Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Losi had a game, and there was another called RC Revenge

I had an advance copy of the RC Revenge game but can't remember how it was. The sequel added 'Pro' to the name but apparently wasn't any good, according to the Google results.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
It's not RC Revenge, but the game I'm talking about (Re-volt) is mentioned in that link. It was kind of tough to play, but I had a lot of fun. It was also released on PC as well.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Nah the one I'm thinking about was an actual sim, you built a car and such and controller it from like the perspective of the stand. Think Gran Turismo with RC cars.

Edit:Found it

http://psx.ign.com/objects/015/015354.html

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Couple of years back I spent a winter racing (and repairing) (ok mostly repairing) a 7-cell somethingorother buggy. I never once finished a race - always ended up crashing out. The experience sucked so bad that at the end of the season I sold off the car and all supplies for a song, and swore off R/C cars FOREVER.

Fast-forward 10 years. One of the guys in my flying club showed up with a T-Maxx. I drove it once and was hooked again, hard. Bought a regular T-Maxx and started modifying... .25 motor, stretched chassis, lots of aluminum, etc.

One more guy git a T-Maxx, then another clubmate got a Revo, another guy got a Menace.

Then someone brought a nitro buggy... *poof* we all got one.

It got ridiculous towards the end. As a racing group we'd collectively go through a two-and-a half cases of fuel and a couple of sets of tires each weekend.

Then the nitro shortage hit and we all went back to flying.

Reading this thread almost convinces me to pull my truck and buggy out of storage. Almost.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2009

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

SGT. Squeaks posted:

And this is my new 'main' car. I picked this up two weeks ago. It's a 1/8 scale Inferno GT2.This thing is huge! And it's a blast to drive. I'm pretty new to on-road. But it's quickly rising as my favorite car I've ever owned. It's pretty durable and super fast.

Your work looks really good, but I can't afford it for bashing.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the GT2. It's got that scale realism thing going for it. Plus, it's a reasonably priced huge fuckoff road car. I want one pretty bad.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
ReVolt?

That poo poo was the BOMB. Also, tons of tracks/cars were available to download on PC.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

krushgroove posted:

I hear ya :) I'm in marketing for what I guess could arguably be called the #3 worldwide car manufacturer (I'm guessing you'll be able to figure it out from that :)). I used to go to the Chicago show when it was popular, then RCX but I moved to the UK a few years ago to work for the EU branch of the company. Used to run and attend all the one-make RC races that I organized for the company as well. I post on RC Tech and a couple other RC forums as myself, won't be going to Shanghai as the folks from my branch only go to Nuremburg every year. I don't have plat (yet, will in a few days) but feel free to PM if you want. If you've worked in SoCal for more than 5 years or so you probably do know me, or at least know who I am.
Team Associated? Corolly?

I'm guessing Tamiya are still on top of the world, with the 416 beating the Hot Bodies Cyclone these days.

IVnic8or
Mar 19, 2006
Future Goon

krushgroove posted:

I hear ya :) I'm in marketing for what I guess could arguably be called the #3 worldwide car manufacturer (I'm guessing you'll be able to figure it out from that :)). I used to go to the Chicago show when it was popular, then RCX but I moved to the UK a few years ago to work for the EU branch of the company. Used to run and attend all the one-make RC races that I organized for the company as well. I post on RC Tech and a couple other RC forums as myself, won't be going to Shanghai as the folks from my branch only go to Nuremburg every year. I don't have plat (yet, will in a few days) but feel free to PM if you want. If you've worked in SoCal for more than 5 years or so you probably do know me, or at least know who I am.

I have it down to a few companies at least. It depends if our definitions of how we determine the ranks match up. I usually go by sales dollars and sometimes unit sales. As a car manufacturer we rank a little further down the list than your company, by both measures. If my first guess is right about who you work for, you guys have some top notch marketing, judging by print ads, website, and promotions.

