Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How hard is it to reseal a window on a volvo 240 wagon? My rear hatch window came loose from my subwoofer so i need to reattach it :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'm so friggin' mad. I just wasted an entire day!

I bought a used Iceman cold air intake for my car. They were the best intakes made for my car. However, they've been out of business for years so a used one is hard to come by. Iceman intakes are made out of plastic as opposed to aluminum because metals conduct more heat. Anyways, the original intake color was yellow and the previous owner decided to pain over it with blue. My car is red, so I want to paint it red.

I woke up today and took a trip to AutoZone. Bought a 60 grit sandpaper block, a 320 grit sandpaper block, some paint thinner, some plastic tacking agent spray and some heat resistant red paint. So, I sanded down the intake, went over it with the finer sandpaper to smooth it out and wiped off a good amount of dirt and loose blue paint with the paint thinner. I took the smallest section of the intake outside to hit it up with the tacking agent and the paint to see how it looks.

So, I sprayed on a couple layers of the plastic tacking agent so the paint will stick to the plastic intake. Then I sprayed it with the paint. I noticed that the paint wasn't painting over the intake, but more like it was applying a red metallic effect to the existing yellow and blue color. Then I read the bottle and it said it was for applying a red metallic finish over an existing metal surface! I'm retarded. I was standing in AutoZone for like 20 minutes reading the back of spray cans. Guess I missed that part.

Now I need to go back tomorrow and grab some more paint. What kind of paint do I need to finish the job correctly? I think what I need is the high temp engine enamel Dupli-Color paint, but I'm not sure now. What do you guys think?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Where is the idle screw on a 1984 4 cylinder Nissan Pickup?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm so friggin' mad. I just wasted an entire day!

I bought a used Iceman cold air intake for my car. They were the best intakes made for my car. However, they've been out of business for years so a used one is hard to come by. Iceman intakes are made out of plastic as opposed to aluminum because metals conduct more heat. Anyways, the original intake color was yellow and the previous owner decided to pain over it with blue. My car is red, so I want to paint it red.

I woke up today and took a trip to AutoZone. Bought a 60 grit sandpaper block, a 320 grit sandpaper block, some paint thinner, some plastic tacking agent spray and some heat resistant red paint. So, I sanded down the intake, went over it with the finer sandpaper to smooth it out and wiped off a good amount of dirt and loose blue paint with the paint thinner. I took the smallest section of the intake outside to hit it up with the tacking agent and the paint to see how it looks.

So, I sprayed on a couple layers of the plastic tacking agent so the paint will stick to the plastic intake. Then I sprayed it with the paint. I noticed that the paint wasn't painting over the intake, but more like it was applying a red metallic effect to the existing yellow and blue color. Then I read the bottle and it said it was for applying a red metallic finish over an existing metal surface! I'm retarded. I was standing in AutoZone for like 20 minutes reading the back of spray cans. Guess I missed that part.

Now I need to go back tomorrow and grab some more paint. What kind of paint do I need to finish the job correctly? I think what I need is the high temp engine enamel Dupli-Color paint, but I'm not sure now. What do you guys think?

I'm not so hot on the cosmetic thing, but I do want to ask why you would be considering hi temp paint on a cold air intake? What sort of external temperatures would you expect to see on its surface?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'm not too mechanically inclined, so I was just going by the instructions the previous owner gave me in terms of painting it. On second thought, I guess a high temp paint might not be necessary at all. I'm going to head back to AutoZone tomorrow to grab some more Dupli-Color paint. Should I just grab the break caliper paint or what? I decided to keep the red metallic effect paint I bought by mistake to go over the red paint I'm going to buy tomorrow because I like how it looks. So it's going to be intake --> Dupli-Color Adhesion Promotor --> red Dupli-Color paint of some kind ???? --> red Dupli-Color Metalcast

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I went to go bleed my brakes and clutch the other day with my spanking new Motive Bleeder. I start on the rear-right and it works like a champ. Quick and easy bleed. I get to the rear-left, and find my bleed screw valve had been partially stripped and was frozen to the caliper. I went ahead and finished bleeding the rest of the system, but how the hell do I extract a brass bleed valve that's both stripped and frozen to the caliper? I imagine the answer involves heat and vice-grips. Also, where do I find a bleed valve for a 2000 VW Golf TDI? I have failed at Google.

Choada Boy
Mar 3, 2001

Gomi is my homie
Looking to buy a SUV, looked into the 09 Hummer H3 and at a local dealership here in Tampa and the cash rebate on it is around $9,500! I don't mind the gas mileage it gets since I don't travel far but with $3k in my pocket to put down, plus the rebate on a truck with a MSRP of $36,705 with plenty of options doesn't sound bad.

