Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Uthor posted:

I find this under the OEM section, but I'm not sure if this is a European only feature or if it's a factory option. On the GTI, you can replace the air vent on the top of the dash with a tray.

Personally, I don't need things flying around so I'm never going to install one, but it's a fairly popular mod. If I ever needed more space (besides my glove box, arm rest, cup holders, "ash try", door slots, or pockets behind the seats), I could always get drawers underneath my seats or another cubby hole to the left of the steering wheel.

That is rather novel. I wouldn't mind installing that on my Company Rabbit. (09 S 2.5/5spd) I hate that stupid 'diffuser' up on top. I hate it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ACEofsnett posted:

That is rather novel. I wouldn't mind installing that on my Company Rabbit. (09 S 2.5/5spd) I hate that stupid 'diffuser' up on top. I hate it so much.

I like my diffuser. :colbert:

Anyway, you can get it here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=2.5&model=Golf%20V&submodel=&category=Interior&subcategory=OEM
It's not too much money and a pretty easy install (installation instructions are on the page I linked). It's a company car, but I doubt they'd notice and you can reverse the install/sell the tray when you need to get rid of the car.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
What is the name of the 3.8L in the GN?

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

RealKyleH posted:

What is the name of the 3.8L in the GN?

LC2 I believe it is.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Grimster posted:

LC2 I believe it is.

The chevy 4.3L headers and GN headers both have one offset exhaust port (like a SBC minus the front two or the last two) any idea if they use similar heads? Would header flanges from a GN motor bolt up to a 4.3L and do they have a name for that series of engines?

The LC2 doesn't appear to be similar at all to the Series II 3800 in that respect so I am wondering what motors it shares header flanges with.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
OK, time for some stupid newbie questions about automatic transmissions..

1) Is shifting your transmission into neutral when you stop frowned upon? For example, when I stop at a red light and I know I'll sit there for a while I'll just shift to neutral and leave the car there, and then re-engage D to continue, I do this A LOT... I've heard is bad for the tranny.. the car is a 5 speed AUT 2003 Passat 1.8T

2) Does do any damage?

3) Also whenever the car is cold and I shift from P to D the change is jerky, and it makes a noticeably *thunk, NOW, after a few seconds when the RPM's go down as a result of nominal engine temperature, the change is smooth as usual, is this normal? or is this a sign of changing the transmission oil?

3) Am I an idiot for buying a Passat? and why wont anyone buy it!!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mulligan posted:

1) Is shifting your transmission into neutral when you stop frowned upon?

2) Does do any damage?

1) It won't do any damage. It'll reduce stress on the transmission since when the transmission is in D and you're completely stopped, it will be spinning slightly against the fluid coupling, creating small amounts of heat. In practice, it won't mean a thing. I always put my manual in neutral when stopped because it saves wear on the throwout bearing and lets me relax my left leg, but that's not something you have to worry about :)

2) No, see above.

Garth Vader
Jul 10, 2007

by Peatpot
Has anyone done any comparisons with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe yet? I'm curious to see how it holds up against the 370Z and the recent muscle cars coming out of Detroit.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

Garth Vader posted:

Has anyone done any comparisons with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe yet? I'm curious to see how it holds up against the 370Z and the recent muscle cars coming out of Detroit.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0905_hyundai_genesis_coupe_mustang_fighter_or_cut_price_nissan_370z/index.html

Comparo with the 2010 Mustang and I think 370z also

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KozmoNaut posted:

I always put my manual in neutral when stopped because it saves wear on the throwout bearing and lets me relax my left leg, but that's not something you have to worry about :)

Whenever I drive my folks' cars, I put them in N at lights because I'm not used to having to hold the brake that hard. If I don't hold the brake in D, the car rolls forward; it's just so weird to me after learning how to drive a manual.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Anybody have any idea which track this is?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm getting a P0133 and P0131 on a '97 Mazda 626 (v6). Am I correct in my diagnostic that I need to replace the oxygen sensor located closest to the radiator (for those familiar with the engine)

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

revmoo posted:

I'm getting a P0133 and P0131 on a '97 Mazda 626 (v6). Am I correct in my diagnostic that I need to replace the oxygen sensor located closest to the radiator (for those familiar with the engine)

I think bank 1 on that engine is the most forward one, so whichever sensor is closest to the manifold on the front. Not sure, though.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
I'm a dumbass and managed to break the hook that holds the top part of the side cushion in on my '03 Civic sedan while replacing my rear speakers. Is there anything that I can do to help hold it in place at the top or do I have to replace the whole cushion?

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.
Is there any way to get the gas out of my truck's tank? I need to replace the fuel pump so I figured I'd siphon the gas to lighten the weight of the tank before I drop it, but found out that there's a screen in the filler tube, so I can't get a hose down there. I tried bashing out the screen but no go.