I'm probably giving away too much info but I'm not so-cal based. I know, either personally or by reputation, a good portion of the so-cal based industry people since that's the center of the RC universe in many ways. I don't have plat either but we'll find a way to meet. Perhaps I'll create another account on RC Tech, give you the name here at SA and then we can exchange e-mail addresses or talk about industry stuff.

How's the EU market these days? Seems that they are 'catching up' to US trends and follow them fairly closely.

I want to go to Nuremburg at least once in my career. My company does attend that show every year but they've never sent me. I hate the shows if we're attending as an exhibitor but I'd suffer the Nuremburg show just for the opportunity to go to Germany. Every year, I attend the Chicago show and usually either the Beijing or Shanghai show. Occasionally some of the smaller shows but not much any more. I travel enough for my job and I need to be at the office as much as I can so I can get some 'real work' done.

Kuffs, get the GT2. It's a great car, a good value, lots of fun, and the new McLaren body they just announced for it is amazing. Sell one of your lesser used cars to partially fund it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
EU market is actually pretty good, it's expanding as the former Soviet states (Ukraine, Slovakia, etc.) get more money and stronger economies. The global slowdown hasn't helped but it's not catastrophe time by any means.

The trends in the EU follow the US after a few months or a year or so, depending on what the trend is, Japan is often the bleeding edge...drift isn't so hot but I guess it's steady, touring car is probably down a bit but 1/8th buggy is still growing and very huge, crawler is niche but growing. 'GT' type cars (I really want our company to make one) are just starting to take off, mainly people putting street tires on buggies, haven't heard of an actual full-bodied car race yet though. Large scale is getting bigger for us, monster trucks and nitro trucks in general doing well also.

Nuremburg is worth going to, it's absolutely mental there, there are so many huge companies there like Lego and others, plus loads of companies doing nothing but dice games, darts, and the most random things you can think of. I like going but the actual days there drag on and on, the last day of the show loads of the stands sell off their stock :) I picked up a nice push scooter this year for zipping around the halls quicker.

You can email me via the profile if you want, I activated it earlier. I posted a link to the latest kit preview we did in the SAS F1 thread, several pages back, no use really hiding it :)

You Am I - neither, sorry :) Tamiya is #1 in sales & market size by my reckoning though

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Duratrax Micro Street Force checking in. Cheap to bash around. And compatible with some Micro RS4 stuff.

Mine has a bigger batt, bigger moter, RS4 LED kit, BMW M3 body with added light bars and faux disc brakes.

I made sure to mask the lights and cut the headlight decals to allow the LEDs, which are pretty bright, to shine through the lexan. Works perfectally in a pitch black room.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Guts.

Bangar body.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 30, 2009

IVnic8or
Mar 19, 2006
Future Goon

krushgroove posted:

EU market is actually pretty good, it's expanding as the former Soviet states (Ukraine, Slovakia, etc.) get more money and stronger economies. The global slowdown hasn't helped but it's not catastrophe time by any means.

The trends in the EU follow the US after a few months or a year or so, depending on what the trend is, Japan is often the bleeding edge...drift isn't so hot but I guess it's steady, touring car is probably down a bit but 1/8th buggy is still growing and very huge, crawler is niche but growing. 'GT' type cars (I really want our company to make one) are just starting to take off, mainly people putting street tires on buggies, haven't heard of an actual full-bodied car race yet though. Large scale is getting bigger for us, monster trucks and nitro trucks in general doing well also.

Nuremburg is worth going to, it's absolutely mental there, there are so many huge companies there like Lego and others, plus loads of companies doing nothing but dice games, darts, and the most random things you can think of. I like going but the actual days there drag on and on, the last day of the show loads of the stands sell off their stock :) I picked up a nice push scooter this year for zipping around the halls quicker.

You can email me via the profile if you want, I activated it earlier. I posted a link to the latest kit preview we did in the SAS F1 thread, several pages back, no use really hiding it :)

You Am I - neither, sorry :) Tamiya is #1 in sales & market size by my reckoning though

Tried to email you through your profile. That feature has been disabled. I'm too lazy to create a new account on RC Tech right now but I'll do it soon. My first guess of who you worked for was right and if my wild guess of who you are is correct, we've met once I recall. You guys make some excellent stuff. I LOVE the new orange scale car and the others in the series and your 1/5 scale stuff is off the hook.

