Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Sharparoni posted:

I finally upgraded to the 10 alpha today and something is a bit annoying. As far as I can tell, everything about the new version is the same to me, except it's faster (and as I'm typing this post, I can tell the inline spellchecker is awesome), which is all good in the hood. However, I like to keep a search dialog open on my personal bar for Wikipedia, Amazon and Google. Whenever I close Opera (as I do a lot) and reopen it later, the boxes are always gone :(

I've tried looking through the Opera forums and through this thread for a while and I can't find any solutions, or even anyone else having the problem. Help?

Have you tried:
  1. Right-clicking the address bar
  2. Customize
  3. Check Personal Bar?

If that doesn't work, then... learn to love keywords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I made Opera follow iTunes Store links and open iTunes automatically, but after doing so, Opera or Windows can't figure out which program to open the link with.

How do I revert my change?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

There's a new alpha out on the Desktop team blog. Nothing huge added except auto crash reporting.

davebees
Feb 18, 2009
Opera's frontpage is amazing today.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

Starno posted:

Opera's frontpage is amazing today.

Doesn't look any more amazing than it usually does for me? :confused:

If you're talking about them changing it to the crappy 1994 style webpage filled with annoying animated gifs, I've seen that, but I don't get that page if I just go to www.opera.com

davebees
Feb 18, 2009

GuyGizmo posted:

Doesn't look any more amazing than it usually does for me? :confused:

If you're talking about them changing it to the crappy 1994 style webpage filled with annoying animated gifs, I've seen that, but I don't get that page if I just go to https://www.opera.com

Try clearing your cookies :)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Starno posted:

Try clearing your cookies :)

Or look at the link and what the status bar says it is ;)

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
http://www.opera.com/?mode=forreals

I loving love Opera and the people that make it, so so much.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.
Opera 10 won't download any of my old mail via IMAP. It gets new messages just fine, but not the old mail on the server. Am I missing something?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

er0k posted:

Opera 10 won't download any of my old mail via IMAP. It gets new messages just fine, but not the old mail on the server. Am I missing something?

It seems to pull all my Gmail just fine. Are you using something besides Gmail?

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.
yea it's for my work email. Opera 9 gets all the old mail but not Opera 10. a bug I guess?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

er0k posted:

yea it's for my work email. Opera 9 gets all the old mail but not Opera 10. a bug I guess?

Sounds like a regression of some sort, yeah. Just to be sure, are you running the latest snapshot build?

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.
yep. Guess I'll submit a bug report..

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I've always wondered: What the hell are "Separators" in Bookmarks, and how do I use them fruitfully? My bookmarks are a mess, even though I try to organize them, so an additional way to manage the mess would be great.

Also:

Zuffox posted:

I made Opera follow iTunes Store links and open iTunes automatically, but after doing so, Opera or Windows can't figure out which program to open the link with.

How do I revert my change?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Zuffox posted:

I've always wondered: What the hell are "Separators" in Bookmarks, and how do I use them fruitfully? My bookmarks are a mess, even though I try to organize them, so an additional way to manage the mess would be great.

Also:

They are exactly what they sound like, you just need to switch the view to Sort by My Order to use them.
I am not familiar with iTunes, but you might be able to remove it from the Programs section in advanced preferences.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
^^^
Beaten. Switch the sort in the manage bookmarks view, view icon.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 9, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Huh, I didn't even see an option for separators before. I've always been getting by with having them in alphabetical order but I might just try these things sometime.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Huh, I didn't even see an option for separators before. I've always been getting by with having them in alphabetical order but I might just try these things sometime.
And I've always been getting by with having them in separate labeled folders... but putting them in folders made using the bookmarks menu item annoying, and when using the bookmarks panel the links were displayed indented a few pixels off the edge of the window (a la windows explorer)

Now they're no longer indented on the panel - which saves me some screen real estate. (Also - bookmarks panel + F4 shortcut rules)

Cheers for bringing this to my attention, Zuffox!

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Do we know anything regarding proper implementation of the Windows 7 Taskbar in Opera?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I'm trying Opera on OSX
My main problem is the scroll wheel is way too sensitive.
With Safari/Firefox, the behavior is normal. But with Opera, it's so sensitive that the little movement generated by middle clicking causes the page to scroll.
How can I change that? There's nothing in Preferences that I could see.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

rincewind101 posted:

I'm trying Opera on OSX
With Safari/Firefox, the behavior is normal. But with Opera, it's so sensitive that the little movement generated by middle clicking causes the page to scroll.
Preferences -> Advanced -> Browsing -> Smooth Scrolling. See if enable or disabling changes anything.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Weird. The latest build available in portage (4345) has the nice crash handler with reporting, but it crashes way more often. Worse is that the tab that triggered the crash will still be in your session so you can't resume a lot of the time, as it will just crash again. I'm not particularly amused by this.