How bad of a shape is Hummer right now? Since GM is thinking twice about the brand do I have more bargaining power at the dealership or is it just another day on the lot?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The H3 sucks.

Choada Boy
Mar 3, 2001

Gomi is my homie

nm posted:

The H3 sucks.

:waycool: Care to elaborate a little?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I have poor boys SR2.5, do I need to use a finer polish before applying Tech Wax? I need to get my new 2002 WRX inspected and it has a bunch of baby scratches in it that I bet I could get out with a few hours holding my porter cable.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 18, 2009

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Choada Boy posted:

:waycool: Care to elaborate a little?
It is in no way as good as the competition and costs too much.
A 4-door wrangler with a roof that isn't as capable costing much more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm not too mechanically inclined, so I was just going by the instructions the previous owner gave me in terms of painting it. On second thought, I guess a high temp paint might not be necessary at all. I'm going to head back to AutoZone tomorrow to grab some more Dupli-Color paint. Should I just grab the break caliper paint or what? I decided to keep the red metallic effect paint I bought by mistake to go over the red paint I'm going to buy tomorrow because I like how it looks. So it's going to be intake --> Dupli-Color Adhesion Promotor --> red Dupli-Color paint of some kind ???? --> red Dupli-Color Metalcast

If it's plastic I would give vinyl dye a shot first.

I'll be honest, the metal vs plastic thing doesn't mean a goddamn bit of difference unless your car is highly tuned. You would have much better luck with a metal intake that is heat wrapped, if you're really worried about intake temps (and in the end you're talking 0.01 HP difference).

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4L

My steering fluid was all foamy today.

Today, right after starting the car, we heard a sort of groaning sound when turning the wheel. We'd heard the sound before, and that time it turned out that the PS dipstick came out dry, so I figured this time was the same. However, when I pulled the dipstick after a short trip, it wasn't dry. It was covered in foam! The reservoir was all foamy on top as well. A bit later, I checked it again, and the foam and sound were both gone.

My question is, what is causing the sound and the foamy fluid? Is it just everything being cold and starting the car and turning it?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

GoblinBomb posted:

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4L

My steering fluid was all foamy today.

Today, right after starting the car, we heard a sort of groaning sound when turning the wheel. We'd heard the sound before, and that time it turned out that the PS dipstick came out dry, so I figured this time was the same. However, when I pulled the dipstick after a short trip, it wasn't dry. It was covered in foam! The reservoir was all foamy on top as well. A bit later, I checked it again, and the foam and sound were both gone.

My question is, what is causing the sound and the foamy fluid? Is it just everything being cold and starting the car and turning it?

Sounds like you may have run your pump dry and when you added the new fluid, the pump started mixing air into the new fluid. The procedure I've always used for bleeding a PS system is to fill the reservoir to max, start the car, then turn the steering wheel lock to lock for a while (I dunno, a few minutes or so), then refill as required.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

TheFrailNinja posted:

So my truck makes a nasty sound when I get up to about 3k rpm and higher, and it worries me. It sounds like if you say "inginginginginginginginging" as fast as you can. It sounds like hard objects vibrating on a hard surface. The truck is a 95 nissan hardbody, 2.4 4x4, as if you don't all already know.

So how much poo poo could this cause in the future? So far, it's just a noise, but the truck has 179k miles, and it's the only vehicle I have.

bumping this from 4 pages back

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's probably a heatshield that's loose. Noisy, but won't cause any damage.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've got an '02 Honda Civic SI (Vtech-i).
Yesterday, I was driving home after a being out in the sun, and the car would not let the RPM's go over 4k. The normal red line limiter kicks on at just over 7200 or so. Generally I do not take the car above 5k except on rare occasion. When It hit 4k though, it felt as if I was hitting the RMP limiter. The needle would bounce. This is the first time it has happened like this. While driving on the Highway, I tried to shut the car off, then back on while driving to see if it would clear. It did not. I stopped at a friends house for about an hour, started it back up and now everything appears fine. I've driven about 60 miles since this happened.

The car has 110k miles on it, which is when the timing belt etc needs to be replaced (Planning to get the scheduled maintenance done real soon). The engine light has been on, when I checked the codes at AutoZone it points to either the 2nd O2 sensor behind the cat, or a clogged cat. The light has been on for at least 8 months.. I'm bad yes.

So 2 questions. If this does not happen again, can I assume it was a fluke? Precursor to more problems? The other issue, I'm going to be going to Las Vegas (1000 miles round trip) in 2 weeks, and planned to drive my car. Should I get the 110k maintenance taken care of before, or after the trip? I was hoping after would be ok?