In the US market, Traxxas is #1 by a wide margin.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

IVnic8or posted:

So that is really you who is painting those fantastic bodies. I sheepishly admit that I was skeptical that those pics were really your models - I see too many people present the work of others as their own but by the tone of your posts, it's pretty apparent it's you. I'm a big fan of your work. It's VERY bold and perfectly clean in it's execution. Want to design a trim scheme for me? I'm serious. You're one of the top designer/painters out there right now.

It's great that you're getting your work into one of the magazines. If you are looking to increase your notoriety and the amount of business you get coming in, offer to paint a few bodies for one of the magazines for free to gain some national exposure.

Hey thanks! I really appreciate it. I did it as a part-time job last year to support my own hobby. I think I painted a total of 10 bodies all of last year. At the start of this year I got laid off from one of Disney's video game studios and decided to try and do it full-time to see how it works out. And I'm loving it! I've met lots of awesome people who are big into RC from all over the world. And things have really taken off. There is only a handful of people who do it full-time, and I consider myself extremely lucky to be among them. And I try my hardest to keep up, there are some awesome painters out there. And if you ever do need a scheme shoot me off an email!

kuffs posted:

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the GT2. It's got that scale realism thing going for it. Plus, it's a reasonably priced huge fuckoff road car. I want one pretty bad.

Oh yes, well worth the purchase! I've had a terrible cold all day and couldn't get any paint done. So I decided to mess with the setup on my GT2 a bit. Man that car is fun! I'm still running the stock engine, but I changed the tires and setup. It's running just perfect! Very quick, very good handling. And tons of fun to drive. I absolutely love it. Probably the funnest car I've ever owned.

mutt2jeff posted:

Can we get some pictures of your work? so those of us not in the know can have a look?

Sure thing! just head over to http://www.skyreedracedesign.com/. I've got lots of pictures there. I need to add my latest stuff though, I find it hard to get enough spare time to update it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

tobu posted:

Loving the idea of a RC car. I'm heading out to the local club meeting tonight to have a look. I've heard some bad things about it (overly competitive and elitist) but hopefully it'll be a bit of fun.

Trip report: Good group of guys but I'm going to check out the off-road cars next week before I make my choice.

Does it matter if I have an off-road car that would spend most of it's time on tarmac?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

tobu posted:

Trip report: Good group of guys but I'm going to check out the off-road cars next week before I make my choice.

Does it matter if I have an off-road car that would spend most of it's time on tarmac?

Nope.

Well, you won't have as much fun on tarmac with, say, a Traxxas Revo or other big almost monster truck or something as you will with something lower and race-oriented like a Losi XXX series, Associated B44, Tamiya DB01/501x or even a Traxxas Slash.

Hell, some of the best fun with mine is flying around the bumpy asphalt in the big abandoned lot next door. Little patches of super fine gravel help with the amusement, too :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ziploc posted:

Duratrax Micro Street Force

I'm glad you like your car, but the design is a blatant ripoff of the Micro RS4 - not uncommon in the industry, but hey you're having fun so enjoy it :) unfortunately Micro died out a while back...but I still have 3 :)

IVnic8or posted:

if my wild guess of who you are is correct, we've met once I recall.

If I am you who you think I might be (christ that's a mindful) I hope I was in a good mood when we met, I got sick of trade shows after a while! Drop me a line on RC Tech, I've posted recently in the threads about out latest electric on-road cars.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

Nope.

Well, you won't have as much fun on tarmac with, say, a Traxxas Revo or other big almost monster truck or something as you will with something lower and race-oriented like a Losi XXX series, Associated B44, Tamiya DB01/501x or even a Traxxas Slash.

