Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

advion posted:

What kind of desk is that and how do you like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.
I call this "the clusterfuck on the corner".

Click here for the full 1959x1704 image.

Also, i need a better camera.

argz
May 20, 2005

The hand says it all.

namelesstwo posted:

I'm looking for a 2 tiered desk like that currently, may I ask where you purchased something like that?

Sorry I'm a few pages late.

My desktop with the smaller monitors is actually an end table with a piece of wood from a corner desk (RIP) I slapped on top and it just happened to work!

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Crush posted:

What kind of desk is that and how do you like it?

I don't know, I assume it's a cheapo from Target or something. I inherited it from my sister when I moved.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't really clean up for this picture so I guess you can see a little dust. And my plant is withering a little and I can't figure out why :(

Don't judge me by the gay lamp. I just found it in the basement :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

Martytoof posted:

I didn't really clean up for this picture so I guess you can see a little dust. And my plant is withering a little and I can't figure out why :(

Don't judge me by the gay lamp. I just found it in the basement :)

How much did you pay for your MAC setup?, model please?
And don't worry about your "gay" lamp, i used to have a ginormous pink lava lamp next to my office desk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Its an original 20" Core Duo iMac, I bought it the day they announced Intel machines were availble, so I probably paid over two grand on it in 2006. I honestly don't remember to be honest. Just bought a new keyboard last week, love the aluminum keyboard much more than the plastic one it came with :cool:

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid
gather ye round, and listen to my stupid

PS: This is me fellating capitalism:
:a2m:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Minus the 360, and one of these days when i'm near a bestbuy or something i'll probably pick up a ps3 just to see what the big deal about it is.

I need some sort of a desk car key holder thing. All my car keys end up making an ugly pile :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I guess this is the best place to ask this. I'll be totally re-configuring my desk area, and I need kind of a special desk. It has to support 300LB and be wide enough for three 24" widescreens. Is this possible with something that won't cost more than my car, or should I just make something out of 2x4 and plywood?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Raluek posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask this. I'll be totally re-configuring my desk area, and I need kind of a special desk. It has to support 300LB and be wide enough for three 24" widescreens. Is this possible with something that won't cost more than my car, or should I just make something out of 2x4 and plywood?

Just get a couple of filing cabinets and a uncut/drilled door from home depot.

Also if you have a large university near by they often have amazing deals on used, massive desks.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Juriko posted:

Just get a couple of filing cabinets and a uncut/drilled door from home depot.
If they get a cheap hollow core door, 300 pounds will go right through it. If you pick up a sturdy door, you start getting into the price range of an actual desk.

Raluek if you have the money, just pick up the Galant from Ikea - there are several sizes to pick from. They have a steel frame underneath the desktop and it will happily support everything you want. Make sure and get the T-legs as well.

If you plan on keeping this for a while, go ahead and spend the money up front rather than cobbling something together that you won't be happy with later on.

Juriko posted:

Also if you have a large university near by they often have amazing deals on used, massive desks.
This is a good idea if you are on a budget. There's also craigslist and Goodwill-type stores - a lot of companies dump that kind of furniture off on Goodwill or resale type of shops (there are used office furniture stores in a lot of places if you poke around) , or some are now using Craigslist.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tonelok posted:

Raluek if you have the money, just pick up the Galant from Ikea - there are several sizes to pick from.

Looking at them, looks like their widest one is 63" wide. Baaarely enough, with some monitor overhang. I think that's enough considering the slight arc they would be in, and that overhang isn't the worst thing in the world. Doesn't look like there's any way to tell what size the ones people are selling are without emailing everyone. Oh well, my quest begins.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

tonelok posted:

If they get a cheap hollow core door, 300 pounds will go right through it. If you pick up a sturdy door, you start getting into the price range of an actual desk.

You can get a solid core door for 50 or so. You can get some sturdy cabinets from goodwill or just about anywhere. +72" desks are ranging into the niche range so would expect to lay out a decent amount of money either way. It isn't pretty but I can't honestly think of any cheap sturdy desks in that size.

alexmac
Jun 4, 2008

Raluek posted:

Looking at them, looks like their widest one is 63" wide. Baaarely enough, with some monitor overhang. I think that's enough considering the slight arc they would be in, and that overhang isn't the worst thing in the world. Doesn't look like there's any way to tell what size the ones people are selling are without emailing everyone. Oh well, my quest begins.

