Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RomaVictor
Jan 14, 2008
Above all things, truth beareth away the victory.
What is some good non-vocal jazz that DOESN'T sound like elevator music? Anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

RomaVictor posted:

What is some good non-vocal jazz that DOESN'T sound like elevator music? Anybody?

What are you trying to ask here? I don't really get it.

RomaVictor
Jan 14, 2008
Above all things, truth beareth away the victory.
I'm looking for some non-vocal (purely instrumental) jazz that doesn't sound like the terrible cool/smooth/lame jazz that plays in elevators or waiting rooms. I'm sorry, I really can't think of any way to be more specific.

One example that I can think of is a piece called Air by the Klazz Brothers.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Do you literally have no clue about jazz? What you mentioned is a bad jazz version of a Bach piece.

Check these out:

Miles Davis - Round Midnight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwtN7WuOEoA
Hank Mobley - Recado Bossa Nova: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEh-QvCJYi4
Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxX0-OaI5j0

All very intro level jazz stuff. If you think that this sounds like elevator music or whatever well... gently caress off.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Who sounds like Chicane? And does this (sub)genre have a name? I get that it's trance, but I'd like to be able to target more specifically since other trance (Sasha, e.g.) sound nothing like that.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm looking for high energy/intensity acoustic guitar music. The only real example I can think of Shir Ahava Bedoui/Bedouin love song by David Broza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17r9JoG_If4

Right around the 3:50 mark is the epitome of what I'm talking about. Just great stuff that pumps you up. It doesn't need to be middle eastern inspired music, but I really love the sound.

Sorry that I can't name more examples. I've heard more examples, but I rarely catch or remember the name of them.

Edit: And I'll be grateful for any general recommendations for good hebrew/arabic/middle eastern music.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 22, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

RomaVictor posted:

I'm looking for some non-vocal (purely instrumental) jazz that doesn't sound like the terrible cool/smooth/lame jazz that plays in elevators or waiting rooms. I'm sorry, I really can't think of any way to be more specific.

One example that I can think of is a piece called Air by the Klazz Brothers.

I think you should try checking out Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch and Peter Brotzmann's Machine Gun. You may also want to hear Miroslav Vitous's album Infinite Search for something more "normal".

Black Griffon posted:

Edit: And I'll be grateful for any general recommendations for good hebrew/arabic/middle eastern music.

This is a little vague - do you want stuff like this?

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 22, 2009

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Munky from KORN posted:

This is a little vague - do you want stuff like this?

gently caress, I forgot to post the youtube link I was going to post :downs::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17r9JoG_If4

Sorry, hope that clears it up.

Regarding your link; not quite so, uh, Jewish? (mostly the parts that you'd connect with people being in weddings and saying "Oppa!")
I mentioned Hebrew because David Broza sings in Hebrew, and I really love the sound he has going on. I've heard the same kind of music played with all kinds of different instruments before, but I have a rather poor memory when it comes to remembering this stuff, hence the vagueness, I apologize for that.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 22, 2009

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

RomaVictor posted:

I haven't really listened to any "vocal-jazz" before but im pretty entry level so recommend me I guess.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I'm looking for some good moody, creepy, sad music, either with or without vocals. Something that would be suitable for, say, exploring an abandoned haunted mansion, or that kind of thing. I know that's kinda vague, but I don't have much music like this to compare too.

One song that's close is "The Highwayman" by Loreena McKennit; it's got good vocals, and sends a chill down my spine during the last verse. I also think gregorian chants can sound very spooky, sometimes.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

http://www.last.fm/music/Rachid+Taha

Pretty good mix of traditional arabic, and modern rock / pop. Very well done.

Trellio
Feb 18, 2007

by Ozma

Pagan posted:

I'm looking for some good moody, creepy, sad music, either with or without vocals. Something that would be suitable for, say, exploring an abandoned haunted mansion, or that kind of thing. I know that's kinda vague, but I don't have much music like this to compare too.

One song that's close is "The Highwayman" by Loreena McKennit; it's got good vocals, and sends a chill down my spine during the last verse. I also think gregorian chants can sound very spooky, sometimes.

Complainte D'vn Matelot Mourant by The Avett Brothers kind of fits the description.

It's probably not on youtube or anything so: it's bowed double bass and some sparse guitar and banjo along with some atmospheric sound and howling (there's really no other way to describe the vocals)

e: here, it's on last.fm http://www.last.fm/music/The+Avett+Brothers/_/Complainte+D%27vn+Matelot+Mourant

poopcutter
Oct 4, 2003

by Ozma
I just started listening to the glitch mob. What are some similar groups with new stuff out this year?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I just recently joined a ska band at work as I overheard them asking if anyone played the keyboard, and it just so happens I bought one a few months ago. I've never been in a band before, but I've been taking music lessons for at least a few months so I'm sure I'll catch on.