We had a lot of fun racing our trucks in the parking lot behind the local Home Depot. We'd set up a road style course, swap on cheap tires and reinforced bodies (strengthened with Goop & plastic screen mesh) and made lots of noise. :)

Sprinkling sand over the corners == DRIFT MADNESS.

Racing the buggies on the same course was faster, a lot less challenging, and not as much fun. Go figure.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

krushgroove posted:

I'm glad you like your car, but the design is a blatant ripoff of the Micro RS4 - not uncommon in the industry, but hey you're having fun so enjoy it :) unfortunately Micro died out a while back...but I still have 3 :)

We are fully aware of the ripoff. :v: My uncle got us into them when they were on sale. There are 3 in the family. We only buy R/Cs for family competition so they work just fine for that. :)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

I always assumed that companies like that bought the tooling from the original manufacturer after a production run was complete. I mean, I see previous generations of Futaba radios around with different labels on them all the time. I suppose that's probably different though.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you and your company for continuing to produce parts for my old-rear end Nitro RS4 2. From what I can tell, it's still a very capable racer save for belt drive being a bit out of style for nitro cars at this time. (Man is it hard to find aftermarket parts like CVDs and titanium turnbuckles / hingepins though.)

What happened to HPI's racing side? Is that all deferred over to Hot Bodies now? When I got out of R/C about 10 years ago I thought the RS4 stood on the same ground as the TA-03. HPI's focus seems to be more on club racing and RTRs now. That's entirely understandable, of course. Especially considering Traxxas' stand in the market. I was just genuinely curious.

IVnic8or posted:

Kuffs, get the GT2. It's a great car, a good value, lots of fun, and the new McLaren body they just announced for it is amazing. Sell one of your lesser used cars to partially fund it.

Well, the RS4 is the only car I own at this point in time and I've dumped far more money than it's worth into it :P. I saw the McLaren body and it is gorgeous. Lusting for supercars is what keeps me into on-road :). I'll be buying one in a few months hopefully. Maybe by then they'll have a kit version by then. I don't care for RTR radios and I really have fun putting them together.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The tooling for kits, etc., aren't sold off, there are companies in Taiwan & China that will take parts and laser-scan them or use 3D robots to outright copy them, this is where you see fake Baja kits coming from. The Futaba & Sanwa radios you see are licensed to the various companies that use them, but there are blantant ripoffs of those as well. I saw a Helios copy at a trade show last year, and have used a copy of a cheaper Futaba radio with woodgrain molding on the handle, believe it or not.

As for parts supply, that's down to demand, not me :D but it's great to see people still enjoying the older cars. As much as marketing hype and race results are well-placed in magazines, the older cars are still just as much fun as they used to be. Ebay is a great place to find old parts though, I still want to pick up an RC10 Worlds just for nostalgia's sake.

HB is HPI's racing side, the money is in RTRs basically. Like you've seen with TRX, they used to be well into racing before the owner realized that overseas manufacture and slick marketing is the key (plus their stuff is designed pretty good too). All the biggest companies are into (almost mass-market) RTR now, look at AE, Losi and the big racing names, smaller brands like Schumacher and Yokomo just fall farther behind in sales but they keep going on.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

As for parts supply, that's down to demand, not me :D but it's great to see people still enjoying the older cars. As much as marketing hype and race results are well-placed in magazines, the older cars are still just as much fun as they used to be. Ebay is a great place to find old parts though, I still want to pick up an RC10 Worlds just for nostalgia's sake.

Man, I saw a loving amazing RC10 Worlds with the MIP 4WD conversion kit on ebay a couple months ago. I heard rumors of such a thing a long time ago, but had never actually seen one. I was amused at the simplicity and the fact that it came with CVDs. I didn't realize that CVDs were MIP's thing from the very start.

