Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Weissbier posted:

I need a macpherson style spring compressor. Are there ones better than another or is a spring compressor a spring compressor?

I have much love for Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Manufacturing-MacPherson-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0007N201C

This a one time job? If yes, just get the loaner tool at Autozone.

Edit:

Thank god I bought these

There really isn't any other good way I could come up with to do Bondo on curved sheet metal.

daslog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Just picked up a motorcycle/atv jack from HarborFreight.com for $85 shipped with a free "attache case"...including shipping from California to Iowa. Sears wanted $165 shipped for an inferior model. Big props to HF on this one. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week so I can put new shocks on the motorcycle. :)

Anyone every order from HF online? How quick do they ship?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

angryhampster posted:

Anyone every order from HF online? How quick do they ship?
Yes and not very.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

RealKyleH posted:

Yes and not very.

CURSES!!!! I'm ordering all my motorcycle parts from J&P cycles since they're only an hour from me. Dammit I'm going to have parts and no way to put them on. Maybe I'll call Harbor Freight and throw some more money at them for quicker shipping.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've gotten tools fro HF within a week, but usually, its more like 10 days.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
What do you do when autozone has already rented out their spring compressors and you're too cheap for harbor freight?

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

edit: Not mine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

oxbrain posted:

What do you do when autozone has already rented out their spring compressors and you're too cheap for harbor freight?

That scares the gently caress out of me.

sideshowalan
Aug 4, 2004

The rake, my archenemy!

Weissbier posted:

I need a macpherson style spring compressor. Are there ones better than another or is a spring compressor a spring compressor?

I have much love for Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Manufacturing-MacPherson-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0007N201C

I bought these to change all 4 of my struts out last month. They appear to be identical to the Craftsman compressor for much cheaper. They worked like a champ, didn't bend or bow or make me feel nervous.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would just use two floor jacks & unload the spring after removing the nuts. Never used a spring compressor in thirty years.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

oxbrain posted:

edit: Not mine.

Christ, I would have at least pretended to make it burly by using some chain links and stacks of washers

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

PainterofCrap posted:

I would just use two floor jacks & unload the spring after removing the nuts. Never used a spring compressor in thirty years.

I can't quite visualize how this works. Can you elaborate?

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

kaniff posted:

You use the weight of the vehicle to compress the springs. Unbolt the springs at the top, jack the car up, take the wheels off, pull down on the shocks/springs to get them out , pull up on the springs to remove them.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
:siren: Code: MWMANIA40W :siren:

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 25, 2009

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

RealKyleH posted:

:siren: Code: MWMANIA40W :siren:

How about a website link, i have no idea what this is to.

oh yeah, you're leeching homeboy..

Lando fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 25, 2009

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kaniff posted:

Similar to above: I raise the body so the wheel is hanging. Remove the wheel.

Use a smaller jack under the strut (or lower control arm on my car) to compress the spring.

Remove the tower bolts/top retainer (pop the lower ball joint on non-strut)

Lower the small jack to unload.

Installation is the reverse order of removal.

The difference in using two jacks is better pinpoint guidance/control when reloading the spring.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Lando posted:

How about a website link, i have no idea what this is to.

oh yeah, you're leeching homeboy..

If you dont know what MSC is this probably wont be of that much use to you. Way to be lame about the leeching.

http://mscdirect.com/

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

meatpimp posted:

That scares the gently caress out of me.

Why?

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Guys stop being lame to eachother. Let's end the lameness.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

seriouspost - I may have a line on a used Craftsman 25gallon 4hp compressor. Guy says it works, but you have to disable the safety valve. I imagine that's important.

Is there a way to replace/fix this valve, if so any idea how much? He said he'd sell it to me for $40. If I can get this valve fixed for $20 or so, $60 for a 25gal compressor would be :krad:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

frozenphil posted:

Why?

Because those welds might not be very good or those steel clips might not have the strength in the arc to stay bent like that. If one goes it could take the other with it and kill us all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Korwen posted:

seriouspost - I may have a line on a used Craftsman 25gallon 4hp compressor. Guy says it works, but you have to disable the safety valve. I imagine that's important.

Is there a way to replace/fix this valve, if so any idea how much? He said he'd sell it to me for $40. If I can get this valve fixed for $20 or so, $60 for a 25gal compressor would be :krad:
Should just be a screwed-in fitting. They're basically set to open and relieve pressure if the motor doesn't stop when it should, but sometimes get a little eager to vent.

Or he could mean the pressure switch that cuts the power to the motor automatically, I've had a couple of cheap ones fail on me before. Again, should be replaceable with simple hand tools.