However I am supposed to be playing the hammond organ, and I really can't remember listening to any ska songs with an organ in it. Does anyone know any bands I can listen to for inspiration?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

FateFree posted:

I just recently joined a ska band at work as I overheard them asking if anyone played the keyboard, and it just so happens I bought one a few months ago. I've never been in a band before, but I've been taking music lessons for at least a few months so I'm sure I'll catch on.

However I am supposed to be playing the hammond organ, and I really can't remember listening to any ska songs with an organ in it. Does anyone know any bands I can listen to for inspiration?

Listen to Jackie Mittoo, he played hella mean organ a lot of the time!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I have been listening to a lot of the pixies, joe strummer, the mountain goats, and old jimmy eat world. I'm looking for something pop-punky and sing-along-able, but a little edgy too

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Pagan posted:

Not really like the song you gave us, but it fits as moody, creepy and sad, Humming by Portishead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzm1DY3hJL8

If you like it, check out the rest of the album.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I have been listening to a lot of the pixies, joe strummer, the mountain goats, and old jimmy eat world. I'm looking for something pop-punky and sing-along-able, but a little edgy too

The Thermals (poppy garage rock), Bratmobile (riot grrrl), Cheap Time (straight-up garage), Hot IQs (power pop).

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Can I get some DnB suggestions?

I'm mostly into the stuff on DJ DB's mixes, some LTJ Bukem, EZ Rollers, I dunno more "trancey" kind of DnB instead of the harder stuff. Not so much the euro-house-DnB stuff though if that makes any sense at all haha.

I'm more of a hiphop head so I don't know the DnB sub-genre names. :(

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Pagan posted:

I'm not sure if some of these are too energetic but most should work for you.

Purcell:
Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary

Bach:
"Little" Fugue in G Minor
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor(Probably one of the most common songs for "scary" scenes in TV and movies.)
Brandenburg Concerto #5, 1st Mvmt.(Not so much spooky as it is achingly sad.)

Tomaso Albinoni:
Adagio in G Minor(Again more sad than scary.)

Beethoven:
"Great" Fugue

Franz Schubert:
Der Erlkonig

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm looking for some rap-rock along the lines of Street Sweeper, mid-'80s Run-DMC, or Saul Williams' "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust." I listened to Rage Against the Machine a lot in high school, but these days I'd like something less metally and more like the above artists.

breaks
May 12, 2001

A moody/sad piece I like is Cesar Franck's violin sonata. There's a nice version of it played by Christian Ferras (a sad story himself) and Pierre Barbizet, first part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nktXvX5MIgU

I think it's what I'd like as haunted mansion music anyway.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

On the poppier side, maybe the Buzzcocks, Big Star, Replacements, Teenage Fanclub, The Posies. A lot of those are power-pop and much more sing-along than edgy. For the other side of the request, maybe Gang of Four, Nation of Ulysses. I feel like maybe I'm on both sides of this rather than in the middle - I guess you've already listened to them cause of Strummer, but obviously the Clash records fit your bill if you're not already deep into them.

Edit: First couple Sunny Day Real Estate, Superchunk records

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Stagger_Lee posted:

On the poppier side, maybe the Buzzcocks, Big Star, Replacements, Teenage Fanclub, The Posies. A lot of those are power-pop and much more sing-along than edgy. For the other side of the request, maybe Gang of Four, Nation of Ulysses. I feel like maybe I'm on both sides of this rather than in the middle - I guess you've already listened to them cause of Strummer, but obviously the Clash records fit your bill if you're not already deep into them.

Edit: First couple Sunny Day Real Estate, Superchunk records

Also check out Anti-Nowhere League, The Damned, The Rezillos, and The Stooges.

Rainbow
Nov 27, 2004

Pagan posted:

Well well, finally I get to recommend Vincent Gallo's album "Music for Film." It's a soundtrack that spans two decades and is a bizarre set of songs (many of them titled rear end Fucker) that range from wooden xylophone knocking to electric guitars and brass bells. Definitely 'moody'. You can check out previews of the tracks on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Recordings-Music-Film-Vincent-Gallo/dp/B000066RK2

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Leathal posted:

I'm mostly into the stuff on DJ DB's mixes, some LTJ Bukem, EZ Rollers, I dunno more "trancey" kind of DnB instead of the harder stuff. Not so much the euro-house-DnB stuff though if that makes any sense at all haha.
John B, Aphrodite (Aftershock, but also some of his earlier stuff), you could also check out a Good Looking Records compilation, the Logical Progression series for instance. Also the Covert Operations label.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Leathal posted:

High Contrast
http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=359847341

B Complex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ3Je2_YsBc

Immortal_Yawn
Mar 5, 2009

We're all in the same slimy boat / And we're all going to sink

Pagan posted:

Krzysztof Pendereki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2QviNbj7o

Aghast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FvGkbyBjJ0

Herbst9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCntlwtadw8

Immortal_Yawn fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 25, 2009

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I love Isis. Oceanic and Panopticon are some of my all time favourite records. Who sounds like them?