Thanks!

gce
Oct 11, 2004
car: 2001 mitsubishi mirage

miles: 87,000

issue: the other day we had a super cold night and my car wouldn't start the next day. i jumped it and drove it around for the day. the next day, it started right up but i drove it very little, less than 2 miles. since then, i've noticed that the car will start on its own if i drove it a decent amount the day before. but if i only drive it a short distance, it won't start the next day.

my guess is that the battery is just shot. if it was the alternator, then i imagine that it would need to be jumped on each start, right?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

gce posted:

car: 2001 mitsubishi mirage

miles: 87,000

issue: the other day we had a super cold night and my car wouldn't start the next day. i jumped it and drove it around for the day. the next day, it started right up but i drove it very little, less than 2 miles. since then, i've noticed that the car will start on its own if i drove it a decent amount the day before. but if i only drive it a short distance, it won't start the next day.

my guess is that the battery is just shot. if it was the alternator, then i imagine that it would need to be jumped on each start, right?

This is normal. The battery isn't dead yet but is at reduced capacity most likely due to age and the cold. Your alternator charges the battery, if it doesn't have time to do that because you're not driving it enough after sucking down a bunch of power to start the car. It might also help cleaning the terminals if they're pretty corroded.

gce
Oct 11, 2004
thanks. so with the warmer weather coming, should i go ahead and replace the battery now? or should i just wait for it to crap out?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

gce posted:

thanks. so with the warmer weather coming, should i go ahead and replace the battery now? or should i just wait for it to crap out?

Eh that's a call of how cheap you wanna be. As long as you drive the car you'll probably be ok for a few more months if its starting to warm up. If you drive the car a short distance just let it idle a minute or so with the radio and A/C off and it will recharge it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Does this look like a good project car: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1076715312.html

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
How much do you know about rotaries and what do you wanna do with it?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

is an optima yellow top the battery for me if i am someone who constantly kills batteries via toys in the car when the car isn't running (i have left my car pc running over night atleast a dozen times).

I don't care about getting a jump (usually i can just roll down the hill and pop start it) but i don't want to keep toasting batteries by running them dead.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Why not turn everything off? You could really kill the life of a battery doing that even if it was otherwise suitable for what you want to do. That said yes an Optima may be better for that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, check your terminals and the cables. The clamps on my old concorde were getting warped and dirty and had trouble making a solid connection to the battery. I had this same problem on cold days. I'd have to pop the hood and re-clamp them to get it to start. I finally cleaned the crap out of them one day and spent some time re-shaping them and it helped out a ton. I probably should have replaced them all together though.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Also if youre asking this question you may not be aware that che easiers and cheapest way to clean terminals is to get the little terminal cleaning tool that you can buy at habor freight/autozone for about $1.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
loving kids.

Best way to remove my new pinstriping? Insurance has been contacted. As dirty as the car is, I suspect it may come off with a wash, surface prep is everything. But if it doesn't, guidance would be appreciated.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
2005 Ford Explorer V6

I've been itching for the digital climate control, since I like it way different then my wife during the summer. I currently have the analog knobs, does anyone know if the digital climate control unit is a straight swap over wiring wise, or is there different harasses and such that would make this a pain in the rear end?

thanks

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Gnomad posted:

loving kids.

Best way to remove my new pinstriping? Insurance has been contacted. As dirty as the car is, I suspect it may come off with a wash, surface prep is everything. But if it doesn't, guidance would be appreciated.

If it has a poo poo bond you may get a lot of it off with a claybar. What doesnt will come off with 1500->2000 grit wet sanding followed by polishing and then your favorite wax/sealant. Good news is it should look good as new when youre done. Bad news is the proper polishing compounds, sandpaper and buffer will run you ~$200

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

loving kids.

Same thing happened to my girlfriends hood. Came off with really no problem with a polishing compound. Don't bother with your insurance, try nu-finish or some 3m compound. Obviously clean off the dirt first with soap and water. I pretty much guarantee it'll come off if the paint is fresh, you won't need to sand or use an orbital buffer or anything. Give it a nice wax after polishing it. She thought she was going to have to buy a new hood and was pretty pissed off. 10 dollar fix.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My brother got me new headlights for my birthday last year, long story short company he bought it from was flaky so it took several months for them to ship it out.

The headlights also came with a grill to match, but for some retarded reason, they decided not to include clips to let me put it in.

I have a '95 Corolla DX that is fitted with What I believe are '97 headlights.

I took a picture with my phone to show the clip that's on the headlight, and the clip that on the grill:

On the left is the clip that is on the grill, right is what is on the headlight. Anyone know where I can purchase the clip to fit this? I went to 6 shops around me and nobody knew where I could get one (one guy referred me to a non-existent shop that had everything I would need) and told me to go to a junkyard.

