Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tv iv is nerds
Feb 26, 2006

by angerbot

plogo posted:

I think of Lords of the Underground more for their singles than for their albums, so maybe you should search for some early 90s mixtapes or podcasts. You can check out the rub's history of hip hop podcasts at http://brooklynradio.net/the-rub.

Word thanks I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

thetruancybot posted:

hey guise i'm getting into shoegaze, and i really enjoy Gala and Spooky by Lush and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. what else should i check out?

Get the album Raise by Swervedriver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHva52tOoeo

One of the few MBV contemporaries that matched the "heaviness" of Loveless.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
Recommend me instrumental stuff with a focus on guitar, preferably along the lines of stuff like Kaki King (even though she has vocals in some songs), Explosions in the Sky, 65daysofstatic, etc.

Really anything that's instrumental guitar that doesn't sound like 80s shredmetal dudes like Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/whatever.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

thetruancybot posted:

hey guise i'm getting into shoegaze, and i really enjoy Gala and Spooky by Lush and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. what else should i check out?

In addition to the other recs, you might enjoy some new shoegaze stuff that's been coming out, namely the bands Alcest and Jesu. The former only has one album and it's a pretty good throwback to shoegaze, nothing innovative but fun to listen to. The latter has a couple albums with the later stuff being more shoegazey than the early stuff, the Silver EP is definitely worth checking out.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

SeraphSlaughter posted:

Recommend me instrumental stuff with a focus on guitar, preferably along the lines of stuff like Kaki King (even though she has vocals in some songs), Explosions in the Sky, 65daysofstatic, etc.

Really anything that's instrumental guitar that doesn't sound like 80s shredmetal dudes like Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/whatever.
If you want to give another direction a try Friends of Dean Martinez and Big Lazy have a different sort of vibe, neither of which are very often imitated

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
OK so i have a weird request. I'm reading a book where Sonoran Jazz plays a prominent role. I want to have a better idea of what this would sound like (I'm guessing something like stripped down Flamenco??). So I guess I'm looking for recommendations of Latin-American/Central-American Jazz, preferrably Northern but whatever will do. Any ideas?

queenoffarts.edu
Nov 11, 2005

OrganicRobot posted:

The Tough Alliance is very similar.

I checked these guys out, wasn't really digging their first LP called The New School but after sticking with it and listening to their newest I'm starting to warm to them.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Farts Domino posted:

If you want to give another direction a try Friends of Dean Martinez and Big Lazy have a different sort of vibe, neither of which are very often imitated

Sure, I'm down for anything. Thanks.

NnamkcebNairb
Apr 7, 2008

"Don't be sad that no one bought you a scallop. You're just not cool enough"
\
:backtowork:
Can anyone tell me any songs that have muted guitars as one of the primary instruments? I tend to like the mood of songs like "Here's to the Night" or "Every Breath you Take." I don't know if this is too specific, but if you guys have any suggestions of songs to listen to, let me know!

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Anyone point me towards some good instrumental slide guitar? Not really fast like Leo Kottke, and not exactly bluesy riff slide guitar, just slow, melancholy cowboy slide guitar.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Hi guys.

I've recently been listening to alot of Meshuggah, and free jazz. I've heard some bands that combine this pretty well. Basically, I want the hardness of metal with the free improvisational nature of jazz. It can gladly be similar to noise with some structure, avant garde etc. It has to be good, though. That's abit stupid to say, but it really has to be great.

Any recommendations? I'd love to hear some! :)

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run
Any body know any stuff similar to Skip James, Hard Time Killing Floor Blues in particular

Halfsharkalligator fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 6, 2009

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Money Walrus posted:

Anyone point me towards some good instrumental slide guitar? Not really fast like Leo Kottke, and not exactly bluesy riff slide guitar, just slow, melancholy cowboy slide guitar.

You should definitely look into Bruce Kaphan's Slider album. He's worked with American Music Club/Red House Painters, REM and David Byrne, but this is all instrumental, atmospheric slide guitar music. Very highly recommended.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
This video was posted in lf, and I absolutely love it. I guess its just folk music but can anyone suggest me more like this?

m0nkeysensei
Mar 13, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Anyone know of any music similar to bombadil?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I'm in a dire need for some feel good Folktronica, I was just clued to this today and I need to know if anyone would be happy to reccomend a similar artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhS-csU0k1U&fmt=18

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

Owen
Dec 5, 2006

bite the bullet

swampland posted:

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

This is a really cool request. I'm not sure how far up your alley this is, but try Deceit by This Heat. Post-punk, experimental, tribal influences, etc.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
One of my favourite chillout albums is Visions, by Jakatta (an alias of Dave Lee, according to Wikipedia). I like the fact that there are a variety of different tempos on the album, it goes through a few different moods and it flows very well and works well as a whole. It's about as far away from "Chilled Ibiza volume 4^42" as you can get while still being chilled house music. After owning the album for many years I've finally got around to searching for something similar, and... I can't find anything. It doesn't help that I don't even know what genre to place the album in.

Can anyone recommend something similar? And by that I mean the complete package - an album not a compilation. I've yet to hear anything else like it (the albums suggested by Pandora are no good) but I'd like to if it's out there.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 7, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Can anyone point me towards bands that sound like Ted Leo and the Pharmacists? I have also listened to his earlier stuff with Chisel. I like how it almost sounds punk at times but his vocals keep it folky and poppy. The only band that is kinda close on last.fm is the Oranges Band.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

swampland posted:

Soundtracks for the Blind by Swans is one of the most disturbing, disjointed albums I've come across. For something even more disturbing there's Nurse With Wound, or for something sprawling there's Neurosis.

