Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

What's a better 12v tire-inflator compressor?

CO2 is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valkyn
Jun 6, 2004

Have you seen this camwhore before?
Does anyone know of any good deals on a tool chest kinda like this one?

I need something to put in my service truck, but the largest I can fit is 25" wide, 16" tall and 12" deep. There are ones like in my pic on ebay, but they want $150 for it. Ball bearing slides are a must.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Valkyn posted:

Does anyone know of any good deals on a tool chest kinda like this one?

I need something to put in my service truck, but the largest I can fit is 25" wide, 16" tall and 12" deep. There are ones like in my pic on ebay, but they want $150 for it. Ball bearing slides are a must.

Try Craigslist yet?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Swivel sockets, will the harbor freights last more then one bolt?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Elephanthead posted:

Swivel sockets, will the harbor freights last more then one bolt?

Oh awesome the must have gotten those in not that long ago cause I bought my northen tool runs a while back because HF didnt have them. Northern Tool's chrome sockets have some surface rust on them now after about 2-3 years.

Ethyx
Dec 24, 2004

Like a waddling ninja in the night of arctic winter
So... I started putting together my first basic tool set, and I have already learned a few lessons the hard way.

Regarding ratchets, I started off looking at Craftsman, until I discovered that most of their ratchets don't rotate smoothly and even get completely jammed. Their quality control department must have been laid off.

Next, I bought an S-K ratchet set hoping for better quality, but I was still disappointed. One ratchet was broken out of the box, and the other two needed adjustment. The S-Ks are designed so that the entire ratchet mechanism is held together by a single screw which must be tightened perfectly or the tool will not work. This seems like a terrible design which will need constant adjustment, so I sent them back.

Regarding "Made in China," you all were not kidding about avoiding this stuff if you need a decent tool. The quality control is horrendous: one utility knife I bought was so poorly cast that the blade was completely trapped in the body of the knife.

I eventually hunted down some Snap-On ratchets on ebay, and I'm happy with them.

Highlights of my trunk kit:

Snap-On ratchets 1/4" 3/8"
Craftsman easy-to-read sockets
Lug nut sockets
A few u-joints and socket extensions
Breaker bar 1/2"
Beam-style torque wrench
Screwdriver with assorted bits
Box-end wrenches
Small dead blow mallet
Assorted pliers
Wire cutter/stripper/crimper
Utility knife

I might buy a set of trim removal tools, too.

This should cover most of the maintenance and other work I already do using my father's tools. Per yall's advice, I'll buy more tools as I need them to build a more complete set. Hopefully by next year I'll have my own place and I'll have to go buy a jack and other large items.

Ethyx fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 14, 2009

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying a pressure washer over renting one. I can't find prices on home depot's web page, but I've heard people say $50 - $100 to rent a gas powered, 2000psi washer from home depot. I've seen 1400 psi electric washers go for $100 online, and (supposedly) 2000 psi electric washers for $150 (no name brands though). I just want to clean my deck and various other things around the house / yard, not strip the paint, so am I better off buying a cheap washer?

*edit*
What about a Karcher 1800 psi washer for $179, like this one?
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Karcher-K3.48M/p1466.html?source=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=shop+portals

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 14, 2009

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My dad died two days before Christmas so my 16 year old brother had to become a man pretty quickly. I gave him my entire tool set and a factory service manual for my mom's car and have been helping him make repairs when necessary. I haven't had the money to build another good tool set so I've been doing everything on my car with a standard 154 piece Craftsman tool set. Surprisingly, I've only once had to go to a store to buy a tool I didn't have. I bought a condo so no access to exterior electrical or a garage to put a compressor in. Since I got my MR2 I've been wishing I would have bought a house instead :(

antonio97b
Sep 21, 2008
I just ordered a 10 drawer 26 inch wide two piece Craftsman toolbox from sears I got it on sale for 445 shipped. I'm starting to expand my tool set and my Husky toolbag isn't cutting it anymore. I checked it out at the store and it was pretty nice. It's as tall as me and I have to stand on my tip toes to actually see the top part of the chest. It should hold most things I have for quite a while. Ball bearing too!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009H0369000B?keyword=62026

My tool set contains

20 screw drivers/torx/nut drivers
Metric combo wrench set
3 adj wrenches
3lb hammer and ball pein
1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch ratchet socket set for the 1/4 and the 3/8 and about 6 various 1/2 sockets + various extensions and joints
Steering wheel puller
Gappers
Pliers (linemans, needle nose (large and small), snap ring
Diagonal cutters
Channel locks
Trisquare
Tape measure
Angle grinder

As you can see my husky bag is over flowing. When my toolbox arrives next week my tools will have a lot of room to breathe. I still need to get a couple big items like an engine hoist and an engine stand. If anyone has any suggestions on brands that would be great.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I picked up a motorcycle stand today and the front fork lift adapters from Harborfreight. The stand was $37 and the adapters were $10 and they are made by Haulmaster. I'll let you know how I like it once I mess with it some more.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ethyx posted:

Next, I bought an S-K ratchet set hoping for better quality, but I was still disappointed. One ratchet was broken out of the box, and the other two needed adjustment. The S-Ks are designed so that the entire ratchet mechanism is held together by a single screw which must be tightened perfectly or the tool will not work. This seems like a terrible design which will need constant adjustment, so I sent them back.

