Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Kynetx posted:

Wow, I never would have thought of this. So in the end, moisture is the problem? I've been somewhat liberal with the air tool oil lately hoping that it would fix the problem.

I dont know. All I know is WD40 or kerosene is how you fix air tools except maybe impact guns which you take apart and clean out cause they get old oil and poo poo in them. Done it many times on my cheapies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

RealKyleH posted:

An air belt sander. Really Harbor Freight? What could you ever need this for?

These are a savior for bodywork.
I suppose you could use an electric one, but air tools are far cooler.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
But its only like an inch wide?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

RealKyleH posted:

They're good for shaping and sharpening knives.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, dumb fuckin' question time - I am at the point of auto repair experience that I would maybe like a modest air tool setup, I can mainly see use for the ratchet and impact gun side of things.

What all do I need - compressor, tank, lines and fittings?

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Jonny 290 posted:

So, dumb fuckin' question time - I am at the point of auto repair experience that I would maybe like a modest air tool setup, I can mainly see use for the ratchet and impact gun side of things.

What all do I need - compressor, tank, lines and fittings?

Minimums:
Compressor (includes tank)
Line
Tools

You'll need fittings if your compressor tank outlet, line, and/or air tools are not using the same size.

That's about it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

RealKyleH posted:

But its only like an inch wide?

It's handy when you're working in corners and edges and such, both removing paint and working with welds/filler, etc.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

RealKyleH posted:

There are dozens of specialty body work tools that you will never know are useful until you see them in use. I used an air sander much like the one in the picture pretty extensively when shaping this corner.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Now I kinda want one...

...and its only $15...

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Will you guys check your HF ads and see if you can find this on sale locally? I cleaned up and threw away all the current local ads. Hoping to pick it for around $140 or 150 if I can.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42211

I want to do a serious detail on my WRX, it has a bunch of scratches that between cleay, SR2.5 and SR1 will come out and leave this thing lookin' pretty.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Check your mailbox guys, I just got a 15% off a single item coupon--not the best ever but good for a big item or something.

Edit: at HF of course.

ChiliMac fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 16, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Was it an email or in their flyer?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kynetx posted:

I just installed one of these and I'm a little confused as to what conditions would activate it. Also, assuming that it's purging out the condensate can I just leave the tank charged up?

Whenever your compressor hits the set pressure (when it stops running), it send a pules of air through a piece of tubing, and that discharges the air in the line to make the motor start easier. When that happens, if you have the HF Autodrain hooked up correctly, it will sense the pulse of air, and drain the tank for a second or so. It'll do it when the motor fires, and when it stops.

http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/
Read here.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 17, 2009

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Where can I buy wheel acid without waiting for shipping? I don't think Autozone/NAPA/Pep Boys has it...

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

RealKyleH posted:

Was it an email or in their flyer?

Flyer, sorry.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Can you scan it for me? I know you're not supposed to but they have the thing I want on sale for $189 from $199 so after the coupon it'd be $161 + tax.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

RealKyleH posted:

I am sure you know this if its getting unstuck but just in case, WD40 is a cure all for air tools. Especially sticky air ratchets.

I gotta give you props on this one cause it really did the trick. Fucker works like a tool worth 20 dollars or more. Thanks! I don't know what it did that proper tool oil didn't.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Kynetx posted:

I gotta give you props on this one cause it really did the trick. Fucker works like a tool worth 20 dollars or more. Thanks! I don't know what it did that proper tool oil didn't.

This thread is redundant because my grandfather taught me that any real man only ever needs two tools: duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.

vvv I think that corollary only applies to wives/girlfriends edit: dogs

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 17, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

fatman1683 posted:

This thread is redundant because my grandfather taught me that any real man only ever needs two tools: duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.

I've always heard that as, "If it moves, and shouldn't, hit it with a hammer until it stops moving. If it should move, and doesn't, hit it with a hammer until it starts moving."

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

RealKyleH posted:

Can you scan it for me? I know you're not supposed to but they have the thing I want on sale for $189 from $199 so after the coupon it'd be $161 + tax.

