Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Shady Amish Terror posted:

You survived that much inadvertant dunking? And killed Demogorgon? This is ridiculously awesome, you know that, right?

Personally, the mutual hatred between me and Nethack has gotten to the point where I'll never, ever have a chance at ascension, but for some reason I do go back to play a quick round every now and again. Most of my deaths come from impatience; unlike some people I do eventually get bored of exercising my wisdom in the dust and counting the turns I can safely flee from leocrottas in. I've never even gotten to Vlad.

Scrawling elbereth in the dust is useful on occasion but it's basically your last resort. If you're regularly relying on it to survive you're eventually going to die when it fails. There's a million better options for escaping, you need to identify them early and use them as soon as it becomes apparent there's a significant threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Contra Duck posted:

Also I've killed more woodchucks than Demogorgons :v:
I've genocided woodchucks as many times as I've killed Demogorgon. But I really hate those fuckin' woodchucks.

Edit: dumplog

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Contra Duck posted:

Scrawling elbereth in the dust is useful on occasion but it's basically your last resort. If you're regularly relying on it to survive you're eventually going to die when it fails. There's a million better options for escaping, you need to identify them early and use them as soon as it becomes apparent there's a significant threat.

I think you misunderstand, sir or madam. We're talking about leocrottas that generally appear before I've so much as seen a wand, much less have any useful equipment whatsoever.

E: No seriously, they've killed both my most recent archeologist and wizard, one while trying to locate Sokoban, the other while looking for the mines entrance. And before we get started on early game class difficulty, I should point out I tend to lose my Valkyries to even dumber forces. :v:

E2: Double-checked just to make sure I wasn't misremembering something exceptionally retarded or wrong; Leocrotta is difficulty 8, so it's perfectly possible to start spawning them if you're looking for sokoban...but I must have gone horribly awry the time it spawned while looking for the mines. Polytrap? Return trip from looking for sokoban? Bones file? Not sure on that.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 24, 2009

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Sounds like to me like you might be descending too quickly. Depending what qualifies as "useful equipment," I'd think you should have some by the time you're looking for Sokoban. Are you exploring each level thoroughly? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure how I got past the skill level where I constantly suffered lame leocrotta/killer bee/fire ant/rothe deaths; they just sort of stopped happening.

Also, you have to be pretty unlucky to get your wizard killed like that. Force bolt is terrific in the early game. But sometimes the RNG screws you.

On an unrelated note, is there a reason I've never seen a woodchuck? I've played for years and ascended several classes. Are they on a Quest level or something?

McNerd fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 24, 2009

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

Please, the terms of my parole say I mustn't

McNerd posted:

Sounds like to me like you might be descending too quickly. Depending what qualifies as "useful equipment," I'd think you should have some by that point. Are you exploring each level thoroughly?

Also, you have to be pretty unlucky to get your wizard killed like that. Force bolt is terrific in the early game. But sometimes the RNG screws you.

On an unrelated note, is there a reason I've never seen a woodchuck? I've played for years and ascended several classes. Are they on a Quest level or something?

They don't spawn anywhere; they were added as a sort of joke by the devteam, and the only way you'll ever see one is by reverse-genociding, or zany polymorph.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

McNerd posted:

*ZOT*

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SubG posted:

I've genocided woodchucks as many times as I've killed Demogorgon. But I really hate those fuckin' woodchucks.

Edit: dumplog

:raise: Spinachbane?

Also, ran into one of your bones files on NAO yesterday. Looked like a samurai who ran into a poisoned dart.

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs

I think you misunderstand, sir or madam. We're talking about leocrottas that generally appear before I've so much as seen a wand, much less have any useful equipment whatsoever.

E: No seriously, they've killed both my most recent archeologist and wizard, one while trying to locate Sokoban, the other while looking for the mines entrance. And before we get started on early game class difficulty, I should point out I tend to lose my Valkyries to even dumber forces. :v:

E2: Double-checked just to make sure I wasn't misremembering something exceptionally retarded or wrong; Leocrotta is difficulty 8, so it's perfectly possible to start spawning them if you're looking for sokoban...but I must have gone horribly awry the time it spawned while looking for the mines. Polytrap? Return trip from looking for sokoban? Bones file? Not sure on that.

