Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Kynetx posted:

20% off at HF Coupon! Yaya.

Whoah whoah whoah, can anyone use this?

If so, I've got some money to spend. Hook a brother up!

edit: Just checked my inbox, there she is!

Korwen fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

RealKyleH posted:

What? Where I only got a 10% emailed to me.

I see how you rate.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Kynetx posted:

I see how you rate.

Post 20% coupon. I need a garage for my WRX, its covered in green allergens. I want to work the magic of clay and swirl remover but there is no point if I don't have an unstable $200 harbor freight garage to put it in.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 20, 2009

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Post 20% coupon. I need a garage for my WRX, its covered in green allergens. I want to work the magic of clay and swirl remover but there is no point if I don't have an unstable $2000 harbor freight garage to put it in.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...99&keycode=0000

Does this work for you guys?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Korwen posted:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...99&keycode=0000

Does this work for you guys?

Ill let you know soon. It prints fine. gently caress them sending me 10%. I kinda wonder if its because I post all the 20% ones?

Current sales ads:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/wkend0323/usa_cpnsave.html
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/start.do

EDIT2: Sweet the normally $200 enclosure should only cost $151 after the coupon and sale.

EDIT 3: I may have figured out a little secret ;) If you figure this out DO NOT POST IT. These are host off site so hopefully google wont pick them up but if a bunch of people start using this they may change how its done. They dont run one every week but I'll know when they do now and will check each week for new coupons.

Thanks Korwen.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 20, 2009

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mine has a bar code that looks like one time use so I ain't posting it for you leeches, now do I want a Chinese welder, or a cherry picker? 20% off baby.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Here, leeches:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...56&keycode=0000

(customer number changed in the url so you can't steal meatpimp's hot deals)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 20, 2009

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
I hate you guys. Why can't we have a Harbor Freight in Canada?

Either that, or why can't Princess Auto have 20% off coupons.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Speaking of tools, have any of you seen this?
I was pretty intrigued by the idea. I know they have this sort of thing on industrial service vehicles, but on your car?

(btw I think he might be a Jeep ricer- I wasn't aware they made Rubicons with the 2.5L 4 cyl engine)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sgt Fox posted:

I hate you guys. Why can't we have a Harbor Freight in Canada?

Either that, or why can't Princess Auto have 20% off coupons.

Because princess auto has awesome sales all the time. They don't need coupons.

:colbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

daslog posted:

$30 at Harbor Freight!!

I don't care if it breaks easy. I just need it for one car.

I used a sander similar to this with the palm trigger and let me tell you, whoever thought putting a piece of hard, angular metal underneath your palm on a vibrating product was a good idea can go gently caress themselves. Your hands are going to hate you and you are going to need help opening jars or holding anything for a few days if you use this sander any length of time.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I used a sander similar to this with the palm trigger and let me tell you, whoever thought putting a piece of hard, angular metal underneath your palm on a vibrating product was a good idea can go gently caress themselves. Your hands are going to hate you and you are going to need help opening jars or holding anything for a few days if you use this sander any length of time.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=antivibration+gloves&Submit=Go
I stand by these and the awesome Oompa-Loompa hands they give you.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

this is the single greatest wrench I own. self adjusting and it's all mechanical, so no batteries to change unlike the black and decker wrench. It's a godsend for nuts and such that require a special tool, I'd say a good 2 out of 3 times it can take care of those things. It only cost me $5 a few years ago and still works perfect just like the day I bought it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Nice, it looks like the HF floor jacks are on sale, so with that coupon I could pick up a new one for a decent price. Looks like I'll have to make a stop by tomorrow.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Anyone recommend a good, cheap, compact table saw? Maybe 10" one?

