Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ZoneAlarm using 82% of your CPU time might be trying to tell you something. Are you it's not actively blocking anything, or you're transmitting a buttload of packets to keyloggers.ru or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rootkit.KInject: Why does my computer keep talking to freecreditcards.ru?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Possibly screwed up zonealarm, vsmon is whats killing the cpu.

Google indicates this is a common problem with a few potential fixes floating around. I'd just go for a reinstall of it for the best odds at fixing it.

EDIT: wow, didn't see there was another page past that post, already answered :doh:

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006
Conficker's detectable by nmap btw - nmap -PN -d -p 445 --script=smb-check-vulns --script-args=safe=1 1.2.3.4

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Elected by Dogs posted:

Conficker's detectable by nmap btw - nmap -PN -d -p 445 --script=smb-check-vulns --script-args=safe=1 1.2.3.4

All well and good, but I suspect the vast majority of infections are going to be on home computers and not under the watchful eye of someone experienced enough to know what nmap does.

I'm hoping ISPs can do something similar and find infected machines remotely (assuming they're not NAT'd or anything like that).

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

darkforce898 posted:

The university I work for is having a problem with DNS changer viruses and they are not fun at all. They seem to all be Trojan.Flush.M but they aren't at all. None of the files are the same, but they have the exact same symptoms.

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/03/new-version-of-dns-server-trojan-flushm-spotted-in-the-pipe.ars

Seems to be exactly what they have but I can't get any removal information. The onyl thing that has been found has been through GMER and is a rootkit called 'gaopdxserv.sys'. Unfortunatly this can only be deleted through a recovery console or through another operating system. This isn't really a good solution and doesn't have anything to do with Flush.M.

The only thing I can think of is that the rootkit is hiding the files of the Flush.M virus and we need to remove the rootkit first. Another cool thing is that MAlwarebytes will not run at all. It installed fine but it crashed on load, even when changing the name of the process.
Natch that, combofix cleans that up no problem. Why do I say that? It did so yesterday.

code:
ComboFix 09-03-29.04 - mkurz 2009-03-30 15:06:54.1 - NTFSx86
Microsoft Windows XP Professional  5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.2014.1653 [GMT -4:00]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\mkurz\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
AV: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated)
 * Resident AV is active

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((   Other Deletions   )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat
c:\recycler\S-3-1-97-100002785-100028334-100021387-1376.com
c:\windows\system32\drivers\gaopdxraoknskiragrftumcmnigolyhuwgssuj.sys
c:\windows\system32\gaopdxcounter
c:\windows\system32\gaopdxtvjjxvdfcysgktanjyphpnrkdwhlcxqv.dll
Worked for me yesterday. Sad, since I was enjoying all the Women's Day and Elle pages I was getting.

Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

Well, I tried rebooting in safe and using ComboFix. It didn't kill my computer this time, and it deleted a bunch of stuff:

code:
ComboFix 09-03-29.04 - User 2009-03-30 22:52:48.1 - NTFSx86 MINIMAL
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic   6.0.6001.1.1252.1.1033.18.2814.2241 [GMT -4:00]
Running from: c:\users\User\Pictures\renamed.exe

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((   Other Deletions   )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

c:\windows\system32\crreuirq.ini
c:\windows\System32\JmSsDcdd.ini
c:\windows\System32\JmSsDcdd.ini2
c:\windows\System32\knWxGMoq.ini
c:\windows\System32\knWxGMoq.ini2
c:\windows\system32\MpXaaGgh.ini
c:\windows\system32\MpXaaGgh.ini2
c:\windows\system32\uovlghch.ini
c:\windows\system32\uxhmilno.ini
---- Previous Run -------
c:\programdata\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat
c:\programdata\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat
c:\windows\system32\crreuirq.ini
c:\windows\System32\JmSsDcdd.ini
c:\windows\System32\JmSsDcdd.ini2
c:\windows\System32\knWxGMoq.ini
c:\windows\System32\knWxGMoq.ini2
c:\windows\system32\MpXaaGgh.ini
c:\windows\system32\MpXaaGgh.ini2
c:\windows\system32\uovlghch.ini
c:\windows\system32\uxhmilno.ini
The thing is, Spyware Doctor still sees TDSServ, and not only that, but it's picked up signatures of an unidentified, low-risk Trojan that wasn't popping up before.