The wiki has a list of useful items - http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Escape_item . You almost certainly have at least one of these by the time you reach Sokoban. Also, most classes have a good way of dealing with tough enemies. Magic classes can cast spells, ranged classes can throw darts/arrows, melee classes have enough AC to back into a corridor and take them on with a little Elbereth help. Also, any class can build up a huge stack of daggers/darts and use them to soften up tough enemies. It seems like most of the time I die to any of the nasty early game enemies (ants, leocrottas, rothes) it's because I was rushing through unprepared and let them get in an extra round or two of hits.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

elcyberGoth posted:

They don't spawn anywhere; they were added as a sort of joke by the devteam, and the only way you'll ever see one is by reverse-genociding, or zany polymorph.
Or wishing for a blessed figurine of a woodchuck. For example.

JawnV6 posted:

Spinachbane?
Who doesn't want an artifact tin opener? Never know when you're going to need one.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

SubG posted:

artifact tin opener

I thought that was what Magicbane was for!

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I just had my fastest death.

Found a spell book 2 steps away from where I spawned in DL1, read it and apparently it was a book of teleport away. I teleported to some random part of the map beside a jackal that proceeded to rip me to shreds before I could respond.

Today I've also died by:
-Getting food poisoning by eating a rotten egg.
-Putting on an amulet of strangulation.
-Turning into a wererat after eating a wererat corpse and getting clawed to death by a kitten.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

whiskas posted:

Found a spell book 2 steps away from where I spawned in DL1, read it and apparently it was a book of teleport away. I teleported to some random part of the map beside a jackal that proceeded to rip me to shreds before I could respond.

Today I've also died by:
-Turning into a wererat after eating a wererat corpse and getting clawed to death by a kitten.
It's generally not a good idea to read random spellbooks or put on random amulets, you should eat any egg you find immediately (provided it's not a cockatrice one), and you can pray to cure food poisoning and lycanthropy.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

whiskas posted:

Today I've also died by:

Teleporting is a random effect of failing to read a spellbook successfully. If the spellbook was actually teleport away, then that's purely coincidental. Hopefully you've learned a few things though; namely don't read unidentified spellbooks, don't eat eggs, don't wear unidentified amulets, and don't eat wererats!

Actually reading an unidentified spellbook is OK if you know it is blessed, because there's a 0% failure rate. Non-cursed amulets are mostly OK too, although I think there is a small chance of strangulation and restful sleep being generated non-cursed.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

stubblyhead posted:

Teleporting is a random effect of failing to read a spellbook successfully. If the spellbook was actually teleport away, then that's purely coincidental. Hopefully you've learned a few things though; namely don't read unidentified spellbooks, don't eat eggs, don't wear unidentified amulets, and don't eat wererats!

Actually reading an unidentified spellbook is OK if you know it is blessed, because there's a 0% failure rate. Non-cursed amulets are mostly OK too, although I think there is a small chance of strangulation and restful sleep being generated non-cursed.

You can't remove a non-cursed strangulation amulet? I thought the whole "It's Cursed" was the reason you can't remove it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KGBAgent185 posted:

You can't remove a non-cursed strangulation amulet? I thought the whole "It's Cursed" was the reason you can't remove it?

I was under the impression that non-cursed strangulation and restful sleep would curse themselves when worn, but it seems that only helms of opposite alignment, dunce caps, and loadstones do that. I thought that the unpleasant rings and amulets did too, but I was mistaken!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I tend to try to descend quickly until one of a few conditions is met (food issues, coaligned altar found, sufficient equipment to get past dark mine levels to reach minetown, sokoban, leocrotta or team a), because it gives the game fewer options for loving me over before I've found some usable equipment. My wizards usually die due to either being hosed over in a single turn (did you know that monsters like Jabberwocks and unicorns on Sokoban may refuse to move from a blind corner if you can't see them?), or from...me being stupid and either accidentally hitting a wrong key or double-tapping a direction by accident, causing me to be hosed over in one turn. I've resorted to carrying a hard gemstone to Elbereth every square that could turn into blind corner bullshit on levels like Soko1 that I'll probably visit often.

