Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Damien posted:

This was done entirely in FL8:

It shows. I have no idea where you were going with this. It sounds like you just mashed a bunch of different sounds together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The "acid inspired" is rather far-fetched.

There's a way to make a dark electro track out of this. Gather the scraps, dump your original arrangement, get a way to make a progression or tell a story with it, add variation, and stay off dBlue Glitch/Gross Beat for a while.

Damien
Jun 21, 2003

Yoozer posted:

The "acid inspired" is rather far-fetched.

There's a way to make a dark electro track out of this. Gather the scraps, dump your original arrangement, get a way to make a progression or tell a story with it, add variation, and stay off dBlue Glitch/Gross Beat for a while.

Solid advice, except that there's no dblue Glitch in this track and I'm not even sure what gross beat is.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
I don't know man, that bass there sounds a bit out of place, like hitting random notes. Try keeping it more simple, maybe use a scale. Also, too many percussion changes with no real point (TR-808 cymbal out of loving nowhere).

Damien
Jun 21, 2003

KaosPV posted:

I don't know man, that bass there sounds a bit out of place, like hitting random notes. Try keeping it more simple, maybe use a scale. Also, too many percussion changes with no real point (TR-808 cymbal out of loving nowhere).

Yeah, I've gotten the "simplify, simplify" thing before, especially with basslines... I did use a scale, C minor, I think, but yeah the bassline skips around too much notewise to be coherent. Thanks for the advice, guys, I'll work on my style and structure.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Damien posted:

Yeah, I've gotten the "simplify, simplify" thing before, especially with basslines... I did use a scale, C minor, I think, but yeah the bassline skips around too much notewise to be coherent. Thanks for the advice, guys, I'll work on my style and structure.

None of the notes are 'out,' but rhythmically they are too weird for acid. i think you could get good results from taking the midi of the bassline, and applying it to the higher melody synths, and making a new bassline with the low acid sound youve got. getting too loopy and repetitive is definitely a danger in electronic production, but also with acid, or any techno really, its not really about making a song, its about making a groove that can go on for ever and ever. part of that is variation though.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I would say that those sounds do not go together. The problem is not so much one specific element but rather trying to put them all together. It's not a soundscape so much as a smattering of different pieces, like you mixed up different Mr Potato Head sets or something.

Also, acid as a sound is not "analog subtractive bass synth part with cutoff envelope mod". It really is a very, very specific thing and that's not even close. Not really a problem with regard to music, but if you want to be able to communicate to potential listeners what they might be hearing, acid is not it at all.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

toadee posted:

like you mixed up different Mr Potato Head sets or something.

I'm going to start using this.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

duck monster posted:

I don't really know quite what this is supposed to be.
Click here to download stateless.mp3
Its electronic music of some sort. But with some sort of mutant jazz spazzed into it or some poo poo.

I'm not entirely happy with the first part, the quasi-atonal run at the start is a little mechanical and almost has a tracker feel to it. But in general I'm chuffed with how the second part came out. Most people I've played seem to like the first part but friends are rarely objective judges, so I dunno, I probably need to have a smoke and think it over.

Loved this. What did you use to make the piano and percussions?

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
So I'm starting to get somewhat frusterated about my lack of recent progress. In light of this I thought I would post some of my more complete projects for criticism, discussion and enjoyment.

This is my best by far.

This one is a little embarrassing but the lead is otherwise my favourite.

This one needs new bass patches.

(Most sounds are presets or modified presets but I guess that's okay for now. Also the "thank you for trying this demo" is from my Sylenth demo.)

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
I love the drums in Marco Polo, but I kept waiting for an uber cool bass to kick in and then it was a bit of a let down. Don't get me wrong, your bass is nice, but it kind of gets stuck behind the lead. I think the song would do without the lead or with it only in some part.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/wayfinder/mp3/wayfinder_-_the_dreaming_void.mp3

Bass too loud (lovely mixing), too short.. anything else i can fix for the final?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Pretty good, dog. Obviously not my style, but you're the man.

