Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
If you have a 220V dryer/generator outlet and its single phase hook it up to that. You can get the electrical connectors cheap on ebay. (I got 220 3ph conectors for 1/4 the price of home depot and they work perfectly fine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

RealKyleH posted:

If you have a 220V dryer/generator outlet and its single phase hook it up to that. You can get the electrical connectors cheap on ebay. (I got 220 3ph conectors for 1/4 the price of home depot and they work perfectly fine)

Could I bother you to give me an ebay link to what you're talking about, because I have no idea and searching on ebay is not helping me at all. I do have a dryer outlet in the garage we're not using, so I think that'll work if I can get it connected to that. I'll try to take photos of everything today.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 29, 2009

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Nevermind...

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 29, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Korwen posted:

Could I bother you to give me an ebay link to what you're talking about, because I have no idea and searching on ebay is not helping me at all. I do have a dryer outlet in the garage we're not using, so I think that'll work if I can get it connected to that. I'll try to take photos of everything today.

I'd need to know what kind of plug you have.

This is what I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/L14-30-Locking-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Along with 10-4 wire at almost half the price of ace hardware.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

So my motorcycle jack came from HF on Friday. I didn't even realized it had been shipped. Anyway, the jack is VERY high quality for what I paid for it. Assembly was a bit of a whore, but once it was all together, it felt much more stable than the Craftsman jack at my parents' place. Very nice for $75.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Might be really obvious but if you use a california water blade to dry your car make sure to clean the blade from time to time. I found some nice scratches I put on my paint from some grit stuck to the blade. :( Luckily they polished out reasonably well.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

We can't use this online I am assuming?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

ASSTASTIC posted:

We can't use this online I am assuming?

Correct, they usually have a $5 off coupon code floating around though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I wired my Compressor direct to my fuse box with some 10/3 I had. I love it. 220volts is great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Picked this up for 99 cents:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

mod sassinator posted:

Picked this up for 99 cents:

Why?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

RealKyleH posted:

Why?

It's kind of goofy?

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

RealKyleH posted:

Why?

Because the "I'd rather be shopping at snapon.com" one was twelve dollars.

But it was made of blue anodized billet aluminum and came with a "built for mod sassinator" plaque.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I gotta get one of those for my truck. Awesome.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ha! I gotta get one of those for the truck.

AKA "don't bother breaking in and stealing my tools"

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Speaking of which, free 6-pc screwdriver set for going in and getting on the mailing list.*

*You should do this anyway.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I got a Harbor Freight flyer with a coupon for $160 off 499.99 for this roller chest. If I can find a 20% off coupon to use along with it this weekend, I think I'll pick it up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90320

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Jonny 290 posted:

Ha! I gotta get one of those for the truck.

AKA "don't bother breaking in and stealing my tools"

That's an awesome idea.

Problem is it would only deter professional/career criminals.

The local crackhead isn't going to give a poo poo, they'll break in* to steal a empty pack of cigarettes.

*-Typically by smashing open the window of an unlocked door.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I got a Harbor Freight flyer with a coupon for $160 off 499.99 for this roller chest. If I can find a 20% off coupon to use along with it this weekend, I think I'll pick it up.

Done
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...99&keycode=0000

Weissbier
Apr 8, 2007
good for the soul

sideshowalan posted:

I bought these to change all 4 of my struts out last month. They appear to be identical to the Craftsman compressor for much cheaper. They worked like a champ, didn't bend or bow or make me feel nervous.

Thanks. I placed an order for this and got it in yesterday.

Next items on the list are some hand wrenches and a torque wrench. I figure craftsman for the torque wrench and possibly Harbor Freight for the wrenches. I don't remember anyone commenting about HB wrenches - any thoughts?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Weissbier posted:

Next items on the list are some hand wrenches and a torque wrench. I figure craftsman for the torque wrench and possibly Harbor Freight for the wrenches. I don't remember anyone commenting about HB wrenches - any thoughts?

Torque wrenches are one of the few tools that it pays to buy quality for the home DIY type people if you actually need a torque wrench for something other than being a human being and using them to put on wheels or something. I'd put ratchet wrenches in the "buy quality" category too if you do any kind of regular work with your stuff at home.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Weissbier posted:

Avoid craftsman torque wrenches. I've had two, and they really like to break.

Go for Proto or the like. eBay generally has a ton of Proto torque wrenches.

Weissbier
Apr 8, 2007
good for the soul
How about Home Depot's Husky brand? I read on the intarweb it's made by the sane group that Sears use to have make their craftsman brand.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Weissbier posted:

I got a craftsman torque wrench that's brand new for $20+ship if you want it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Proto is awesome. Their bigger torque wrenches are certified for military/aerospace and oil industry use.

It's a great tool without the "snap on tax".

I got 3-4 of them, including a used 3/4" 600 ft lb model that I use for Humvee frame and suspension parts and it was still in spec when I got it shipped from some dudes ebay auction.

