Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Leviathan posted:

Binging through Dead Like Me again before I watch the movie. I really cannot state enthusiastically enough how good this show is (but to give you a frame of reference, AD and The Wire are both 9.7's at IMDB, DLM is an 8.9).

I probably watch the full Dead Like Me series every 4 or 5 months.
I just sit down, and throw the episodes on.

It's easily my favourite series, It's just really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Leviathan posted:

What do you think of the accuracy of metacritic?
Not a fan.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

SereneCrimson posted:

I probably watch the full Dead Like Me series every 4 or 5 months.
I just sit down, and throw the episodes on.

It's easily my favourite series, It's just really good.

I think I'll start doing this as well. I used to just watch the episode "Nighthawks" whenever I needed a fix.

Zuffox posted:

Not a fan.

Dammit, what is a good TV review site?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I discovered Battlestar Galactica a week or so ago, and I'm currently on Season 3, Episode 3. So many :psyduck: moments.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Leviathan posted:

Dammit, what is a good TV review site?
Don't know any. :/

Swedish TV-kalendern recommends similar shows to the ones you subscribe to, and maybe other features allow you to go explore.

Maybe Jinni, too.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I have been watching The Wire for about 2 weeks now and am on Season 5. I can honestly say this is the best show I've ever watched- the only thing that even comes close is Rome.

Every single character contributes to the story- it's like a masterfully written novel and doesn't pull any loving punches. If anyone hasn't watched this show, do yourself a favor: buy the boxed set and clear your schedule for a few weeks. You won't regret it.

Oh I also just read the other day that it's Obama's favorite show, and that Omar is his favorite character. If I knew nothing else about him, I'd respect him as a leader just for that.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Life. I remember hearing vague praise for it, and seeing as how it made it to a second season, I figured it couldn't be overhyped (hello, Lie to Me!)...and I am not disappointed. I'm only three episodes in, but in each there's been a moment that caught me completely off-guard with its uniqueness in relationship to other cop shows (Crews telling that shooting victim "it's all just a bad dream, go back to sleep" as he dies or the soundless, desaturated flashbang chase come to mind). Highly recommended.

One question, though: Does it maintain this level of quality? I could give a poo poo about the actual cop stories, although I kind of like that they're more vanilla than your average modern weekly mystery...I just want to see good direction and writing.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 24, 2009

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I recently binged through Metalocalypse and Death Metal City (metalocalypse-like anime). I was never much of a metal fan before, but I sure am now.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.

Frontalot posted:

One question, though: Does it maintain this level of quality? I could give a poo poo about the actual cop stories, although I kind of like that they're more vanilla than your average modern weekly mystery...I just want to see good direction and writing.

Life is, and remains, a high-quality, well-written show.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Finally saw the end of The West Wing. If I were to advize newcomers to the series, I'd tell them not to bother after Season 4.

No Aaron Sorkin, no The West Wing.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

I'm in the mood for a good procedural, and there seem to be a ton available right now all with slightly different premises, anyone have any good recommendations?

I'm talking about the likes of Bones, Life, Lie to Me, Castle, The Unusuals, The Mentalist etc... Usually appreciate something with a bit of a lighter tone, interesting characters and the like.

Also throwing out a recommendation for Chuck, just watched the first season of it and found it incredibly entertaining.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Cart posted:

I'm in the mood for a good procedural, and there seem to be a ton available right now all with slightly different premises, anyone have any good recommendations?

Bones. Cannot recommend it highly enough. So many fun characters, there's a lot of humor, and unlike a lot of shows, I never know who actually did it until they reveal it at the end. Though I haven't seen the other shows you mentioned, I LOVE Bones, you should definitely give it a shot.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Cart posted:

Also throwing out a recommendation for Chuck, just watched the first season of it and found it incredibly entertaining.

Season 2 blows season 1 out of the water. Last night's episode was one of the best hours of TV I've seen in a long time, and there's still 1 more episode to go! :dance:

I've been catching up on Rescue Me via Hulu the last few weeks. Definitely a show worth watching, I'm in the middle of season 4 now though and all of the "Look at who we kill off next / look how Tommy's life is poo poo now!" stuff is starting to get a little old, but it's definitely entertaining.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Cart posted:

I'm talking about the likes of Bones, Life, Lie to Me, Castle, The Unusuals, The Mentalist etc... Usually appreciate something with a bit of a lighter tone, interesting characters and the like.

