Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK
Thought I'd pop in to say I got IXXI's Elect Darkness this week and I'm loving it. It's a bit more aggressive than their older stuff and I'd say the tracks are more consistantly good as well.

Also got the new Ash Pool single Saturn's Slave in the post today - on a nice little blue 7". The second track has this awesome, out-of tune "boinging" effect on the guitars (whatever that's called) which I'm liking. I recommend anything by Ash Pool though, if you haven't checked them out before.

Also, I reeeeally want to know: has anyone heard Hiems' Worship or Die? I like Cold Void Journey a lot and the one track from Worship or Die on their myspace sounds fantastic, but I have a sneaking suspision they've done a "Disiplin" and gone all mainstream/pop-y :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Bought a De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas reissue on vinyl today. There are very few moments where I like being in Germany and this is one of them.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

HorrorJunkie posted:

They explain some of their thinking in this Invisible Oranges Interview which is a pretty good read. It also has a full song from their new album.

FE: I just linked to the main page (should be the first thing) since each post doesn't have an individual url

Thanks for that, I would not likely have run into it otherwise.

It also confirmed pretty much all I thought (and said in my previous post) of their tenets.

Aaron Weaver posted:

We're interested in deep ecology. I think that people for the past three, four hundred years in the Western world perceive the natural world just as a machine, as something that can be understood in scientific processes. You look at a forest not as a place of power or spiritual renewal or a place that has its own consciousness, but see it instead as a tree farm. Or you look at an animal [not] as a being that should be respected, but you see it as a protein that can be put into a factory to be caught into a machine. That attitude is the source of so much intense sorrow. I think that kills your soul inside. That's the sadness that we're expressing.

fake edit: There is someone in the comments to that interview who aligns pretty much with the dogmatic black metal crowd that is anti-WITTR here. I'll happily let both sleeping dogs lie.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Any Gris fans should check out Austere, the Australian one. Withering Illusions And Desolation is nice and depressing.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Dyna Soar posted:

The Amesoeurs full lenght is out and it's brilliant. I can hear a lot of The Cure in the guitar sound. I'm sure most of you will hate it though :)

It is brilliant! Although there's hardly any black metal tunes on the record, the album is beautiful.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Any Gris fans should check out Austere, the Australian one. Withering Illusions And Desolation is nice and depressing.

I have To Lay Like Old Ashes, and I really love it but it sounds like the guy's vocals consist of yelling "wooooooooo!!" a lot. I can barely detect a tinge of harshness in them sometimes, but it mostly just sounds like regular yelling.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Dyna Soar posted:

I can hear a lot of The Cure in the guitar sound. I'm sure most of you will hate it though :)

Sentence 1 is why sentence 2 is right. The Cure is to black metal what NWA is to world music.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Morbid Florist posted:

Sentence 1 is why sentence 2 is right. The Cure is to black metal what NWA is to world music.

I hear a lot of tribal influences in NWA.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

Nah, Neige pulls it off. You're not the final authority in all things black metal btw, so stop acting like it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The dude's name is Snow.

You know who else used the moniker?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Dyna Soar posted:

Nah, Neige pulls it off. You're not the final authority in all things black metal btw, so stop acting like it.

If you can't handle contrary opinion don't throw something out in public.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

If you can't handle contrary opinion don't throw something out in public.

How about you listen to the album and then come back and post your precious opinion?

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Why do you care? Amesoeurs is definitely not Black Metal.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mordekai posted:

Why do you care? Amesoeurs is definitely not Black Metal.

The new album has songs that most definitely are :)

Not that being or not being black metal would make it any better or worse. It's just that you guys don't really get to decide whats black metal and whats not. If a dude like Neige who's been making quality "real" black metal for a long time wants to mix it up with some Cure influences, you guys should at least listen to it before saying what it is or is not.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 16, 2009

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

The new album has songs that most definitely are :)

Correction. One black metal song. That doesn't make Amesoeurs a black metal band.

Hint:
Bands with female lead vocals are not BM.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mordekai posted:

Hint:

please tell me where all this info is from looks like i didnt get the memo

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

please tell me where all this info is from looks like i didnt get the memo

Give me an example wich proves me wrong then. And make it a good band if you can.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Mordekai posted:

Hint:

Darkestrah

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mordekai posted:

Give me an example wich proves me wrong then. And make it a good band if you can.

Why do I need to prove some retarded rule you just pulled out of your rear end wrong? There's no reason black metal can't have female lead vocals.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Ok, sorry. Female lead vocals do not belong in a good black metal band. If you can prove me wrong kudos to you.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mordekai posted:

Ok, sorry. Female lead vocals do not belong in a good black metal band. If you can prove me wrong kudos to you.

Well, this is kind of subjective, but

cryme posted:

Darkestrah

Also Gallhammer. Also there's this album Jarboe of Swans fame made with Byla that's basically black metal without drums.

I actually wonder why there aren't more bm bands with female lead vocals. It's a lot more common in other subgenres of metal.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 16, 2009

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

Mordekai posted:

Haha, this is the most ridiculously out-dated, sexist thing I've heard in ages.

Anyone can sit there and say: well, prove me wrong and I'll believe you. But no-one even needs to give you a list of good black metal bands with female lead vocals to be prove you wrong (surprise, surprise there aren't exactly that many. Tymah/Tuman is only one I can think of and they aren't very exceptional) because even if there isn't a single good bm band with female vocals, there is potential for one to exist. That's the point.

