Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Ahhhhhhhhhh I need a Blu-Ray player for Seventh Seal update now. For some reason I like the subdued cover for Last Year. I can see why some would find it boring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is going to be CC release. Odd.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Captain Charisma posted:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is going to be CC release. Odd.

Source? I thought Wes Anderson was the only director who got to do that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cacator posted:

Source? I thought Wes Anderson was the only director who got to do that.

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9490&start=0

As one of those who thought it was pretty good I don't see what everyone is so worked up about. The 39.99 price point does seem a bit surprising though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Everyone can quit their bitching, I do believe this clinches it for worst Criterion cover:

Maybe it's just a slipcase and they'll have something fancier underneath.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Blu-ray, too. What a weird turn, they haven't done this in a while. Well, if it brings more money to Criterion, then I'm all in support.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Of any Fincher movies to get Criterion, it's sad that they picked his weakest effort. The 2-discs of Fight Club and Se7en are pretty flawless, so they don't need much more - is the two-disc Zodiac as good as that film dseserves?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

At first I thought I somehow fell asleep for 2 weeks and woke up on April 1st. Totally out of left field. Oh well, it'll make 'em some cash.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

Of any Fincher movies to get Criterion, it's sad that they picked his weakest effort. The 2-discs of Fight Club and Se7en are pretty flawless, so they don't need much more - is the two-disc Zodiac as good as that film dseserves?

The Game needs a good release.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

The Game needs a good release.

Ooh, good call - it's the only one of his films that hasn't gotten the super-deluxe treatment yet. And it's pretty awesome, in my opinion.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

At first I thought I somehow fell asleep for 2 weeks and woke up on April 1st. Totally out of left field. Oh well, it'll make 'em some cash.

This was pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't mind the simplicity of the cover art, however, I doubt it's final as it doesn't list Fincher's name anywhere on it. But I dont know, this is definitely pretty random.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

zeroordie posted:

This was pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't mind the simplicity of the cover art, however, I doubt it's final as it doesn't list Fincher's name anywhere on it. But I dont know, this is definitely pretty random.

I suppose they have to keep the art somewhat commercial, and it's better than what the studio would normally put out, but it's just so boring.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ClydeUmney posted:

Yeah, the release of Zodiac (I have the HD-DVD) was pretty good. Great transfer, awesome cover, Director's Cut with 2 commentaries, hour long behind the scenes, feature length documentary on the Zodiac, and a 40 minute documentary on Arthur Leigh Allen. Almost all of the extras were in HD too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Funny how Button gets a Criterion edition, but it'll help them release a lot of less prominent films. I'm guessing there's a slipcase with a much better cover inside (like the last two Wes Anderson releases).

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
I just got 400 Blows on DVD and feel like a sucker. I guess I've been spoiled by other CC movies I've bought, because the only content in this one is a 2 page long essay. Is this why they chose to re-release it on Bluray, to do it properly?

I also got Contempt, which is alright, and Dazed and Confused which looks amazing. It seems weird that a movie about getting high has the longest booklet of the Criterions I own. Also I don't know when they made the switch from plastic dual disc casing to paper/cardboard, but the latter is way better.

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.

TheYellowFog posted:

I also got Contempt, which is alright...

You mean the movie or the transfer?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TheYellowFog posted:

I guess I've been spoiled by other CC movies I've bought, because the only content in this one is a 2 page long essay.

It's really weird buying the early CC releases because they're so bare, especially when they're non-anamorphic. It's just...wrong.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

Bande apartheid posted:

You mean the movie or the transfer?
I haven't seen the movie yet, only parts of it on youtube. I was just talking about the boxart really. I am a huge geek for boxart and packaging when it comes to movies; I might be a consumer whore but part of the reason I like this series so much is that they have great packaging/extras, at least for everything since they changed from plastic casing. It helps that what they are selling are some of the best movies ever made.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
The worst part about the Benjamin Button cover is that it is just one of the later poster designs. There essentially was nothing changed for this other than giving the whole thing a black boarder.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TheYellowFog posted:

I just got 400 Blows on DVD and feel like a sucker. I guess I've been spoiled by other CC movies I've bought, because the only content in this one is a 2 page long essay. Is this why they chose to re-release it on Bluray, to do it properly?

Whoops, you should have done your homework. You either bought the old one, or the "Essential Art House" version. They re-released it years ago, long before the Blu-Ray.

* New digital transfer of The 400 Blows, enhanced for widescreen televisions
* Two audio commentaries: one by cinema professor Brian Stonehill and another by François Truffaut’s lifelong friend Robert Lachenay
* Rare audition footage of Jean-Pierre Léaud, Patrick Auffay, and Richard Kanayan
* Newsreel footage of Jean-Pierre Léaud in Cannes for the showing of The 400 Blows
* Excerpt from a French TV program with Truffaut discussing his youth, critical writings, and the origins of Antoine Doinel in The 400 Blows and Antoine and Colette
* Television interview with Truffaut about the global reception of The 400 Blows and his own critical impression of the film
* Theatrical trailer for The 400 Blows
* New and improved English subtitle translations

And if you buy it as part of the Antoine Doinel box set, it's also got Antoine and Colette on the disc.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Whoops, you should have done your homework. You either bought the old one, or the "Essential Art House" version. They re-released it years ago, long before the Blu-Ray.