I've also gotten to the end of Sokoban to find an empty Elbereth square as my reward, before. The door was still shut and everything. And I'm pretty sure it was the Bag of Holding layout, so I don't think there's even any monster that would pick it up.

I've considered playing on NAO just to share my bullshit deaths with the world, but I'm sure I've forgotten enough of the important stuff in the game by now that it would only be a frustrating experience for all involved, with many angry daemonmails. :(

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I've considered playing on NAO just to share my bullshit deaths with the world, but I'm sure I've forgotten enough of the important stuff in the game by now that it would only be a frustrating experience for all involved, with many angry daemonmails. :(

People do not really care enough to follow your game and send you angry mail. You can just play on NAO and hang out in #nethack and ask for help occasionally.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there are enough lousy players on NAO that you'd just sort of blend in with the crowd. I'm only kidding of course, but go on and give it a try. You could also try #sacketyhack. It's a goon-centric channel, so there tends to be a bit less stupidness in there.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have somehow disabled drop messages and can't find a way to turn them on in the options. This doesn't bother me if I drop something because I know where it is, but when it's my pet it's another story.

What did I do? I really don't see it in the options or controls.

Also, can cockatrice eggs stone you instantly? I'm thinking if you have two different stacks of two eggs and a lizard corpse, you can safely eat one and have a great projectile IDed.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 25, 2009

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

I've also gotten to the end of Sokoban to find an empty Elbereth square as my reward, before. The door was still shut and everything. And I'm pretty sure it was the Bag of Holding layout, so I don't think there's even any monster that would pick it up.

Elves and peaceful monsters (amongst other things) don't respect Elbereth so one of them probably took it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Eating results in stiffening, not instantly turning to stone, so if you're unencumbered and have a spare lizard corpse you could try it.

That said, just because you have two stacks of eggs doesn't mean one of them is cockatrice; in addition to generic food-eggs, randomly generated eggs can be from any oviparous monster, including most of DagsS; (dragons, ants, gargoyles, snakes, spiders, and eels, among others). In addition, any or all of them could be rotten.

The most reliable way to get cockatrice eggs is to polymorph into one, #sit to lay eggs, and store them in a container until they go dead (you don't want a cockatrice hatching as you ready the egg to throw!).

psykelus
Oct 1, 2001

ZerodotJander posted:

Cockatrice eggs make awesome missiles though!
You throw the cockatrice egg. The egg slips from your hand!--More--

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

psykelus posted:

You throw the cockatrice egg. The egg slips from your hand!--More--

This could be a great dudley.

So the option I somehow tweaked was "verbose." Do not set this option to false. It referred to every enemy as "it" and didn't show a number of messages. I suspect it was reducing my to-hit chance as well. :colbert:

Never mentioned it before but superb thread title.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 25, 2009

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

How do you hatch eggs? Wait can you?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Social Animal posted:

How do you hatch eggs? Wait can you?

Keep them in your inventory, if they're hatchable they'll hatch eventually and fall out of your pack.

thebrassthief
Mar 19, 2009
How do more find more food? If I die, it's because I have nothing to eat and faint and something bites me to death. I was just at this part with these watchmen walking around (I don't know what it's called but I've been there) and was ONE loving square from a fountain to get Excalibur. Faint, get bit to death by a bat. gently caress.

So, food. How I find more?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Keep them in your inventory, if they're hatchable they'll hatch eventually and fall out of your pack.

Are they tame at all? That's a neat way to get pets if so.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Social Animal posted:

Are they tame at all? That's a neat way to get pets if so.

Yes, you get something like:
The cave spider crawls out of your pack! It's cries sound like "mama."

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

thebrassthief posted:

How do more find more food? If I die, it's because I have nothing to eat and faint and something bites me to death. I was just at this part with these watchmen walking around (I don't know what it's called but I've been there) and was ONE loving square from a fountain to get Excalibur. Faint, get bit to death by a bat. gently caress.

