Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I'm planning on replacing the valve cover gasket over Easter. I've got the gasket and CAS seal already, but I couldn't get a hand on silicone sealant. So I was wondering if, as the repair manual suggests, applying silicone sealant to the corners of the cams is indeed necessary or if this can be skipped safely without the cover spitting oil over my timing belt afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's applied from the factory, and I can't imagine they would do it if they didn't think it was necessary. Also, every other valvecover I've done with corners to go over a camshaft requires the same thing - a healthy blob of RTV in each corner.

RTV should be available drat near anywhere - Autozone, Checkers, hell even Harbor Freight has some.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Unfortunately I'm stuck with German suppliers, which want you to bring your car in for the easiest of tasks and try to rip you off no matter what.
Anyway, I guess I'll try my luck with a few more tomorrow.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

duep posted:

Unfortunately I'm stuck with German suppliers, which want you to bring your car in for the easiest of tasks and try to rip you off no matter what.

You mean in Germany they don't use gasket sealer?? any hi-temp gasket sealer will work... rtv being the most popular... And yes, you do need those little dollops of sealer in the corners... otherwise, you're just asking for leaks.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I took advantage of the good weather today and managed to seduced my Miata into letting me take a few topless shots of her. So here we go.

Valve cover and CAS done an no more leaks to be spotted.

In related news I could finally get a hold of that silicone sealant and got ripped off royally by the dealership. Open heart surgery is cheap compared to buying branded parts here in Germany.

I also installed new Hella headlamps the other day and suddenly it is possible to actually see what's in front of you instead of just wildly guessing.

duep fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 10, 2009

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I've read a fair bit of the thread, and I am about 75% sure I'm going to buy a miata in the next few weeks, with a budget of about 6-8000, what model year/mileage should I be expecting? I'd like a late 90s with ~60-90k on the clock. Is that about right, or will I probably be stuck with slightly higher miles or slightly older cars?

In Oklahoma city. It'll be my new daily driver. I need something more practical than my kawasaki for daily transportation, the obvious choice is a 2-seater convertible, right? I've got four days off next week so I plan to get a lot of research and/or test-drives to hopefully find a good one.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

With that budget you should be able to find an extremely nice, loaded, and well documented late NA, which is what I would go for (and did go for), or a very nice early NB as well.

Don't rush into it and wait for a good example and I think you'll end up very satisfied.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
6-9k will get you a very nice 99-02 NB as well. Just keep looking till you find someone who needs to dump theirs, but you're buying in the wrong season, so keep that in mind. I wouldn't pay more than 6k for the nicest NA you could possibly think of either (and it had better be a special edition for that). You should be able to get a good condition NA with hardtop for ~5k.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I suppose it is the wrong season to buy. I could always stick to two wheels until it starts to get cold, and probably snag a better deal in the process.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You'll find better cars on the market now. The winter months get you cheap prices, but the selection blows rear end.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

The selection blows rear end now. carmax.com shoes zero listings, autotrader.com shows like 5(2 within 50 miles). The classifieds show 3, two of which are 04 or newer, and autotrader(paperback) shows one.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its starting to warm up in a lot of places, Miatas are starting to be driven, so there are less for sale.

Maybe try looking further away, finding a really well kept Miata should provide you with a great reliable ride back home. California has a huge amount of Miatas for sale, plus they are cheap and there is no corrosion or rust here. Unfortunately that means people drive around on bent up bodypanels

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm looking into getting an NA Miata sometime in the near future, and I've got no idea what the option code for the LSD is, or where to find out. From what I've read you had to have one of the optional packages, either A/B/C, and then add the LSD as an extra option. Is there a code on the car itself that I can check for?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A/B/C have the torsen. If you really want to know if you have one, do the test I mentioned like last page.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

I'm looking into getting an NA Miata sometime in the near future, and I've got no idea what the option code for the LSD is, or where to find out. From what I've read you had to have one of the optional packages, either A/B/C, and then add the LSD as an extra option. Is there a code on the car itself that I can check for?

It helps us to know where you are. Packages vary quite a bit country to country.

It also depends on what year range you are looking at. But LSDs older than 94 aren't really LSDs anymore anyway.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

It helps us to know where you are. Packages vary quite a bit country to country.

It also depends on what year range you are looking at. But LSDs older than 94 aren't really LSDs anymore anyway.

I'm up in Canada, and I'll probably be looking at 90-95 at best, its going to depend on price. I don't have too much to spend.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Savington you don't do PMs so I'm posting this here.

RE: Speed Ventures @ Thunderhill

Just realized that you were there on Saturday. One of my car racing friends just emailed your youtube link that featured you passing his car (green E36 M3).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKa2nPfgWIE

I was there running in the black group in the red 944 Turbo that broke a CV joint in the 3rd session. My car is now at a shop in Sac getting fixed. Likely not going to lap again in that car (it is my commuter) and will stick with racing my 510 for the moment.

If you see either of my cars at a lapping day stop by and say hello.

Shauntron
May 19, 2005

I spent 10 bucks on this shit so don't get fucking banned okay.
I've been lusting for a Miata with some kind of forced air induction and came across this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1119951673.html

Is this a bad idea?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Shauntron posted:

I've been lusting for a Miata with some kind of forced air induction and came across this:

Is this a bad idea?

Thats been on there a month at least. Its a bad idea if you want to pass smog legally, only the BEGI kit is CARB legal. I don't know how it would be otherwise.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Shauntron posted:

Is this a bad idea?

