Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ry
Apr 14, 2003

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Is it a turbo or an NA? I sort of want to buy an N/A 4wd one and see what I could do to the engine without turboing it.

Sorry I have a weird fetish for N/A Jap cars, I want an N/A 300ZX and everything. I really love the whole early 90s Japanese sports cars but most of them have been so poorly maintained or are generally not that reliable that it'd be nice to have a decently performing one without all the twin turbo bullshit.

Its a base model (FWD) I bought for $900 with a blown engine, then I found a twin turbo donor and pulled the drivetrain. If you are in the US all of the NA's will be FWD.

I always liked the 90s japanese sports cars and just stumbled across this one, with the horror stories I heard I didn't expect much but with my fairly limited driving (20k in three years) it has been rock solid. The 3000GT is an extremely undervalued car and I would recommend it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Luckily I'm in Canada where I can bring in an older one from Japan. I can get a twin turbo for pretty cheap but if I was going to get an early 90s Japanese car of questionable reliability it'd be an FD over a GTO. If anything it'd probably be like the FD where its never completely broken and can still be used to get around, its just rarely going to be working 100% until you get down and replace a bunch of poo poo. Most of these cars are pretty solid if they're taken care of but its pretty much a guarantee they've all seen at least one abusive owner by now.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Is it a turbo or an NA? I sort of want to buy an N/A 4wd one and see what I could do to the engine without turboing it.

Sorry I have a weird fetish for N/A Jap cars, I want an N/A 300ZX and everything. I really love the whole early 90s Japanese sports cars but most of them have been so poorly maintained or are generally not that reliable that it'd be nice to have a decently performing one without all the twin turbo bullshit.

Don't even bother with the NA variants of any of the 90's Japanese sports cars. In most cases, they cannot or will not tolerate the same stresses as their forced induction siblings without considerably expensive and intensive engine work, or else not at all. NA GTO's fall into the former category. For instance, all NA GTO's were FWD and the 6G72 needs to have a few things done to it internally and externally in order for it to handle unnatural aspiration (mainly dropping the compression ratio), but it's still a mixed bag and wrong-wheel drive. NA JZA80 Supras fall into the latter category (2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE have different blocks entirely).

The only Japanese NA cars that can handle forced induction with minimal engine buildup that I've heard of are Hondas, but those really depend on the level of boost and they all require some engine tweaking. The NA 300ZX is also pretty decent as the VG30DE is very similar to the VG30DETT but again, it'll take some engine work in order for it to handle boost.

Just get one that came turbocharged and do a turbo upgrade. That way you'll know the engine will handle the boost without breaking a sweat AND make great power.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
For most of those turbo cars, I'd basically be happy with the stock engine, maybe an exhaust, decent suspension, and some solid tires. I just wish they weren't such crapshoots buying used.

DoomCenturion
Aug 4, 2007

drat space alien demons killed my rabbit

frozenphil posted:

I'm jealous, but you really should have held out for another year or two. :(

Its really loving hard to wait for two years when my current car is busted to poo poo. I'd rather stop paying $1000 a month on rentals. The 1990 toyota camry died the very day after I paid the last few thousand on my student loans. gently caress

DoomCenturion fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 14, 2009

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
I got new wheels :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

omgitstheinternet posted:

I got new wheels :)

Glad you decided to stick with it.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

My new car at the dealer's last Saturday when I went to pick it up.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Taken with my Iphone. I have better pictures and plan on posting them when I have some time (and working Internet as I just moved).
It's a 2008 Cayman I got a good deal on - sadly, you cannot see the sexy backside in the picture.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

For most of those turbo cars, I'd basically be happy with the stock engine, maybe an exhaust, decent suspension, and some solid tires. I just wish they weren't such crapshoots buying used.

Japanese sports cars that came with either blown or NA variants had the FI model slotting above the NA one, so you'd really be cheating yourself going for the NA. I reiterate, best NA Japanese sports cars are Hondas, plain and simple. Unfortunately, Honda only makes two that aren't wrong-wheel drive (unless you're cool with an Integra or a Civic Type R) , both will run you at least $20K and only one of them is available as a grey-market import. The only other option is to find a much older car, like a KGPC110 Skyline GT-R or Toyota 2000GT, but they're pretty much collector's items now. I did however find that the NA Z32 can be pretty loving awesome :iamafag:.