I used to own an RC10 back in the day. I remember how ridiculous the original transmission was. The differential was external to the plastic housing and sat next to the slipper clutch. I forget how the shafts transferred to the inside. But It had six gears in it, 3 for the left side and 3 for the right side. The chassis was pre-drilled for the stealth tranny, so I just picked up one of those to end the retardery.

krushgroove posted:

HB is HPI's racing side, the money is in RTRs basically. Like you've seen with TRX, they used to be well into racing before the owner realized that overseas manufacture and slick marketing is the key (plus their stuff is designed pretty good too). All the biggest companies are into (almost mass-market) RTR now, look at AE, Losi and the big racing names, smaller brands like Schumacher and Yokomo just fall farther behind in sales but they keep going on.

Getting back into the hobby, I was kind of surprised to find AE and Losi with RTRs. It was always Sport or Team edition kits when I was rolling. Makes loads of sense though, during my hiatus I remember seeing T-MAXXes for sale in random unrelated mall kiosks. They kind of made a big deal out of RTR with that thing.

I'm sad to see that Schumacher is so small these days. They were always kind of small, but at least still had a couple spots in the big races. I remember seeing their 4wd buggy for the first time. Shaft-driven when most were belts, and they even stuck inboard suspension on it. It was a wild design at the time.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

I worked at a hobby store while in highschool. One of the most fun lax jobs I've ever had. I started when the T-Maxx was really dominating the market, it was huge for us and kept me employed for quite a while.

I was offered an AR-15 for that E-maxx, and a block of weed for that TA04, I've owned pretty much every touring car from that era, XXX-S, Nitro TC3, TC3, TC4, RS4-pro, RS4-Sport 2...huge wastes of money. One of my co-workers once got offered a blowjob from some dude for an HPI Savage.

The Hobby store has been a great learning experience and I'm thankfull every day I worked there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

I used to own an RC10 back in the day. I remember how ridiculous the original transmission was. The differential was external to the plastic housing and sat next to the slipper clutch. I forget how the shafts transferred to the inside. But It had six gears in it, 3 for the left side and 3 for the right side. The chassis was pre-drilled for the stealth tranny, so I just picked up one of those to end the retardery.

Ugh, I've only been in the gearbox on my dad's old RC10 once and I remember it being hellishly stupid compared to the simple setup in the Losi XX.

I think the AE RTR craze started up around the end of the TC3's run. Part of it is that in bulk, I'm sure it's much cheaper today than it was 15-20 years ago to put together an RTR that actually has a decent radio and a decent ESC. I still prefer kits, though, and I find it slightly annoying that they don't offer the base-level cars in kit form...I've never been one to spend too much money on OMG BLUE ANODIZED ALUMINUM parts.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mcqueen posted:

I was offered an AR-15 for that E-maxx, and a block of weed for that TA04,
...One of my co-workers once got offered a blowjob from some dude for an HPI Savage.

WTF? Where the hell did you work? Across the street from a veteran's methadone clinic or something? :)

My RC10 buggy had a graphite chassis eventually, I've never seen one of the 4WD conversions up close. MIP or someone made a mid-engine conversion as well, like the X-6 buggy. I sold the buggy and 10T when I got the original gearbox RS4, that led to my job in SoCal. I had a 10L for a while but never ran it, I won the Composite Craft chassis in a raffle at the shop where I raced touring car, then I slowly picked up titanium hubs, graphite axles, HPI lower pod (my first HPI part) and the front end, but it never rolled on its own. I sold it on eBay for quite a bit IIRC.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 30, 2009

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Spose Ill list my collection. Happy to provide a more in-depth opinion on any of them if someone is interested in buying one :)

Owned and sold
HPI savage x 2 (3 speed gearbox, .28s with too much torque, billions of mods)
Losi LST2 (.28, TiNi gears and shocks, reverse lockout, etc etc)
Losi Mini LST2 (single 1/10 servo, hottor motors, center ball diff, CVDs,)
Losi Mini T (horrible car that should never have been produced, despite birthing the most fun scale ever)
Losi Micro truck (awesome indoor fun)
Yokomo MR4TC-SD x 2 (although i wasnt drifting, just had a batshit Hacker brushless kit in it for laughs)
Associated RC18T FT kit (hands down the best kit of all of them, NEVER broke despite crazy brushless power)
a bunch of those aero ace planes in different shapes and sizes (god drat trees)
some MASH style twin rotor heli (god drat anything within 10m of the heli)
Tamiya QD series (first 'real' RC)