Um, you must have either A) gotten a completely hosed up set, or B) cranked down on the allen-head screw and thought that was OK, because I've got 4 S-K ratchets that have been used on pretty much every job I've done over the past 5 years, and I've yet to TOUCH the screw, except when I disassemble them for cleaning/lubing. I just tension it so the ratchet works, and don't gently caress with it again. The oldest S-K I have is from circa 1965, and has lived a rough life. Its still tight, and has only limited wear on the pawls. I have a rebuild kit for it, but haven't needed it yet.

On the other hand, I can't stand ratchets that use a circlip or retaining clip to hold the guts together, because as the backing plate wears (and they do), you can't tighten up the action. Snap-On uses 2 screws, which is nice, but you still can't really tighten up the action when they start to get loose, plus the threads are pretty small, and I know at least a few people who have had them strip or break off in the ratchet head.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
This 20% coupon goes through 5/2/09.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...95&keycode=0000

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

I'd also like to invest in a medium quality battery impact gun (drill? dunno what to call it) for quickly unmounting and mounting wheels. The rally team I volunteered for had one and it made swapping wheels much much faster. Set to some low torque threshold, and finish off with the torque wrench. Any model recommendations?

anyone?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I've got the same question, pretty much. My camaro started making some godawful noises and started smoking so badly last night driving home from the airport, I honestly thought it was on fire, and stopped the car to check! Turns out my pinion seal is pretty much gone. Long story short, there's a 200lb nut on there I need to take off. I'm looking at it as an excuse to buy that impact wrench I've been wanting for a while but couldn't justify.

Can you recommend me a good (but affordable) impact wrench? I don't have a compressor, so electric is preferred to save me the cost of a compressor.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Use a real impact wrench, the kind you hit with a hammer. I think they are 20 bucks, plus you need the hammer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's just that when you're working on the car on stage or at the service area, you wanna work as fast as you can. If I were to get a flat, I wouldn't want to be stuck using a lug wrench to change the wheel. Surely this tool exists? The team I worked for had something like I'm describing.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

It's just that when you're working on the car on stage or at the service area, you wanna work as fast as you can. If I were to get a flat, I wouldn't want to be stuck using a lug wrench to change the wheel. Surely this tool exists? The team I worked for had something like I'm describing.
Lowes has one for $200.

si
Apr 26, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

http://www.soloperformance.com/Cordless-Impact-Guns-and-Accesories_c_10.html

No idea as to the quality or anything, but I've seen guys using them at autocrosses.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You're just looking for a battery impact. We've got a Milwaukee that gets carried around, and it's excellent thus far. If you're finishing with a torque wrench, just put everything on lightly and torque it up. Once you get used to a specific impact, you can get a decent (read: not astonishing) feel for how tight things are going on.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm looking for a recommendation for an air impact wrench. Air supply is not an issue (see my compressor on page 8); the C-H gun I bought years ago never seems to supply more than about 20-lbs of torque on the highest setting & can't loosen a lug nut for poo poo. I have ruled out a kinked hose & am running 125-psi through. It annoyed me as I'm rebuilding brakes on my Bonneville today.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an air impact wrench. Air supply is not an issue (see my compressor on page 8); the C-H gun I bought years ago never seems to supply more than about 20-lbs of torque on the highest setting & can't loosen a lug nut for poo poo. I have ruled out a kinked hose & am running 125-psi through. It annoyed me as I'm rebuilding brakes on my Bonneville today.

I got the 1/2" Earthquake from HF, on sale for $80, and a 20% off coupon. It is heavy as gently caress, but throws some serious torque. Once I get my big compressor fired up correctly, I'm going to love using it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

I got the 1/2" Earthquake from HF, on sale for $80, and a 20% off coupon. It is heavy as gently caress, but throws some serious torque. Once I get my big compressor fired up correctly, I'm going to love using it.

Agreed. I have the same one. Interestingly, I just set up one for my dad today and he had a larger diameter hose going from his compressor to the gun. Made a BIG difference in the way the gun felt -- it felt much stronger, which makes sense, since it's got a larger hose feeding higher volume to it.

