Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Thorias posted:

I have been having trouble finding good black metal lately, everything I can find seems to be crappy Cradle of Filth knockoffs who claim to be Black Metal. Well today I discovered Dawn of Relic, and they are exactly what I've been looking for. Anyone got any other recommendations to similar black metal like Dawn of Relic, that's you know, good?

Listening to what's on their myspace, you'd probably like Gehenna, maybe Borknagar

For Gehenna start with Malice. Their earlier poo poo is more like this band, not so much the later stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Roasted Donut posted:

That's awesome news, I always liked him and Garm more than Vintersorg. Any idea when this is coming out?

I think next year sometime. Or late this year.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Roasted Donut posted:

That's awesome news, I always liked him and Garm more than Vintersorg. Any idea when this is coming out?

It's coming out late this year; September, according to an interview with Øystein. And I, too, prefer Vortex and Garm to Vintersorg.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Razor posted:

And I, too, prefer Vortex and Garm to Vintersorg.

I know it will never happen, but I still hold a little dream in my heart that Ulver will release another black metal album. Oh well.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I picked up Satyicon's Nemesis Divina and Trelldom's Til Et Annet at the used shop last night. Nemesis is amazing, but everyone knows that. The Trelldom disc is surprisingly blase. I thoroughly enjoy Til Minne, their latest, but this second disc just isn't cutting it.

Oh well, $20 out the door, what can you do.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Til Minne is the only one of theirs I like too. Ordered that Koldbrann CD and a poo poo for $55. THAT'S a loving raping thanks to shipping and poo poo exchange rates.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I want to like it, I really do. Maybe after a few more listens it'll grow on me. All I know is Til Minne had me hooked by the second track.

And drat, did you order that poo poo (:xd:) from the moon?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

I want to like it, I really do. Maybe after a few more listens it'll grow on me. All I know is Til Minne had me hooked by the second track.

And drat, did you order that poo poo (:xd:) from the moon?

Norway, close enough I guess. Looks like they only sell their poo poo themselves. Whoever in the band deals with their merch even figured I'd back out when he laid out the shipping.

Little did he know I'm not so good with money.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Razor posted:

It's coming out late this year; September, according to an interview with Øystein. And I, too, prefer Vortex and Garm to Vintersorg.

I prefer Vintersorg, but to each their own. He does get a bit squealy at times, which detracts from the sheer brutal force of Borknagar.

I hope that Vortex and Vintersorg do a duet. Maybe three voices, with Lars thrown in somewhere. That would be great!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

I prefer Vintersorg, but to each their own. He does get a bit squealy at times, which detracts from the sheer brutal force of Borknagar.

I've heard Borknagar described in many ways, but "brutal" sure wasn't ever one of them.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oldstench posted:

I've heard Borknagar described in many ways, but "brutal" sure wasn't ever one of them.

:nyd:

Oh, they will always be brutal in my little black heart.

(Though I'm sure not brutal enough, as they actually play notes and sing, instead of screaming into static over distortion and blast beats for 50 minutes)

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Screaming into static over distortion for 50 minutes owns, everyone buy the latest Nortt/Wold records

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

cryme posted:

Screaming into static over distortion for 50 minutes owns, everyone buy the latest Nortt/Wold records

But are there blast beats?

I am only sold if there's blast beats.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

:nyd:

Oh, they will always be brutal in my little black heart.

(Though I'm sure not brutal enough, as they actually play notes and sing, instead of screaming into static over distortion and blast beats for 50 minutes)

drat. I got loving told.

I just think that they are better described as 'epic' rather than 'brutal'.

P.S. - I'm a fan. Colossus is still one of my favorite songs.

Edited for less overall assholishness.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 17, 2009

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oldstench posted:

drat. I got loving told.

I just think that they are better described as 'epic' rather than 'brutal'.

P.S. - I'm a fan. Colossus is still one of my favorite songs.

Edited for less overall assholishness.

Oh, 'Epic' fits them as well. In fact, I think it fits their newer stuff really well.

But I still like 'Brutal'. :) Especially their older stuff. It's heavy and scratchy, and I would call it 'brutal'. certainly.

(And it is OK. I didn't see the 'assholishness', but it's all good. :glomp: Sometimes, I just laugh at this entire genre. And I just love putting :nyd: in my posts.)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

Sometimes, I just laugh at this entire genre.

The only thing that is funnier than metal itself, are those who take it seriously.

Of course, I take it seriously. :black101:

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Borknagar's first album was a goddamn force of nature.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oldstench posted:

The only thing that is funnier than metal itself, are those who take it seriously.

Of course, I take it seriously. :black101:

We need a crying Abbath against the Norwegian flag itt.

Hell, in this forum.

BosendorferIstKrieg
Apr 1, 2008

holy/violence

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I may very well be late to the scene, but besides Absu's release, I'm calling Cobalt's Gin the black metal release of the year thus far. While it's post/progressive flare is fresh and creative, they've ( I understand it's a duo) really pay tribute to the classics.

Seconding this. The album has this uneasy/creepy vibe, and while i love norsecore blastfests like 1349, it's great to hear a good bm album with something other than blasts for the whole duration. Also, it's much better than Eater Of Birds. Jarboe's guest vocals are less prominent - i think she's better suited for her solo projects or stuff like Byla and Neurosis. May not be kvlt, but drat if it's not one of the better albums i've heard in years.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Qu Appelle posted:

We need a crying Abbath against the Norwegian flag itt.

