Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
As promised: Thank you, Chrys, for recommending Dark Funeral! Eidolon is loving awesome and I look forward to checking out everything else they have ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

edit: Since the thread is going nowhere and we're here talking about mediocre, allow me to throw out a band that isn't: Koldbrann - Nekrotisk Inkvisition. No frills back to basics black. Their other albums aren't bad but this one I can't stop listening to

This disc loving rules. This is what I’m talking about!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

As promised: Thank you, Chrys, for recommending Dark Funeral! Eidolon is loving awesome and I look forward to checking out everything else they have ever done.

Check out Diabolis Interium. - e: the DF album, sorry for any confusion....

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 7, 2009

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you like the sort of melodic black metal you should really listen to Barathrum's "Legions of Perkele". I will concede that "Eerie" is the best Barathrum album, but it is pretty different from Legions.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Thanks both, will do!

On a side note: I've mentioned them in the other metal thread but they fit better here - A Forest of Stars is beautiful, atmospheric, prog/experimental (so Last says anyway) black metal, and the album The Corpse of Rebirth is one of the better I've heard recently.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

In the Sign of the Horns. I had it with me when we last did the swap thing and didn't get/remember to play it :(

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

MrBling posted:

If you like the sort of melodic black metal you should really listen to Barathrum's "Legions of Perkele". I will concede that "Eerie" is the best Barathrum album, but it is pretty different from Legions.

Eerie is all they have up on their myspace page. Does the production get better at all? I can only hear the drums and an occasional guitar/bass line besides the singer. It's like the guitarist was in the next room or something

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

Eerie is all they have up on their myspace page. Does the production get better at all? I can only hear the drums and an occasional guitar/bass line besides the singer. It's like the guitarist was in the next room or something

While I don't the production is particularly bad on Eerie, it is different on Legions of Perkele. You can hear one of the songs from the album here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVlU8pw8hwc

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

While I don't the production is particularly bad on Eerie, it is different on Legions of Perkele. You can hear one of the songs from the album here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVlU8pw8hwc

Well it's not a lot different, but I can hear the guitar finally. Definitely worth looking into

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I think the new Peste Noire is awesome, but then again, I am a huge, squealing PN fanboy. Not a blastbeat to be found, but so what - it rules.

If you haven't checked out last year's Storming Darkness release Sin-Thesis, do yourself a favor and grab it. Just loving blasting hateful no-bullshit Russian black metal.

Just grabbed Negative Plane's Et In Saecula Saeculorum and am duly impressed. LOUD drums, mostly slower pace, killer ultra-echoed vocals, and an awesome old-school vibe permeate. Recommended.

Ars Manifestia released The Red Behind last January. Get it on sight.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
I've never had any interest in black metal, until I heard Dimmu Borgir's "The Sacrilegious Scorn." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cqKafnUrk

I usually listen to IDM, ambient, and dubstep, so this is kind of a new thing for me, but goddamn that is a song. The bassist's vocals really help to balance things out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I've never had any interest in black metal, until I heard Dimmu Borgir's "The Sacrilegious Scorn." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cqKafnUrk

I usually listen to IDM, ambient, and dubstep, so this is kind of a new thing for me, but goddamn that is a song. The bassist's vocals really help to balance things out.

Yeah, ICS Vortex has some awesome pipes on him. He also sang for Borknagar (on the album Quintessence) and Arcturus (everything after like 2003), so maybe you'd like those?

Borknagar - Colossus - Bad sound quality, but you get the idea. A lot more folky than Dimmu Borgir, but still rad, in my opinion. A lot of their stuff is closer to black metal than this.

Arcturus - Hufsa - Again, kinda folky metal, way more avant garde, not really black metal at all. But, it's got Vortex on vocals so hey :shobon:

VVV I'm just throwing out stuff since he liked Vortex's vocals. I don't want to go on record as saying that either of these are good examples of black metal or are even good examples of the bands themselves. I don't even like Arcturus at all.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 9, 2009

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
What an embarrassment that video is. The music has very little to do with black metal as well, it's just extreme symphonic metal with laughable harsh vocals.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Yeah, ICS Vortex has some awesome pipes on him. He also sang for Borknagar (on the album Quintessence) and Arcturus (everything after like 2003), so maybe you'd like those?

Borknagar - Colossus - Bad sound quality, but you get the idea. A lot more folky than Dimmu Borgir, but still rad, in my opinion. A lot of their stuff is closer to black metal than this.

Arcturus - Hufsa - Again, kinda folky metal, way more avant garde, not really black metal at all. But, it's got Vortex on vocals so hey :shobon:

VVV I'm just throwing out stuff since he liked Vortex's vocals. I don't want to go on record as saying that either of these are good examples of black metal or are even good examples of the bands themselves. I don't even like Arcturus at all.