On the plus side, Qt Native style is back.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Did the highlighter thing stop working recently? (Your own posts, original posts, if you were quoted?)?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Hirez posted:

Did the highlighter thing stop working recently? (Your own posts, original posts, if you were quoted?)?

It still works fine for me on the newest weekly.

Edit: Oh, hey, look at that, pulled it up in Opera and it's not working.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 20, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Hirez posted:

Stopped working for me and i'm fairly sure it's a forum change as suddenly all the quote and edit buttons are dimmed.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
hmm it's back to working again :iiam:

and yea, I noticed those dimed out buttons as well

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

rincewind101 posted:

I'm trying Opera on OSX

I'm having the exact same problem and AFAIK there's no fix. It's the one thing that I always hope they'd fix but I'm invariably disappointed when each new version comes out without a fix.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Since for me the biggest downfall of Opera is its apparent diarrhea when it comes to distributing its config/settings files all over my OS, i finally switched over to Opera@USB and im loving it so far (since i have to switch pcs/dual boot different OS often). Has anybody here tried it before and found a huge flaw? If not just see this as a recommendation.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Since for me the biggest downfall of Opera is its apparent diarrhea when it comes to distributing its config/settings files all over my OS, i finally switched over to Opera@USB and im loving it so far (since i have to switch pcs/dual boot different OS often). Has anybody here tried it before and found a huge flaw? If not just see this as a recommendation.

I've been using Opera@USB for a couple of years now. There's a 10 alpha version somewhere on the myopera forums too. I like that I can zip up the entire folder and copy it to another computer and retain my settings/passwords/searches.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Opera Mini loving owns. If you use Opera link to synchronize, all your bookmarks and notes are available to you in Opera Mini as well. Plus it supports fit-to-width, which is really great when you're actually trying to read something.

A QVGA sized peephole into a web page designed for 1024 pixels wide browser window gets old pretty fast.

Too bad Opera Mobile doesn't support new Nokia phones, but Opera Mini works better than it has any right to.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
Alright, I REALLY want to make Opera my standard browser, but I'm still having problems with the address bar title context search not functioning correctly. For example, if I have:

http://www.ndesign-studio.com/

in my history, and type in "studio", I get no results, despite the page title clearly having "Studio" in it.

Anyways, how are Opera's web development tools? I'm somewhat tinkering with them now, but I really hate having to double click on properties/elements etc. to edit them. I like just being able to edit the text itself. Is there a feature or I'm failing to see?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Aturaten posted:

For example, if I have:

http://www.ndesign-studio.com/

in my history, and type in "studio", I get no results, despite the page title clearly having "Studio" in it.
I just clicked your link, closed the tab, opened a new tab, entered "studio" and it offered me that URL. Sometimes if it's way back in the history you might need to wait a bit.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

Mithaldu posted:

I just clicked your link, closed the tab, opened a new tab, entered "studio" and it offered me that URL. Sometimes if it's way back in the history you might need to wait a bit.

I just went to it right now. It's not there. All I get is the "Search for studio" message.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Aturaten posted:

I just went to it right now. It's not there. All I get is the "Search for studio" message.

I just did the same thing, and it showed up in there as well. Try reinstalling?

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

Anunnaki posted:

I just did the same thing, and it showed up in there as well. Try reinstalling?

Tried numerous times. No go.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aturaten posted:

Tried numerous times. No go.

You've wiped all your settings out? It works fine for me. Do bookmarks show up?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
There's another new snapshot build out. I went and downloaded it the old-fashioned way because I forgot that auto-update is functional right now. :v: That aside, there's a long-rear end changelog in the link.

The interesting thing is that there's an issue with browser sniffing scripts that don't like the number 10 in the user-agent string. Apparently, that means that Opera 10's user-agent is going to be Opera 9.8.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Maybe we're getting close to RC/final.

That user agent business is absolutely hillarious though. It's like nobody learned anything from y2k (okay, nothing really happened in y2k, but still...)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Except for the black speed dial borders, the new theme looks pretty ok when you drop icon size to 40%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Okay, so they're giving up on the user agent version string issue. When the first weeklies came out, they said that using a version string such as "Opera 9.9 (10, really)" would just lead to "Opera 9.999 (10, really)[no, actually, it's 11]{seriously though, it's 12}"

9.8 sounds like they are synchronizing the minor version with IE's major version. When the world is ready for Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0), it's ready for Opera 13 or whatever.