Still got
Tomica bit-char-G automodelista edition :)

Electric micros were probably my favorite, although the abuse the LST2/Savage took was incredible. Ill dig up some photos/videos of my escapades later. As much of a problematic piece of poo poo the savages were, I hold them close to my heart for putting up with most of my stupidity. I suppose if I wasnt running stupid amounts of torque and launching it 2-3 storeys into the air it might have been a little cheaper to play with.

This thread is slowly making me want to buy a Slash and a baja SS kit really badly :(

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Haha you have Bit Char-Gs too? I have a bunch of really rare poo poo, like the full Skyline history set which has the KPGC110 fastback, and R32, and R34, along with a limited edition Dome Zero body. Is it worth anything?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Haha you have Bit Char-Gs too? I have a bunch of really rare poo poo, like the full Skyline history set which has the KPGC110 fastback, and R32, and R34, along with a limited edition Dome Zero body. Is it worth anything?

Probably not :( I spent a fortune (relative) on mine. $60AUD for the kit, $60 to have FETs on the motherboard, motors, gear sets, extra bodies, higher capacity batteries.... I even pulled apart VHS cassettes and used the tiny springs inside to make suspension for the front wheels.

The automodelista kit came with a Supra, RX7, R32 GTR and an R34 GTR (the JGTC style, not the other style body they made for R34s). Id also bought a Celica body, red R32 GTR, 350Z and a Nissan gloria. Gloria was by far the coolest.

I think the rarer kits might fetch something but most are probably worth nothing. Mine is one of the 'boost' (which is apparently japanese for 'deactivate voltage limiter') PCBs and they were less common - I think the most rare were the Xbox WRX kits? not sure.

I also had 2 chinese knock offs - Honda accord wagon and a S2000, both of which were faster than the genuine out of the box.

EDIT: apparently youre in luck!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOMY-bit-cha...trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Damnation! I suppose I will contribute....

Tamiya Mercedes SLK Roadster
Tamiya Mini Cooper Racer
Tamiya TAO3F with Kure Nismo Skyline body
Tamiya Pajero Metaltop Wide
Tamiya Juggernaut 2 (body got destroyed :()
Traxxas E-Maxx (apparently is the old model now)

This thread is a piss off! Now I want to get my batteries charged and fix these machines to get them running again. Looking at hobby websites now show me really how much poo poo has changed. I mean, I remember that brushless motors were only for the insane with a bunch of money and would stick them in the E-Maxx. Now I see Traxxas is selling RTR kits with those motors already installed. I thought the 3000mAh NiMH battery was the best you could buy at the time and I have two of them. Now I suppose they are just "old".

Oh well.... time to go spend some money I suppose...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SGT. Squeaks posted:

How much do you charge to paint?
Very impressive!

I really need to get out my cars and run them. Even if I can't race them properly.

E: Oh yeah I have a Associated TC3 and a Yokomo GT4. And then some oldschool Yokomo carbon fibre thing that I used to run years and years ago (I THINK it was a YR-4).

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 1, 2009

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Laserface posted:

Probably not :( I spent a fortune (relative) on mine. $60AUD for the kit, $60 to have FETs on the motherboard, motors, gear sets, extra bodies, higher capacity batteries.... I even pulled apart VHS cassettes and used the tiny springs inside to make suspension for the front wheels.

The automodelista kit came with a Supra, RX7, R32 GTR and an R34 GTR (the JGTC style, not the other style body they made for R34s). Id also bought a Celica body, red R32 GTR, 350Z and a Nissan gloria. Gloria was by far the coolest.

I think the rarer kits might fetch something but most are probably worth nothing. Mine is one of the 'boost' (which is apparently japanese for 'deactivate voltage limiter') PCBs and they were less common - I think the most rare were the Xbox WRX kits? not sure.