My dad suggested I just nail a hole in the bottom and fill it in again later but that sounds like a recipe for disaster. It's got at least 60 litres in it right now so I'd imagine that's a pretty significant weight added and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use a jack to hold the a 3/4 full tank.

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made

Crouton posted:

Is there any way to get the gas out of my truck's tank?

I've used a hand-operated transfer pump ($10.00 at O'Reilly) hooked onto the nipple at the top of the fuel pickup before. Just take the hose going to the rest of fuel system off and slip the pump's suction hose on.

edit: if the bad pump creates too much resistance when you pump it out you can use the fuel return line also

digger_smolkin fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 29, 2009

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I've got an 85 4 cylinder Fiero and it really has disagreements with alternator/water pump belt. When I first bought it in Februrary the belt broke within a week. Okay, I replaced it and went on my way. Since then I've put about 3500 miles on the car with no issues up until recently when the belt started schreeching like a banshee.
Last night I was about 100 miles from home when the belt came off after squealing some more. I put it back and I was able to drive the 100 miles back home with no issues or screeching. When I started it up to leave tonight, it started squealing again. I drove it for about a mile when I decided to check it. When I checked it out, the belt stretched and wrapped itself around a bolt. The belt was going around three pulleys and this bolt without breaking. It somehow turned itself around so the ribs were on the outside. I took it off and it was warped as a motherfucker. I managed to get it on the right way and it took about 2 seconds to break when I started it. What is going on here?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

/\/\/\Maybe you could take a picture? It sounds like something's not right, but who knows what without looking at it?

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
My friend has a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. Somehow the anti-theft module got soaked in water, leading to all kinds of erratic behavior. When he took it to the shop they said it was going to be a $750 dollar part + labor. Every once in a while he can get it to turn over and it starts fine. Is there a way to just cut that part out. Looking at the schematics the main problem seems to be that it's tied into the ecu and starter locking relay. I assume the relay can be bypassed, but is there any way to find out what signal a normal anti-theft module sends the ecu?

EDIT: Pretty much the thing is he bet me the car that it couldn't be fixed without buying that module. If it doesn't get fixed, he'll probably sell it for scrap.

PapaLazarou fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 29, 2009

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Leperflesh posted:

/\/\/\Maybe you could take a picture? It sounds like something's not right, but who knows what without looking at it?
The belt was thrown into a field in a fit of rage and there aren't any glaring fuckups with the pulleys. When the engine runs none of the pulleys are wobbling or anything like that and they seem to be aligned.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
So I've got this Red 10 fuse in my truck that goes into a slot called "Radio/Air Con" but every time I try to use the AC at the same time as the radio (which is always receiving power while the truck is on), it blows the fuse. Also, the fuse to my interior lights mysteriously blew also. I just fixed them all and it was so nice for a while to have the truck light up inside when I opened the door...

So what should I look at next? Should I just accept the fact that I will never get AC?

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
2000 Dodge Neon

For some reason, on this car, out of the four tires, three if them are perfectly ok, great treadwear and all. but the front passenger tire is bald as all hell.

Good tires (Both Rear and front drivers side look like this)

Bad front passenger side tire

I'm totally at a loss. While driving it, there isn't any noticeable clunking or anything I would attribute to a bad suspension.

I'm not exactly an experienced mechanic, so I dont really know what more to check to be honest. Anyone have a=

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.

TheFrailNinja posted:

So I've got this Red 10 fuse in my truck that goes into a slot called "Radio/Air Con" but every time I try to use the AC at the same time as the radio (which is always receiving power while the truck is on), it blows the fuse. Also, the fuse to my interior lights mysteriously blew also. I just fixed them all and it was so nice for a while to have the truck light up inside when I opened the door...

So what should I look at next? Should I just accept the fact that I will never get AC?

You probably have a short somewhere in your A/C wiring. If the fuse doesn't blow while just the radio is on you can assume its working OK enough. As for the other fuse, maybe just coincidence? Also what kind of Truck?

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

1995 Nissan hardbody (2.4, 5 speed, 180k miles)

Bocklebee
Mar 21, 2008

ate dog two before

Dradien posted:

1 hosed tire, 3 good tires.

Time for an alignment and a front end check. And a new tire, or two.

Bocklebee
Mar 21, 2008

ate dog two before

TheFrailNinja posted:

Just bypass the fuse with a jumper wire. Fuses are for pussies who don't like electrical fires.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Dradien posted:

Bad front passenger side tire

I'm totally at a loss. While driving it, there isn't any noticeable clunking or anything I would attribute to a bad suspension.

