Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Trash Talk? Didn't they make their old drummer pay them $2000 to quit the band to make up for the money they would lose during the whole one week they would have to practice with a new drummer? Sounds sick, brah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Trash Talk? Didn't they make their old drummer pay them $2000 to quit the band to make up for the money they would lose during the whole one week they would have to practice with a new drummer? Sounds sick, brah.

I don't know I don't care I think they sound like a ferrets rear end in a top hat I'm just using them as an example.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Weekend Nachos is the only band you listed that actually sounds anything like power violence... because they are a power violence band. Ceremony is influenced by the anger produced by suburban white people and bad hardcore.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Iron Lung posted:

Weekend Nachos is the only band you listed that actually sounds anything like power violence... because they are a power violence band. Ceremony is influenced by the anger produced by suburban white people and bad hardcore.

Sorry, didn't know I broke hardcore law, I'll go re-tag it on iTunes.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

baberaham lincoln posted:

Sorry, didn't know I broke hardcore law, I'll go re-tag it on iTunes.
It was totally off the mark to anyone with ears or who is familiar with the bands

I finished my first issue of Dumb Audio. It was supposed to be audio hardware but turned a way arty direction. Lengthy interview with video artist Eric Fleischauer, a bit about record collecting, some other crap.

For issue 2 I want photos of peoples turntable/audio racks/etc if anyone wants to contribute

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

It was totally off the mark to anyone with ears or who is familiar with the bands

Seriously, I listen to more powerviolence than "Ceremony-status" bands, and I still stand by my remarks. Spell it out for me...

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

ChaosNonMusica posted:

not good dudes = not good music.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
To me ceremony and trash talk both sound the same, like chuggy semi-tough-stomp-around-enraged-whiteboy hardcore bands. They have really siq riffs and play a little fast sometimes. This is not what i think when i think powerviolence. Weekend Nachos plays both reaaally fast and really sludgy, often in the same song!!! This is powerviolence.

Also thanks because i had to listen to trash talk again to affirm how much i dislike that lovely lovely band. The last time i listened to ceremony it reminded me of that cotton-eyed joe song and i couldnt stop laughing. Violence violence is mediocre at best, the only good songs on it are from their first demo or whatever. That band is so terrible now. Arguing about sub-genres of sub-genres is funny.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I mean, I like Violence Violence but I think the new album is meh at best. As I said before, Trash Talk sounds like a cats rear end in a top hat, but I still think it shares similarities with PV. I really don't dig Weekend Nachos that much, and I would must rather listen to No Comment or Crossed Out instead.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
gently caress yeah jumping on the I Hate Ceremony bandwagon up in this bitch

I swear to god hardcore is exactly like "da mainstream" in this respect. Everyone likes a band, but when they become too big, everyone hates them. It's like loving Linkin Park.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

zeldadude posted:

It's like loving Linkin Park.

way to kill your argument :/

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I always hated ceremony.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
i like ceremony, but they aren't powerviolence.

weekend nachos hates being called powerviolence and has a shirt with "gently caress POWERVIOLENCE" on the back.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Aside from being really loving intense, I hate Ceremony. Or maybe it was the rear end in a top hat youth crew kids? Probably a mixture of both.

they make for neat pictures though.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 26, 2009

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
stop guys you've been picked up by a bandwagon!!!!!

Honestly I don't get why every time someone mentions not liking ceremony its because they are on a bandwagon? Like I said before, I like their really early stuff, and they don't sound like that anymore, which is why I now don't like them. How is that a bandwagon? Someday I'll find out! Black Flag is a huge band, but I still love them.

I like weekend nachos shirts. They are always really uncomfortable to look at. I always get really confused looks at my shirt when I wear the Freddy Kreuger one. And the one with Jon Caution's dad on it is so amazingly awkward to look at.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
John is a weird dude. Weekend Nachos is a weird band. If anyone ever wants to do a funny interview, interview John about his artwork and his most influential music and your mind will start to cave in on itself.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Iron Lung posted:

stop guys you've been picked up by a bandwagon!!!!!

