Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So there is no easy way to just delete the duplicate file? Does anyone know if this is possible? because I have about 10k songs that have either 1 or more duplicates and 1 by 1 would take forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

fyallm posted:

So there is no easy way to just delete the duplicate file? Does anyone know if this is possible? because I have about 10k songs that have either 1 or more duplicates and 1 by 1 would take forever
How in gods name did you get so many duplicates? :psyduck: but no, i dont think its possible without the help of something like Dupe Eliminator, which is too expensive in my opinion.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
ugh, by having friends come over and dump their HD's into my music library and into new folders, it sucks really bad..

It seems there should be a simple solution to this, But I have been trying to figure it out for years and when I saw the ITunes Hints thread I thought I hit the jackpot!

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Well, guess you can do it the hard way: clean up your music directory and remove all dead links in itunes afterwards. At least i think there is no reason for you to keep all the duplicates on your hard drive?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Taking a guess that maybe their bit rates will be lower than yours? Just short by bit rate, and see if getting rid of some of the lower bitrate music will help fix the problem. EDIT: Even better, sort by date added, and you'll see all of the duplicates they added pretty much on the same day I imagine.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Posted this in the OS X software thread before I realized there was a dedicated iTunes one.

Has anyone found a way to import last.fm track playcounts into iTunes? I can do iTunes to last.fm just fine, but not the other way. I know there is a perl script around for the Windows version of iTunes, but none for OS X which is surprising considering the functionality of applescript. I might give it a shot myself if I can figure out how to parse last.fm stuff properly.

Edit: Didn't read the thread properly, sorry.

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 21, 2009

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Posted this in the OS X software thread before I realized there was a dedicated iTunes one.

Has anyone found a way to import last.fm track playcounts into iTunes? I can do iTunes to last.fm just fine, but not the other way. I know there is a perl script around for the Windows version of iTunes, but none for OS X which is surprising considering the functionality of applescript. I might give it a shot myself if I can figure out how to parse last.fm stuff properly.

xlevus talks about it on the previous page.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

IUG posted:

Taking a guess that maybe their bit rates will be lower than yours? Just short by bit rate, and see if getting rid of some of the lower bitrate music will help fix the problem. EDIT: Even better, sort by date added, and you'll see all of the duplicates they added pretty much on the same day I imagine.

This is a good idea, I will try that out today, Thanks for the tips!

LordSeXXXenb3rg
Apr 10, 2004
The king of procrastination
I'm reading through the whole thread now and there have been some great tips so far, but I came here looking for an answer to an odd problem I've been having.

Whenever I sync my touch, I get the error message below. Searching Apple support and google all seem to point to the file being renamed or moved, and that clicking on them in the library and locating them fixes the problem. This isn't my situation for a few reasons, the least of which is that these aren't listed in my library at all. If they were listed with the (!) that told me the file was gone, I'd try to open them, and then tell iTunes to delete the bastards, and be a happy camper.

I've unsubscribed, resynced, downloaded the same episodes again, resynced, deleted from computer, played them on the iPod, restored iPod to factory specs, everything I can think of. The only thing I haven't done is deleted my whole library file and rebuilt it by adding my files again - something I'm loathe to do since I know a good bit of my tags and album art is tied to the DB and not the files.

Any suggestions?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

When you looked for them/redownloaded them, you did this through the Podcast browser, and not just adding them to the Library, right?

LordSeXXXenb3rg
Apr 10, 2004
The king of procrastination

IUG posted:

When you looked for them/redownloaded them, you did this through the Podcast browser, and not just adding them to the Library, right?

That I did, yes.

Also in trying out something else just now, I realised that I still got the error even immediately after it confirms downloading the episode it's looking for (i.e. "Downloading episode 1 of 1 (2/5/09) to iPod" and then three seconds later "Some of the items... including (2/5/09) were not copied..."). Is it possible for an officially downloaded podcast to be in the library more than once or in more than one location?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Edit: Didn't read the thread properly, sorry.
Yeah, I've written something that'll do it (mostly). I'll post something tonight if I remember.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm going to be moving my windows install to a new hard disk in the very near future. I hate reinstalling iTunes and having to reconfigure my iPhone, and also losing all my (very carefully organized) albums, album art, audiobooks + artwork, etc.

Is there a way to maintain any of this across installations? I have like a dozen audiobooks on here, I spent a long time carefully organizing them and finding art for them, I don't want to do it again.

Even just saving my iTunes settings would be a plus.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 22, 2009

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm going to be moving my windows install to a new hard disk in the very near future. I hate reinstalling iTunes and having to reconfigure my iPhone, and also losing all my (very carefully organized) albums, album art, audiobooks + artwork, etc.

Is there a way to maintain any of this across installations? I have like a dozen audiobooks on here, I spent a long time carefully organizing them and finding art for them, I don't want to do it again.