In the vein of ICS Vortex with Dimmu Borgir you might wanna check out the song, "The Insight and the Catharsis." He single-handedly makes that song amazing. Also check out "The Kings of the Carnival Creation," he sings some really awesome parts in that one as well.

I don't think Dimmu has ever been considered "real" BM. They've always had symphonic elements with harsh vocals.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 9, 2009

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't think Dimmu has ever been considered "real" BM. They've always had symphonic elements with harsh vocals.

But, they sing about :rock: Satan :rock:, and are :black101: Norwegian :black101:. This makes them BM enough for most regular folk.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Anyone have any thoughts on the new Old Man's Child "Slaves of the World"?

I personally can't get enough of it, Galder has been delivering loving hard the past few albums.

http://www.last.fm/user/deltawing12/
Sergeant Rathbun - USMC
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 Oct 06 - Apr 07

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
just scooped nifelheim's "unholy death" and "servants of darkness", both really super good. what is everyone's opinion of krallice here?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Your Weird Uncle posted:

just scooped nifelheim's "unholy death" and "servants of darkness", both really super good. what is everyone's opinion of krallice here?

I think the general consensus is that they're amazing, but I could be wrong.

BosendorferIstKrieg
Apr 1, 2008

holy/violence

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I think the general consensus is that they're amazing, but I could be wrong.

Amazing and coming to a bar down the street from me in a few months.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
i love them but i've heard mixed responses from the "troo kvlt" crowd. they're playing with wolves in the throne room (IT'S LIKE A PITCHFORK DOUBLE HEADLINER) in may. im super stoked.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Your Weird Uncle posted:

i love them but i've heard mixed responses from the "troo kvlt" crowd. they're playing with wolves in the throne room (IT'S LIKE A PITCHFORK DOUBLE HEADLINER) in may. im super stoked.

Wow, call me a hipster human being but that would be a really awesome show.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
im super hyped for it but im a punk who doesnt know his way around black metal. i guess i dont know enough to be holier then thou yet.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Your Weird Uncle posted:

I would loving be there in a minute if they played here. If my troo kvlt credentials mattered (which they don't, really), I could mention that I've been listening to black metal for twenty years starting with Bathory.

NickelPlatedJesus
Jan 3, 2007
That's no ordinary Jesus! It's a NickelPlatedJesus!
The Burzum cd "Burzum/aske" is the only Black Metal cd that matters. :colbert:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

NickelPlatedJesus posted:

Bah, that's the re-release version. You're not trve kvlt unless you have the original separate releases. Preferably on necro tape.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

NickelPlatedJesus posted:

I swore Filosofem started with an F

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I may very well be late to the scene, but besides Absu's release, I'm calling Cobalt's Gin the black metal release of the year thus far. While it's post/progressive flare is fresh and creative, they've ( I understand it's a duo) really pay tribute to the classics.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

If you're looking for albums of the year, last year may be Gorath - Misotheism

It got great reviews and I still throw it on which is rare for me with new black.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

QFT

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

This is the correct response.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Yeah, ICS Vortex has some awesome pipes on him. He also sang for Borknagar (on the album Quintessence)

And The Archaic Course.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I wanted to say something about the Filosofem but others already covered it :bandwagon:

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
The new Beherit album is ok, its lacking variation though.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

lordblytzkrieg posted:

In the vein of ICS Vortex with Dimmu Borgir you might wanna check out the song, "The Insight and the Catharsis." He single-handedly makes that song amazing. Also check out "The Kings of the Carnival Creation," he sings some really awesome parts in that one as well.

Vortex's solos on Dimmu albums Spiritual Black Dimensions and forward are totally awesome. And even though they were never really trve kvlt they helped me get into BM. To this day the original Stormblast is one of my favorite records ever.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Filosofem is great, all you have to do is stop the CD 10 minutes into Rundgang (or chop it down into a 10 minute track) and you got yourself a cool album.

No need to tinker with Hvist Lyset Tar Oss however....

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

You could actually remove every song other than Det Som En Gang Var and still have one of the best bm records ever.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Filosofem is great, all you have to do is stop the CD 10 minutes into Rundgang (or chop it down into a 10 minute track) and you got yourself a cool album.

I disagree. Rundgang I think is the most evil and introspective track on the album.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Is there stuff that sounds like early Lord Belial? I mean, there's bits in October Falls that are kind of like what I'm looking for - mid-tempo and semi-melodic I guess.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 10, 2009

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
I have been having trouble finding good black metal lately, everything I can find seems to be crappy Cradle of Filth knockoffs who claim to be Black Metal. Well today I discovered Dawn of Relic, and they are exactly what I've been looking for. Anyone got any other recommendations to similar black metal like Dawn of Relic, that's you know, good?

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Oldstench posted:

And The Archaic Course.

He's also appearing on one track on the new Borknagar album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Razor posted:

He's also appearing on one track on the new Borknagar album.

That's awesome news, I always liked him and Garm more than Vintersorg. Any idea when this is coming out?