I tried running Avira, MalwareBytes, GMER, and - in desperation - Windows Defender. No hits in the registry where Spyware Doctor sees TDS. Is it possible that it quarantined the files without telling me?

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

The Man with a Hat posted:

The thing is, Spyware Doctor still sees TDSServ, and not only that, but it's picked up signatures of an unidentified, low-risk Trojan that wasn't popping up before.

I tried running Avira, MalwareBytes, GMER, and - in desperation - Windows Defender. No hits in the registry where Spyware Doctor sees TDS. Is it possible that it quarantined the files without telling me?

I just went back to check on your previous post to figure out what was going on. Half your problem is likely to be the program reporting the problem, since I'm not aware of any worthwhile programs that will find malware, but not remove it unless you pay them money; that reads almost exactly, point for point, like how Antivirus 2009 spreads. I'd recommend uninstalling the thing (though if I'm reading this right, you already paid money to 'upgrade'?), even if it does turn out to be vaguely legitimate, on the grounds that their webpage is ugly and their business model is shady. Also, they're stupid and their faces are dumb.

Find another computer. Put the hard drive from your old computer into the new computer as a secondary drive - do not boot from the old hard drive, boot from the new one. In this operating system -- which is presumably uninfected -- run whatever virus and malware scanners you'd like on the old hard drive. Preferably MalwareBytes or SAS, something that doesn't make you pay to remove what it's already found.

If system files are fine, you've just fixed your system. If not, you've got a clear and simple course ahead of you of moving documents and necessary files, then reinstalling a clean copy of Windows.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
My aforementioned problems with logging in keep persisting. Today to the extent of not getting a successful log-in in normal mode (or, Test Mode as it's called now) at all. Safe Mode still works, though.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zuffox posted:

My aforementioned problems with logging in keep persisting. Today to the extent of not getting a successful log-in in normal mode (or, Test Mode as it's called now) at all. Safe Mode still works, though.

I can't remember - Have you run Combofix? If any of your system files are infected (I've seen explorer.exe, userinit.exe, and a slew of others capable of carrying an infection) then Combofix will alert you with the log file.

If you have and the log file didn't tell you anything new, did you try Hijack-This?

Post the log files and let's see what turns up.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Even though the software is pretty self explanatory, I thought I'd share the best method I've come up with on running Combofix.

Step 0: Put Combofix on a thumbdrive, and insert thumbdrive.
Step 1: Turn on computer, press F8, boot into safe mode.
Step 2: Do not hit "OK" to the safe mode warning - let that popup stay on the screen, but move it aside. You don't want to let explorer load.
Step 3: CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to TaskMan, and go to File - New Task
Step 4: Click browse, and find your thumbdrive
Step 5: Copy/Paste combofix.exe to C:
Step 6: Rename to "c:\cf.exe"
Step 7: Run (from TaskMan) cf.exe.
Step 8: Close TaskMan.

As CF is running, it may reload the Safe Mode gui - just ignore it again. If Combofix has to restart your computer, follow these same directions - ideally, you'll catch it before it reboots so you can get it into safemode. It'll display the safe mode gui again - remember to ignore it.

Finally, after it displays your log file, CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to task man, New Task, and launch explorer - you're back in business.

I've been using this method for a few weeks and it constantly surprises me how many systems I can bring back from the dead with it. Safe mode (and not letting explorer run) is your friend. Use it wisely.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Otacon posted:

I can't remember - Have you run Combofix? If any of your system files are infected (I've seen explorer.exe, userinit.exe, and a slew of others capable of carrying an infection) then Combofix will alert you with the log file.

If you have and the log file didn't tell you anything new, did you try Hijack-This?