Is that aluminum foil he's using for heat shielding near the turbo? Is that even effective since it'll conduct directly to the hard lines anyway?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I just returned from a test drive of an '03, and I think I'm in love. :swoon:

I was expecting it to be more lacking in the power department, since I wasn't wringing it dry every gear, but was pleasantly surprised by the power the 1.8l makes. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it will definitely get out of it's own way with no trouble at all. Now all I need to do is find one I can afford.

I was also very pleasantly surprised by how spacious the interior was once I was actually sitting in it. The car fit me like a glove, and I love the way it takes less than 5 seconds to flip the top down or back up. Also the way the shifter seemed to click into place like it was looking forward to being driven.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 13, 2009

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Still, $4500 seems quite cheap for that car, no? It seems to be pretty well sorted, but yeah, smog is going to be questionable.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Still, $4500 seems quite cheap for that car, no? It seems to be pretty well sorted, but yeah, smog is going to be questionable.
No, turboed cars rarely sell for much more than stock ones.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

destructo posted:

Welp, guess I'll be holding onto mine for a long time then.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Welp, guess I'll be holding onto mine for a long time then.
I should have added that it's fairly easy to part it out and make some extra money, so just do that when you sell it.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

duep posted:

Maybe too late now, but LOCTITE Flächendichtung is what you're looking for. Alternatively ask for any Silikon-Flächendichtung and they might be able to help you.

Shauntron
May 19, 2005

The owner got back to me:

"It was just smoged a couple of months ago. It will come with smog. It is heat shielding I made myself.
Thanks"

Hmmm. What's the likelyhood that this guy has a special friend at a smog shop? The kind I don't have...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The car looks sketchy as gently caress. Turbo Miatas are a ridiculously good value for the money, but you are taking on a huge risk.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Phone posted:

The car looks sketchy as gently caress. Turbo Miatas are a ridiculously good value for the money, but you are taking on a huge risk.

Pretty much. The hoses are clamped badly, the vent line is now made of fuel line, the intercooler is dinged to hell, and the dumb bastard insulated his comrpessor outlet line. Its not tape, its a insulating wrap like for a/c lines. Presentation isn't everything but I wouldn't buy it for anything over cheap N/A NA prices since he doesn't care enough to make it look really nice. Engine is clean, though but really 5bucks a pressure washer fixes that.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 14, 2009

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

destructo posted:

No, they regularly do sell for more than stock ones.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Baby Hitler posted:

Pretty much. The hoses are clamped badly, the vent line is now made of fuel line, the intercooler is dinged to hell, and the dumb bastard insulated his comrpessor outlet line. Its not tape, its a insulating wrap like for a/c lines. Presentation isn't everything but I wouldn't buy it for anything over cheap N/A NA prices since he doesn't care enough to make it look really nice. Engine is clean, though but really 5bucks a pressure washer fixes that.

What does 'hoses are clamped badly' mean? I'm genuinely curious as I don't want to be badly clamping hoses. Also it looks like he's insulated his compressor inlet line, not the outlet line, as far as I can tell.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ok, see the air intake? Can you see the quality of it? Alright, now just think about all of the other engine critical things that he's hacked together with a pair of safety scissors.

Shauntron
May 19, 2005

OK, I'm convinced. I think I'll just have to eat the time and money overhead of putting my own turbo on a miata... I like the look of the NB a bit more anyway :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I need a new airbox filter. Go cheap? OEM? Some performance brand?

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
Have any of you used the Tsudo N1 catback? I want a new exhaust but I'm not willing to pay much for something that isn't going to give me any benefits. The N1 is very cheap, but the youtubes I've looked up sound pretty lovely. Youtube doesn't always reproduce exhaust sound very well, so I was hoping one of you had actually heard one in person.

edit: it's really not all THAT cheap after shipping but my question still stands.

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 16, 2009

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

GoblinBomb posted:

Have any of you used the Tsudo N1 catback? I want a new exhaust but I'm not willing to pay much for something that isn't going to give me any benefits. The N1 is very cheap, but the youtubes I've looked up sound pretty lovely. Youtube doesn't always reproduce exhaust sound very well, so I was hoping one of you had actually heard one in person.

edit: it's really not all THAT cheap after shipping but my question still stands.
Yeah, it was a deal back when they came out when people were getting them for like $150 shipped. Also the white poo poo that comes out of it isn't exactly pleasant.

Ziploc posted:

OEM

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Anyone know if Donaldson makes a filter that fits? They don't have one listed on their website as being specifically for the Miata, but given the variety of poo poo that they make I suspect they have something that'd work.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
The Mazda dealer next to work has $8,000 off written on the side of the Miatas in their lot. I wish I needed a car, drat Hyundai is too reliable to sell it.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Is $5000 too much for a 1995 M edition, from a used lot? It has 102k on the clock. The body has a couple of scuffs that will buff out, most likely(doors opened into the side, left some white film), a good running engine, except for what sounds like a sticky solenoid(grind after the start). The interior is good, save the left edge of the driver's seat.

It also appears to be leaking from the rear transmission seal. Other than that it doesn't seem to have any mechanical issues. Should I buy it and keep it? Buy it and drive it for a year while saving more money for a newer one with lower miles? Any input would be highly valued.

I'm taking it to a third party mechanic in the morning to get the once-over and see if there's anything I missed when I went over it myself.

Crappy cellphone pictures:

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
95M's are pretty sought after. I'd snap it up, fix the little things and then you could make a decent profit on it when you resell it.