Bones is not appointment television but is pretty consistently good, and about as light a procedural drama you'll find.

I will be one of many echoing the Chuck recommendation. The first season was entertaining but uneven, especially in the early episodes where they were establishing the premise. A solid show to record and watch whenever, but not something I terribly looked forward to every week. The second season has gotten so good that it's blown by 30 Rock and Lost to become my favorite show on television, and is rapidly moving up the all-time list. Not only is it a great show, but it's a fun show, and there aren't many that are both.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Cart posted:

Las Vegas is good fun.

For several reasons - some of them being pretty obvious.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Cart posted:

I'll say Psych. It gets better (less in your face) after the initial episodes, but finds it's way early on. You probably know it as the 'comedy' version of the Mentalist.

TysonR
Jul 13, 2004
=)
I recently checked out Stand Off. A TV show hasn't made me spend a whole weekend blowing through the episodes like that since Lost.

It has a fast pace, great chemistry between all the characters, there's always several things going on at once or an underlying problem that you can slowly pick up on if you follow what is going on close enough.

I really wish there was a second season. =(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cart posted:

I like Castle and the Unusuals, and I'm not a procedural guy at all. The procedural parts of Castle are kind of ho-hum but Nathan Fillion is a blast to watch, he really makes the show. And the Unusuals is ... unusual. It doesn't seem to be everyone's "thing" but I guess I like it mostly because of the sheer eccentricity of the characters.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Finally tried It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia again and downed it in short order. Started up on Cupid, which is fun for Jeremy Piven.

Just finished going through DS9 a second time with my friends. Took us two years to finish!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Would anyone care to suggest some new shows for me to binge on?

Been through (or following) and Loved:
Firefly
Arrested Development
30 Rock
Weeds
The Office
Stargate
BSG

Tried and did not like:
Angel
Buffy
Bones

Probably others, but thats off the cuff. Looking for something a bit more "serious" - getting a little tiny bit burnt out on lighter comedy.

Appreciate any insight.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I just finished the first season of Dead Like Me after my roommate recommended it, but he told me also that they leave some loose ends in season 2 and that the movie is garbage. I'll still finish the series and watch the movie eventually, but does it come to any sort of satisfying conclusion? Do we find out how Rube died? Is the picture in Rube's wallet explored at all? Is Betty ever seen again?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Walked posted:

Firefly
Arrested Development
30 Rock
Weeds
The Office
Stargate
BSG

Tried and did not like:
Angel
Buffy
Bones

Probably others, but thats off the cuff. Looking for something a bit more "serious" - getting a little tiny bit burnt out on lighter comedy.

Appreciate any insight.

Not sure if you watch any of these but they're all excellent and more along the lines of what you're looking for.

Dexter
The Shield
Rescue Me
Mad Men
The Wire

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Not sure if you watch any of these but they're all excellent and more along the lines of what you're looking for.

Dexter
The Shield
Rescue Me
Mad Men
The Wire

Did not like Dexter; mainly the actors though.
The Shield is on my list of things to check out; but its a big undertaking it seems.
Rescue Me I had not looked into; thanks.
I have Mad Men waiting for me; but the plot / description is questionable as to whether or not itll be up my alley.
The Wire is what I'm currently working on; but I need something to watch with the Fiancee too, and she's not into this :) (her tastes otherwise more or less mimic mine though)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Walked posted:

Firefly
Arrested Development
30 Rock
Weeds
The Office
Stargate
BSG

Tried and did not like:
Angel
Buffy
Bones

Appreciate any insight.

Don't know if you've seen it but the first 4 seasons of the West Wing are Where It's At. Also the UK version of Life on Mars (not the crummy US one) is great.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Don't know if you've seen it but the first 4 seasons of the West Wing are Where It's At.