Maybe something to think about: Its so lush and heavy out of the gates. I think I liked that 2nd drop way more. Maybe I'm just being too much of a jungalist, but I think I'd be more down for a subdued intro in to that drop, then it starts firing on all cylinders. But on the other hand, its such a full song, you may have to gradually sell it like you already do.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

wayfinder posted:

Bass too loud (lovely mixing), too short.. anything else i can fix for the final?

I like this a lot, and I don't listen to a lot of contemporary trance. Actually I probably like this because it reminds me of old stuff from labels like Platipus and such. Very good stuff in any case... don't really have any constructive criticism, sorry. :)

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
how can i make this better:

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

oredun posted:

how can i make this better:

Wow, that's a really fun track! I'd love a finished copy. I think your kick could use more punch, given how funky the track is, but I think that's a minor criticism, and not universal. I don't think the track has any actual "progression" after your breakdown. Mixing it up a bit, or adding another part, could really take this to the next level. It's definitely a fine line, though, as you've already got lots of great stuff going on.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNaAhJ1Zl4

not sure where I should go with this if anywhere. Frequency modulation is loving sweet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Someone give me some feedback on this. It's the start of a remix which I might send to OCR. It's just the first 35 seconds or so.

I'm mainly looking for feedback on the mixing, but anything is welcome. I'm trying to sculpt the spectrum.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kuakuwqmota

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wayfinder posted:

I didn't find the bass too loud, but I'm not on the flattest of speakers, either. The huge hits are loving AWESOME.

I guess my only complaint is that it lacks anything to make it super unique. It sounds like something I'd find in the middle of an A State Of Trance album. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not Pjanoo.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

I didn't find the bass too loud, but I'm not on the flattest of speakers, either. The huge hits are loving AWESOME.

I guess my only complaint is that it lacks anything to make it super unique. It sounds like something I'd find in the middle of an A State Of Trance album. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not Pjanoo.
Thanks for listening and commenting (Manoli and Cyne too).

About the unique thing — I was actually contemplating putting a guitar solo in the break. I've got a friend in Russia who plays a mean guitar, maybe I should ask him to noodle over it a little. It might get really cheesy, but then again it might not. The chords aren't very cheesy to begin with, and I keep the same bass note throughout so it probably won't slide into super cheese territory.

Kai was taken posted:

Someone give me some feedback on this. It's the start of a remix which I might send to OCR. It's just the first 35 seconds or so.

I'm mainly looking for feedback on the mixing, but anything is welcome. I'm trying to sculpt the spectrum.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kuakuwqmota
Sounds to me like the bass is booming a bit too much, somewhere in the 100Hz range. I don't know if it's as easy as taking that down, or if you maybe need to change the sound around a bit, like with a slight distortion or so. I also felt like the snippet was a bit muffled or dull in the treble. What's it a remix of?

LL Fiesta!
Jul 30, 2002
hello
Okay, here's a track:

A friend of mine wants to use it with some video. I know that It definitely needs some some work with levels and eq and whatnot. Unfortunately, because I am common-sense deficient, the project file for it died with my hard drive because I had no back-up. I made it in Logic 5.5, but now I've finally upgraded to a mac and Logic 8. So I have two questions:

1. What do you think of the track?

2. All I have is an mp3 of it. Can it be saved with eq/compression/etc? It doesn't need to be perfect, and I'm not expecting miracles, but how much do y'all think I can improve it without the original files? How would you go about it?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Sampling funk records is fun!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's been a while since i've done any music, decided to have a blast at the weekend.

Fairly dark massive attack esque breaks/techno. Kind of. Also do not turn the volume up on tindeck, it's hosed and turns my track into noise :(

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 21, 2009

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I have a question pertaining to Live 8.

Is there a way to sidechain compress specific frequency ranges? I want to get the sub range freqs from the kick to duck the sub out of the bass, without pumping the midrange and higher freqs.