Save your rations for when you need them and eat corpses whenever possible. Most corpses are edible but there's a few basic rules you should follow:

1. Don't eat kobolds.
2. Don't eat stuff unless you JUST killed it because it goes bad very quickly.
2a. This also means don't eat the undead because they died a long time ago.
3. Be careful of eating corpses of monsters with poison attacks like soldier ants, killer bees and giant spiders. They're fine if you have poison resistance but they can drain your strength if you don't.
4. Don't commit cannibalism and don't eat cats/dogs.

Anything else you'll see in the early game is good eating. In the mines you'll find a lot of gnomes which make a great meal if you're not a gnome.

And by the way, the place you reached was minestown. It's guaranteed to be there a few levels down in the mines every game. Be careful going for excalibur there though, the watch don't take kindly to people messing with their fountains :)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

thebrassthief posted:

Are you eating every safe corpse you come across? That is to say, never eat a zombie or mummy corpse; avoid eating bat (confuses) or mold (hallucinates) corpse; avoid eating poisonous creatures if you don't want to/can't deal with the possible str hit; avoid things like leprechauns and nymphs unless you want to get teleportitis; and keep lichen corpses around because they never rot, so they're basically food rations.

Never pick up a corpse other than lichen or lizard; these never go bad. All other corpses, eat where they sit, and eat the moment you can safely eat them after killing them. Don't cart them around (unless you have an icebox or something)

These few steps should help. You should never be fainting. Yes, you were one square away from getting Excalibur - but you can't eat Excalibur, so I'm not sure what you think you would have accomplished by making it that one more square.

If you're truly out of food and are starving, pray. Your god, assuming there's no worse problem at the moment, will fill your stomach up. If you don't pray again until you're starving again, you'll be able to safely pray again.

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007

Golbez posted:

Yes, you were one square away from getting Excalibur - but you can't eat Excalibur, so I'm not sure what you think you would have accomplished by making it that one more square.

Maybe he polymorphed into a metallivore :colbert:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

bobwhoops posted:

Maybe he polymorphed into a metallivore :colbert:

The sword would have been perfectly good on its own, in that case. :v: Can metallivores even eat artifacts?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Another stupid death. DL1 exploring some room, my kitten triggers a boulder trap. A boulder rolls through an entrance into the room, rolls over my kitten, crushing and killing it, then continues to roll over me, crushing and killing me.

This game is a merciless bastard.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lizard corpses also make okay food rations, but keep one for anti-stoning.

I have a theory that partially eaten food rations are better than their whole equivalent. Say you start eating it and black out for a bit. You could finish it on the spot and not get "blech rotten food!" again. The second eating gets most of the filling done, but takes fewer turns than eating a normal ration and is less risky, plus they should be lighter.

Not starving comes with some practice and is only an issue early game. If you are running low on food, consider doing the mines first or rushing to them. All you can eat gnome.

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007

The sword would have been perfectly good on its own, in that case. :v: Can metallivores even eat artifacts?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Golbez posted:

and keep lichen corpses around because they never rot, so they're basically food rations.
Moreso emergency rations, since they give significantly less nutrition than a food ration, but they're good for 200 turns (not counting ring/amulet/spellcasting hunger) of "oh god where is my next meal" apiece.

rms
May 14, 2008

Computer illiterate

bobwhoops posted:

:aaaaa: Does it for artifact wishing purpose, reduce the number of present artifacts?

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007

rms posted:

:aaaaa: Does it for artifact wishing purpose, reduce the number of present artifacts?

Hm, that would be neat if it did. Unfortunately it's hard to test in wizard mode because your wishes are always granted. Looking at the source code though, it doesn't look like there's any way to reduce the number of existing artifacts

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Golbez posted:

Never pick up a corpse other than lichen or lizard; these never go bad. All other corpses, eat where they sit, and eat the moment you can safely eat them after killing them. Don't cart them around (unless you have an icebox or something)

The thread title would like to partially disagree with your advice. Cockatrice corpses make great weapons, so long as you are wearing gloves, are unburdened and can manage to avoid pit traps.

Also picking up corpses for the purposes for the purpose of sacrificing is encouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

I have somehow disabled drop messages and can't find a way to turn them on in the options. This doesn't bother me if I drop something because I know where it is, but when it's my pet it's another story.

What did I do? I really don't see it in the options or controls.

Check options (shift-O) for Verbose:True.

• Locked thread