Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastedBread
Sep 15, 2008
I don't really have a specific style I like too much over another, but my two favorite bands are Death Cab for Cutie and Muse by far. I think the vocals and lyrics from Death Cab get me more and the instrumentation especially from Muse is excellent.
Any suggestions on similarities to those two separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheel of Confusion
Aug 26, 2006
Sorry if I missed a similar post, but can someone recommend where to start for someone who would like to listen to hip-hop, but knows nothing about it? Thanks.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

ToastedBread posted:

I don't really have a specific style I like too much over another, but my two favorite bands are Death Cab for Cutie and Muse by far. I think the vocals and lyrics from Death Cab get me more and the instrumentation especially from Muse is excellent.
Any suggestions on similarities to those two separately?

I'll second the request for bands like Muse. I got hooked on this band in the last six months, and I'm hungry for more :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't find a better place to do this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLC6GN_DfGQ

that's a link to some dark psy trance. I know nothing about who did it or anything else, but I want to know some more stuff that's similar. It seems so hard to find dark psy trance that's simple and dark...

Yeah.. So any recommendations would be helpful :)

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

I've been listening to a Norwegian album called "Shimmering Minor" by Rolf Kristensen, a Norwegian guitarist (you can check it out on Spotify). I'm basically looking for more of that "soundscape ala. jazz" thing, almost a minimalistic approach with some nice melodies.

Anyone got anything good? Check the album out anyways, I think it's really superb.

Knightbus
Mar 20, 2006

Who wants to ride the Knightbus?
Violin cover/renditions of punk, metal, hardcore (not techno) and the likes; does anyone know any full records, albums, bands, artists, etc that do this? I've only ever heard a few tracks at most, and I'd love to have more.

Even acoustic renditions would be cool, like that acoustic rendition of AF's Society Suckers. I'm mainly looking for violin/string stuff though.

e; other than the String Quartet Tribute.

Knightbus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 20, 2009

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

pantsfish posted:

Here's what I'm into:

Silversun Pickups
MGMT
Harvey Danger
The Killers
Pixies
The Smiths
Murder by Death
Interpol

So basically alt/indie stuff where the sound is dictated by the singer and bassist. Any suggestions?

Nobody?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

pantsfish posted:

Nobody?

DDT might be an option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Vboe9QJAo&fmt=18

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

pantsfish posted:

Nobody?
I kind of like The Kills and The National, both of which I found through SA.

sicarim
Jun 8, 2007
urban dweller
Alright, i'm completely addicted to jazz music. I love it.

At this point i've covered all the basics, from Louis Armstrong to Miles Davis' last album.

I love Brubeck and Davis and am mostly interested in 60's-70's instrumental jazz, heavy on sax and trumpet, with epic solos that blow my mind. But I want to delve further but i'm not sure where to start.

So if anyone here is familiar with jazz music or can point me to JAZZ MUSIC megathread that'd be phenomenal. I can't get off this stuff.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

sicarim posted:

Alright, i'm completely addicted to jazz music. I love it.

At this point i've covered all the basics, from Louis Armstrong to Miles Davis' last album.

I love Brubeck and Davis and am mostly interested in 60's-70's instrumental jazz, heavy on sax and trumpet, with epic solos that blow my mind. But I want to delve further but i'm not sure where to start.

So if anyone here is familiar with jazz music or can point me to JAZZ MUSIC megathread that'd be phenomenal. I can't get off this stuff.

Being a bass player I totally dig Charles Mingus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7obQ7XNt4&fmt=18

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

pantsfish posted:

Nobody?
Try the Kaiser Chiefs. I only have their album Yours Truly, Angry Mob, but I love it and I hear their first album was better.

LansLeFleur
Apr 11, 2007

I'm really digging Future Of The Left, Les Savy Fav, Lightning Bolt, Death From Above 1979, Coachwhips and Mclusky lately, especially the sick bass.

So I'm kinda at a loss where to start off finding more bands who can jam a beat like them. Last.fm tags these guys all around the place ranging from noise, garage, indie etc etc.

Any recommendations are welcome, and it doesn't have to be from the same genre.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I gave my younger brother my old mp3 player, but he'll need some mp3s to go with it. I like some odd stuff and haven't been sure what to give him. He's a little too old for They Might Be Giants' kid-targeted stuff, but he's not old enough to get over cussin' in music.

He'll listen to drat near anything catchy enough, whether it's Barenaked Ladies or The Clash singles or even M.C. Hammer. :gonk: What's poppy enough to keep his attention, but doesn't suck?

thetruancybot
Dec 26, 2008

by Fistgrrl

aude omnia posted:

I gave my younger brother my old mp3 player, but he'll need some mp3s to go with it. I like some odd stuff and haven't been sure what to give him. He's a little too old for They Might Be Giants' kid-targeted stuff, but he's not old enough to get over cussin' in music.

He'll listen to drat near anything catchy enough, whether it's Barenaked Ladies or The Clash singles or even M.C. Hammer. :gonk: What's poppy enough to keep his attention, but doesn't suck?