Anyone?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Is there a way to sidechain compress specific frequency ranges? I want to get the sub range freqs from the kick to duck the sub out of the bass, without pumping the midrange and higher freqs.

Anyone?

If you use the built in compressor, iirc there's an EQ button next to the sidechain button. That should do it, unless I've been using that wrong all these years, which is entirely possible.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

mezzir posted:

If you use the built in compressor, iirc there's an EQ button next to the sidechain button. That should do it, unless I've been using that wrong all these years, which is entirely possible.
That EQ parameter allows you to specify which frequencies from the sidechain input you want to have triggering the compression, but the compressor still effects the entire audio channel that you insert it into.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Quick gear-buying question for yall. I know I posted like two or three months asking about the Novation ReMOTE series, but I think my tastes and budget have changed slightly.

I'm looking for a keyboard that is chiefly a MIDI controller, but I don't want it to be purely soundless. I'd like to be able to do some basic-to-average synthesis on it, or at least have some default workstation-type sampler patches with which to make sounds when I'm not using my PC. I would like it to first and foremost be a control surface, so the more knobs/sliders the better, but also something with synth capabilities. I realize that that department might be a bit limited but it's not as important to me.

My budget is $500-800 USD. Something like the X-Station would pique my interest, since I really like the control options and automatic mapping that Novation has, but I have no idea what its sound-producing capabilities are or if it's even particularly playable. Suggestions?

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008
I have a pretty simple question that does not precisely fit the OP's bill, but I think could still fit within the scope of this thread rather than a new one.

I play in a rock band with a standard lineup, but lately I've been recording songs to Fruity Loops backing tracks [original ones that I program myself], because it allows me to conveniently make good sounding low budget demos with sampled drums and "synth." This has become a conundrum because as I'm becoming more attached to these tracks, the synth parts are playing important melody lines that I don't feel like teaching my guitarist to halfassedly replicate. Long story short--what's the ideal way to play along to these for live performance? I realize this is probably a "duh" question, but again I am a rock neanderthal venturing into this world, and want to make sure I'm not missing anything other than just "bring a laptop and plug it into the PA." If that is indeed the best case, what equipment would I need to do that, or will the venue typically provide? Does anyone have any advice/experience with doing something like this with a full band?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Anyone?

make two audio channels. send the bass to both and then put an eq on each seperating the bass at the frequency you want. the chainchain the compressor to the drums on the channel with the subbass.

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

Quick gear-buying question for yall. I know I posted like two or three months asking about the Novation ReMOTE series, but I think my tastes and budget have changed slightly.

I'm looking for a keyboard that is chiefly a MIDI controller, but I don't want it to be purely soundless. I'd like to be able to do some basic-to-average synthesis on it, or at least have some default workstation-type sampler patches with which to make sounds when I'm not using my PC. I would like it to first and foremost be a control surface, so the more knobs/sliders the better, but also something with synth capabilities. I realize that that department might be a bit limited but it's not as important to me.

My budget is $500-800 USD. Something like the X-Station would pique my interest, since I really like the control options and automatic mapping that Novation has, but I have no idea what its sound-producing capabilities are or if it's even particularly playable. Suggestions?

i think a novation xstation fits the bill, i dont have one so i dont know if it sucks but it meets your requirements well...ive played a xiosynth and it pretty much sounds like a generic VA synth, it seems plenty good for a lower end hardware synth.

alcoholiday posted:

I have a pretty simple question that does not precisely fit the OP's bill, but I think could still fit within the scope of this thread rather than a new one.