MSC sells them new if you want to go that route.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Weissbier posted:

How about Home Depot's Husky brand? I read on the intarweb it's made by the sane group that Sears use to have make their craftsman brand.

Maybe, but Craftsman hand tools are still made in the USA by the vendor, Husky is made in China.

I know that craftsman electrical gear is is re branded Ryobi product.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I just picked one of those up.

In an MS3.

I forgot to bring the truck. I was able to close the hatch too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Don't expect that to work. The 20% off coupon says its not applicable with any other coupon, the computer automatically deletes it once you shoot another coupon.
Nonetheless, 20% off 399.99 is amazing.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Are the harbor freight MIG welders worth my time? I am closing on a house (with garage! :q: ) here at the end of the month, and god drat if I dont want a welder to gently caress around with.

I'll be pretty broke though, furnishing a house coming from a condo and whatnot, so its either cheap MIG from HF now, or wait a while and get something quality.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Walked posted:

Are the harbor freight MIG welders worth my time? I am closing on a house (with garage! :q: ) here at the end of the month, and god drat if I dont want a welder to gently caress around with.

I'll be pretty broke though, furnishing a house coming from a condo and whatnot, so its either cheap MIG from HF now, or wait a while and get something quality.
Wait and get something better. I've used 3 HF MIGs, and only one of them was remotely capable of laying a decent bead. I have the HF TIG, and its usable, but very limited in capability due to the lack of HF start (its scratch start only).

You can get a pretty decent used Miller 110v unit for around $400 OR a new Hobart for the same money (and hobart is owned and MFRd by Miller, just overseas), and since you'll own the garage, you can wire in 220v, and step up to a larger unit for another hundred or so.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Hypnolobster posted:

What about regular socket wrenches? Is Proto a good brand for them? My Craftsman socket wrench is already on its way out and Ive got a lot of work to do on my car this summer..

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dyscrasia posted:

What about regular socket wrenches? Is Proto a good brand for them? My Craftsman socket wrench is already on its way out and Ive got a lot of work to do on my car this summer..

You mean ratchets?
Proto, S-K, Cornwell, and of course the major tool truck brands (snapon, Mac, Matco, etc) will all hold up very well. Just remember to disassemble them once in a while and clean/lube them up. I use Lucas Oil Stabilizer to lube, it makes them nearly noiseless, and very smooth.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Wait and get something better. I've used 3 HF MIGs, and only one of them was remotely capable of laying a decent bead. I have the HF TIG, and its usable, but very limited in capability due to the lack of HF start (its scratch start only).

You can get a pretty decent used Miller 110v unit for around $400 OR a new Hobart for the same money (and hobart is owned and MFRd by Miller, just overseas), and since you'll own the garage, you can wire in 220v, and step up to a larger unit for another hundred or so.

:smith:

This is why I asked though. Guess I'll keep an eye on craigslist for a while, $500 isnt too bad if I can find one.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

sharkytm posted:

You mean ratchets?
Proto, S-K, Cornwell, and of course the major tool truck brands (snapon, Mac, Matco, etc) will all hold up very well. Just remember to disassemble them once in a while and clean/lube them up. I use Lucas Oil Stabilizer to lube, it makes them nearly noiseless, and very smooth.

Thanks,

And yes, I meant ratchets. Its early and I need some coffee I guess.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Walked posted:

:smith:

This is why I asked though. Guess I'll keep an eye on craigslist for a while, $500 isnt too bad if I can find one.

http://store.cyberweld.com/hobmigwel.html
Brand-y new 115v unit for $529, you'd need a gas cylinder and a regulator though.

You should definitely look in the used market. There are a lot of quality machines out there for reasonable money.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...22&keycode=0000

20% this week

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Hypnolobster posted:

My Craftsman torque wrench is really good, better than a new Snap-On. Did I mention its older than me :(

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What's a better 12v tire-inflator compressor?

I've had several of the $15 coleman or campbell hausfeld cheapy things and they take 30mins to add a few PSI and then they quit working after using them 3 or 4 times.

something that will inflate quicker and last. Hopefully not have to be turned off for a cool-down every few minutes either.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Are these a good deal for a torque wrench?
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tls/1117912216.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/1119409838.html
I'm sick of using my $10 beam-type wrench.

I'd also like to invest in a medium quality battery impact gun (drill? dunno what to call it) for quickly unmounting and mounting wheels. The rally team I volunteered for had one and it made swapping wheels much much faster. Set to some low torque threshold, and finish off with the torque wrench. Any model recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wagonburner posted:

What's a better 12v tire-inflator compressor?

I've had several of the $15 coleman or campbell hausfeld cheapy things and they take 30mins to add a few PSI and then they quit working after using them 3 or 4 times.

something that will inflate quicker and last. Hopefully not have to be turned off for a cool-down every few minutes either.
Try shops catering to the off-road market, they tend to have beefier compressors available for guys who air their tyres down frequently. More expensive, but probably what you're looking for.