Meshuggah were a bit too technical and no slow-builds. There are so many imitators to the Isis sound but who's actually good?

NnamkcebNairb
Apr 7, 2008

"Don't be sad that no one bought you a scallop. You're just not cool enough"
\
:backtowork:
I recently heard "Welcome to the Black Parade" for the first time and I was wondering if anyone knew of any songs that sound like it? I'm not really a fan of heavy songs but that song fell perfectly into my tastes I guess. That said, I don't really care for My Chemical Romance but if anyone had any suggestions for similar epic songs, I would love to hear them.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I love Isis. Oceanic and Panopticon are some of my all time favourite records. Who sounds like them?

Meshuggah were a bit too technical and no slow-builds. There are so many imitators to the Isis sound but who's actually good?

Neurosis, Neurosis, Neurosis. You need the albums Through Silver and Blood, and the album Given To the Rising. Isis borrowed a lot of their sound from Neurosis: the slow build-ups, harsh vocals, tribal drumming, quiet alternating with loud. They started it all.

Apart from that you need to look into anything labeled post-metal. Cult of Luna is another popular one even though I didn't like them. You can also try Pelican, Russian Circles, Giant Squid, Callisto, and especially Mouth of the Architect. Their latest album was amazing.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
I'm looking for some trance/techno stuff that sounds anything like Orbital's "Halycon + On + On". I love that track, it's got a great "chill out" beat to it. Anyone know of anything similar to that?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pagan posted:

Check out Ghosts I-IV by Nine Inch Nails. It's close to two hours of spooky ambient mood music of varying tempo. The first nine tracks (Ghosts I) are available as a free download, with the whole package available as a download for $5.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jadz posted:

I'm looking for some trance/techno stuff that sounds anything like Orbital's "Halycon + On + On". I love that track, it's got a great "chill out" beat to it. Anyone know of anything similar to that?
Try Chicane's album Behind The Sun.

I would love more recommendations in this vein myself, actually, as evidenced by my post about Chicane on this page.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Got heavily into most of the obvious entry points for country music that's actually good, rather than millionaires pretending to be hillbillies while imitating the Eagles. I'm listening to a lot of classic country (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Townes Van Zandt), '60s/'70s country-rock (Neil Young, The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Dylan's excursions into the genre) and alt-country/Southern indie (Drive-By Truckers, Uncle Tupelo and its descendants, the early works of My Morning Jacket and Neko Case).

What's the next level, so to speak, the stuff that's less obvious? Where should I go from here?

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

guppy posted:

Try Chicane's album Behind The Sun.

I would love more recommendations in this vein myself, actually, as evidenced by my post about Chicane on this page.

Listened to the samples on Amazon, that's pretty good stuff, thanks :)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Rosetta's first album is really amazing, and I am not into this kind of metal so that's saying something.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

A Violence Gang posted:

Got heavily into most of the obvious entry points for country music that's actually good, rather than millionaires pretending to be hillbillies while imitating the Eagles. I'm listening to a lot of classic country (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Townes Van Zandt), '60s/'70s country-rock (Neil Young, The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Dylan's excursions into the genre) and alt-country/Southern indie (Drive-By Truckers, Uncle Tupelo and its descendants, the early works of My Morning Jacket and Neko Case).

What's the next level, so to speak, the stuff that's less obvious? Where should I go from here?

These won't all be "less obvious", but,

For pre hank, if you're into roots music, maybe try the Harry Smith anthology, especially Dock Boggs. Here's my favorite old country-blues track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YETlmOQWkXU

For classic country, you still have Merle, Waylon, and Willie, although maybe you just didn't list those. Dwight Yoakam's a later era but I think deserves mention with those.

Country rock, try Gram Parsons (worked with the Byrds on Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo) has two great solo albums.

Alt-country, Two Dollar Pistol (especially You Ruined Everything), Whiskeytown, The Jayhawks, Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker (Not so much anything after that), Robbie Fulks - starting with Let's Kill Saturday Night, although Couples in Trouble is really good if you're into more of a cosmopolitan, Randy Newman vibe.

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Le réalité et toi, vous ne vous entendez pas, n'est-ce pas?

Leathal posted:

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour is the best album I know of in this style

Also - Judge Jules Live @ Trance Energy 10/20/2001 is my favorite live trance mix ever. I don't think you can purchase it anywhere so you may want to check your favorite music sharing site for this. I'm not going to post a link just in case.

LofwyrSai fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jadz posted:

BT Feat Chicane- Flaming June was always a classic old school trance/chillout track that fit's what you are looking for I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbyCHwKSwQ

M83 - Lower Your Eyelids to Die with the Sun. This track is just loving EPIC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2xqBP3LSa8
Actually a lot of M83 have that same sort of feel to it that Halycon did. Check them out if you haven't already.