Post the log files and let's see what turns up.
It's unsupported on Vista 64, unfortunately. At least the last time I tried. Appreciate your elaborate guidance, though. :)

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zuffox posted:

It's unsupported on Vista 64, unfortunately. At least the last time I tried. Appreciate your elaborate guidance, though. :)

Oh. 64 bit. Right.

I've officially got nothing. Apologies.

Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

Well, I checked around, and it looks like the Spyware Doctor program is legit. The company is even working with Symantec.

When I was checking, though, I found this...

Wikipedia posted:

Spyware Doctor is not free, but a free scan version is offered, providing real-time protection and scans for spyware. Only the full version is capable of removing spyware (though a user can use the free version to locate where the spyware is and then manually remove the files and registry entries themselves).

...I'm kinda tempted, but I don't want to ruin my computer. Here are the hits that Spyware Doctor picks up.

Do they look just about right for a TDS infection? Or is Spyware Doctor an elaborate hoax?

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Do they look just about right for a TDS infection? Or is Spyware Doctor an elaborate hoax?

Can you navigate to http://safety.live.com ?

Nuke
Jan 19, 2004

I'll never stop smuggling grapes

Looks like an infection to me. Spyware Doctor has been around for 3-4 years, Geek Squad uses its engines in part of its automated virus removal.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Well, I checked around, and it looks like the Spyware Doctor program is legit. The company is even working with Symantec.

When I was checking, though, I found this...

...I'm kinda tempted, but I don't want to ruin my computer. Here are the hits that Spyware Doctor picks up.

PCtools and Spyware Doctor have been around for a really long time. I used to have a subscription for it with the anti-virus edition, it's a good program really.

https://www.pctools.com

Legios
Mar 15, 2003

taiyoko posted:

As I said, nothing seemed particularly out of place at first glance.

I'll try that when he logs back on. It's a bit frustrating having to do everything via AIM.

I used to use logmein, I now use Crossloop for all my remote fixing things.
https://www.crossloop.com

All it needs is Email registration to download.

Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

Well, I downloaded HijackThis, and got a log. Not really sure what I should be looking for, but there are a couple of suspicious lines. It's kinda lengthy... would anybody be able to give me an opinion, if I posted it?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Well, I downloaded HijackThis, and got a log. Not really sure what I should be looking for, but there are a couple of suspicious lines. It's kinda lengthy... would anybody be able to give me an opinion, if I posted it?

Yep! That's why it has that log - to post to other knowledgeable people and get their opinions.

Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

Excellent. Thanks for all your help.

code:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:58:13 PM, on 3/31/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\System32\smss.exe
C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wininit.exe
C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe
C:\Windows\system32\services.exe
C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe
C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMYPRT.EXE
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4\OpWareSE4.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\dvd43\DVD43_Tray.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\regmech.exe
C:\Windows\system32\AEADISRV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Windows\system32\PSIService.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = [url]http://www.google.ca/[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157[/url]
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = 
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1CB20BF0-BBAE-40A7-93F4-6435FF3D0411} - C:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\ctbr.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.3572\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Crawler Toolbar - {4B3803EA-5230-4DC3-A7FC-33638F3D3542} - C:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\ctbr.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenu] C:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4\OpwareSE4.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvd43] C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "c:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RocketDock] "C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RegistryMechanic] C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\RMTray.exe /H
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Crawler Search - tbr:iemenu
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix: 
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: tbr - {4D25FB7A-8902-4291-960E-9ADA051CFBBF} - C:\PROGRA~1\Crawler\ctbr.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Andrea ADI Filters Service (AEADIFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\AEADISRV.EXE
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: BCPCZJWSGKCC - Unknown owner - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\BCPCZJWSGKCC.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe

--
End of file - 10129 bytes

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, I've been getting a lot of email regarding Conficker.

I got links to removal tools, network scans, etc.

I'm told that I will be on-call for a few of our clients tomorrow.

My friend sent me a bunch of text messages saying he's on call for his place tomorrow as well.

From the looks of it, Microsoft posted a fix to the exploit back in October 2008.
Wouldn't that mean the update has been available on Windows Updates since November?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

First: You should avoid having two different virus scanners on your computer. Stick with Avast, uninstall Avira.