I have a 61" wide Ikea desk which is basically just a slab of wood on some legs. I've got a 27" and two 22" widescreens on here and they fit just fine; they fill the desk but there's no overhang at all. The arc necessary to have them all facing you makes a big difference.

The Vika range lets you pick and choose a tabletop and the legs you want to go with it, which could be suitable as long as you don't mind an extremely simple desk.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I really want an Ikea desk, found two that I can use and a bookcase, but they want more to ship everything than the cost of the 3 items. Hell, even the bookcase costs $300 to ship.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Raluek posted:

Lemme tell ya bout a little company called Anthro: http://anthro.com/ppage.aspx?pmid=27

It's even on sale till the end of the month (it's like $350 in the cart for just the desk, plus about $100 for shipping).

I have the 60" version which would hold 2 24"s with room to spare. They're also great desks if you don't want to Live Like poo poo since it has built-in wire management.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BattleHork posted:

Lemme tell ya bout a little company called Anthro: http://anthro.com/ppage.aspx?pmid=27

It's even on sale till the end of the month (it's like $350 in the cart for just the desk, plus about $100 for shipping).

I have the 60" version which would hold 2 24"s with room to spare. They're also great desks if you don't want to Live Like poo poo since it has built-in wire management.

I've always liked the industrial look of Anthro's stuff but jesus christ are they ever expensive.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 24, 2009

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New desk built this past weekend, 6' wide x 3' deep. 1' deep and 4' wide where the keyboard is, and there's another foot covered by the top shelf which is 2' x 4'. Two 24" LCDs on the bottom which are currently hooked to my primary PC. Two 20" on top for other systems. Need to put a door on the box on the end and buy longer cables so I can get everything wired up and out of the way.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

widefault posted:

Where do you have that Matrix screen saver / background from? - I've seen some before, but they are never that good.

Barf Hands
Mar 21, 2007

by Peatpot
http://www.kellysoftware.com/ssaver/Matrix_ks.asp

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

This truly speaks to the child in me, and I love the red font version.

:downs: So pretty.

onoj
Jan 15, 2006
muh?

widefault posted:

New desk built this past weekend, 6' wide x 3' deep. 1' deep and 4' wide where the keyboard is, and there's another foot covered by the top shelf which is 2' x 4'. Two 24" LCDs on the bottom which are currently hooked to my primary PC. Two 20" on top for other systems. Need to put a door on the box on the end and buy longer cables so I can get everything wired up and out of the way.

You dont happen to have any plans drawn up for this desk do you? this desk looks it'd fix my current tiny desk situation up a treat!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

onoj posted:

You dont happen to have any plans drawn up for this desk do you? this desk looks it'd fix my current tiny desk situation up a treat!

Nothing drawn up, but it's pretty simple.

- 3 pcs 24" x 48", keyboard shelf, top shelf, and a privacy panel.
- 2 pcs 24" x 36", top and bottom of the "box" for the PCs
- 2 pcs 33" x 36", sides of the box
- 1 pc 30.5" x 36"
- 1 pc 12" x 24" for a brace on the rear of the "box"

Top of the keyboard shelf is 27.75" from the floor, but I wish I'd gone to 27" instead.

It's all 3/4" MDF, bought and cut at Home Depot. I used the precut 24" x 48" MDF panels, but the whole desk could be built from 2 of the 49" x 97" MDF panels they carry and one of the precut 24" x 48" panels. It's put together with the special MDF screws, but normal drywall screws would work as well. Mine is unpainted and is getting dirty already, but I expected that.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Just built a new PC and got a new desk. This fucken IKEA stainless steel desk is awesome:

Also, that lamp is nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stuntman Mike posted:

Just built a new PC and got a new desk. This fucken IKEA stainless steel desk is awesome:

Also, that lamp is nice.

We're mousepad buddies, but moreover I want to be your steel Ikea desk buddy. How much did you pay for that? Was it just like any other of their "pick your own" table build combos?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Stuntman Mike posted:

Also, that lamp is nice.

Nice desk! I wish there was something like that but larger at Ikea.

By the way, you have some sort of baby snake sneaking away from your desk. Might want to kill it.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
^^^ There is a larger stainless-steel desktop. Something like 78cm deep (rather than this one which is 56 or so) and a little bit longer. And that snake = twist-tie

Martytoof posted:

We're mousepad buddies, but moreover I want to be your steel Ikea desk buddy. How much did you pay for that? Was it just like any other of their "pick your own" table build combos?