How old is he? Middle school and early high school kids love The Bends and some OK Computer Radiohead.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

thetruancybot posted:

How old is he? Middle school and early high school kids love The Bends and some OK Computer Radiohead.
He's only 9. :shobon: That's a little much for him, I still have my music from that point kicking around. But I was a weird kid who liked dry depressing stuff like The Walkmen and don't want him to also lead a life of misery & despair. :emo:

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

LansLeFleur posted:

I'm really digging Future Of The Left, Les Savy Fav, Lightning Bolt, Death From Above 1979, Coachwhips and Mclusky lately, especially the sick bass.

So I'm kinda at a loss where to start off finding more bands who can jam a beat like them. Last.fm tags these guys all around the place ranging from noise, garage, indie etc etc.

Not sure if they're quite what you're looking for, but here are a few recommendations.

Chrome - bizarre psychedelic freakout rock that influenced a lot of noise and industrial bands. I recommend the "Chrome Box" compilation.

Jesus Lizard - heavy and noisy, great bass lines. Get "Goat" and "Head".

The Birthday Party - similar to Jesus Lizard, but with Nick Cave. "Prayers on Fire" and "Junkyard".

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

aude omnia posted:

He's only 9. :shobon: That's a little much for him, I still have my music from that point kicking around. But I was a weird kid who liked dry depressing stuff like The Walkmen and don't want him to also lead a life of misery & despair. :emo:

Foo Fighters?

I have no idea. One of my nine year old cousins I just saw at a wedding had his iPod full of Iron Maiden :rock:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

aude omnia posted:

Maybe it's because I'm listening to 3 Feet High and Rising right now, but how about De La Soul. It's clean and catchy and fun for all ages. I realize "fun for all ages" sound cliche but it just seems to fit. v:shobon:v

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

You want 3 minute songs that will hold the attention for a kid so I'll just recommend what my dad gave me when I was that age:

T-Rex
Clash
The Jam

short, sweet, good.

might even grow up cool

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

LansLeFleur posted:

I second The Jesus Lizard and here are a few others:

http://www.myspace.com/fatalflyingguilloteens
http://www.myspace.com/youngwidows
http://www.myspace.com/witchhats

Crunchy noisy rock with sick overdriven bass.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I absolutely love MF Doom, Mad Villain, the Danger Doom album especially, and Nujabes.

Wucha got for me.

LansLeFleur
Apr 11, 2007

Killing Loaf posted:

I've been a fan of nick cave's work for a while now. Really enjoying Grinderman aswell. Will look into Chrome a bit later.

Jesus Lizard is tight! Thanks!

Harvest Goon posted:

Thanks for the links! Exactly what I've been looking for! I'm especially enjoying youngwidows and witchhats!

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

HatchetDown posted:

I absolutely love MF Doom, Mad Villain, the Danger Doom album especially, and Nujabes.

Wucha got for me.

Gorillaz or N.e.r.d maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvxztcIvsss&fmt=18

*edit*

I didn't even notice nujabee's and I don't know much about them, but I dig Rhymester if it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60fnP0e1RT0&fmt=18

also check out Drunken Tiger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPMD79xu-CA&fmt=18

I don't listen to much asian hiphop

Munoma fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 22, 2009

Failbird
Mar 19, 2009

I'm Batman
I'd appreciate recommendations for music with heavy focus on African drumming (djembe, ewe music etc).
Not ambient music, the best thing I could compare what I'm looking for to is The Dodos.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Failbird posted:

I'd appreciate recommendations for music with heavy focus on African drumming (djembe, ewe music etc).
Not ambient music, the best thing I could compare what I'm looking for to is The Dodos.

Hossam Ramzy hails from Egypt *that counts right*

The only problem I have with this guy is the fact that alot of his cd's are pretty much one song after another sounding similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wNR206EFhA&fmt=18

*edit*

I think I should take this time to make a request myself.

I know nothing about shamisen's and I want something that sounds like this, that isn't Indian mind you. I listen to plenty Indian music already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtJGoZjgRs&fmt=18

Munoma fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 22, 2009

Failbird
Mar 19, 2009

I'm Batman

I don't particularly care for that other odd-sounding instrument, but I'll give him a listen, thanks.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Matt and Kim!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgBeu3FVi60

They definitely sound a bit like Tokyo Police Club, though I don't really care for TPC.

Make Yourself
Dec 21, 2006
So I can put anything here?
I'm looking for some good up-tempo, modern, great guitar rifts along the lines of:

The Black Keys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHeF2lFO3IQ&fmt=18

Silversun Pickups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmE57YE3pSc

Pretty much anything Jack White does

Radio Moscow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7utv94JU4

If anyone has some suggestions, post up some youtubes/myspaces

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

From the first page

Farts Domino posted:

A lot of people ask for Black Keys recommendations. Kingcobweb's recs above still apply, but specifically I'd check out artists on labels like Alive! Naturalsound (Soledad Brothers for instance), Fat Possum Records (bluesier, but usually with a little Rock & Roll crunch), and as far as individual bands go, The Greenhornes, Mr. Airplane Man, Pearlene, 20 Miles, The Go, The Deadly Snakes, not to mention older bands like The Allman Brothers and Cream.

