Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Phone posted:

I need a heat gun. Is the HF good enough for peeling off vinyl stripes?

I have heard nothing but BAD things about the HF orange heat gun. Apparently its one of the stay away from things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

RealKyleH posted:

I have heard nothing but BAD things about the HF orange heat gun. Apparently its one of the stay away from things.

Mine works fine, in that I used it 3 times to heat some shrink wrap and then it sits on the shelf and makes me not have to buy a more expensive one. If you are just using it for a little bit, then its fine.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
From this thread:

Demie posted:

Hit an Apex posted:

- Harborfreight Heatgun - they are not durable at all.
seconding this, my mom's fell apart in her hands. something with a heating element should not do that, I don't care how cheap you want to sell it for.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
No falling apart yet, I will report back if it does when I try to use it to strip some furniture.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I haven't had a problem with my HF orange heat gun, either... puts out a lot of heat and has served me well. Sounds like it's going to fall apart at any minute, but it keeps soldiering on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RealKyleH posted:

What do you suggest?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Phone posted:

What do you suggest?

I don't really know, the only time I've needed a heat gun was to remove sound deadening and I borrowed a friends a few years ago so I don't remember the brand.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Phone posted:

What do you suggest?

If it's for heatshrink there's always the side (shroud) of a soldering iron.

I want one too and I'm scared of the HF one for reasons stated.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Oh if it's for heat shrink I just use a lighter.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

RealKyleH posted:

Oh if it's for heat shrink I just use a lighter.

I make OE's cry with my harnesses, and I use a lighter for 99% of it.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I've had a few heat guns. one was almost $100, another was $70, and my last one was $10 (HF). The only difference I've noticed is that that cheapo $10 unit only has 2 heat settings (not variable).

A lighter or soldering iron work in a pinch, but the heat gun always gets better results.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's to remove vinyl stripes.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Just used my HF A/C manifold for the first time. Word to the wise, it doesn't come with what you need to puncture the cans.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Can you guys recommend me a brand of anti-seize? I'm about to put some new wheels on and I'd like for them not to get stuck on like the current ones are :downs:

Also, is PB Blaster the best stuff for taking out stubborn poo poo?

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
Kroil has been recommended before.
I use deep creep by seafoam because I can go to the store and buy another can in 5 minutes.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Pissingintowind posted:

Can you guys recommend me a brand of anti-seize? I'm about to put some new wheels on and I'd like for them not to get stuck on like the current ones are :downs:

Also, is PB Blaster the best stuff for taking out stubborn poo poo?

PB blaster works great. I'll use Seafoam if I run out of PB blaster. I use the spray on white lube (I think its called lithium grease) for wheel threads.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

RealKyleH posted:

PB blaster works great. I'll use Seafoam if I run out of PB blaster. I use the spray on white lube (I think its called lithium grease) for wheel threads.

Okay, so PB Blaster sounds good for working poo poo that is already stuck loose. It seems like the Deep Creep and Kroil are for the same purpose, so I'll just grab whatever they have at AutoZone.

When I was asking about anti-seize, I meant along the lines of lithium grease or something I can spray onto the wheel hub in advance, rather than something I can use when things are already stuck together. Is there a specific brand of lithium grease I should look for, or is it all the same?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Putting any of them on there will make your threads last a long time.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

hippynerd posted:

I've had a few heat guns. one was almost $100, another was $70, and my last one was $10 (HF). The only difference I've noticed is that that cheapo $10 unit only has 2 heat settings (not variable).

A lighter or soldering iron work in a pinch, but the heat gun always gets better results.

I totally agree with this. Durability seems to have little to do with initial price, though you can usually order replacement elements for the more expensive ones.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pissingintowind posted:

When I was asking about anti-seize, I meant along the lines of lithium grease or something I can spray onto the wheel hub in advance, rather than something I can use when things are already stuck together. Is there a specific brand of lithium grease I should look for, or is it all the same?
A thin smear of copper grease works well on the hub faces. If you want an easy way to apply it, Loctite do little "lipsticks" of their popular compounds.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

Loctite do little "lipsticks" of their popular compounds.

These are some of the best things ever. They can be tough to find, though. I first found these lipsticks a few years ago at Summit Racing's HQ... I got one for everyone I know that works on cars. I lost mine in my move a while back and last week I went out locally to find another.

After Autozone, Advance and a couple local stores didn't have it, I ended up getting one of the yucky jugs of Neversieze to use on lug nuts. It's not nearly as nice as the sticks.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but anti-seize on threads does gently caress up the reading of a torque wrench. There is a correction table out there, but you need to know the grade of steel or whatever metal they're using because you will overtorque them since anti-seize allows the threads to turn into each other with less friction.

I think that's how it goes.

Also, loctite anti seize in the gray bottle is good stuff. Copper grade is good too.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Who are these people that correctly torque wheels every time? :psyduck:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Yeah, I just chuck a 21MM on to the trusty 1/2" impact wrench and torque it till it stops.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
I just put everything I have into a 1/2 drive ratchet. And check it the next time the vehicle makes it near the toolbox. Never an issue, and the goddamn things are never break poo poo tight.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Chauncey posted:

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but anti-seize on threads does gently caress up the reading of a torque wrench. There is a correction table out there, but you need to know the grade of steel or whatever metal they're using because you will overtorque them since anti-seize allows the threads to turn into each other with less friction.