As of yesterday, Best Buy had individual seasons of The West Wing for $19, which is really cheap.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After recently finishing up the entire five seasons of The Wire (GODDAMN! WHAT A SHOW!) and the one season of Firefly (plus Serenity), I've just gone through the first two seasons of Venture Bros. and been absolutely blown away by it, it's so good.

I'll probably wait a little to pick up season 3, in the meantime I'm gonna start up on The Shield soon and watch it PROPERLY for the first time, as I always saw unrelated episodes here and there when it originally ran.

thingfromtheswamp
Feb 25, 2009
The Office Season 3, which was great. I liked Karen, but well we know how that ends. Started on Season 4 as well. Why are the first four eps about 40 mins long? They should stick to the 20-22 min format.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I've just gone through the first two seasons of Venture Bros. and been absolutely blown away by it, it's so good.

Yeah, it's really something special. Season 3 isn't as good - hell of a lot of 'continuity' episodes that basically explain a crapload and lose a bit of fun in the process - but hey, it's the same characters and the same writers so it's all gonna be worth it. Eagerly awaiting season 4.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Yeah, it's really something special. Season 3 isn't as good - hell of a lot of 'continuity' episodes that basically explain a crapload and lose a bit of fun in the process - but hey, it's the same characters and the same writers so it's all gonna be worth it. Eagerly awaiting season 4.

I was very impressed with the way that what felt like throwaway joke scenes about the character's younger lives were then sewn together quite nicely a few episodes down the line, so I'm all for more continuity stuff as long as it doesn't screw with the comedy.

Plus I like to imagine that the tall henchman (21 or 24? I always mix them up) is Ray Romano.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Walked posted:

Give Breaking Bad a shot. The first 'season' is just 7 episodes. (it was cut short because of the writer's strike)

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I gotta argue with you there, I thought the show has just gotten better and better every season. I thought nothing could top season 2 ("Escape to the House of Mummies" and "I Know Why the Caged Bird Kills" are personal favorites), but I have watched "The Lepidoptorists" more times than I can count and crack up every time. The one thing that made me a little sad in season 3 was the lack of Phantom Limb - he was in, what, like one episode?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I really wanna rewatch the whole season. So brilliant.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Count Choculitis posted:

I gotta argue with you there, I thought the show has just gotten better and better every season. I thought nothing could top season 2 ("Escape to the House of Mummies" and "I Know Why the Caged Bird Kills" are personal favorites), but I have watched "The Lepidoptorists" more times than I can count and crack up every time. The one thing that made me a little sad in season 3 was the lack of Phantom Limb - he was in, what, like one episode?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I really wanna rewatch the whole season. So brilliant.

I agree it's got fantastic episodes (Lepidopterists is hilarious) but I really think season 2 was an absolute triumph in every episode and season 3 didn't quite get the same clean sweep. To each their own, of course, and I'm cool with your view. I thought season 3 really skimped on the Orpheus as well as Phantom Limb. I've always loved him.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I just finished Dead like me the other night.
I finally caved, although I never ever wanted to start watching a show that had been prematurely cancelled or did not receive a renewal.

Since there were no loose ends and no unfinished story arcs (there only have been two mini arcs, Rube's daughter and Ray, which both were resolved), the ending of the series was handled well, I guess. I would have loved to see more, because the ensemble cast really played well off another. I liked the change Daisy went through, from ditzy, obnoxious starlet to a more mature and darker character. Too bad she isn't in the movie.

Although I read that the movie wasn't well received, I will try to get hold of it, hoping that it will provide some real closure to the story.

And Ellen Muth is amazingly cute - in a very weird way though...

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Rescue Me. Great show. Been meaning to watch it the past 5 years, finally got around to it. Hulu has the first four seasons in near-entirety, I'm halfway through season 2, it's been pretty swell. The machismo disturbs me at times but I get that the show is merely reflecting the reality of the situation, not condoning it. Good show.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
:swoon:Carnivale:swoon: Is there a thread for this anywhere?

Except, well, technically, I only binged through the first season. Because then I got two episodes into the second season, got confused, read recaps of the rest of the season, and hated where everything went. I'll finish it anyway, because it could be that the recaps didn't do it justice, but I don't think I'll be watching five episodes in a row anymore. Goddamnit.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
My only fulfilled goal since my previous post has been The Office UK.

