Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't been in for a long time but don't a lot of receivers include this type of functionality?

Also, when I was last in R/C, the radios that let you choose a channel with a dial were just coming out. I looked a few months ago when I had a kick to get back in and found out the new hotness is radios that don't even need you to set channels. :aaafap:

I just bought a Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz and it is everything I would have dreamed of back in the day.
  • No crystals - transmitter and receiver are bound together, you will never interfere with anyone.
  • Built-in failsafe - No more high-speed collisions from receiver battery failure. Note to some of the new guys: failsafes are generally for nitro cars, they return the throttle to neutral / full brake in the event of radio or battery failure. (Otherwise the servo will just sit where it was left, which is usually full-throttle)
  • More adjustments than I know what to do with - I began RC with just a 2-channel AM radio with adjustable trim, now I have endpoint adjustment, dual rate, exponential rates and so much more.
  • 3 channel - now I can finally toy with mounting a remote-triggered accessory on one of my cars
  • Tiny antenna - I won't be bending, breaking, or poking anyone with my antenna
  • 10 model memory - I can legitimately use one transmitter for several cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

drat was almost hoping this thread wouldn't start. Now I might have to pull all my RC stuff out of the basement and get it working again. I haven't flown any of the helis in over a year and the cars/trucks have been collecting dust in the basement for over 2. My current (that I remember) ground fleet...
- Traxxas Rustler brushless/lipo setup was my first real RC
- Traxxas T-Maxx version 1 with OS .21 on standard length chassis (currently melted transmission)
- HPI Micro RS4 brushless/lipo setup for drifting
- Kyosho Mini infrono brushless/lipo
- Tamiya Grasshopper stock
I always tended to want more power and go a little faster. The only thing I ever raced was the Mini Inferno and that was only a few times before I went brushless. After focusing on mostly ground based RC for 4 years I took to the skies and said screw planes I want something ridiculously overcomplicated and difficult yo fly...I want a heli. The heli fleet has been a bit more diverse...
- Raptor 30 v1 first heli and I still have it. CF blades, 3D head anemic OS .30 thats seen 50+ gallons
- Maxir electric on brushless/lipo setup, one of the best small electrics I've owned (I've had lots)
- Bergen Gasser EB (extended boom) this ran 810mm (32 inch) blades and was used for aerial photography. Lifted 15 pounds of camera gear into the air.
Throw into the mix a few SPAD's (Simple Plastic Airplane Design) that are planes built for $10-50 that you can crash and not worry about.

All this RC stuff above is the reason I never had nice stuff on my cars and didn't even get into cars until I was 19-20. On the other hand if it wasn't for fixing these things I never would have been as mechanical.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 27, 2009

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mutt2jeff posted:

I hope somebody comes along who knows something about the 4x4 obstacle course type R/C's, I really crave a Unimog one.

I, too, have an irrational desire to own one of these.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

I just bought a Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz and it is everything I would have dreamed of back in the day.

Hell, back in the day you could have a good chunk of that...my dad was rocking a Futaba 3PG for years. That thing was absolutely goddamn ridiculous, and wasn't helped by the fact that it went through batteries like a whore goes through coke.

I started on a 2PBKA and picked up a 2PEKA after getting into touring cars. I love Futaba radios.

Edit: Goddamnit. Now I'm looking for local tracks again.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 27, 2009

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hell, back in the day you could have a good chunk of that...my dad was rocking a Futaba 3PG for years. That thing was absolutely goddamn ridiculous, and wasn't helped by the fact that it went through batteries like a whore goes through coke.

I started on a 2PBKA and picked up a 2PEKA after getting into touring cars. I love Futaba radios.

Edit: Goddamnit. Now I'm looking for local tracks again.

Well, perhaps I should have clarified. I was 14 when I got my first car, so my 2PBK is what I stuck with in lieu of saving up $300 for a serious radio that I wouldn't really have known how to use.

And now I have the benefit of an actual job and ebay. Picked up my 3PM in great condition for $120 :c00lbert:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Are offroad capable vehicles generally more expensive? I would love to get a nice 4wd setup that could muck around in fields and such as well as play on blacktop. Can anyone make some recommendations for good and reasonably prices starter cars?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

Well, perhaps I should have clarified. I was 14 when I got my first car, so my 2PBK is what I stuck with in lieu of saving up $300 for a serious radio that I wouldn't really have known how to use.