* New digital transfer of The 400 Blows, enhanced for widescreen televisions
* Two audio commentaries: one by cinema professor Brian Stonehill and another by François Truffaut’s lifelong friend Robert Lachenay
* Rare audition footage of Jean-Pierre Léaud, Patrick Auffay, and Richard Kanayan
* Newsreel footage of Jean-Pierre Léaud in Cannes for the showing of The 400 Blows
* Excerpt from a French TV program with Truffaut discussing his youth, critical writings, and the origins of Antoine Doinel in The 400 Blows and Antoine and Colette
* Television interview with Truffaut about the global reception of The 400 Blows and his own critical impression of the film
* Theatrical trailer for The 400 Blows
* New and improved English subtitle translations

And if you buy it as part of the Antoine Doinel box set, it's also got Antoine and Colette on the disc.

Here is the 1998 original CC release

http://www.amazon.com/400-Blows-Criterion-Collection/dp/0780020731/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237529723&sr=1-6

Here is the 2006 release

http://www.amazon.com/400-Blows-Criterion-Collection/dp/B000E5LEV0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237529958&sr=1-2

Mine has the cover of the 2006 one. When I said I was surprised at the lack of content, I meant there was no booklet, I'm sure the DVD extras are about the same as other ones. It's not that big of a deal, its just I like the style that Breathless and Bicycle Thieves came in, as opposed to just a normal DVD case.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TheYellowFog posted:

I like the style that Breathless and Bicycle Thieves came in, as opposed to just a normal DVD case.

You mean a Digipak, as opposed to a Keep case. I agree with you, it feels more special than just a regular dvd case with "CRITERION" on the outside. They kind of remind me of gatefold records for some reason.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like them too but the ones I got from Amazon were all bent so they look lovely on a shelf.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I thought the Zodiac 2-Disc release was one of the more comprehensive "Special Edition" DVD's of the last few years. If you're a visual effects nerd you can really get into a lot of the work they did in constructing entire sets. You also got a lot of behind the scenes footage of Fincher and crew scouting locations and just general production work.

I always hate it when in behind the scenes documentary/supplementary pieces for DVD's they just say "Yeah so we did a lot of work using CG" (Cut to lots of random renders and some guy standing in front of a computer saying how hard it was) but then never really explaining what they actually did.

The case for Benjamin Button is a bit of blah and hell, I would have preferred no pictures and just text. I'm going to get this though because I want to see the supplementary stuff and I'm sure the commentary will be very good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Zabriskie Point wasn't licensed from Warner to Criterion, but it looks like some were "at the behest of their directors". I'm guessing that's a lock for Before Sunrise/Before Sunset and The Fountain.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
My Dinner With Andre cover art, if the Criterion page is to be believed:

Looks pretty nice, actually. The Benjamin Button art is still the same. Lots of extras, too:

* Interviews with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett
* Audio commentary featuring Academy Award-nominated director David Fincher
* Never-before-seen footage revealing the innovative techniques behind the Academy Award–winning visual effects and makeup
* Step-by-step examination of the motion-capture process aging Brad Pitt
* In-depth exploration of David Fincher’s creative process on the set
* Interview with acclaimed composer Alexandre Desplat about the score
* Featurettes on the film’s storyboards, costumes, and Academy Award–winning art direction
* Stills galleries, including costume design and candid behind-the-scenes production photos
* Optional French- and Spanish-dubbed soundtracks
* Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing, and optional French and Spanish subtitles
* PLUS: An essay by film critic Kent Jones

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Someone on criterion forum asked Mulvaney about them removing the blu-ray version of Ran from the Coming Soon section:

Jon Mulvaney posted:

Hello,

I hope this email finds you well. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray release of RAN has been cancelled indefinitely due to rights issues.

Sincerely,
Jon Mulvaney

loving sucks.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Someone on criterion forum asked Mulvaney about them removing the blu-ray version of Ran from the Coming Soon section:

loving sucks.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I held off buying Ran just so I could get it on blu-ray and now this :argh:

edit: and I'm still waiting to hear about the blu-rays for For All Mankind, Contempt, and others they named when they first announced the blu-ray lineup.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 27, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I already eBayed my SD copy of Ran. :sigh:

Well, I'm sure it will come... eventually.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Haha, FFD, you might've gotten hosed. Criterion is listing the SD DVD of Ran as out of print. It might be like those Rialto films that went out of print, and will come back in print in a few months, or it might be a few years.

I guess if you were curious about Ran, now is the time to rent it/buy it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The thing that sucks the most is that Ran already came out in a ton of different countries on HD-DVD but not one of them has English subtitles :(

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 29, 2009

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Sporadic posted:

The thing that sucks the most is that Ran already came out in a ton of different countries on HD-DVD but not one of them has English subtitles :(

Most of the transfers of it are dogshit from what I hear.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
So are the Weinsteins just huge irl trolls or something

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

So are the Weinsteins just huge irl trolls or something

Actually, it's probably just a snag because of renewals. Breathless was also licensed from Genius Entertainment. The Weinstein Co. doesn't have control over the old Wellspring stuff. Ran also has rights with StudioCanal and NHK, so maybe that's the problem.

I dunno how many films stuck with the Weinsteins after leaving Miramax (only the Samuel Bronston epics seem to be under license). Criterion getting Like Water for Chocolate would be pretty awesome, given it still doesn't have an uncut or remastered DVD.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

My only guess is Cronos, which I haven't seen.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

drat that James Franco, with his rule-breaking list and special page and James Dean-ish good looks!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

My only guess is Cronos, which I haven't seen.

That really couldn't be anything but Cronos. Good movie, but not one I'd really expect from Criterion.

If it means we get a Criterion of The Devil's Backbone, though, I am so down.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Any Guillermo is good Guillermo!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Starscream posted:

Any Guillermo is good Guillermo!

I take it you didn't see Blade 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Cacator posted:

drat that James Franco, with his rule-breaking list and special page and James Dean-ish good looks!