Also, is this the "goon approved" car jack? http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=91039&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

Edit: I should read the first post :downs:

But isn't there a more expensive jack for like 190 or something?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a portable holder/organizer for screwdrivers or nutdrivers? My dad has all of his mixed togther in a box and it's a PITA to find the correct one. It's not a big problem, so I'd only be willing to drop $5 or so to fix it.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 20, 2009

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I stripped the poo poo out of one of my brake hose fasteners (11mm). How can I get this off?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jared592 posted:

Speaking of tools, have any of you seen this?
I was pretty intrigued by the idea. I know they have this sort of thing on industrial service vehicles, but on your car?

(btw I think he might be a Jeep ricer- I wasn't aware they made Rubicons with the 2.5L 4 cyl engine)

Onboard air is pretty standard equipment for rock crawlin' dudes - they use them for air tools, air lockers and also to air up tires when they get back on the highway after crawling at 10psi or whatever horrifically low pressure they run offroad. I want onboard air for my Blazer pretty bad, right after I get a winch and catalytic heaters built into the rear cargo bay.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

I stripped the poo poo out of one of my brake hose fasteners (11mm). How can I get this off?

vice grips, or try to file down some flat sides so you can grip a smaller wrench on it.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Stripped or rounded off?

Stripped, then yea what Korwen said + PB blaster then replace the fastener.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Welp, I'm officially done with Craftsman Tools. I'll keep the ones I have but I'm not buying any more. My compression tester apparently has hose that can't handle more than 150psi. Every single time I've used it the hoses have blown at that pressure. I don't like exploding tools.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Christ, that's awful. the M50 in my 325i is supposed to do over 200 PSI, that wouldn't be useful in the least bit.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Advent Horizon posted:

Welp, I'm officially done with Craftsman Tools. I'll keep the ones I have but I'm not buying any more. My compression tester apparently has hose that can't handle more than 150psi. Every single time I've used it the hoses have blown at that pressure. I don't like exploding tools.

I've noticed the quality declining pretty rapidly. The majority of mine and my familys tools are Craftsman, but the majority is old really old.
The newer hand tools seem to be still great quality.
The ratchets are becoming junk, but sockets and wrenches still hold their own in the mid-range of quality. The screwdrivers are still awesome as well, but mostly awesome out of convenience (beat the gently caress out of them, get new ones, repeat).

Actually their ratcheting wrenches are still awesome. I spent most of wednesday beating the poo poo out of a new 19mm ratcheting wrench and it was great.

I've abandoned them completely for any other moving/important tools though. Their jacks suck, most of their garden and yard stuff is junk now as well.

Edit: Speaking of cheap ratchets, if you want a cheap ratchet, Ktool has an amazing pushbutton ratchet that is astonishing for the price.

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=K-TOOL&ID=1434915&ref=GB
They're a little hard to find for some reason. We've had the same 3/8in for years and I have no idea where it came from. It's got that wonderful thumb ring for threading on bolts and such that used to be on craftsman ratchets long ago.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 21, 2009

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

All of the craftsman ratchets I've picked up in garage sales have the metal direction choosing lever, which I take to mean they're of better quality than the newer models. That having been said, I'm still on the e-bay hunt for a good 3/8" snap-on or SK 8" or so handle ratchet.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Christ, that's awful. the M50 in my 325i is supposed to do over 200 PSI, that wouldn't be useful in the least bit.

The good news for me is that both engines I'm responsible for have pressures around or below 140psi to indicate that they're in need of a refresh or rebuild. So blowing at 150 means the cylinders are still fine.

But I keep running out of hoses before I run out of cylinders to test. It's horrible. The hoses don't even have a pressure rating listed on them. The instruction manual only says not to do a wet test on a diesel engine, and the gauge goes well over 200psi.

I'm also severely limited on what tools I can buy. My only other easy option is Husky tools at the small Home Depot in town. There's a Snap-On guy and there *might* be a Mac Tools franchise in town, but both their websites won't tell me poo poo.

I don't have any real experience with the really high end tools, but it looks like I'm going to get to find out (if they're even available in my area).