The Oblivians could fit in both this post and the one above it (as could a lot of these bands I guess) but The Compulsive Gamblers feature some of the same members and are more Black Keysian
not tryin' to be sassy, it's just easier than typing it again

Make Yourself
Dec 21, 2006
So I can put anything here?

Farts Domino posted:

From the first page

not tryin' to be sassy, it's just easier than typing it again

Sorry I missed that. Most of the bands listed sound like good bluesy rock n' roll bands, but I was hoping for a little more upbeat/modern rock. I probably shouldn't have mentioned Black Keys because it seems like 70% of their songs are bluesy, which is great, but just not what I'm trying to find similar stuff to. So maybe I should say stuff similar to Silversun Pickups.

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

The Power and The Ballin'
Can anyone recommend any good solid funk?

A few years ago I had a brief flirtation with some of the more mainstream 60s/70s funk and I had all but forgotten about it until I heard Maximum Joy - Stretch recently.

Now, I know this isn't "proper" funk per se, but hopefully it'll give you some idea to the type of sound I'm looking for. I don't really mind what era it's from, just that it is heavy on the bass & horn, good to dance to & not something you'd find on a "20 Funk Classics" compilation CD.

Wheel of Confusion posted:

Sorry if I missed a similar post, but can someone recommend where to start for someone who would like to listen to hip-hop, but knows nothing about it? Thanks.

Hip-Hop is a bit of a strange beast; As a musical genre it has a definition but over time it's become a bit of a catch-all term, so there's loads of different styles of music that can still be considered hip-hop.

Give us an idea of what type of stuff you'd like to hear. Even if, as you say, you know nothing about hip-hop, you could tell us the type of music you listen to now so we can give an educated guess on what you'd like.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Tripplejol posted:

For 80s stuff, you this thread could help... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098961

For earlier stuff, some solid well know stuff would be james brown, first couple kool & the gang albums, and the meters.

If you want some less common stuff there are many compilations of funk 45s. Brainfreeze breaks is mixed by Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow or if you want just a bunch of songs you can check out some of the comps made by Keb Darge.

For later stuff, boogie-funk is making something of a resurgence, you can check out Dam Funk or U-Turn's podcasts.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

plogo posted:

For 80s stuff, you this thread could help... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098961
and there's this thread too

but as far as horns go, does afrobeat work for you? There are a few posters that could enlighten you on that better than I but you should check out Fela Kuti, Daktaris, Orlando Julius, Manu Dibango, Budos Band, Cane & Abel, and African Music Machine. Those aren't all afrobeat but somewhere I hope one of those matches what you're looking for

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

Tripplejol posted:

A few years ago I had a brief flirtation with some of the more mainstream 60s/70s funk and I had all but forgotten about it until I heard Maximum Joy - Stretch recently.

Now, I know this isn't "proper" funk per se, but hopefully it'll give you some idea to the type of sound I'm looking for. I don't really mind what era it's from, just that it is heavy on the bass & horn, good to dance to & not something you'd find on a "20 Funk Classics" compilation CD.

With funk you really have to start with the obvious ones: Funkadelic, Parliament, Sly and the Family Stone (especially later albums Fresh and There's a Riot Goin On), Curtis Mayfield, War, Isaac Hayes, Rufus, etc. If you want some good modern funky stuff, check out everything on the Daptone label. NOMO, Poets of Rhythm, Lefties Soul Connection, Antibalas are making good stuff these days, too. If you want a great compilation of lesser-known funk and soul, check out the amazingly diverse and enjoyable What It Is! comp, which can lead you in the direction of more good bands.

Here's just some more classic funk bands that aren't necessarily as hugely known: Shotgun, Baby Huey, Buddy Miles, Eugene McDaniels, Lafayette Afro-Rock Band, Politicians, Eddie Hazel, Jimmy McGriff.

bumpizza
Feb 11, 2006
Recommend me something like Architecture in Helsinki's "Places Like This" (which is an awesome album, btw).

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

The Power and The Ballin'

plogo, Farts Domino & Owen posted:

Funk ³

Wow, I wasn't expecting 3 replies so heavy with funk, it'll take me some time to sift through your suggestions but it is very much appreciated and I'll let you know if I find a gem or two, cheers.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I would like to get into Bruce Springsteen. What is the one must have album from him that I should find first?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 26, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

I would like to get into Bruce Springsteen. What is the one must have album from him that I should find first?

I don't know if it's that simple; for the most part, I've either seen people say "Darkness on the Edge of Town" is his best album, or "Born To Run", or "Born In The USA", or "Nebraska".

I'm going to tell you how I started to appreciate him and hope you can replicate my own experience; the first album of his I heard is "Born To Run" and it was the gateway that made me start to like him on a level beyond 'when he's on the radio I don't change the station'. "Nebraska" however was the second album of his that I heard, and it really gives him an artistic depth that actually made me appreciate him. What I'm saying is that for me, I started with those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omena
Aug 29, 2008

One day we will die
and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
Can anyone recommend me bands like Sublime? I've tried Last.fm but I'm not a huge fan of dub music, which seems to be all I'm getting. I like the reggae taste of Sublime.