Second: what is that crawler program?

Third: While Spyware Doctor is a legit program, I don't see the need to have all these programs on startup. I mean: SuperAnti Spyware, Registry Mechanic, and Spyware Doctor? That's a bit overboard. I personally run MalwareBytes and Avast - that's it. You might still be in diagnostic mode and just trying everything under the sun to get to your problem, so I don't know. But, still - having two anti-virus programs is like wearing 2 condoms - it seems like a great idea, but it usually ends in tears.

Fourth: Your running processes all check out, but these are safe to remove:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O8 - Extra context menu item: Crawler Search - tbr:iemenu
O23 - Service: BCPCZJWSGKCC - Unknown owner - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\BCPCZJWSGKCC.exe (file missing)
[/code]

From what HJT tells me, your tools found and removed the viruses - anything that says (no file) was an infected file that was removed. Give MalwareBytes a try (if you haven't already) and let us know if it finds anything else. From the look of that HJT log, you aren't infected - just running horribly slow with all those processes.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 1, 2009

Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

Otacon posted:

First: You should avoid having two different virus scanners on your computer. Stick with Avast, uninstall Avira.

Second: what is that crawler program?

Third: While Spyware Doctor is a legit program, I don't see the need to have all these programs on startup. I mean: SuperAnti Spyware, Registry Mechanic, and Spyware Doctor? That's a bit overboard.

Thanks. Crawler's just a plugin that warns me away from potentially dangerous websites. As for all the scanners, I figured that piling on the protection would be a good idea. Guess not. :downs: I had a Virtumonde scare about a year ago, so I went kind of overboard finding a solution.

vvv Gotcha, thanks again.

Tsercele fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 1, 2009

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Thanks. Crawler's just a plugin that warns me away from potentially dangerous websites. As for all the scanners, I figured that piling on the protection would be a good idea. Guess not. :downs: I had a Virtumonde scare about a year ago, so I went kind of overboard finding a solution.

Dammit! I just edited my post, and was hoping for a ninja-edit. Oh well. Just give it a re-read - I researched a lot of those "iffy" ones on Google, and have removed a lot that I wasn't sure about.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I've officially given up on ESET's support. Will likely do a format, but goshdarnit, I'll have to do a backup, and some malware might make it to the backup drive.

Any last hints and help?

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Zuffox posted:

I've officially given up on ESET's support. Will likely do a format, but goshdarnit, I'll have to do a backup, and some malware might make it to the backup drive.

Any last hints and help?

Pull the drive from the infected machine, drop it in an enclosure attached to another machine, scan it from there.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I had this lovely email (slightly edited) when I came in this morning. The time on the email was 3:21 AM.

quote:

I initiated the Trend Scan on all machines. PC05 computer is INFECTED!!!! [emhpasis hers] Notice states "0 files cleaned, 11 infected and unable to fix".

WORM_WALEDAC.CN UNABLE TO DELETE
TROJ_TDSS.DB UNABLE TO DELETE
TROJ_BHO.VW UNABLE TO DELETE
TROJ_TDSS.FA UNABLE TO DELETE
TROJ_TDSS.NP UNABLE TO DELETE
TROJ_TDSS.EB UNABLE TO DELETE
TROJ_TDSS.FB UNABLE TO DELETE
TROJ_TDSS.FC UNABLE TO DELETE
TROJ_TDSS.NP UNABLE TO DELETE

Please Help ASAP!!! I did not perform back up for fear of infecting anything further [wtf!]... Please call my cell when you receive this email.
Funny thing is, I checked the OfficeScan Server Console and found the virus reports, but when I checked the locations via c$, none of the files reported were present. I hate Trend.

I never called her, either.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Midelne posted:

Pull the drive from the infected machine, drop it in an enclosure attached to another machine, scan it from there.
Which programs would you recommend? I've tried them all on the laptop itself (some online scanners that didn't work aside), and naught was caught.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Zuffox posted:

Which programs would you recommend? I've tried them all on the laptop itself (some online scanners that didn't work aside), and naught was caught.