And now I have the benefit of an actual job and ebay. Picked up my 3PM in great condition for $120 :c00lbert:

Oh I know, to this day I still think the 3PG was hilariously overkill. Look at the switches. LOOK AT THEM. He had to run a rechargable pack he made out of used-up sub-C's that he pocketed and ran a cable up from there to the radio. The 2PBKA my dad bought me to start was probably more adjustment than I needed at the time.

If I ever get back in, the 2PEKA I have is more than enough until they come out with an equivalent model with the 2.4GHz spread-spectrum radio. I like my controls relatively simple, though the multi-model memory is a nice touch if I wanted to run two classes (say, 1/10 TC and 1/12 pan).

It is a good thing for my time and my budget that all of the onroad racing in Phoenix happens on Fridays...with my commute there's no way in hell I'd be able to get home and back to a track.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Anyone else build the Tamiya RC tanks? I built the sherman, but I lost a geartooth in the transmission at some point and it's been in mothballs for 10 years. Holy crap the kits are still really expensive.

Crap a new redesigned gearbox is only $70.

Here's a pictorial of someone else's build, complete with turret and gun elevation

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

cr0y posted:

Are offroad capable vehicles generally more expensive? I would love to get a nice 4wd setup that could muck around in fields and such as well as play on blacktop. Can anyone make some recommendations for good and reasonably prices starter cars?

To the contrary, off-road is kind of the default with on-road being a bit more expensive.

If you're starting out, Traxxas has some of the best RTRs around. Pretty much all the hobby stores that do RC have Traxxas parts.

I'm also a big fan of Team Associated. I ran an rc10gt back in the day and pretty much only broke spur gears from driving around in fine gravel. I did melt a diff from over-tightening the slipper, and I did break a body mount when it took off down a 30ft rocky embankment.

I can't go without mentioning Tamiya, Kyosho, Losi, and HPI

Anyway, find yourself an offroad ride that you like and buy a set of street tires for it. You obviously won't have the street performance of a real touring car, but you'll still have fun and won't ruin your knobby tires.

Look at those guys and come back and tell us what you like, and we can probably help a bit.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

kuffs posted:

To the contrary, off-road is kind of the default with on-road being a bit more expensive.

If you're starting out, Traxxas has some of the best RTRs around. Pretty much all the hobby stores that do RC have Traxxas parts.

I'm also a big fan of Team Associated. I ran an rc10gt back in the day and pretty much only broke spur gears from driving around in fine gravel. I did melt a diff from over-tightening the slipper, and I did break a body mount when it took off down a 30ft rocky embankment.

I can't go without mentioning Tamiya, Kyosho, Losi, and HPI

Anyway, find yourself an offroad ride that you like and buy a set of street tires for it. You obviously won't have the street performance of a real touring car, but you'll still have fun and won't ruin your knobby tires.

Look at those guys and come back and tell us what you like, and we can probably help a bit.

What am I looking at spending to get up and running with a decent off road setup?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mutt2jeff posted:

I hope somebody comes along who knows something about the 4x4 obstacle course type R/C's, I really crave a Unimog one.
Yeah, RC rock-crawling always appealed to me. As it is, I just love bashing around with my fifteen-year-old Tamiya Toyota pickup in the garden. I keep thinking about getting back into RC models more seriously, but I know I'd just end up doing incredible damage to my wallet (I love trick bits. My RC rallycar has an ESC with an ABS function, just because), so I stick to my rough-and-ready old toys.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

How complicated are these things. Like, what does a standard controller for one of these badboys look like?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

cr0y posted:

What am I looking at spending to get up and running with a decent off road setup?

You need a battery and charger for pretty much all electric RTRs. So figure about $100 + price of the car.

I recommended a Traxxas Slash earlier in the thread. Tower has a combo with everything you need for $271.98. I don't own one myself, but I hear nothing but good things about them. Many clubs run spec races for them, so you won't even need additional gear to be competitive (if that ends up being an interest). They are only 2wd though.

Comparatively, Traxxas 4wd setups are pushing more into the $400 to $500 range.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
This hobby is completely wallet hungry.

Here is a teaser from last years family races:

From right to left the damage:

-Team Barracuda - Got the ESC wet constantly. Has a ton of bumps and scratches since its the oldest and heaviest.
-Team Crash Dummies - Would flip at top speed, which is around 40mph, throwing the batteries to the front of the boat disconnecting them.
-Team Whopass - Would flip often. Burned out its ESC.
-Team Red Baron - Hit shore at a good clip while the driver wasn't paying attention. :haw:
-Team Bid Dog - Was speared and sunk by Team Red Baron
-Team Falcon 1 - Melted its solder connections while using LiPos
-Team Falcon 2 - Melted its solder connections while using LiPos
-Team Flying Janeck (Wrapped) - Set the balsawood shaft mount on fire when the connection to the prop failed and overspun the shaft. Burning balsawood smells BAD.

