keyboard shortcut scheme, which makes ctrl-h work. You could also edit the default scheme -- the functions in question are both under 'application', with the action you're looking for being 'Hide Opera' and the existing "h ctrl" being 'Focus panel, "history"...'.

WoG fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 23, 2009

Nobdy
Apr 12, 2004
Opera still hides, but the tray icon is not persistent. It's probably not Opera's fault, as I haven't rebuilt that system in quite a long time. I just thought there might be a hidden setting somewhere specifically controlling the tray icon.

Thanks though, I had forgotten about the shortcut configurator.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The Opera tray icon is only persistent if you have M2 enabled.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.
Opera and Skyhook Wireless bring Geolocation to the Web

quote:

Opera Software and Skyhook Wireless today announced their partnership to bring geolocation to the Web. Users can now simply choose to share their location with any Web site and get a range of information about related products and services around them. Whether it is local searching, social networking, geotagging photos, local advertising or discovering nearby content, geolocation is a key factor in creating a relevant and meaningful experience on the Web.

Traditionally, geolocation was considered as being only a part of a downloadable mobile application, but, with Skyhook’s Wi-Fi Positioning System (WPS), any computer or mobile phone with a wireless adapter can take advantage of its advanced positioning technology and locate a user, making this service available to any Web site.

With the new W3C Geolocation Application Programming Interface (API), Opera will make Skyhook Wireless’ groundbreaking location platform available to any Web developer with just a few lines of JavaScript. For example, a popular coffee chain will write the necessary JavaScript code on their Web site, Opera will ask the user for approval, then the location will be submitted to the Web site servers and their service will display the coffee shop locations nearest to the user on a map.

A technology preview is available for download at http://labs.opera.com/news/2009/03/26/

Nobdy
Apr 12, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

The Opera tray icon is only persistent if you have M2 enabled.

This was the clue that I needed. It turns out that somehow the mail client had become enabled on my laptop, so the icon was no longer persistant. The option I needed to change is the "Show E-mail Client" option under UserPrefs in config.

davebees
Feb 18, 2009
Is there any way to customise the main toolbar so that there's no Widgets menu? It's not a big deal really, but I never use widgets so it's just taking up space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

In Preferences -> Advanced -> Toolbars, create a copy of the default menu layout. Open %APPDATA%\Opera\Opera 10 Preview\profile\menu\standard_menu (1).ini, delete the line "Submenu, M_WIDGET_MENU, Browser Widgets Menu". Restart Opera and switch the copied menu configuration and the Widgets menu will be gone. I'm not sure what you'd get out of this unless you use a very narrow browser window though, as it'll just leave more blank space after the Help menu...