After the May finale season is done, I'm digging into a few I'd planned on getting to last year but fell behind:

The Sopranos: Saw season 5 when it aired, went back and started from the beginning last year, finished season 1 and got too busy to follow up.
Babylon 5: Seen the early stuff, haven't gotten to the really highly acclaimed parts yet.
The Wire: Seen none of it, trying not to let the hype overtake me.
Planetes: Not big on anime, but I love hard sci-fi and it's incredibly scarce in live action.

I estimate by the end of summer I'll have finished at least 2 of the 4.

Also agreeing with the sentiment of not watching Lost until it's over if you've never seen it. You'll miss out on some of the anticipation and theorizing though, which is a lot of the fun of it. Also it's worth it to pay close attention and process each episode a little bit after you've seen it (or even read about it on Lostpedia), because there are a TON of connections and little nods to previous episodes that you'll miss if you're going through at a fast pace.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2009

The Duke
May 19, 2004

mcbexx posted:

I just finished Dead like me the other night.
I finally caved, although I never ever wanted to start watching a show that had been prematurely cancelled or did not receive a renewal.

Since there were no loose ends and no unfinished story arcs (there only have been two mini arcs, Rube's daughter and Ray, which both were resolved), the ending of the series was handled well, I guess. I would have loved to see more, because the ensemble cast really played well off another. I liked the change Daisy went through, from ditzy, obnoxious starlet to a more mature and darker character. Too bad she isn't in the movie.

Although I read that the movie wasn't well received, I will try to get hold of it, hoping that it will provide some real closure to the story.

And Ellen Muth is amazingly cute - in a very weird way though...

I finished the series the other day too and there were still some mysteries I would've liked solved. For one, they never show Rube's "origin", though it's safe to assume he was some kind of criminal and got shot or something that night he left his daughter (WANTED poster in a previous episode). It struck me as odd they bothered to show you every other reaper's death pretty explicitly but Rube's is left to speculation. Another thing, what happened to Betty? She goes into someone's light and is never heard from/mentioned again. The next episode she's replaced by Daisy and things continue as normal for the rest of the show. Minor things: George being able to reap Graveling Ray and also seeing Gravelings when she was a kid.

And one final thing: Crystal. She obviously knows more than they bother to explain, such as helping the reapers with their computerized lists, dressing as a reaper on Halloween and obviously recognizing George when she returns to Happy Time in the final episode. Unexplained reaper or just loving crazy?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Duke posted:

I finished the series the other day too and there were still some mysteries I would've liked solved. For one, they never show Rube's "origin", though it's safe to assume he was some kind of criminal and got shot or something that night he left his daughter (WANTED poster in a previous episode).

Yeah, that is pretty much all the explanation I personally needed.
I liked that it was left somewhat in the dark and you needed to make your own conclusion.

The Duke posted:

It struck me as odd they bothered to show you every other reaper's death pretty explicitly but Rube's is left to speculation.

Uhm, I don't recall that any reaper's death was shown on the show (except for George's) - or are you referring to the movie? Haven't seen it yet.

The Duke posted:

Another thing, what happened to Betty?

I just figured that she was written off the show and left it at that.
It didn't bother me at all, I liked Daisy better after she settled in and found her place anyway.

The Duke posted:

And one final thing: Crystal. Unexplained reaper or just loving crazy?

My vote goes to "loving crazy". She was just a very peculiar side character in a quirky show.
I almost lost it when they showed her "boyfriend" (twice, no less).

The Duke
May 19, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Uhm, I don't recall that any reaper's death was shown on the show (except for George's) - or are you referring to the movie? Haven't seen it yet.

Mason: drilled a hole in his temple to achieve the "ultimate high"
Roxy: strangled by her roommate after inventing legwarmers
Daisy (not shown on screen): died in a fire on the set of Gone With the Wind (confirmed in series finale)

The Duke fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I'm chugging through Spaced, just 2 episodes left and I've been laughing riotously. I love the callbacks and Mike's general insanity.