Hell, in this forum.

Never forget

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Never forget

Beautiful. Brutal. More brutal than Borknagar ever will be. (Sorry, Borkies.)

I got paid yesterday, and I haven't bought anything stupid in a while. I'm tempted to buy this if you can get this down to flag smilie size.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Qu Appelle posted:

Beautiful. Brutal. More brutal than Borknagar ever will be. (Sorry, Borkies.)

I got paid yesterday, and I haven't bought anything stupid in a while. I'm tempted to buy this if you can get this down to flag smilie size.

Sadly I'm no photowizard, it was posted over in the Scandinavian languages thread. Weird that you would request that and it already existed :tinfoil:

Razor
May 9, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

But I still like 'Brutal'. :) Especially their older stuff. It's heavy and scratchy, and I would call it 'brutal'. certainly.

"Brutal" better describes death metal rather than black, i.e. Blood Red Throne is brutal death metal, and old Amorphis is death/doom or melodic death. Borknagar, in my mind, is progressive black.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Razor posted:

"Brutal" better describes death metal rather than black, i.e. Blood Red Throne is brutal death metal, and old Amorphis is death/doom or melodic death. Borknagar, in my mind, is progressive black.

Brutal is a mindset not a genre :colbert:

Razor
May 9, 2004

It's confusing to call music brutal whenever an individual deems fitting, when there's already an established group of bands referred to as "brutal" due to their distinct death metal vocal stylings. It'd be like me calling Cradle of Filth black metal; I could think it all I want, but it doesn't make it an accurate description. For example: describing Windir as brutal to a fan of death metal would immediately make that person think Windir is like Cannibal Corpse, or Nile.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Razor posted:

describing Windir as brutal to a fan of death metal would immediately make that person think Windir is like Cannibal Corpse, or Nile.

Maybe Windir and Nile could just form a supergroup called Nildir and write songs about Viking mummies.

I'd buy their first album.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Oldstench posted:

Maybe Windir and Nile could just form a supergroup called Nildir and write songs about Viking mummies.

I'd buy their first album.

Nor Scorpii?

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Wrath Of The Weak. Owns.

If you thought Velvet Cacoon had potential but was too pretentious, this is the band for you.

I've only heard the second full-length, but that has given me many hours of black noise bliss. The mixing is perfect, every sonic layer is clawing to reach the surface of a bubbling cauldron of awesomeness, only to slide back down to the depths of the subconscious.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Munky from KORN posted:

Nor Scorpii?
No that would be if they teamed up with Marduk or 1349

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Misogynist posted:

No that would be if they teamed up with Marduk or 1349

If they teamed up with 1349 surely they'd be Bore Scorpii (just kidding, I don't mind 1349 and I really love Cor Scorpii an awful lot).

brewmeister
Sep 23, 2008
I chose the username "brewmeister". That tells you all you need to know about me.
From immortalofficial.com:

"Immortal hordes! The band has started to record the upcoming album!
They will be working in both Grieghallen and Abyss studios this time. "

Hells yeah, about loving time.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Funeral Mist's Maranatha is incredible, anyone who liked Rom 5:12 needs to go and buy it now.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

As promised: Thank you, Chrys, for recommending Dark Funeral! Eidolon is loving awesome and I look forward to checking out everything else they have ever done.

p. sure you mean Fortress there but you're welcome!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Caucasus Belli posted:

Funeral Mist's Maranatha is incredible, anyone who liked Rom 5:12 needs to go and buy it now.

p. sure you mean Fortress there but you're welcome!

D'oh! That's my nominal dysphasia kicking in. Of course you're right. :)

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Yay, my Deathspell Omega shirt arrived!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

catbread.jpg posted:

Yay, my Deathspell Omega shirt arrived!

nerd

how is their newer stuff anyway? I don't think I've heard anything past the 2004 album.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

nerd

how is their newer stuff anyway? I don't think I've heard anything past the 2004 album.

Terrible, I guess they ran out of Kvist riffs to steal.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

MrBling posted:

nerd

Not very good. It's a shame because Si Monumentas Circumcision whatever was really good

Fear my robot head.
Jul 4, 2007

THERE IS A SANTY CLAUSE!

Razor posted:

It's confusing to call music brutal whenever an individual deems fitting, when there's already an established group of bands referred to as "brutal" due to their distinct death metal vocal stylings. It'd be like me calling Cradle of Filth black metal; I could think it all I want, but it doesn't make it an accurate description. For example: describing Windir as brutal to a fan of death metal would immediately make that person think Windir is like Cannibal Corpse, or Nile.

Brutal is the most abused adjective in the metal lexicon. It's metal's version of the word "awesome." It's lost almost all of its original intended meaning so you should pretty much just read it as a synonym for "good."

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

Not very good. It's a shame because Si Monumentas Circumcision whatever was really good

I disagree - I really like Fas...blah blah blah. It's pretty nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Kenose > SMRC > Fas (which is still good) >> Everything before 2004, it's basically a different band so don't bother.

The single/split releases have been good, particularly From The Entrails To The Dirt, with Mass Grave Aesthetics, one of their finest creations.