Here's another shot with the grill lined up:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Gnomad posted:

loving kids.

Try acetone (nail polish remover) too.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Couldn't that damage the paint?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

deong posted:

I've got an '02 Honda Civic SI (Vtech-i).
Yesterday, I was driving home after a being out in the sun, and the car would not let the RPM's go over 4k. The normal red line limiter kicks on at just over 7200 or so. Generally I do not take the car above 5k except on rare occasion. When It hit 4k though, it felt as if I was hitting the RMP limiter. The needle would bounce. This is the first time it has happened like this. While driving on the Highway, I tried to shut the car off, then back on while driving to see if it would clear. It did not. I stopped at a friends house for about an hour, started it back up and now everything appears fine. I've driven about 60 miles since this happened.

The car has 110k miles on it, which is when the timing belt etc needs to be replaced (Planning to get the scheduled maintenance done real soon). The engine light has been on, when I checked the codes at AutoZone it points to either the 2nd O2 sensor behind the cat, or a clogged cat. The light has been on for at least 8 months.. I'm bad yes.

So 2 questions. If this does not happen again, can I assume it was a fluke? Precursor to more problems? The other issue, I'm going to be going to Las Vegas (1000 miles round trip) in 2 weeks, and planned to drive my car. Should I get the 110k maintenance taken care of before, or after the trip? I was hoping after would be ok?

Thanks!

what you've described is your car going into limp mode. this is most commonly a fuel injection issue, or the fuel itself. does the last generation Si only take premium? not trying to insinuate that you're dumb or anything, i promise, but perhaps you accidentally put in 87 octane the last time you refueled? this would put the engine in limp mode the second you pulled out of the gas station.

additionally, check to make sure your O2 sensor to the cat didn't fall out -- i've heard of it happening (with age, of course.) or, just replace the sensor for something like $80.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Ashex posted:

My brother got me new headlights for my birthday last year, long story short company he bought it from was flaky so it took several months for them to ship it out.

The headlights also came with a grill to match, but for some retarded reason, they decided not to include clips to let me put it in.

I have a '95 Corolla DX that is fitted with What I believe are '97 headlights.

So you're looking for a retainer from the headlamp to the grille on a 97 corolla?Go to a toyota parts counter, show them the picture, they should be able to order some clips for you. Shouldn't be more than a few dollars. I'll try to remember tomorrow and I'll get some part numbers for you so they know what to order.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My manual says to use 75W90 GL-4 in the gearbox. I went to Walmart and the stuff is $40/jug. 80W90 is like $12/jug.

Why is it so expensive? Being the high roller I am I bought the specified type of oil, but can I use 80W90? What kind of leeway do I have when it comes to gearbox oil?

EDIT: OK the 75W90 was synthetic while the 80W90 may not have been, but still......

EDIT 2: They didn't really have much of a selection for MT oil.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 18, 2009

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

enojy posted:

what you've described is your car going into limp mode. this is most commonly a fuel injection issue, or the fuel itself. does the last generation Si only take premium? not trying to insinuate that you're dumb or anything, i promise, but perhaps you accidentally put in 87 octane the last time you refueled? this would put the engine in limp mode the second you pulled out of the gas station.

additionally, check to make sure your O2 sensor to the cat didn't fall out -- i've heard of it happening (with age, of course.) or, just replace the sensor for something like $80.

Thanks. My generation SI takes 87 octane according to the manual, so that's what she's gotten for her life. When I get gas, I mark it every time on my phone via http://mymilemarker.com/. So far I get between 28 and 32, with the occasional 40 on an all highway tank.

I'll check if the O2 Sensor has fallen out. It's been like that for so long, and I never flet issue (8 months or so) that I've kind of gotten to ignore it. I've pulled the codes every few months, and every time i get the same 2. P1298 and P0420. Not sure of how often, or how many times the 2 came up as I've never had them cleared.

I'll be looking into getting the car serviced, as Timing belt changes are too complex for me to want to tackle. And while Im at it I'll have that O2 checked.
Thanks.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

Throatwarbler posted:

75W90

I ran into the same problem when refilling my 98 Corolla's transmission.

Do you have a Napa or other car part store near by? My local store had a much better selection, and I was able to find some non-synthetic Valvoline 75W90 for $10 or so a jug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Are caliper slide-pin boots necessary? I bought a reman. caliper for my Jeep Cherokee and there was no way in hell the pins would fit inside the rubber/plastic boots, so I took them out. My friend's dad (who's been a Ford mechanic for 40+ years) told me they weren't necessary. Are they there just to prevent 'welding' incase the grease goes away?

• Locked thread