Oh, pretty much anything. SUPERAntispyware, MalwareBytes, AVG Free, whatever you get your hands on. Scanning a drive that's not being booted from, in a clean operating system environment, is a much less challenging task for a scanner than playing hide and seek with rootkits using potentially compromised tools to do the checking.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Well, saw my first instance of MS Antivirus; it was on a public computer used to sign up for timeslots for advising or something; anyway, I never knew how evil it was. Of course, I'm assuming that it's totally unrelated to the "www.sexyteensluts.biz" and "www.hairydykes.net" that I noticed in the search history. :rolleyes:

Is it hard to get off a computer, or are the computer janitors in charge going to have a real fun time getting rid of it?

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

CraigK posted:

Well, saw my first instance of MS Antivirus; it was on a public computer used to sign up for timeslots for advising or something; anyway, I never knew how evil it was. Of course, I'm assuming that it's totally unrelated to the "www.sexyteensluts.biz" and "www.hairydykes.net" that I noticed in the search history. :rolleyes:

Is it hard to get off a computer, or are the computer janitors in charge going to have a real fun time getting rid of it?

It really isn't that bad. Run malwarebytes from a protected usb drive and then run combofix and you should be fine.

GREAT BOOK OF DICK
Aug 14, 2008

by Ozma

brc64 posted:

I had this lovely email (slightly edited) when I came in this morning. The time on the email was 3:21 AM.

Funny thing is, I checked the OfficeScan Server Console and found the virus reports, but when I checked the locations via c$, none of the files reported were present. I hate Trend.

I never called her, either.

From what I've noticed in our company, do not trust another anti-virus vendor (Kaspersky) having 100% success removing Trend from all workstations automatically before installing their product. We had a lot of machines that were crashing or running very slowly simply because Trend was never completely uninstalled. Trend really does have a horrible loving product.

GREAT BOOK OF DICK
Aug 14, 2008

by Ozma
Looks like I'm dealing with Win32/Virut.NBM on my aunt's PC. She said she was searching Craigslist for things to buy and she opened a link on there that probably infected her. At least she came forward and admitted that she's been using McAfee and it's since been expired for 2+ years.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

GREAT BOOK OF DICK posted:

Looks like I'm dealing with Win32/Virut.NBM on my aunt's PC. She said she was searching Craigslist for things to buy and she opened a link on there that probably infected her. At least she came forward and admitted that she's been using McAfee and it's since been expired for 2+ years.

This thing is a real bastard once you're infected because the infection routine has a significant chance to just trash each file it infects so it can't be recovered.

GREAT BOOK OF DICK
Aug 14, 2008

by Ozma

BillWh0re posted:

This thing is a real bastard once you're infected because the infection routine has a significant chance to just trash each file it infects so it can't be recovered.

Fortunately it doesn't appear to corrupt .jpg files which is essentially all that needs to be saved from the machine. It looks like it also corrupted the Dell recovery partition as well because attempting to launch it only reaches a certain point. Thankfully Dell included recovery media. (The hard drive did pass a diagnostic check earlier in the day)

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

GREAT BOOK OF DICK posted:

Fortunately it doesn't appear to corrupt .jpg files which is essentially all that needs to be saved from the machine. It looks like it also corrupted the Dell recovery partition as well because attempting to launch it only reaches a certain point. Thankfully Dell included recovery media. (The hard drive did pass a diagnostic check earlier in the day)

I'm pretty sure Dell's don't have recovery partitions at all and your only option is the recovery disc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sometimes manufacturers will put a recovery partition with the expectation that you make your own disc, and give you no disc.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Cojawfee posted:

Sometimes manufacturers will put a recovery partition with the expectation that you make your own disc, and give you no disc.

Yes, but Dell as far as I know is not one of these companies. If someone knows of hidden partitions or something I'd actually like to know, it'll save myself some headaches in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

205b
Mar 25, 2007

1997 posted:

I'm pretty sure Dell's don't have recovery partitions at all and your only option is the recovery disc.

I've definitely seen Dells with recovery partitions, although the installation media is probably the way to go if you have it.

• Locked thread