Compressor?

I'll try to scan when I get home from work--not sure if that will work for you or not though.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Nah I live in Florida and right now the oak trees are dumping TONS of pollen. I didn't even know it was possible. I can blow off my driveway and it will be completely covered with leaves/pollen within two days. This also makes my car look like poo poo so I want to get one of their covered on all sides portable garages, put it up in the back of my house, and enjoy having a nice beautiful car for more than 1 day.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42211

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

Kynetx posted:

Porsche? I remember running across a few 944s that had Al lugnuts.

Mine has them. I think all of the Porsches that came with Fuchs has aluminum lug nuts.

I've got a nylon-lined socket that doesn't scratch the hell out of them. And, yeah....no air tools. 3 cracked ones were in the glove box when I bought the car. I was told by the PO that the moron at the tire shop used an air ratchet and did that. He replaced the 3 that broke. I threw them ALL out and replaced all 20 on the car.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
Hit up the pawn shop last night and picked up an old metal Milwaukee Sawzall. For 30 bucks, tore it apart to clean it and its like new again. Go pawn shopping!

Looking at a small band saw there too, just need to find the parts and prices to make it functional.

PeaceFrog fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 18, 2009

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

Well I scanned it, but I took out the personal info they marked on it (e.g they had my name printed on it)--will it still work? I'm interested in knowing:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
IDK we'll see

Squishy Buddha
Jan 9, 2003

2/12/1980 Never Forget.
With the air tools, I finally broke down and decided that I was going to buy some. So I shopped around and found this set at lowes. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=35546-55451-LG-081&lpage=none

Being used to Harbor Freight quality tools, I was blown away at how nicely put together the whole package is, complete with impact sockets and all the fittings that you'll need to get started. Word of warning, though, it all comes in this pretty nice carrying case, but when the fittings on installed on the tools, they don't fit in there anymore.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Squishy Buddha posted:

Word of warning, though, it all comes in this pretty nice carrying case, but when the fittings on installed on the tools, they don't fit in there anymore.

Weird, it looks like there are slots cut out specifically for the fittings behind each tool.

Squishy Buddha
Jan 9, 2003

2/12/1980 Never Forget.

Uthor posted:

Weird, it looks like there are slots cut out specifically for the fittings behind each tool.

Yeah I dunno maybe I got an older version that was on the shelf or something but there isn't room for them in mine.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

ChiliMac posted:

Well I scanned it, but I took out the personal info they marked on it (e.g they had my name printed on it)--will it still work? I'm interested in knowing:

quote:

This coupon cannot be duplicated in any manner including photocopies and computer printouts

gently caress. :( I would love to use this coupon as well if it works :(

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

ASSTASTIC posted:

Yeah I noticed that too but hey, you never know the drone at the counter might just scan it and move on.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

ASSTASTIC posted:

I got mine today in the mail.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

If memory serves, the barcode is specific to each customer, kinda like the email coupons.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kynetx posted:

If memory serves, the barcode is specific to each customer, kinda like the email coupons.

Nope. Its certainly not. The barcode only has like 9 spots for numbers on it, and most of those are dedicated for making it a coupon. I know, because I get 2 catalogs, one at work under my boss' name, and one at home under my name. Same number and code. Thats why there's your personal info on the coupon, so they can track usage. I always just copy the coupon and white out the personal info before I copy it. No one has ever bitched.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

$30 at Harbor Freight!!

I don't care if it breaks easy. I just need it for one car.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
What is it?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

RealKyleH posted:

What is it?

It's an Air Sander. You use it to sand down Bondo into nice straight smooth lines.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Is it a vibrating sander or a belt sander? Link please.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

RealKyleH posted:

Is it a vibrating sander or a belt sander? Link please.

Vibrating.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91773

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

20% off at HF Coupon! Yaya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Kynetx posted:

20% off at HF Coupon! Yaya.

What? Where I only got a 10% emailed to me.