Or for the one album that actually gave me chills when I listened to it at night there's Battle of Mice's only album. Still chills me a bit when I listen to it, there's something unnerving about her sweet, singsongy voice when she's whispering to you.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So my brother just turned me on to Skalpel, a Polish 'nujazz' band. Coming from bands like Amon Tobin and Xploding Plastix, this is pretty cool stuff. Anyone know of anything similar?

The songs linked are some of my favorites if anyone was wondering what nujazz is.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

swampland posted:

Maybe Bone Machine by my favorite artist, Tom Waits?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

swampland posted:

Oxbow's the first thing that comes to mind for me, perhaps An Evil Heat?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for something similar to Chairlift. They're the ones in the iPod Nano commercial.

I do not like the guitar rockish side of things, like Jem.
I do not like technopop, like Freezepop.
I do like the more drum-machined electronic side of things, like Imogen Heap.
I do like Delerium.

Anyone suggest anything?

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I'm looking for any artists that sound similar to k-os (myspace has only new songs. I've really loved his last two albums (Joyful Rebellion, Atlantis: Hymns for Disco) and have had trouble finding anyone that puts out hip hop similar to him.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Thank you everyone for the vast number of replies. I look forward to delving into these potentially paralysing albums. To Big Bad Voodoo Lou: Good pick, one of my favourite albums, Tom Waits is a god, see you in the colloseum.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I know this is going to be a hard request, but does anyone know of any band that sounds similar to Menomena? I haven't been able to stop listening to their 3 (really 2) albums.

NnamkcebNairb
Apr 7, 2008

"Don't be sad that no one bought you a scallop. You're just not cool enough"
\
:backtowork:

NnamkcebNairb posted:

Can anyone tell me any songs that have muted guitars as one of the primary instruments? I tend to like the mood of songs like "Here's to the Night" or "Every Breath you Take." I don't know if this is too specific, but if you guys have any suggestions of songs to listen to, let me know!

I'm still interested to know if anyone can help me out with this.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

OrganicRobot posted:

I know this is going to be a hard request, but does anyone know of any band that sounds similar to Menomena? I haven't been able to stop listening to their 3 (really 2) albums.

i've never heard anything quite like Menomena, but their instrumentation is kind of similar to Do Make Say Think and Explosions in the Sky, if you want something with singing they also remind me a bit of Tapes n' Tapes, TV On The Radio and The Hold Steady

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 9, 2009

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

OrganicRobot posted:

does this tickle your fancy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watMsH1G3Pk&fmt=18

also anyone, anyone at all?

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run

Akur0 posted:

I'm in a dire need for some feel good Folktronica, I was just clued to this today and I need to know if anyone would be happy to reccomend a similar artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhS-csU0k1U&fmt=18

Try The Books

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

NnamkcebNairb posted:

I'm still interested to know if anyone can help me out with this.
This is a really broad request, there are a shitload of songs that use palm-muting extensively. Try Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Halfsharkalligator posted:

Try The Books

you are awesome sir, they have an incredible bassist.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Clanpot Shake posted:

So my brother just turned me on to Skalpel, a Polish 'nujazz' band. Coming from bands like Amon Tobin and Xploding Plastix, this is pretty cool stuff. Anyone know of anything similar?

The songs linked are some of my favorites if anyone was wondering what nujazz is.

You could try Nujabes, or the Samurai Champloo OSTs, which he did a lot of work on with a few other similar artists.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Taxxorrak posted:

Hi guys.

I've recently been listening to alot of Meshuggah, and free jazz. I've heard some bands that combine this pretty well. Basically, I want the hardness of metal with the free improvisational nature of jazz. It can gladly be similar to noise with some structure, avant garde etc. It has to be good, though. That's abit stupid to say, but it really has to be great.

Any recommendations? I'd love to hear some! :)

Definitely check out Ephel Duath. Not so much their latest album Through My Dog's Eyes (i dunno, the singer sounds weird and it's not jazzy enough), but their other albums are pretty much what you're after I think.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9wwlzuwJE
the song doesn't really start until like 30 seconds in

e: oh and I started with Pain Necessary To Know and I'd recommend starting there

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Hooplah posted:

Definitely check out Ephel Duath. Not so much their latest album Through My Dog's Eyes (i dunno, the singer sounds weird and it's not jazzy enough), but their other albums are pretty much what you're after I think.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9wwlzuwJE
the song doesn't really start until like 30 seconds in

e: oh and I started with Pain Necessary To Know and I'd recommend starting there

The Painter's Palette is their only worthwhile album.

Coprofago are a band from Chile who pretty much copy Meshuggah's formula, but they have occasional jazzy sections. I'd recommend their album Unorthodox Creative Criteria. It ends with instrumental prog/jazz pieces.

You would probably also like Silencio's Dead Kings but that's a lot harder to find. edit: Ok, maybe not. It's actually available from their record label for $10 including shipping http://www.handstandrecords.com/catalog/viewitem.php?itemid=555

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 10, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

swampland posted:

Soap&Skin - Lovetune For Vacuum. I just heard it today and it might be exactly what you want.

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

Kai was taken posted:

I'm looking for something similar to Chairlift. They're the ones in the iPod Nano commercial.

I do not like the guitar rockish side of things, like Jem.
I do not like technopop, like Freezepop.
I do like the more drum-machined electronic side of things, like Imogen Heap.
I do like Delerium.

Anyone suggest anything?

Try Ms. John Soda either No P. Or D. or Notes And The Like or School Of Seven Bells - Alpinisms. Definitely get into Mates of State - Re-Arrange Us if you haven't already. And for an extra bit, anyone who has any interest in Imogen Heap or Bjork should give Kate Havnevik's Melankton a listen.

MementoMori fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola Ugh
May 19, 2005

Sjåre brymæ
Looking for french accordion songs similiar to the ones on the sountrack for the movie Amelie from Montmartre