Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

chimz posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

A glass Ikea Galant desk really makes Apple equipment look good. I like having it up on the Griffin Elevator to make it even with my 2001fp. This desk is so huge, it's a great change from the top of a half-height chest of drawers I had earlier.

I have a Drobo down below my desk which spontaneously reboots sometimes, but Drobo support has chalked it up to resetting if the hard drives spin up too slowly, and they've promised to exchange it if I ever get annoyed enough to call them up again. Make sure to update the firmware and use USB, not Firewire.

Sorry for the low quality picture, I only have an iPhone to take pictures with.

What's the UFO thing on the right hand side of your desk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Milo Pollywalter posted:

I haven't tried to get replaced under warranty yet as it's still half-working so I haven't quite given up yet.

Well then stop loving complaining about it then. You have a defective unit. You choose to continue to use that defective unit. poo poo happens, but it's your fault today for not replacing it yesterday.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

ErIog posted:

Well then stop loving complaining about it then. You have a defective unit. You choose to continue to use that defective unit. poo poo happens, but it's your fault today for not replacing it yesterday.

Yes, I do realize that part - I should have gotten it replaced under warranty. But what bugs me about this is now I'm tied to the Drobo storage format, I can't just put these disks into a Linux box with enough SATA ports and rebuild the array, instead I'l have to ship the Drobo off and have all my data inaccessible until I get my hands on another Drobo. Hindsight is 20/20, etc.

Whatever the case, I'm saying don't buy a Drobo.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Whatever the case, I'm saying don't buy a Drobo.

It might not have worked perfectly for you, but Drobo is a pretty good product. I realize we're in SH/SC, but there's probably still a lot of us that would pay for the ease of use that the Drobo provides. You just shove any old drives in, and then it works. I realize the second part isn't going so well for you, but I don't see how your one bad experience justifies writing off the product. If I had a bad experience with my Macbook, then got it replaced. I wouldn't run around telling people not to buy it. That's not fair.

You can look at it like your Drobo didn't work. Or you can look at it like the Drobo has a good warranty. It just feels like you're being unrealistic and juvenile.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 5, 2009

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

ErIog posted:

I realize the second part isn't going so well for you, but I don't see how your one bad experience justifies writing off the product.

Everyone has done this at one point or another and you're not above it. Stop preaching.

Ample fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 6, 2009

eBay Embryos
Dec 12, 2004

Communist Party
Decided to contribute:

Click here for the full 2000x1500 image.

Sorry for the crappy picture, I had to use my N95 to take it (camera got stolen).

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Cell phone quality, not much to do about that.
Main PC on the left, 22" monitor, Dell Studio XPS 13, AMD64 3200+ shuttle on the lower right under the shelf.

Batmobile and E30 M3 sold separately.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Not the best picture, 2 monitors, IKEA Jerker desk, etc. I'll take some better pictures, my cables are kinda messy too.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I wish I could keep my desk as clean as some of yours'.

I've been looking for a nice, rounded corner desk for a while now, where would you guys recommend looking?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evobatman posted:

Main PC on the left, 22" monitor, Dell Studio XPS 13, AMD64 3200+ shuttle on the lower right under the shelf.

Where did you get that E30 M3 Replica?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Where did you get that E30 M3 Replica?

Bought it at the gas station at the Nrburgring. It's an Autoart model, should be available on Ebay, direct from Autoart or at any well-stocked retailer for about €80. It's not rare in any way, just a tad expensive. And completely awesome.

nail
Jul 15, 2005

Corbet posted:

I know everyone is showing off their huge amazing desks but can someone recommend a small desk that will only hold a 15" Laptop and possibly an external Harddrive?
I think of a drawing/drafting table. They're usually about 24" x 36", 30" x 40", those kinds of sizes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evobatman posted:

btw, what desk is this?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

btw, what desk is this?

Don't know the exact name, but I think it's part of an IKEA office series.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

evobatman posted:

Don't know the exact name, but I think it's part of an IKEA office series.

Looks like the Ikea Galant desk I bought last week.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Baconroll posted:

Confirm. I'm sitting at a black one. If you get one, get the T-leg version. The angled legs are harder to get level and it drives me nuts. (I got the angled legs :-/ )

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Sir Nigel posted:

Confirm. I'm sitting at a black one. If you get one, get the T-leg version. The angled legs are harder to get level and it drives me nuts. (I got the angled legs :-/ )

Same, (except with T legs :c00l:) but I didn't think Ikea did finishes like that, at least on the Gallant. I thought their stuff was more matte than varnished.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Baconroll posted:

So, is that shelf attached to the desk? I can't seem to find that add-on anywhere.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

So, is that shelf attached to the desk? I can't seem to find that add-on anywhere.