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

My HF tester worked up to 175 without any trouble.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I doubt there's a HF within a thousand miles of me. And I'd prefer to buy higher quality stuff over higher quantity stuff anyway.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Used the 9999999 20% coupon today to buy this. Which is way cheaper online than in stores for some reason. It was 11.99 - 20% in the store. It did an AWESOME job of handling the bit of trouble I had with an oil filter.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I used one of those to muscle off the fuel filter from a Mercedes 167 only to realize that there is a set screw that I could have backed off and removed the filter with my hands.

Later it came in handy to remove the filter housing cover on my MS3 because some idiot at the dealership tightened the piss out of it.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran
Am I going to hate myself for spending even a pittance on a welder like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97717 ?

I know what duty cycle means, and know this is a weak-rear end welder, but all I'd be doing is making little brackets and welding 3/16" steel tubing and other small projects. I don't have a garage or a shop, so 220/240v is out of the question anyway. Worth it? (especially when the next 20% coupon comes - my last one expired, but I know another will come). If not, I can just stick to torch brazing, but welding seems like it would be a lot easier.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Stick welding sucks rear end and I commonly use more than that machine is rated for and oh dear god 10% duty cycle hahahahahahaha.

Also, read the thread there's a 20% active now.

Don't waste your money on that little box. Save your money get a used 110V MIG and a used argon bottle on craigslist. Gas shielded welding is just so much better.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Is there any air compressor worth buying at HF? Or is it better to stick to the more known brands?

It would be used for inflating tires, removing brake caliper pistons, and maybe one of these babies.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 21, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Pissingintowind posted:

Is there any air compressor worth buying at HF? Or is it better to stick to the more known brands?

HF depending on how much use you're getting out of it. This has also been covered in this thread a lot.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Pissingintowind posted:

It would be used for inflating tires, removing brake caliper pistons, and maybe one of these babies.

The first two things you list require pretty low air flow for a compressor, that impact wrench is a 22CFM beast that will be limited by basically anything less than a shop air system. What I'd do is get a cheap HF compressor and hook a spare tank into the line to keep psi up. You'll only get bursts at high CFM, but it will be a lot cheaper than a huge compressor.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ho ho, don't know if it was just the local HF store or what, but I went to get the 2 ton foldable shop crane (engine hoist), and not only did they accept the 20% coupon (thanks Korwen), they charged me the price for the 1 ton foldable shop crane. I thought it was just a mistake when the guy who fetched it from the back room wrote down the price on the sheet, but then it rang up on the register at that price. So I saved approximately $100 off what it would have cost online with shipping (got the 1-year replacement warranty, don't know if that was worth it or not but I figured I was saving enough with the unexpected price bonus that I could afford to waste the $20).

This is the Newark store for anyone in the Bay Area. The display model still showed the regular 2-ton price, so it wasn't on sale - don't know if someone just made a mistake entering the price in the system or what, but not complaining.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I figured you guys would like this guy's tool cart setup:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380892

EDIT:
And I found the perfect hammer:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Pro-tip: In a pinch, you can buy quality tools at the Sports Authority!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 22, 2009

Weissbier
Apr 8, 2007
good for the soul
I need a macpherson style spring compressor. Are there ones better than another or is a spring compressor a spring compressor?

I have much love for Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Manufacturing-MacPherson-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0007N201C

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot

RealKyleH posted:

Used the 9999999 20% coupon today to buy this. Which is way cheaper online than in stores for some reason. It was 11.99 - 20% in the store. It did an AWESOME job of handling the bit of trouble I had with an oil filter.

Sounds like you need one of these

I don't know why more people don't use them, they work really well.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Those oil filter vicegrips were perfect and at $10 locally $8 online probably can't be beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCune
Mar 25, 2003
"HAS VEGETABLE SALTY
Has anyone had experience with http://www.harryepstein.com ? They seem to have pretty decent prices on some SK hand tools, among others. I ordered a set of swivel/flex sockets, so we'll see how that goes.