I'll be getting a larger diameter air hose for my set up soon.

si
Apr 26, 2004
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=221131-28309-2317G

I bought this kit from Lowe's, as my local one had it on clearance for 49.99. Works great for everything I've used it for, including ripping a rusted suspension bolt out of an 06 WRX that had seized to the point that the impact removed all of the thread from the bolt while taking it off the nut.

This was after failing to be able to turn it using a 6 foot cheater on a breaker.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

si posted:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=221131-28309-2317G

I bought this kit from Lowe's, as my local one had it on clearance for 49.99. Works great for everything I've used it for, including ripping a rusted suspension bolt out of an 06 WRX that had seized to the point that the impact removed all of the thread from the bolt while taking it off the nut.

This was after failing to be able to turn it using a 6 foot cheater on a breaker.

an IR impact gun for $50 is an awesome deal never mind an air ratchet and sockets too

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Ethyx posted:

Regarding "Made in China," you all were not kidding about avoiding this stuff if you need a decent tool. The quality control is horrendous: one utility knife I bought was so poorly cast that the blade was completely trapped in the body of the knife.

I got a pack of 3 cheap snap off razors at Sears a while back. One of them had a small shard of razor cast into the outside of the handle, so it looked like a bit of casting mold residue. Nope, it was ~1.5mm of razor that cut the poo poo out of my finger the first time I used it.

Good job, China.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

AnnoyBot posted:

I got a pack of 3 cheap snap off razors at Sears a while back. One of them had a small shard of razor cast into the outside of the handle, so it looked like a bit of casting mold residue. Nope, it was ~1.5mm of razor that cut the poo poo out of my finger the first time I used it.

Good job, China.

I would have raised HELL over that.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

si posted:

Holy poo poo. Where is your local Lowe's? This looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

Holy poo poo. Where is your local Lowe's? This looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

St. Louis (Ballwin) -- was about 1-2 months ago now though, they had 3 of them sitting on the shelf when I got mine.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

si posted:

St. Louis (Ballwin) -- was about 1-2 months ago now though, they had 3 of them sitting on the shelf when I got mine.

Darn. I would love to grab something like that at the same price, but it looks like I missed out. Maybe next time!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

si posted:

We have two Ingersoll Rand impacts. One is rather old and the other is brand new. The old one gets constant use and the new one wanders around for mobile use. They're both absolutely bulletproof and I can't really imagine working on a car without one.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Cross posted from Cycles subforum:

I just noticed this in the latest HF circular:

Motorcycle rear stand $36.99

Fork adapter $9.99

Some more competition in the cheap stands market.

ChiliMac fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 21, 2009

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

RealKyleH posted:

This 20% coupon goes through 5/2/09.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...95&keycode=0000

Can I just print and bring this coupon or do I have to change the "customer number" poo poo?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
you can print it

StatutoryApe
Nov 25, 2008
kimbo305 posted:
I'd also like to invest in a medium quality battery impact gun (drill? dunno what to call it) for quickly unmounting and mounting wheels. The rally team I volunteered for had one and it made swapping wheels much much faster. Set to some low torque threshold, and finish off with the torque wrench. Any model recommendations?

I leave this one in my truck
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=80476&group_ID=19913&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

It works unbelievably. It outperforms all but the best air impact wrenches.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Do anyone have experience with Harbor Freights engine stands? I am looking at their 1000 lbs. stand since the Chevy 216 I have weights about 700 lbs max.

Here is a link to the stand:

Engine Stand

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That stand isn't the best, but I would use it for anything but a big block, I doubt your engine weights 700 lbs though. I use one for a small block it is sturdy enough.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

That stand isn't the best, but I would use it for anything but a big block, I doubt your engine weights 700 lbs though. I use one for a small block it is sturdy enough.

You're right. My guess was a bit too high. According to this chart that it only weights 630 lbs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

StatutoryApe posted:

I leave this one in my truck
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=80476&group_ID=19913&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

It works unbelievably. It outperforms all but the best air impact wrenches.
While that looks amazing and comes with Snapon quality, it's out of my price range. How is ZNEX as a brand? I widened my CL search and came up with a ZNEX model:
http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/1134272948.html
Never heard of them before.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mooecow posted:

You're right. My guess was a bit too high. According to this chart that it only weights 630 lbs.

Then get a stand thats rated to 1000# at least. First of all, HF's stuff is only so-so quality to begin with, and 630+you pushing down on a ratchet to tighten a crank bolt could easily add another 70 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you working on that old poo poo, I would buy a better stand with the legs on the outside, and not welded in china and put together with unrated bolts. I assumed you were insane when you said it was 700 pounds. I would use something better. This stand is more for the 300 pound I can pick it up if I have to by hand type of engine.