I feel your pain, though. This stupid "15-years-or-older" law doesn't make any sense and whenever someone tries to defend it, the law makes even less sense.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

morothar posted:

My new car at the dealer's last Saturday when I went to pick it up.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Taken with my Iphone. I have better pictures and plan on posting them when I have some time (and working Internet as I just moved).
It's a 2008 Cayman I got a good deal on - sadly, you cannot see the sexy backside in the picture.

Is it a Cayman or a Cayman S? How much did you take it home for?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Fortress TB posted:

I did however find that the NA Z32 can be pretty loving awesome :iamafag:.

Every time I tell myself I won't read youtube comments it lasts about 2 hours, then I see some video and go "hmm I wonder what people thought about this...Oh they're all loving retarded, I am never reading youtube comments again."

Then it all repeats.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

DoesNotCompute posted:

Every time I tell myself I won't read youtube comments it lasts about 2 hours, then I see some video and go "hmm I wonder what people thought about this...Oh they're all loving retarded, I am never reading youtube comments again."

Then it all repeats.

You know, I went through the exact same thing, perfectly in sync with you.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Here's my '84 Volkswagen Golf with a trunk Jetta TX, now with nicer looking summer wheels.

A quite charming little car in that 1980's econobox sort of way :unsmith:

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Here's my '84 Volkswagen Golf with a trunk Jetta TX, now with nicer looking summer wheels.

A quite charming little car in that 1980's econobox sort of way :unsmith:

that's in really nice shape

here's my old 84 that I'm trying to buy back from its new owner

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Belldandy posted:

Is it a Cayman or a Cayman S? How much did you take it home for?

The sticker price was about 60 k€ and I got it for 50 k€. Translates to about 17% discount which for Porsche in Germany is not bad at all.
Don't bother figuring out the $ price or be prepared for a heart attack.

It's only a lowly Cayman, as the S would have run me 60 k€ after discount. Seeing as I had planned to spend about 40-45 k€ on a mildly used car, that was simply too much for me to stomach.
So far, I am quite happy with the power, although you need to be alert enough if you want to move the car fast - at revs below 4,200, it is barely quick, you need to keep it a good bit above that for it to be fast.
Corners like like a slot car though - the speeds I can go through serpentines at are patently ridiculous.

Once it is broken in, I plan on taking it to the Nuernburgring on a weekend, which is only about 100 miles from where I live.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Very nice, I like the lowered look. Mine would look better if lowered a little bit too, but one of the previous owners was nice enough to install new suspension and shocks on all four corners so I'd feel bad for tampering with it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

morothar posted:

Once it is broken in, I plan on taking it to the Nuernburgring on a weekend, which is only about 100 miles from where I live.

It should be illegal to sell Porsches to anyone except people like you. Glad to hear that it will be used properly!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Oh thank god you posted those photos again! Can you tell me what wheels they have? I really want to see if the company that makes those makes some that will fit my Focus.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

What kind of car is that? Oh right, the obligatory roofracks. Must be a VW. Yakima 24/7 baby!

Not trying to poo poo all over the car, it's nice looking, but god modded VWs are so cookie cutter (slammed, 10" wide wheels with 195 series tire, roof rack).

I'm just jealous because I own lovely cars :)

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows

Shampoo posted:

Oh thank god you posted those photos again! Can you tell me what wheels they have? I really want to see if the company that makes those makes some that will fit my Focus.

They are made my diamond racing, and I believe the website is https://www.diamondracingwheels.com They will definitely have a wheel to fit your focus as they are made to order to your specs. Pretty cheap too!

dreesemonkey posted:

What kind of car is that? Oh right, the obligatory roofracks. Must be a VW. Yakima 24/7 baby!

Not trying to poo poo all over the car, it's nice looking, but god modded VWs are so cookie cutter (slammed, 10" wide wheels with 195 series tire, roof rack).

I'm just jealous because I own lovely cars
Hey, I used that roofrack often for practical reasons, bicycle transportation/furniture transportation/home improvement supplies transportation.

They may follow a pretty standard guideline for modification but it works, and really what else do you expect, lambo doors and underglow kits? By the way, the wheels are 7.5", and at least custom 14x7.5 steelies are a little more original than the standard bbs RMs with polished lips and gold bolts.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

DoesNotCompute posted:

Then it all repeats.

ab0z posted:

You know, I went through the exact same thing, perfectly in sync with you.

My condolences to both of you.

Content: my dad's car. Work in progress, body-off-frame resto 1964 Corvette Stingray. Apologies for lovely Blackberry photo quality.

Frame

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Body

Engine (and Dad)

He hopes to be driving it by summer... which is what he said last year :(

(edited for error)

Taaaaaaarb! fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 17, 2009

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

Volvo 240 and 850

atlas barfed fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 12, 2010

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
(cut from Z-car thread)

Baby's BACK.