You can build your own shelf, I don't think the galant has shelves per se

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Working like poo poo

The only equipment in that picture that's not an antiquated piece of crap is that asus router that needs to be flashed to DD-WRT.

Beef Rocmore
Mar 12, 2003

best picture I have right now

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Beef Rocmore posted:

What kind of case is that?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This thread makes waiting for Ikea to come to my city so painful (Winnipeg, a year or two to go).

Beef Rocmore
Mar 12, 2003

Action Jackson! posted:

What kind of case is that?

It's a Mountain Mods U2-UFO 18" cube case you can look them up here
https://www.mountainmods.com

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Just tidied up a bit. Excuse the 'poo poo living' (especially behind the PS3).

Edit; if anyone's got any advice on how I can sort my horrific cable mess then; thanks in advance!

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 11, 2009

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Thirteenth Step posted:

Edit; if anyone's got any advice on how I can sort my horrific cable mess then; thanks in advance!

I like the speakers. As far as cable management goes, I use these little velcro ties that came with my surge protector. They're really handy, reusable, not impossible to remove, and probably available over the internet.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

liquidXenon posted:

I like the speakers. As far as cable management goes, I use these little velcro ties that came with my surge protector. They're really handy, reusable, not impossible to remove, and probably available over the internet.

Actually, I saw some of these the other day. I'll pick some up when I'm back at work! Better than putting cable ties round everything and then realising you need to cut them all away to get at something...

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Thirteenth Step posted:

What speakers are those?! They look awesome.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

They're actually the speakers that came with my (oldish) stereo. The actual unit itself is on top of my case just under my desk. I was looking on buying some decent speakers about a year ago and just as I was about to push the button I found these and noticed they had an audio in. They actually sound amazing, much better than any (purpose built) computer sound system (well, the ones I could afford anyway).

If these broke, I'd seriously put some time and effort into finding another set.

If anyone's interested the system is a Panasonic SA-PM30MD. (minidisc!)

The only thing that bothers me about these speakers is that some fucker (my drat brother) has pushed a dent into the speaker cones at the top, It's a bit off topic; but does anyone know of a decent way to get these dents out? I tried taking the speaker out itself but you cant push the dent out from the other side because it's covered.

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 13, 2009

puffin
Dec 19, 2000

Thirteenth Step posted:

does anyone know of a decent way to get these dents out? I tried taking the speaker out itself but you cant push the dent out from the other side because it's covered.
Vacuum cleaner.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

puffin posted:

Vacuum cleaner.

...how!?!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Thirteenth Step posted:

...how!?!

Turn the vacuum cleaner on and put the nozzle over the dent. Will either suck the dent out or eat the speaker cone completely. When I worked in a Radio Shack years ago we pretty much did this at the end of every day as some genius pushed in the cones most days.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Baconroll posted:

Turn the vacuum cleaner on and put the nozzle over the dent. Will either suck the dent out or eat the speaker cone completely. When I worked in a Radio Shack years ago we pretty much did this at the end of every day as some genius pushed in the cones most days.

Cool! I'll give it a go...! The cone is a little small for my to fit the vaccum over and make it air tight but I might be able to do it with something else.

Edit: for reference, I just took some pictures of the speaker cones that have been pushed in.

Left:

Right:

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 12, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Stick some tape on there and then pull it off

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

ab0z posted:

Stick some tape on there and then pull it off

I can't believe I didn't think of this before! After I read this I had a look around and found some sticky foam stuff. Stuck it on, left it for about a minute and then pulled ot off with a bit of force and:

Thanks!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Living like poo poo, AND getting more and more pissed off by the mighty mouse. Need to find some better backgrounds for the big monitor though (double duty for xbox on shelf under monitor).

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Beef Rocmore posted:

Wow, I knew SOMEBODY had to be buying those monstrosities.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Triikan posted:

Wow, I knew SOMEBODY had to be buying those monstrosities.

I sort of like them in a horrified kind of way. No way I'm paying $400 for it though.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

ssjonizuka posted:

Living like poo poo, AND getting more and more pissed off by the mighty mouse. Need to find some better backgrounds for the big monitor though (double duty for xbox on shelf under monitor).

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

ssjonizuka posted:

I like your desk :)