In other words, if I really wanted to (and if I had the talent) I could join a black metal band tomorrow and start doing vocals for them. If the band produced good, high quality black metal and just happened to have me as a vocalist instead of a guy, who the gently caress is there to say that it's not black metal?

edit: if you're trolling, Mordekai, just ignore this. I kind of hope you are because you're only poster in phiz who has compatible taste with me and it would suck if you were a biggot.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Dyna Soar posted:

How about you listen to the album and then come back and post your precious opinion?

Okay, here's an opinion from someone who's heard the latest from both Amesoeurs and Alcest; neither are black metal, and neither are very appealing. Maybe they're groundbreaking releases in the shoegaze community, but this is the black metal community and we don't like them. So, as usual, I agree with Morbid Florist.

Rain Temple posted:

In other words, if I really wanted to (and if I had the talent) I could join a black metal band tomorrow and start doing vocals for them. If the band produced good, high quality black metal and just happened to have me as a vocalist instead of a guy, who the gently caress is there to say that it's not black metal?

Agreed; I don't give two shits what gender the vocalist--or anyone else in the band--is; all that matters is the quality of the music.

I will, however, echo that there aren't really any good female-fronted black metal bands. And yes, Dyna Soar, I know about Gallhammer and Darkestrah.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
I can through Sigh and Behemoth's Grom into that...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The chick from Holy Moses could probably do BM. In fact that'd probably rule.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I listened to the amoesaurus album to hear what all the fuzz is about and I don't really get it because neither the post punk or the black metal elements sound particularly good

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
the new archgoat album is killer. just got the LP in the mail today. :)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Razor posted:

Okay, here's an opinion from someone who's heard the latest from both Amesoeurs and Alcest; neither are black metal, and neither are very appealing.

You're the first one to mention Alcest. Also I never said Amesoeurs were exclusively black metal, just that they have a few black metal songs and use elements of it. But, since you listened to it you're free not to like it. I knew most of you wouldn't.

Razor posted:

Maybe they're groundbreaking releases in the shoegaze community, but this is the black metal community and we don't like them.

That's the kind of group mentality I wouldn't expect from a fan of a style of music thats mostly about being unique little snowflakes.

Razor posted:

I will, however, echo that there aren't really any good female-fronted black metal bands. And yes, Dyna Soar, I know about Gallhammer and Darkestrah.

Entirely subjective. Your opinion is as good as anyone elses.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
i have really good taste in black metal and i happen to like Amesoeurs. Do i like Amesoeurs for the same reasons i like Blasphemy or Sarcofago? No. Are they black metal? No. Their music isn't lovely but they dont belong in the same category as black metal nor do they belong in this thread.

and about the female fronted BM bands.. all are really lovely. :\

Drudkh fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 17, 2009

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Amesoeurs have BM elements. Besides, can't you people enjoy music that isn't black metal? expand your tastes :)

I reckon its a pretty average album anyway, not very memorable songs but decent as a whole.

Also, bm bands with female fronted vocals are BM, time to stop being sexist and elitist.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

So is Darkestrah's The Great Silk Road really a bad album for you guys?

(I remember a fair bit of posts about it)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Svartsyn's Tormentor is pretty sweet.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Kaiho posted:

So is Darkestrah's The Great Silk Road really a bad album for you guys?

(I remember a fair bit of posts about it)

Yeah, it was bland and uninteresting.

As for female vocals, Dana Duffey always did a good job in Mythic and the vocals are fine in Demonic Christ.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 17, 2009

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star

Cold Day posted:

Amesoeurs have BM elements. Besides, can't you people enjoy music that isn't black metal? expand your tastes :)

I reckon its a pretty average album anyway, not very memorable songs but decent as a whole.

I feel the same way which is really disappointing since I love the first EP and pretty much everything else Neige has done. Eh maybe it will grow on me.

Can anyone recommend any other bands that mix black metal with other genres like Neige's stuff and Lifelover?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

I feel the same way which is really disappointing since I love the first EP and pretty much everything else Neige has done. Eh maybe it will grow on me.

Can anyone recommend any other bands that mix black metal with other genres like Neige's stuff and Lifelover?

New Solstafir, called Köld is what you're looking for.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
someone needs to rerelease the albums of Grand Belial's Key on vinyl. Im sick of not being able to find the original LPs. anyone a fan of Judeobeast Assassination?

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
New Beherit album April 9th. Discuss.

Also good female fronted bands I didn't see mentioned:
Be Persecuted
Lucifugum

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden

Clothes Optional posted:

Also good female fronted bands I didn't see mentioned:
Be Persecuted
Lucifugum

i expect the new Beherit to be more along the lines of Electric Doom Synthesis..

i would welcome another The Oath of Black Blood or drawning dawn the moon but i doubt Holocausto will go that way.

Either way im def. curious to hear the new Beherit album. Perhaps.. it may be good.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Clothes Optional posted:

Lucifugum

Anyone mentioning Lucifugum who isn't talking about their early material (mostly the demos) is usually laughed at, and for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Clothes Optional posted:

This will be horrible. There's no way in hell Holocausto will be able to make a Beherit album 15 years after.