So yes. We burn through a lot of money when we do this for an entire long weekend at a cottage.

Subsequently we spend a lot of time fixing poo poo here:

Oops...

Hell yea check out the spray on these bad boys.

If anyone is curious about any of the boats or want more pictures. Just ask.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Xinlum posted:

How complicated are these things. Like, what does a standard controller for one of these badboys look like?

Bare-bones basic radio http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj13.html

Base functionality is just steering and throttle. You'll have the steering wheel and the throttle trigger. There will be two dials for adjusting the trim (center) of both channels. And there will be a pair of switches for reversing the direction of the channels.

Full-blown computer radio http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk4900.html

Way more features than can be listed here.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
For those of you looking at scale RC, YouTube "Tamiya XC" and be delighted.

I'm not sure if this is an XC, but it came up under that search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0SV2pCHaA

I currently own a Traxxas Nitro Rustler that I've been trying to sell for years. I paid $360 for a starter kit, and I'm looking for $150 if anybody is interested. This hobby costs wayyy too much for me.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Oh man, those boats are awesome! I would really like to get into rc boats, but I don't have any water where I can drive it.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Hey I was wondering if anyone could identify this old RC car I've had for awhile. I got it when i was pretty young and i loved driving it around, though it ate AAs like a champ and need 6 of em at a time.

Bonus image of the "Go Fast" switch.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

TheFrailNinja posted:

I currently own a Traxxas Nitro Rustler that I've been trying to sell for years. I paid $360 for a starter kit, and I'm looking for $150 if anybody is interested. This hobby costs wayyy too much for me.

Tell me more. What's the condition, what does it come with, does it need anything, etc.

I think it's a bit much for a beginner truck, but the price is tempting.

Edit: Holy poo poo, where can you get these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmqUllDUsc4&NR=1

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 28, 2009

Darkstitch
Dec 10, 2006

Humming the Bassline

Sloppy posted:

Tell me more. What's the condition, what does it come with, does it need anything, etc.

It's actually perfect for a beginner truck. I had one when I was 14, and it's small and simple.

I used to make mine do 180's all the time by locking up the rear wheels but this damaged the steering servo.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Ziploc posted:

Awesome boating pics

I certainly would like to see a few more photos, especially of that last balsa model. What happens when you guys have ... incidents, like boats coming together/flipping over? Do you just row out, or swim out to them? Is there much risk of them sinking and taking your investment to the bottom?

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007
ElBrak, that looks like the same chassis as my first ever RC car, a tyco Mini Turbo Blaster. I think yours could be a mini turbo hopper. Those Tyco cars were like gateway drugs for me. I think I had 3 or 4 of them before I moved on to the Tamiya gear.

Any Brisbane goons race electric onroads? I've got a TA05 tucked away at mum's place. I think the radio and speedy are toast, but I'm sure I could get some stuff from Hong Kong. Would a TA05 be competitive in a silver can class these days? I don't really have the pockets for a modified class anymore.

I've also got a TA03F with just about every hopup available, a terra conqueror and a TA01. Are these old enough to be considered vintage/collectable yet? I blew way too much money in the mid-late 90s.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

jacteh posted:

I've also got a TA03F with just about every hopup available, a terra conqueror and a TA01. Are these old enough to be considered vintage/collectable yet? I blew way too much money in the mid-late 90s.
The TA03 was re-released by Tamiya around 12 months ago, so there isn't anything there. The TA01 was the first "touring car" chassis, which has spawned the on road 1/10 touring car racing. It might be worth some money.
The Conqueror, I don't know what it is and whether it is worth anything.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Is it OK to talk mini-z in this thread, or do you consider them just toys?

My fully upgraded (except wheelbearings) MR01

With body.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

Sloppy posted:

It is a lower-end truck, but they didn't skimp on the power. Like I said, it comes with a whole kit with all the batteries and chargers you need, a radio, lots of little tools and extras, a clear lexan body (never painted), very new wheels and tires, and a new glow plug with 2 extras. It's in really good shape, I only ran it <10 times and used <3 quarts of fuel. The engine is basically just broken in.