Honestly I don't get why every time someone mentions not liking ceremony its because they are on a bandwagon? Like I said before, I like their really early stuff, and they don't sound like that anymore, which is why I now don't like them. How is that a bandwagon? Someday I'll find out! Black Flag is a huge band, but I still love them.

because every single person ever is suddenly saying they hate ceremony after liking them when they were smaller. That's how it's a bandwagon.

quote:

way to kill your argument :/

Obviously I wasn't comparing Ceremony's music to Linkin Park, I was comparing how 10 years ago or whenever it was everyone liked Linkin Park, but when they got just a bit too popular everyone hated them.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Not an Anthem posted:

John is a weird dude. Weekend Nachos is a weird band. If anyone ever wants to do a funny interview, interview John about his artwork and his most influential music and your mind will start to cave in on itself.

Haha I'm friends with the guys in Think Fast, and when they stayed with him they said all he did was talk about NU-METAL! and how much he loved it. Yeah i like that guy a lot but he is definitely a weird guy. I'm joining the bandwagon of thinking he is a weird guy.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Look peoples opinions are always going to be different. I think Ceremony has always been terrible from what I've heard, so I haven't invested any of my time listening to it. Its pointless to get all offended when someone doesn't like the poo poo music you listen to. Itd be great to just mention helpful things like new releases, reviews of shows/music and not complain about other peoples tastes.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
genres suck, let's talk about good music. saw a band from florida called tubers 3x a few weeks back, they must have been subletting in the bay or something. pretty good stuff, sort of poppy at times but always rough around the edges, totally slamming sometimes but never too hard. maybe if like sunny day real estate focused on being RAW instead of christian. i don't know, i'm just making poo poo up now.

oh poo poo, i saw kylesa, intronaut and black elk at a bar last week, it was totally awesome. black elk i'd never heard, reminds me of heavier albini stuff or jesus lizard or something. really bass heavy. kylesa rules, what more can i say? if your band is awesome and you want them to get more awesome, add more drummers.

there's not much new stuff i've been really into lately, but i have seen a couple decent bands. i am waiting for the kids to get into BLATZ-WAVE, a new genre that's derivative of blatz based in total chaos and fun. if anyone wants to start a DEAD MILKMEN/TRAGEDY (50%/50%) cover band with me let me know. thanks for reading my blog.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

zeldadude posted:

everyone liked Linkin Park

this has never ever been true

edit: powerviolence died in late 1973

edit2: why is pix a poo poo label?

mrmanatee fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 26, 2009

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So

new NOFX album: not too shabby

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

The Masturbation "Mosou Higai" lp is retarded and sounds strangely like early NYHC except way more visceral.

Chaos, you see the Narm Discos ebay sale part two that went on today? The wretched split was on there as was the Tam lp.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
disclose = best d-beat band

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

Chaos, you see the Narm Discos ebay sale part two that went on today? The wretched split was on there as was the Tam lp.

Yeah, I saw those auctions. I won the Messed Up 7" (underrated Japcore rager), and some old French hardcore 7" that I saw mentioned in some Japanese crust zines I have, so I wanted to check it out.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

disclose = best d-beat band

gently caress yeah. Kawakami forever!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Disclose is awesome but Discharge will always hold a special place in my d-beat heart.

CNM let me know if you ever sell another batch of Japanese stuff, I'm always looking for more! I picked up that Slowmotions LP and the jones town aloha ep you mentioned awhile back and really liked both of them.

I still want an I <skull> Powerviolence sticker.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Yeah, I saw those auctions. I won the Messed Up 7" (underrated Japcore rager), and some old French hardcore 7" that I saw mentioned in some Japanese crust zines I have, so I wanted to check it out.

gently caress yeah. Kawakami forever!

was the french hardcore 7" the RAPT demo by any chance

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

I still want an I <skull> Powerviolence sticker.