Don't know about the USA, but I'd be looking at about $20 for a safety relief valve, or about $30 for a complete pressure-activated switch assembly. I'd be very surprised if they weren't cheaper than that in America.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Korwen posted:

Get the model number for the compressor and call sears, they'll have the parts and can give you a quote to fix it too.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Sweet - sounds like I might be getting a compressor - now to scour the web for air tools.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Korwen posted:

Sweet - sounds like I might be getting a compressor - now to scour the web for air tools.

Some air tools from HF are great. I've been very happy with my 90* die grinder and cutoff wheel.

Squishy Buddha
Jan 9, 2003

2/12/1980 Never Forget.

Korwen posted:

If you find my post from a few days ago there was a set on sale at Lowes, and they are flat out awesome.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...99&keycode=0000

:v:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

haha came here to post dis.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
FYI Loctite variety pack of sticks for $20 at Amazon's Friday sale. Not sure if this is the normal price but it was mentioned earlier that these are super useful.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mod sassinator posted:

FYI Loctite variety pack of sticks for $20 at Amazon's Friday sale. Not sure if this is the normal price but it was mentioned earlier that these are super useful.

Thank you. Good price, especially with free shipping. Sticks are normally about $7 each.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

mod sassinator posted:

God drat awesome sales like this make me hate amazon.com not shipping to Canada :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow looks like Amazon sold out of the Loctite and another seller is offering it at the lowest price. It was $20.65 last night and sold through something that was fulfilled by Amazon (so prime shipping applies). At $24 it still doesn't seem like a bad price though.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Has anyone actually used these in the store? It says right on the coupon that duplicates (computer printouts) aren't valid. I want a new jack... :(

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Bagarthach posted:

Has anyone actually used these in the store? It says right on the coupon that duplicates (computer printouts) aren't valid. I want a new jack... :(

I have. Duplicates are a no-no, but printing it out from your computer is just fine.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Bagarthach posted:

Yes I have. If you want to avoid "duplicates" just change your customer number and print two.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I picked up the compressor today. It works, but it's not in the greatest of condition. It's been used, a lot.

There's some peeling of the paint and slight surface rust. The filter screen has cracked off, so I'm going to have to figure out some way to get one on there. I am going to sand off the surface rust and respray part of it. It'll look ghetto as gently caress unless I do the whole tank, which I might eventually do. I drained the tank and very little liquid came out, however. Is this dangerous? Is it a deal breaker? With another $20 or so I can get it back to very workable condition, I just want to make sure it's safe.

So now I have something to work on in the meantime.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Korwen posted:

I picked up the compressor today. It works, but it's not in the greatest of condition. It's been used, a lot.

There's some peeling of the paint and slight surface rust. The filter screen has cracked off, so I'm going to have to figure out some way to get one on there. I am going to sand off the surface rust and respray part of it. It'll look ghetto as gently caress unless I do the whole tank, which I might eventually do. I drained the tank and very little liquid came out, however. Is this dangerous? Is it a deal breaker? With another $20 or so I can get it back to very workable condition, I just want to make sure it's safe.

So now I have something to work on in the meantime.

I'd pop an inspection plug and check out the inside of the bottom of the tank. You can also remove the drainplug and see if its covered in rusty crap. If it is, then the tank is rusty, and you'll be guessing at how badly until you get it checked with a thickness gauge, or just get a new tank and transplant the compressor motor and whatnot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hello what's this then

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

What's that hiding behind you there?

Why it's a big loving tool cabinet. Bottom half seems to be a tad rusty.

Nothing a little quick and dirty coat of Rustoleum won't fix.

The lock on the top half is jammed and I havn't been able to get it open just yet but other than that it's almost perfect.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I'd pop an inspection plug and check out the inside of the bottom of the tank. You can also remove the drainplug and see if its covered in rusty crap. If it is, then the tank is rusty, and you'll be guessing at how badly until you get it checked with a thickness gauge, or just get a new tank and transplant the compressor motor and whatnot.

Okay, well, now I'm having a problem with it. It keeps blowing the breaker I have it on. It runs, compresses air fine, then the circuit breaker pops for whichever one I have it on. Is there a temp way to just get it running for more than 15 seconds without it blowing one, or am I just boned? Could the problem be with the motor, or is my breaker just not beefy enough?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Korwen posted:

Okay, well, now I'm having a problem with it. It keeps blowing the breaker I have it on. It runs, compresses air fine, then the circuit breaker pops for whichever one I have it on. Is there a temp way to just get it running for more than 15 seconds without it blowing one, or am I just boned? Could the problem be with the motor, or is my breaker just not beefy enough?

is it a 220V compressor that youre running on a 120V line? Outside of that circumstance a 110V anything shouldnt be pulling more than 15A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

is it a 220V compressor that youre running on a 120V line? Outside of that circumstance a 110V anything shouldnt be pulling more than 15A.

It was a "hybrid" that could be converted to run on 120 or 240 I do believe, tomorrow I can pull all the numbers off the front cowl.