My 300ZX is back from Atlanta, and because of a chunk of metal in the road, also sporting some new Kosei something wheels. They are an iridescent gold/green/every color, and they look good.

From the dyno, it made 370whp and 420wtq. Everything is set up, including the carbon dual plate clutch and 615cc injectors, for some bigger turbos. I have everything ready to just drop new turbos in for 550-600whp, tune it, and drive off. Here's a picture! There's another/bigger at Flickr

There's some minor cosmetic damage because people just can't seem to see this car out of their huge trucks, so I gave up. That from dent was some idiot in a f150 backing into me as I stood still in a drive through. Them's the breaks, but the mechanicals and frame/everything else are pristine now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 15, 2009

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Fortress TB posted:

Content: my dad's car. Work in progress, body-off-frame resto 1963 Corvette Stingray.

As a '63, shouldn't that be a split window? I know a lot of people took the split bar out back in the day, but if he's going to this much restoration trouble why wouldn't you put it back in?

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

Derty posted:

That picture is absolutely gorgeous.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

Method Loser posted:

(cut from Z-car thread)

Baby's BACK.

My 300ZX is back from Atlanta, and because of a chunk of metal in the road, also sporting some new Kosei something wheels. They are an iridescent gold/green/every color, and they look good.

From the dyno, it made 370whp and 420wtq. Everything is set up, including the carbon dual plate clutch and 615cc injectors, for some bigger turbos. I have everything ready to just drop new turbos in for 550-600whp, tune it, and drive off. Here's a picture! There's another/bigger at Flickr

There's some minor cosmetic damage because people just can't seem to see this car out of their huge trucks, so I gave up. That from dent was some idiot in a f150 backing into me as I stood still in a drive through. Them's the breaks, but the mechanicals and frame/everything else are pristine now.

What about that truck? Is it a Toyota?

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
The winter is finally over! :dance:

Looks a hell of a lot better than with the winter-hubcaps!

Mack the Knife
Feb 8, 2004

would you like to buy a monkey?

Click here for the full 1373x927 image.

After 20 years of RWD V8's... I never had as much fun.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Fortress TB posted:

He hopes to be driving it by summer... which is what he said last year :(
:smith:

Method Loser posted:

(cut from Z-car thread)

We really need to hit up Steele sometime.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ry posted:

The 3000GT is an extremely undervalued car

No its not. Its very heavy, the NA ones are horribly slow and the TT ones are horribly unreliable

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

LloydDobler posted:

As a '63, shouldn't that be a split window? I know a lot of people took the split bar out back in the day, but if he's going to this much restoration trouble why wouldn't you put it back in?

WHOOPS! I confuse '63 and '64 drat near every time. It is actually a '64 - my bad.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
I have to post one more, just because I think it looked really good, just took this pic a couple of hours ago.

Click here for the full 781x410 image.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

redscare posted:

No its not. Its very heavy, the NA ones are horribly slow and the TT ones are horribly unreliable

Thanks for the information, you saved me a lot of money by warning me of this important fact!

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I get jealous of all the nice E30's I see on AI. Screw you all and your nice older BMW's. :(

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

frozenphil posted:

:smith:

We really need to hit up Steele sometime.

Yes, you should PM me your phone number :v:

As for the truck, it's just a lifted 92 Toyota shortbed, regular cab 4x4 on 32" tires and a small lift. And a winch. And some lights on a rollbar. Haven't gotten it stuck ever!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

My old 99 Eclipse RS on the right. I really miss that car. (Also, it is now apparent to me that I can't back into a spot to save my life.)

My SRT-4. Not much done save for a few bolt on's and 93,000 miles.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Quick camera phone (LG Voyager) shot I took Saturday after detailing my TSX in preparation for the UCONN car show... bolt-ons, suspension, and cosmetic stuff. Supercharger coming soon.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

Quick camera phone (LG Voyager) shot I took Saturday after detailing my TSX in preparation for the UCONN car show... bolt-ons, suspension, and cosmetic stuff. Supercharger coming soon.

Beautiful ride

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Wamsutta posted:

Supercharger coming soon.
Thats what they all say :rice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

RealKyleH posted:

Thats what they all say :rice:

500rwhp when my turbo is done.

Seriously Wamsutta, I wouldn't recommend supercharging it. It's way more worth your money to sell it stock and buying a better car. Unless you think you're gonna keep the car a long time, just grit your teeth and save your money.