Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Entropic posted:

I remember reading that he had an idea for "Unseen Academicals", a book about the UU faculty starting a football league, but said he didn't want to write it because he actually didn't care for football. Has he gone back on that and decided to actually write it?

As far as I know, yes. He had stated in an interview not long ago that he already had most of the notes for it ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, so the next book is Horsefeathers set in Ankh-Morpork?

Well, he's also working on Raising Taxes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
And assumedly yet another Tiffany Aching book.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I Shall Wear Midnight is the rumored title.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I really liked The Last Continent, but for the wizards of UU, not Rincewind. I agree Rincewind has run his course, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of the wizards at UU by themselves without him around.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How can anyone dislike Mustrum Ridcully and Ponder Stibbons?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Entropic posted:

Those people are dead on the inside.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd love a book all about Stibbons and Ridcully. The interactions between those two are great.

It's about time Stibbons got his own book.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Stibbons and his crazy explanations!

The Archchancelleor's gonna need his medication!

When he hears Stibbons lame exaggerations

There'll be trouble in town tonight!

Haaa

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

For his sins.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mokinokaro posted:

I think that's what Unclear Physics would have been.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Entropic posted:

Don't forget the Bursar.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

precision posted:

Don't forget the Bursar.

And the Dean.

He's such a rebel.

Atargatis
Mar 23, 2007

run, run
her kiss is a vampire grin
I feel ridiculously late to the party, but I've been going through Terry Pratchett's books like candy for the past few weeks. I have loved every single one. Just started on the Light Fantastic (I'm sooo not reading them in order). Also I have a crush on Vimes. :3:

edit: What Discworld book would you recommend to start with? My mom has expressed an interest (and I think she'd really like them), but I want one that will really engage her, and I'm not sure if I should go with the obvious choice of The Colour of Magic.

Atargatis fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 31, 2009

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

euromyne posted:

edit: What Discworld book would you recommend to start with? My mom has expressed an interest (and I think she'd really like them), but I want one that will really engage her, and I'm not sure if I should go with the obvious choice of The Colour of Magic.

Pyramids. It's a standalone so it doesn't gently caress with the chronology of any really important arcs (Rincewind, DEATH, The Watch, Witches) but it eases you into Discworld and the silliness that lives there.

Atargatis
Mar 23, 2007

run, run

ibroxmassive posted:

Pyramids. It's a standalone so it doesn't gently caress with the chronology of any really important arcs (Rincewind, DEATH, The Watch, Witches) but it eases you into Discworld and the silliness that lives there.

Thanks. :) I actually had that one in my 'stack of Discworld books from the library', so I've given it to her and I hope she likes it. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure it's brilliant. Plus, I've told her to blame the internet if she hates it.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

ibroxmassive posted:

Pyramids stands on its own but it isn't his best work. It has an awesome beginning but it rapidly falls out of parody mode and turns more into fantasy.

Interesting Times is the hook for Conan/History fans, Small Gods is the hook for those interested in philosophy and religion and Feet of Clay is a good starting point for Vimes and the City Watch.

All three are Pratchett at his best, and Feet of Clay is probably my favorite for drawing in people who aren't as familiar with the fantasy genre he has made a career of lampooning. The city of Ankh-Morpork is probably Pratchett's best character and it resonates with anyone who has spent any time whatsoever in any metropolis.

Atargatis
Mar 23, 2007

run, run
I forgot about Feet of Clay. I might just give her that one, too, because I am biased and love the Watch something fierce. Plus I've read it and I know it's good... I tried to read Night Watch a few years ago and I couldn't finish it because I was so confused and just couldn't get into it. Then about a month ago I picked up Guards! Guards! and have been hooked. I just don't want what happened with me to happen with her, haha.

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh
Chiming in to say Feet of Clay was the book that got me back into Discworld. One of my favorite scenes with Sgt. Colon is in that book, where he's hanging onto a ledge for dear life:

Corporal Buggy Swires: It's all about being the right size really. I mean a mouse could fall that far and only be stunned. I could survive with a few cuts and bruises. You'll make a big mess, And I imagine an elephant would...

Sergeant Fred Colon: Oh gods! :cry:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
There's definitely a generational change coming to the Disc, whether or not he'll actually write it. As Susan goes on, she's becoming more and more accepting of her duties; Vimes is definitely getting Too Old For This poo poo (though if anyone's being lined up for Watch Commissioner, I'd say it's Angua, not Carrot); Esme is explicitly the Undefeated Heavyweight Champion of the Disc, with Tiffany lined up to (one day, not soon, but One Day) be the Hag o' Hags; Ponder has his own, super-important and super-hilarious, department; and, of course, Moist is Moist.

The last few books have definitely felt cuspy, is what I'm saying. If I must, I'd point to the Glass Clock Moment as an explicit turning-point in the series, with its numerous succession moments (cherry trees fruiting, Lobsang taking over, Susan finding someone) and its connection to Night Watch, which is the start of a new chapter in Vimes' life.