I have one of these still (I made em). It's a little dirty and has a small crease (which probably won't matter once you peel it off), but if you want it, let me know.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

was the french hardcore 7" the RAPT demo by any chance

No, it was by a band called Convicted. The aforementioned zines compared it to Larm and Wretched, so I'm pretty stoked to check it out.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

mrmanatee posted:

edit2: why is pix a poo poo label?

I would also like to know this.

Gourmet Pez
Mar 28, 2008

ChaosNonMusica posted:

I have one of these still (I made em). It's a little dirty and has a small crease (which probably won't matter once you peel it off), but if you want it, let me know.
If you are making more, I wouldn't mind a few.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

RunTo TheHills posted:

I would also like to know this.

As would I. What the gently caress.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Angiepants posted:

As would I. What the gently caress.

I'm gonna go with people just talking poo poo. Some great bands on PIX.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

gerfatty posted:

I'm gonna go with people just talking poo poo. Some great bands on PIX.

This is like someone making GBS threads on ice cream. :colbert:

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

ChaosNonMusica posted:

yeah! that would be awesome!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I don't associate any PIX bands with punk and I don't like the people I meet who promote the label. They're responsible for a ton of the hobo/agrarian traveler revivalism which they think is punk. I am rather insulted that you think people can't have opinions about things like this especially considering how awful and obnoxious freeloader-traveler-dog-punk kids are. No one has a market on the idea of DIY, DIY music doesn't have to sound like a kid "playing" a dumpster singing about how his feet smell. Then there's the whole "hey ANYONE can start a record label!" Of course anyone can start a record label, that's how every single label has started. They want to be a cheap accessible label? Then sell your releases cheap. I'm not an Against Me fan but I would argue they did a smart thing, moved to a label that's cheaper, distributed better, and handled much more efficiently.

I don't get incensed about the cello/violin/folk shtick it just sounds terrible to my ears.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

yeah! that would be awesome!

Rad. Email me your address, chaosnonmusica(at)gmail(dot)com.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

ChaosNonMusica posted:

If you want to make some more then I would be up for purchasing some.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Not an Anthem posted:

I don't associate any PIX bands with punk and I don't like the people I meet who promote the label. They're responsible for a ton of the hobo/agrarian traveler revivalism which they think is punk. I am rather insulted that you think people can't have opinions about things like this especially considering how awful and obnoxious freeloader-traveler-dog-punk kids are. No one has a market on the idea of DIY, DIY music doesn't have to sound like a kid "playing" a dumpster singing about how his feet smell. Then there's the whole "hey ANYONE can start a record label!" Of course anyone can start a record label, that's how every single label has started. They want to be a cheap accessible label? Then sell your releases cheap. I'm not an Against Me fan but I would argue they did a smart thing, moved to a label that's cheaper, distributed better, and handled much more efficiently.

I don't get incensed about the cello/violin/folk shtick it just sounds terrible to my ears.

Having met quite a few people who are on/run PIX, I think you're getting annoyed about something that doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the label. Sure, there is that element of that pseudo-hippie thing going on with a lot of the people, but the whole crusty thing has been around long before PIX. I would say that just about everyone at the label is much more interested in helping out their community and not going around freeloading off people. Last I checked, they're not trying to corner the market of DIY or anything, they're just a group of friends that are playing music.

Besides, Chris (the guy who runs PIX) treats his bands exceptionally well, and has connections to other, slightly bigger punk labels like No Idea and such. I'm not really mad that Against Me pulled their stuff off the label, I'm just more annoyed at the way they did it.

Point being, PIX is a really cool label that treats their bands extremely well and is involved with all sorts of good things that help out their communities.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Not an Anthem posted:

They want to be a cheap accessible label? Then sell your releases cheap.

They sell everything for $5.

And yeah I don't think PIX has any real association with crusty hobos aside from said hobos liking folk punk a lot, and stuff like Plan-it-X fest being friendly towards them. And their association with Johnny Hobo, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

ChaosNonMusica posted:

emailed from shadeofgrays at gmail
thanks!

I rediscovered Los Crudos today. I forgot how intense that band is.