I think that's how it goes.

Also, loctite anti seize in the gray bottle is good stuff. Copper grade is good too.

This is true, but it's not a huge deal. You only need a tiny little bit of antisieze on lugs (or at least that's how I've always done it). You'll get some variance just from spraying Blaster on the lugs to unstick them, or rust, whatever.

e: My family has had the same bottle of grey loctite antisieze for a long time. It's awesome stuff. Absolutely required when fixing tractors and pretty much any farm equipment.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 15, 2009

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

RealKyleH posted:

Who are these people that correctly torque wheels every time? :psyduck:

My car has aluminum lugnuts, they feel like plastic in your hands. 85ft-lb of torque for each one. It says in the service manual explicitily "DO NOT USE WITH AN AIR WRENCH EVER" and immediately after has the correct procedure for removing sheared off lugnuts.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Korwen posted:

My car has aluminum lugnuts, they feel like plastic in your hands. 85ft-lb of torque for each one. It says in the service manual explicitily "DO NOT USE WITH AN AIR WRENCH EVER" and immediately after has the correct procedure for removing sheared off lugnuts.

Porsche? I remember running across a few 944s that had Al lugnuts.

I just installed one of these and I'm a little confused as to what conditions would activate it. Also, assuming that it's purging out the condensate can I just leave the tank charged up?

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 16, 2009

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Just wanted to clarify that I use the elbow torque wrench every time I take off and put off wheels. But there seem to be an abundance of lugnut-torquing peoples on this board, and well, it IS true that anti seize fucks up a reading, even if it doesn't much matter.

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot
I need to do the fluid on my differentials on my Subaru. Some idiot loctited the bolts and there's not enough room for a cheater or breaker under there when it's jacked up.

Any suggestions, short of an impact/air wrench, which I don't have?

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
box/combo wrench + hammer.

or socket drive with pipe slid over the handle for leverage.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Propane torch on the bolts for long enough will goo the loctite and allow the bolts to come out.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Kynetx posted:

Yeah, I just chuck a 21MM on to the trusty 1/2" impact wrench and torque it till it stops.
I stand on the ratchet handle to torque lugnuts. It's a foot long and I weigh 130 pounds, so that's about right, innit? My cheap clicky torque wrench seems to agree, anyway. (I drive old Fords, so the spec is 100 ft-lb.)

hippynerd posted:

box/combo wrench + hammer.
Seconding this. A three-pound drilling hammer is more useful than you'd think. Harbor Freight has 'em for :10bux:. But definitely use a box-end wrench, don't use a ratchet 'til it's loose. My 1/2" Craftsman ratchet makes funny noises, and my 3/8" only catches about half the time now. I really need to take them to the store and get them swapped out/get repair kits.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

An air belt sander. Really Harbor Freight? What could you ever need this for?

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Delivery McGee posted:

I stand on the ratchet handle to torque lugnuts. It's a foot long and I weigh 130 pounds, so that's about right, innit? My cheap clicky torque wrench seems to agree, anyway. (I drive old Fords, so the spec is 100 ft-lb.)

Seconding this. A three-pound drilling hammer is more useful than you'd think. Harbor Freight has 'em for :10bux:. But definitely use a box-end wrench, don't use a ratchet 'til it's loose. My 1/2" Craftsman ratchet makes funny noises, and my 3/8" only catches about half the time now. I really need to take them to the store and get them swapped out/get repair kits.

HF has a 4 lb drilling hammer, too. I used it for basically the same purpose. No room to get anything useful behind a brake caliper bracket. A nice concussive slap breaks rust or loctite with the quickness.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Any recommendations for a 3/8 air ratchet? My HF one sticks from time to time and I'm starting to get irritated with it. It's a tool I get a lot of use out of. Hell, I'm fixing a couch and it was handy for that, if you can believe it.

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Kynetx posted:

Any recommendations for a 3/8 air ratchet? My HF one sticks from time to time and I'm starting to get irritated with it. It's a tool I get a lot of use out of. Hell, I'm fixing a couch and it was handy for that, if you can believe it.

I'm happy with my C-H one. It's the next step up from HF in the progression of Chinese air tools. It's pretty much a linear progression in terms of price. Pay more, get more. The C-H is a decent compromise in the light duty use that I require of it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

RealKyleH posted:

An air belt sander. Really Harbor Freight? What could you ever need this for?
I'm sure it comes in really handy for removing VINs and engine serials from those hard-to-reach spots.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

grover posted:

I'm sure it comes in really handy for removing VINs and engine serials from those hard-to-reach spots.

That's what dremels are for.

Kynetx posted:

I am sure you know this if its getting unstuck but just in case, WD40 is a cure all for air tools. Especially sticky air ratchets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

I am sure you know this if its getting unstuck but just in case, WD40 is a cure all for air tools. Especially sticky air ratchets.

Wow, I never would have thought of this. So in the end, moisture is the problem? I've been somewhat liberal with the air tool oil lately hoping that it would fix the problem.