On another, but connected note, an Esme/Havelock staredown would be epic. A multi-hour staredown that ends in a pair of smirks and silent compromise

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

euromyne posted:

I forgot about Feet of Clay. I might just give her that one, too, because I am biased and love the Watch something fierce. Plus I've read it and I know it's good... I tried to read Night Watch a few years ago and I couldn't finish it because I was so confused and just couldn't get into it. Then about a month ago I picked up Guards! Guards! and have been hooked. I just don't want what happened with me to happen with her, haha.

I find Night Watch works far better after reading everything before it in the Watch series, the Death series and then Thief of Time. Thief of Time is more enjoyable after Death's tales (though reading just Mort and Hogfather would work) and Night Watch's ties to Thief make it so much more enjoyable with knowledge of the latter.

Atargatis
Mar 23, 2007

run, run

Mokinokaro posted:

I find Night Watch works far better after reading everything before it in the Watch series, the Death series and then Thief of Time. Thief of Time is more enjoyable after Death's tales (though reading just Mort and Hogfather would work) and Night Watch's ties to Thief make it so much more enjoyable with knowledge of the latter.

Yeah, after I read Guards! Guards! I went through and read all the Watch books in order. I really enjoyed Night Watch (I got about 100 pages or so in the first time around before I gave up) :) I had been told before that they were fairly easy to just drop in the middle of, but yeah... not with some of the arcs.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Test Pattern posted:

There's definitely a generational change coming to the Disc, whether or not he'll actually write it. As Susan goes on, she's becoming more and more accepting of her duties; Vimes is definitely getting Too Old For This poo poo (though if anyone's being lined up for Watch Commissioner, I'd say it's Angua, not Carrot); Esme is explicitly the Undefeated Heavyweight Champion of the Disc, with Tiffany lined up to (one day, not soon, but One Day) be the Hag o' Hags; Ponder has his own, super-important and super-hilarious, department; and, of course, Moist is Moist.

The last few books have definitely felt cuspy, is what I'm saying. If I must, I'd point to the Glass Clock Moment as an explicit turning-point in the series, with its numerous succession moments (cherry trees fruiting, Lobsang taking over, Susan finding someone) and its connection to Night Watch, which is the start of a new chapter in Vimes' life.

I can get behind this. I've had similar thoughts too, but only with respect to Vetinari and Vimes, as I've mostly read (and re-read, over and over) the 'Watch' and 'Moist' books of late. In particular I agree with your take on Angua. I couldn't help but get the impression in recent 'Watch' books that of all competent officers in the Watch, Angua is closest to Vimes.

Likewise, Vetinari is definitely grooming Moist. For an eventual leadership role? Well Vetinari knows he won't be around forever, and the Discworld is changing, and Ankh-Morpork in particular thrives. Vetinari may feel that this 'new Ankh-Morpork' would benefit from a leader who can still manipulate people at need, but in a different manner than Vetinari traditionally has. But rather than any 'big bang' approach, where suddenly Moist is the patrician, its like Moist is being 'phased in' slowly. I can almost imagine over time more and more departments of the State being assigned to him, until he almost has a kind of de-facto leadership role (at least from the public's perspective), with Vetinari still exerting influence on Moist behind the scenes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Test Pattern posted:

On another, but connected note, an Esme/Havelock staredown would be epic. A multi-hour staredown that ends in a pair of smirks and silent compromise

Actually, I don't think even Vetinari could stand up to Esme. Every time he tried to be sneaky or say something to trick her, she'd roll her eyes and say "That's just headology".

It would be a great scene because I think she is the only person who could befuddle him.

As to the Watch, I don't think that the way A-M is evolving demands a new Vimes; the new A-M needs a Carrot, which is, I think, the whole point of why he is such an effective officer in the more recent Watch books. Vimes is a relic of the Olde Fantasy Dayes, when you had to wrangle shadowy thieves out from gutters; Carrot understands that the most important and prominent crimes in the New Era are being committed by Men Of Power who are used to thinking they can outwit the Watch in plain sight.

I just realised that Carrot is actually kind of the exact same as Vetinari, except in a sort of opposite direction which gets the same results in a similarly deadpan way. Perhaps this is intentional.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So basically a Carrot-Moist task force would be unstoppable.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Pope Guilty posted:

So basically a Carrot-Moist task force would be unstoppable.

Haven't you been listening? A task force consisting of EVERYONE ON THE DISC still could be stopped by Esme Weatherwax.

Also. Carrot is pathologically honest, and is so simple that he's brilliant. Moist is a pathological liar, and is so cunning that he is stupid. I kind of imagine that if Carrot and Moist shook hands with one another, there would be a catastrophic explosion, converting them both into various jets of relativistic particles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
After reading both the Watch and Death series I've started reading Rincewind.

Colour of Magic + Light Fantastic were quite good though definitely not the same style as pTerry's later books. Sourcery was merely decent (Conina was hilarious but the book suffers from bad pacing and stretches without any jokes.)