I'm not exactly an experienced mechanic, so I dont really know what more to check to be honest. Anyone have a=
That screams bad alignment. Horrifically so. It could be something simple that can be adjusted right out, like massive toe in, or it could be bent suspension parts. Get it to an alignment rack and find out.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My door is rusty as balls. It started to rust through completely from the outside view and from inside the you can see that its rusting as well. I don't know a single thing in terms of fixing this, where do I even start? Bondo, fiberglass, metal? Would it be easier to buy an entirely new door?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TheFrailNinja posted:

So I've got this Red 10 fuse in my truck that goes into a slot called "Radio/Air Con" but every time I try to use the AC at the same time as the radio (which is always receiving power while the truck is on), it blows the fuse.

While a short as mentioned above is likely, let's not overlook the obvious: Is it supposed to be a Red 10 fuse?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Would it be easier to buy an entirely new door?

Unless you're good at welding, it'd probably be cheapest and easiest to just get a new door.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah, I don't have any welding experience whatsoever, haha. Now I just need to track down a right passenger door from a 97-00 Dodge Avenger preferably in the same color. Eclipse and Talon doors fit but they don't have the same trim pieces on the door so it wouldn't match at all. The rust on the second picture is on the fender itself and should be easy to fix though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lord Flashheart posted:

My friend has a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. Somehow the anti-theft module got soaked in water, leading to all kinds of erratic behavior. When he took it to the shop they said it was going to be a $750 dollar part + labor. Every once in a while he can get it to turn over and it starts fine. Is there a way to just cut that part out. Looking at the schematics the main problem seems to be that it's tied into the ecu and starter locking relay. I assume the relay can be bypassed, but is there any way to find out what signal a normal anti-theft module sends the ecu?

EDIT: Pretty much the thing is he bet me the car that it couldn't be fixed without buying that module. If it doesn't get fixed, he'll probably sell it for scrap.
Comfort and convience module?
I think audi may have a recall or campaign on these, it is caused by a combination of poor design and neglect (clogged drains).
Yes, he needs it fixed. And this isn't the tupe of thing your scrap a car over, selling value (running)-scrap value>$750+labor

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lowclock posted:

Unless you're good at welding, it'd probably be cheapest and easiest to just get a new door.

Cheapest No. Best? Yes

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

einTier posted:

That screams bad alignment. Horrifically so. It could be something simple that can be adjusted right out, like massive toe in, or it could be bent suspension parts. Get it to an alignment rack and find out.

I'm going on record to say his Tie-Rod End is worn out.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

daslog posted:

I'm going on record to say his Tie-Rod End is worn out.

How would I go about checking that? Is there any obvious signs of that, besides the massively worn tire?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dradien posted:

How would I go about checking that? Is there any obvious signs of that, besides the massively worn tire?

1) Jack up the car
2) Setup a Jack-stand (or something to prevent the car from falling on you)
3) Shake the wheel from left to right.

The tie rod should not have any free play.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
So I have a stupid question for you... I have a suspission that the dealer is trying to screw me.

My 1999 GMC Jimmy (2Door, Automatic 4WD) is having problems going in reverse. It works fine in Drive, every time, from a cold start. If it's cold, I can't back out of a parking space that's uphill. If it's flat/downsloped I can use gravity to get me rolling and get out fine. By the time I drive 20-30 minutes I get my reverse gear back.

A week or two ago I took it into the dealer to get a diagnosis. He said he'd take a look at it, and call me in a day (pretty busy). He called me the next day and said it was a "problem with reverse clutch" which necessitated "replacing or rebuilding the transmission." Estimated Cost $2500-$3500. Now my question is does this make sense or is he just seeing college kid (Big 10 College Town, anyone under 30 is automatically seen like this) that he thinks he can sucker for mommy and daddy's money?

I am not asking anyone to diagnose a problem sight unseen, I just want to know if there is such a thing as a 'reverse clutch' and if fixing this would require a full transmission rebuild/replacement.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
It may or may not be a clutch problem but pretty much regardless of what the problem is the trans would have to come out, come apart and whatever broken parts replaced which is going to be expensive. Especially at a dealer. Just for them to take it out and put it in without doing anything to it starts at about $400-500. Cheapest way to fix this is problem going to be buying a rebuilt trans yourself online and having a mechanic put it in for you. That will run you the cost of the trans and fluids + 400-500 like I mentioned earlier.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I put my motorcycle away for prolonged storage back in late June last year as I was heading off to Australia. I got back to the US in November and have just recently gotten the bike back from my parents' place. I had them start it up and run it down the street from time to time, but other than that it sat in their garage (under a cover) for 8 months.

Anyway, the front tire is consistently low. It'll hold decent air for a couple days but will flatten out completely after about 3-4 days. The tire is a fairly new Dunlop with less than 3,000 miles probably. Is there a chance that it just needs to be run for a while at good speeds to work itself back onto the bead? I'd rather not have to buy another tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

Molten Llama posted:

While a short as mentioned above is likely, let's not overlook the obvious: Is it supposed to be a Red 10 fuse?

Yes :downs:

• Locked thread