All it needs at the moment is batteries (the small disposable kind) and one of these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJJ55&P=7
(not these ones specifically)

What's your e-mail? I can take pictures of whatever you want to see.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

evobatman posted:

With body.
I have a Honda NSX Mini Z. Cool little car, goes like the stink

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

TheFrailNinja posted:

What's your e-mail? I can take pictures of whatever you want to see.

Awesome, sloppy123 at gmail

Although I'm probably leaning more toward something electric just for less fuss and mess.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

Oh goddamn it. I was just thinking this thread was pretty cool, and then you had to bring out an RC trials truck and make me consider risking my financial future. :mad:

gently caress those crawler Unimogs and Land Rovers, that thing is cool as hell.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

evobatman posted:

With body.

Thanks for reminding me about these, I think its time to pick one up now that my new house is all wood flooring. Wheres a good place to order these? Kyoshos website doesnt have the 787B in stock. :( And is there a list of all the bodies available anywhere?

Pretty Little Rainbow fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 28, 2009

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, I was on the fence about crawling until this. I'm searching for information right now.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Holy poo poo it's custom http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11849

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

kuffs posted:

Holy poo poo it's custom http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11849

Good because if they sold those I'd be robbing a liquor store tomorrow to pay for it.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
I used to race 1/10 electric (buggy, truck, 4x4 buggy) and some 1/8 gas while I was going to school up in Denver. Went to a couple of regional and national events which were pretty cool. When I moved back to Albuquerque there was ZERO racing here so I sold all my cars and most of my gear to some people up in Denver since it was a shame to have all the racing stuff sitting around just bashing. I picked up flying R/C planes and still do that.

I went to one of the shops a few months ago and started a conversation with one of the car guys and found out that we now have one of the better permanent racing tracks in the US and even hosted a national event. So the bug has gotten me and I am going to be getting back into it but more as just a hobby.

I am also really interested in the rock crawling and thinking about picking up one for some fun especially after I found out there are a couple clubs who do competitions this this area also.

I picked up a AE 1/18th off road truck just to see if I was and ohh boy did it ignite my love of RC again. Yea I quickly put in a brushless system and yes it is stupid, stupid fast.

With the advent of the new radios (gently caress crystals) and lipo batteries the initial cost has gone up but over the long run the cost is more manageable. Having 10-15 different crystals plus when I was racing I probably had 20+ full race battery packs not to mention practice/bashing packs it was stupid costs every few weeks.

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 28, 2009

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

kuffs posted:

Wow, that guy is utterly amazing.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I have a bunch of R/C cars but have barely touched them in the last four years since I got my license and a real car. I've been thinking about getting them running again because they are all types of fun. Only problem is that I have too many expensive hobbies.

Mine and my dad's cars.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

kuffs posted:

You need a battery and charger for pretty much all electric RTRs. So figure about $100 + price of the car.

I recommended a Traxxas Slash earlier in the thread. Tower has a combo with everything you need for $271.98. I don't own one myself, but I hear nothing but good things about them. Many clubs run spec races for them, so you won't even need additional gear to be competitive (if that ends up being an interest). They are only 2wd though.

Comparatively, Traxxas 4wd setups are pushing more into the $400 to $500 range.

hmmm, any idea what i would be looking at for an out of the box ready 4wd setup?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

cr0y posted:

hmmm, any idea what i would be looking at for an out of the box ready 4wd setup?

Go to Tower Hobbies and look for the car/truck you want. They have "combo" packages for just about every car. You want one that is RTR or Ready to Run, otherwise you'll have to put it all/some together.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

cr0y posted:

Come on dude, did you even read the end of my post?

$400-500

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1404**

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1028**

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kuffs posted:

Come on dude, did you even read the end of my post?

$400-500

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1404**

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1028**
If he just wants something for messing about with, that's still a fair chunk of change. What about something like this Tamiya Dualhunter for $260? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ0871**. Yes, I know he specified RTR, but Tamiya kits are really easy to put together.

I'd heartily recommend one of these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=L7GA83**. It's the same TA-02 chassis as my Prerunner, pretty long in the tooth now, but it's good fun on both dirt and pavement, tough, simple and reliable. It also has the advantage that, if you want to, you can change out the wheels/tyres and a couple of other parts and fit it with a road or rally car body.

RTR Tamiya Hummer, $250: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRCW7&P=7.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Those are all fine suggestions. I didn't feel like hunting down more cars for him when I already gave him half a dozen manufacturers to look at.

Also, goddamn the TA-02 is still around. That was pretty much the ubiquitous 4wd chassis for anything Tamiya made that wasn't a pro-level touring car. Probably still is.