Didn't find Eric that bad and I'm 1/3rd of the way through Interesting Times. It has the same problem I had with Reaper Man in that the plot takes a while to start moving. It's great stuff once it does.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 1, 2009

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Some town in Somerset is naming streets after the streets in Ankh-Morpork.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/somerset/7984118.stm
You could live on Treacle Mine Road!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Entropic posted:

"Honey, I was coming home from the grocery and there's a new sign at the entrance to our neighborhood."
"Oh, yes, I saw! The Shades! Sounds classy, doesn't it?"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If they open a Pork Futures warehouse be afraid. Be very afraid.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mokinokaro posted:

If they open a Pork Futures warehouse be afraid. Be very afraid.

In the next Moist book, the Discworld economy is going to collapse when Pork Futures turn out to be based on bad investments made with credit default swaps on subprime reannual crop farms! And all the Guilds are going to be pestering Vetinari for huge multi-billion AM$ bailouts! :haw:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Finished reading the thread, and I'm about 20 books into Discworld. Read the first 15ish, did all of the Watch books in order, same with Moist. I really didn't realize how much I liked Vetinari until Going Postal. All of his exchanges with Moist were everything I could have hoped for. Certainly more than I could get from Vimes ("Sir.")

A few things...

I wonder what Carrot is really about. Many allusions are made about him having to be really complex to be so simple. He has killed without warning and just shrugged it off. In fact, if it wasn't for him getting beat up at Uberwald, I would have still had this imagine in my mind that it was impossible to harm him. (And I'm not counting the other pant-leg in the Trouser of Time during Jango... that was way too weird for me.)

As for Rincewind, I'm glad he changed. Being constantly on the run does that to you, I suppose. I think he even started his own religion and has a small god somewhere based on running away, but I could be mistaken.

Hey, what ever happened to the elephants at the end of Moving Pictures? All of those elephants, Terry could have at least included a "Elephant Road" in the later books.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lpzie posted:

I wonder what Carrot is really about. Many allusions are made about him having to be really complex to be so simple. He has killed without warning and just shrugged it off.

I always thought of him as a fairly obvious "Superman in a Clark Kent disguise" character.

Juice Packets
Sep 22, 2005

They're Handy But They Leak Like Fuck!™

Entropic posted:

I wonder if Councillor Winder is homicidal?

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

DontMockMySmock posted:

Haven't you been listening? A task force consisting of EVERYONE ON THE DISC still could be stopped by Esme Weatherwax.
Him who witches defeat him no
Him diamond :c00lbert:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I love anything about Diamond. The gradual build up to him, the chants, the writings on the wall and the big reveal, it was all great.

Regarding Carrot, yeah I'd love to see more on him but when Carrot's plot advances it really looks like it's going to drag the whole of AM kicking and screaming into a new direction.

Or at least it looked like that until Moist began taking a big role in the shaping of AM and Carrot got less and less time in the Watch books since TFE. I honestly don't think we'll get a resolution to Carrot's story now, partly because I can't see it going the way of us getting a proper "last" Disc book.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the Diamond plot was great. One of the best parts of Thud!

Finally starting Thief of Time and it's been an incredible read so far. It's a tie between this and Small Gods for my favourite Discworld book, think.

Lu Tze is just plain awesome now that we get to see a lot of him and what makes him tick (no pun intended.)

And I believe Carrot is a red herring. There's all of these hints about there being something bigger to him, but it's all about something he simply doesn't want. He's happy just being Captain. I'd still like another classic Watch book, though, mostly for more Carrot, Nobbs, Angua and Detritus.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mokinokaro posted:

And I believe Carrot is a red herring. There's all of these hints about there being something bigger to him, but it's all about something he simply doesn't want. He's happy just being Captain. I'd still like another classic Watch book, though, mostly for more Carrot, Nobbs, Angua and Detritus.

Hints? I'm pretty sure Men at Arms, I think it is, implies, if not says, Carrot is pretty obviously the heir to the throne, but is happy where he is, and though he was originally a naive country dwarf, now his personality is just an act because people like him better that way, and he probably likes himself better that way as opposed to the way Ankh-Morpork has corrupted him.

mewlink64
Apr 6, 2009
I've read all but 3-5 of Terry Pratchett's books, old stuff, new stuff, etc. He was my favorite writer. It seems now, that the more stuff I read from other writers, I'm loving Discworld less and less. I still like it a lot, but I just feel myself falling out of fantasy, his included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bewilderment posted:

Hints? I'm pretty sure Men at Arms, I think it is, implies, if not says, Carrot is pretty obviously the heir to the throne, but is happy where he is

There are more "hints" than that; Carrot is most definitely the heir.

wikipedia posted:

In The Fifth Elephant, when faced with the defection of most members of the Watch, Carrot puts his royal sword on a desk in plain sight and reminds Watch members that they had taken an oath to the King, and that the King had not relieved them of it.