Quoting because I want to know the answer. Googling moving xml files doesn't really help.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329 is a step-by-step for moving your library with an iPod, but you can do the same thing with an external hard drive. If you copy the whole iTunes folder from My Music, you won't lose your library. (Make sure you've got all your music in the iTunes/iTunes Music folder, i.e. consolidated!) I don't know how it affects iPhone syncing but I don't think it's a big deal.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Sorry that I wasn't clear -

Moving the music files is trivial. What I want to know is how to maintain iTunes settings, album art, and file options (audiobook, etc) that are NOT embedded in the music files.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Sorry that I wasn't clear -

Moving the music files is trivial. What I want to know is how to maintain iTunes settings, album art, and file options (audiobook, etc) that are NOT embedded in the music files.

Album art that you set manually is in the files themselves, album art that is automatically downloaded is in the 'Album Artwork' folder inside the iTunes folder (and you can use the Store to automatically re-get it), your iPhone apps are in there in 'Mobile Applications', and the file options/play counts/playlists/etc is in the iTunes Library.itl database file inside that folder.

What isn't in that folder is actual iTunes preferences like 'keep itunes music folder organized' and stuff like that, I'm not sure where that is. I'm also not positive about iPhone sync settings and iPhone backups. You'll also have to re-authorize your new install but that's simple. Make sure to deauthorize the old iTunes.

Just make sure to keep the old HD around for a bit and you can experiment with what needs to move over. Make sure to keep a backup of the .itl file and the xml, those hold the playlists and such.

There may be a problem if the drive letters change, but I think that's not a big deal if all your music is in the iTunes Music folder.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

chimz posted:

Album art that you set manually is in the files themselves, album art that is automatically downloaded is in the 'Album Artwork' folder inside the iTunes folder (and you can use the Store to automatically re-get it), your iPhone apps are in there in 'Mobile Applications', and the file options/play counts/playlists/etc is in the iTunes Library.itl database file inside that folder.

What isn't in that folder is actual iTunes preferences like 'keep itunes music folder organized' and stuff like that, I'm not sure where that is. I'm also not positive about iPhone sync settings and iPhone backups. You'll also have to re-authorize your new install but that's simple. Make sure to deauthorize the old iTunes.

Just make sure to keep the old HD around for a bit and you can experiment with what needs to move over. Make sure to keep a backup of the .itl file and the xml, those hold the playlists and such.

There may be a problem if the drive letters change, but I think that's not a big deal if all your music is in the iTunes Music folder.
So all I have to do is backup my music to an external drive (already done because it lives there already) and copy the itunes library file. Re install itunes and place my old library file over the new one itunes installed. As long as my music still resides on my mapped shared drive (X:\Music) it should retain play counts, ratings and everything else?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

dexter6 posted:

So all I have to do is backup my music to an external drive (already done because it lives there already) and copy the itunes library file. Re install itunes and place my old library file over the new one itunes installed. As long as my music still resides on my mapped shared drive (X:\Music) it should retain play counts, ratings and everything else?

Yes.

You should have said that it's on an external drive. Make sure the mapped drive letter is the same, and you should open iTunes before you copy over the library file and set the iTunes directory to your mapped drive like it is right now, and set the other advanced preferences the way you want them. Then close iTunes and put the file into the iTunes folder in My Music and restart it and everything should be right. Make sure to copy over the album art and iPhone apps too. Back up the library files just in case.

Aside: I haven't had to do this on Windows for a few years, and I live on Macs now so this might be outdated, but I don't think the important stuff has changed... I have done this multiple times on Windows and Macs though and it does work.

Martinb4
Feb 19, 2009
So my iTunes account got hacked today, two $50 gift cards were charged on it. Canceled my cc and now I have to wait until the charges go through for my bank to file a fraudulent charge with Apple in order for anyone to start looking at it. Hopefully I get my money back before too long. Doing some searching around looks like some others got hit this week the same way, anyone here get hit up?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Is there a way to get a smart playlist for all unrated tracks?

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK, so I'm putting songs onto my iPod Touch this morning, and want to look at the songs that I'm putting on it. But, lo and behold, the arrow that is normally to the left of the iPod on the sidebar that would make the button to show the music has disappeared. So now, I'm left without being able to see the music on my iPod, and, thus, not able to delete things I don't want. Any settings I need to change, or is this a new "feature"?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have the latest version, and it's there even though I have it automatically updating all my playlists. Can you screenshot your Music tab in the iPod pane?

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

xlevus posted:

Yeah, I've written something that'll do it (mostly). I'll post something tonight if I remember.