I play in a rock band with a standard lineup, but lately I've been recording songs to Fruity Loops backing tracks [original ones that I program myself], because it allows me to conveniently make good sounding low budget demos with sampled drums and "synth." This has become a conundrum because as I'm becoming more attached to these tracks, the synth parts are playing important melody lines that I don't feel like teaching my guitarist to halfassedly replicate. Long story short--what's the ideal way to play along to these for live performance? I realize this is probably a "duh" question, but again I am a rock neanderthal venturing into this world, and want to make sure I'm not missing anything other than just "bring a laptop and plug it into the PA." If that is indeed the best case, what equipment would I need to do that, or will the venue typically provide? Does anyone have any advice/experience with doing something like this with a full band?

play the keyboard? you could load in them on a cheap boss sampler or take your computer out there but i think just playing the line of a keyboard would be the easiest solution.

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah, I forgot to clarify that part. Let's assume that for logistical reasons, I can't do that, or find someone else. My band is very loosely/newly put together as it is. For all I know, we could lose our drummer too, and then I would still/especially want to play to those tracks. Most venues do accommodate the laptop method?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

oredun posted:

make two audio channels. send the bass to both and then put an eq on each seperating the bass at the frequency you want. the chainchain the compressor to the drums on the channel with the subbass.
This is a sufficient solution. Thank you.

(I can't believe they didn't implement a solution to this kind of problem with the Multiband Dynamics audio effect in the new version. From a programming perspective it would be very easy to pull off.)

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Anyone have some suggestions for plug-ins, like what software does great reverb, delay, eqing, etc? I guess I have no money to buy it with but whatever.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Where do you run into the limitations of your host's included plugins?

For reverb: Altiverb, ArtsAcoustic.
For EQ: PSP Audioware, Sonnox, Voxengo

Do take a look at AudioDamage plugins, though; they've got some neat stuff and it doesn't break the bank.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is a convalescent (whatever the hell it's called) reverb really worth it?

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Kai was taken posted:

Is a convalescent (whatever the hell it's called) reverb really worth it?

Convolution and yes!
I usually use convolution reverb for acoustic elements and algorithmic reverb for synthetic elements, but you can do it either way.
Convolution sounds really authentic, but a lot of tracks use algorithmic reverbs (like the Lexicon 480) so that may be the sound you're ultimately after.

Either way, you should get at least 1 high quality reverb of each category and learn the sound of them and see what works for each specific track.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

alcoholiday posted:

Yeah, I forgot to clarify that part. Let's assume that for logistical reasons, I can't do that, or find someone else. My band is very loosely/newly put together as it is. For all I know, we could lose our drummer too, and then I would still/especially want to play to those tracks. Most venues do accommodate the laptop method?

Any venue that's set up to run instruments through the PA should be able to take the output from the laptop and run it through the PA as well. For this kind of thing you don't necessarily need a laptop though, you could just use an ipod or whatever. It might take some working out but it will pretty much amount to the same thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Fog posted:

Convolution and yes!
I usually use convolution reverb for acoustic elements and algorithmic reverb for synthetic elements, but you can do it either way.
Convolution sounds really authentic, but a lot of tracks use algorithmic reverbs (like the Lexicon 480) so that may be the sound you're ultimately after.

Either way, you should get at least 1 high quality reverb of each category and learn the sound of them and see what works for each specific track.

Personally, I like TC verb better, but Lex is nice and I'd consider it. I was considering getting a hardware reverb, like a really solid one.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
ive been using waves arts masterverb and it sounds absolutely amazing. it barely puts a dent in my CPU i usually run 3-6 instances of it in a set in ableton. its almost to good to be true but i use it and it works.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Can't you give a convolution reverb an impulse file taken from an algorithmic reverb and then just emulate it? Understandably you'd need to have multiple settings to cover the range of stuff the algorithmic verb is going to do, but that could simplify your life if you want to just run with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Convolution reverbs often use more CPU than algorithmic ones, I guess it doesn't matter as much these days. Also, convolution can only capture static, linear systems and can't deal with dynamic or nonlinear things, for example reverb algorithms that use modulated delays.

There are one or two plugins like Nebula that use an extended version of convolution to help solve some of the issues with capturing nonlinear devices, but this chews up even more CPU than the standard variety.

• Locked thread