Yeah, its their "build your own table" thing. You pick one of a bunch of tops, and then pick the type of legs. The stainless steel top was $119 CDN, the legs were 5 bucks each. It all assembled really easily.

And yeah, aren't our mousepads the best poo poo since sliced bread?

Stuntman Mike fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 26, 2009

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Stuntman Mike posted:

Also, that lamp is nice.

Doesn't that feel a bit chilly, or does it warm up fast?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
This thread inspired me to post my own desktop. Having done that (see below), I now realise I really, reallyneed a new desk, especially since I have a 24" LCD screen on the way. Currently checking out this site and salivating at the possibilities (because gently caress Harvey Norman and Myer).

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Raluek posted:

The Galant Ikea desks will hold 300lbs. I have one with the triangle legs (get the T-Legs, the triangle ones are hard to level) and it held my two 24" monitors, two built computers (each case weighing over 35 pounds) and me standing on it while trying to run some wire, so thats over 300lbs.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007

Jarl posted:

Doesn't that feel a bit chilly, or does it warm up fast?

It actually never gets that cold at all - the ambient temp in my room is pretty high I guess.

Slidje
Jul 30, 2002

RAPIST
I`ll rape you till you love me
THEY ALWAYS LOVE ME BEFORE THEY DIE

real_scud posted:

Nice to see that after all this time slidje some things never change.
:blush:

Slidje posted:

My broken HP TX2635ea tablet
New 2730p tablet. Its a really long story.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Slidje posted:

Hahaha, holy christ.

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE

Slidje posted:

:drat:

That was a hilarious read. I hope your new laptop is friggin amazing for you.

Slidje
Jul 30, 2002

RAPIST
I`ll rape you till you love me
THEY ALWAYS LOVE ME BEFORE THEY DIE

Instant Stalker posted:

I hope your new laptop is friggin amazing for you.

The worst part is absolutely loved my tablet, i didnt want a new one. If they had fixed it properly and hadn`t hosed me in the rear end repeatedly for 2 months i would have happily kept it. I literally cried when i saw the screen in pieces.

All they had to do was put the correct wireless card in it. When they sent it back to me second time, saying no faults found and system recovered, i gave up. If they hadnt wiped it i would have kept it with the stupid 54MB wireless card.
They just wiped everything of it for nothing. I had a backup but that wasnt the point.

My new one isnt as high spec, but its solidly built and has amazing battery life. The most important thing is its backed up by HP Business support instead of those unbelievable idiots in consumer support. I hear they are marginally better with customers and have a faster turnaround time.
Dell, Fujistu, Lenevo would never have messed around any of their customers like they did with me.

Its funny how they were completely unwilling to give me a refund, but they were willing to give me a laptop worth twice as much as the refund. Theyd rather torture me with more HP products than give me a refund.

I researched for months over which tablet to buy and picked the TX out of every single tablet on the market only because it had a graphics card that can run games. I need to be able to run some games on long train jouneys (WORLD OF GOO!!).
Aside from that i do like the new tablet. It oozes quality from every single orrifice.

I need to get the docking station with optical drive, a ram upgrade and larger hard drive but i dont want to give HP any more of my money.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slidje posted:

Its funny how they were completely unwilling to give me a refund, but they were willing to give me a laptop worth twice as much as the refund. Theyd rather torture me with more HP products than give me a refund.

It probably cost them a lot less to pull your new laptop out of inventory than it would to send you a refund. I don't have any concrete numbers but I've read the markups on these kinds of things are pretty high. Anyway, congrats on your new laptop :)

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
Moved yesterday, changed my "L" shaped desk into two regular ones...

Not pictured are my DiNovo Mini and Aspire One; both are mostly on the coffee table behind the desk.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

I guess this is the nerdiest my setup gets

Two PCs, 6 monitors.. There's a projector to the left of all this poo poo which is connected to my xbox 360.. (yes, I fail)
What university do you attend?(If any)

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Slidje posted:

This would be so much funnier if I didn't have to deal with it for about 3 years of my life.

Repair centers and support centers apparently don't speak the same languages, because nothing ever gets relayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Really interesting thread, having some serious monitor envy now and I'm definitely upgrading the TFT.