I'm very interested in this. I've been playing around with applescript, but it's been taking me awhile to actually do anything.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

do it posted:

:eng101:

Just click and hold on the stars and drag to the left to get zero stars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Grayham posted:

:eng101:

Just click and hold on the stars and drag to the left to get zero stars.
Awesome, thanks. I knew there was a way to get it to do that but I couldn't remember.

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

I've noticed that when I download a podcast on my iphone, artwork shows up, but not for episodes that I download on my computer and then sync over. I've tried deleting and resubscribing to the podcast, but the same thing happens. Has anybody else had this happen before or know how to fix it?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Any way to get global shortcuts for itunes? Main reason i stayed in winamp, but now i reformated and grabbed itunes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Okay, this is driving me loving insane. I have an audiobook that's composed of about 170 separate mp3 files, and is tagged according to the number of tracks and discs in the book. (i.e. track 1/24 disc 1/8, etc). Yet, when I put it on my iPod, it has every single track as track 1/1 and won't continue on to the next track when it's done. I've tried everything I can think of- listing it as a compilation, sorting it as an audiobook, changing the artist to something random and then back, making a playlist with all the tracks on it and nothing is working. Anyone have any pointers?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

suboptimal posted:

Anyone have any pointers?
Are you sure the changes you make are being synced to the iPod? Have you done a sync after removing the Audiobooks (or whatever) playlist then another sync after adding the playlist again?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daktari posted:

Any way to get global shortcuts for itunes? Main reason i stayed in winamp, but now i reformated and grabbed itunes.

There was one .dll you could drop in some folder that made my iTunes work with the pause/unpause key on my keyboard, you should be able to find it with some googling.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

suboptimal posted:

Okay, this is driving me loving insane. I have an audiobook that's composed of about 170 separate mp3 files, and is tagged according to the number of tracks and discs in the book. (i.e. track 1/24 disc 1/8, etc). Yet, when I put it on my iPod, it has every single track as track 1/1 and won't continue on to the next track when it's done. I've tried everything I can think of- listing it as a compilation, sorting it as an audiobook, changing the artist to something random and then back, making a playlist with all the tracks on it and nothing is working. Anyone have any pointers?

Is it possible you have "Skip when Shuffling" selected on the Audiobook files, and have the Shuffle Songs/Albums option turned on in the iPod settings? I have to make sure to turn off Shuffle when I play Audiobooks because it'll only play one selected track, even if it's a playlist. Also, make sure that in addition to track/disc settings, you put different title tags as well - "Random AudioBook Part 1 Disc 8" for example.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Dimentia posted:

Is it possible you have "Skip when Shuffling" selected on the Audiobook files, and have the Shuffle Songs/Albums option turned on in the iPod settings? I have to make sure to turn off Shuffle when I play Audiobooks because it'll only play one selected track, even if it's a playlist. Also, make sure that in addition to track/disc settings, you put different title tags as well - "Random AudioBook Part 1 Disc 8" for example.

That was it exactly, thank you for your help! It would have taken me days to figure that out.

hogs do not cry okay
Apr 21, 2003

xlevus posted:

posting to say that I would love it if you uploaded this.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Due to various PC problems, I ended up having to reinstall windows vista. I stupidly forgot to back up any of my music before formatting the HD. I have an ipod touch 2g that has all of my music on it. Is there an easy way to get the music from the ipod touch onto the PC after I reinstall itunes? Thanks in advance.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Due to various PC problems, I ended up having to reinstall windows vista. I stupidly forgot to back up any of my music before formatting the HD. I have an ipod touch 2g that has all of my music on it. Is there an easy way to get the music from the ipod touch onto the PC after I reinstall itunes? Thanks in advance.

Well, it's not easy, but it's possible. I'm doing this from memory since I've made the switch from Windows to Mac.

If you had Disk Mode set up on your iPod before you had to reformat you can go into the iPod's HD through My Computer. Go into Folder Options and make sure to select the option to show Hidden Folders. There's a hidden folder called "iPod_Control" that has all of your movies, music, etc. in separate folders. If you go into the Music folder, it has a bunch of small folders with names like F10 F11 F12 etc. Inside the folders are all of your music files that have been uploaded to the iPod. The filenames themselves are gibberish, but if you copy and paste the folders and then re-add them to your Library, they'll have the proper tagging and album art. You'll need to do song ratings and playlists over again.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That's good advice and all, but the iPod Touch and iPhone got rid of disk mode.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Might be a little overkill, and I'm guessing that the functionality would be the same for a Touch (I used an iPhone), but Phoneview has allowed me to transfer music from a friend's iPhone directly to my iTunes.

http://ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/instructions.html

You do have to pay for it, but you might be able to just grab the demo, get your music and be done.

(This is a program that was bundled in MacHeist 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

wolffenstein posted:

That's good advice and all, but the iPod Touch and iPhone got rid of disk mode.

Well drat, I was worried about that. I hope someone with a regular iPod will be able to use that information though.