I also had 2 chinese knock offs - Honda accord wagon and a S2000, both of which were faster than the genuine out of the box.

EDIT: apparently youre in luck!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOMY-bit-cha...trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Hmm good to know, mine isnt in the greatest shape though and recently the little box I kept it all in tipped over sending loving little car parts everywhere in a drawer.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I just ordered a Tamiya DB-01 kit yesterday thanks to this thread. Its out for delivery right now. Have wanted to get a nice RC car off and on for a couple years now. Can't wait to get home and build it so i can drive it around in the back yard.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Do any of you guys have any idea what an Electronic Traxxas Stampede would be worth? I bought it years back, got a new body for it, some custom shocks, new battery pack, and it comes with a really nice airplane remote as well as a charger that was called the "Super Brain something something" with auto trickle charging and poo poo.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

FireTora posted:

I just ordered a Tamiya DB-01 kit yesterday thanks to this thread. Its out for delivery right now. Have wanted to get a nice RC car off and on for a couple years now. Can't wait to get home and build it so i can drive it around in the back yard.

They're really, really fun even in stock form with the slow silver can motor. I played with mine for about 2 months before going insane and getting a Novak 4.5

Oh, and after you've bashed a little, take it back apart and retighten the ball diffs. They like to loosen up a little after the first assembly.

Also, this will make your life so, so much more enjoyable while building it.
http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.sc?categoryId=57&productId=410
I can't recommend them enough. I took apart the whole car after building it the first time because disassemble for fixing/checking things is a pain with the unimpressive screws Tamiya provides.
Some good screwdriver-style hex wrenches make things even easier.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Do any of you guys have any idea what an Electronic Traxxas Stampede would be worth? I bought it years back, got a new body for it, some custom shocks, new battery pack, and it comes with a really nice airplane remote as well as a charger that was called the "Super Brain something something" with auto trickle charging and poo poo.

That was an MRC Super Brain iirc. Whatever happened to MRC anyway? I remember they had some crazy no-questions-asked 90 day warranty or something. Didn't matter if you wrecked your car doing something stupid, they would replace the part.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

kuffs posted:

That was an MRC Super Brain iirc. Whatever happened to MRC anyway? I remember they had some crazy no-questions-asked 90 day warranty or something. Didn't matter if you wrecked your car doing something stupid, they would replace the part.

Yeah its a really solid, really nice charger, it even comes with jumper cables so you can charge it off car batteries.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

kuffs posted:

They're still around, but their chargers are overshadowed by newer ones. Still brutally sturdy, though. I have one of the Super Brain 8xx chargers and it bounces around in my gear bag.

It seems that the RC car guys get marketed overpriced or underfeatured stuff, while the flying people get all the good stuff for similar/the same prices.

This, for example
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/multi4.html
Temperature control, storage charges, cold weather mode, lipo charging/balancing, A123 charging, NiMH, NiCd, Lead, whatever and it's $80. And you can program in settings with a computer so you have your own tailored presets.
Compare that to your average marketed NiMH/NiCd charger and it's a no brainer.

Or this thing, which is next on my list of poo poo to buy for my planes/helis/cars
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/10s_charger.htm
3C lipo charging is so dreamy :allears:
It even measures cell internal resistance, which is extremely useful with lipos.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 1, 2009

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

They're really, really fun even in stock form with the slow silver can motor. I played with mine for about 2 months before going insane and getting a Novak 4.5

Oh, and after you've bashed a little, take it back apart and retighten the ball diffs. They like to loosen up a little after the first assembly.

Also, this will make your life so, so much more enjoyable while building it.
http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.sc?categoryId=57&productId=410
I can't recommend them enough. I took apart the whole car after building it the first time because disassemble for fixing/checking things is a pain with the unimpressive screws Tamiya provides.
Some good screwdriver-style hex wrenches make things even easier.

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered the screws too so i can replace them when I fix stuff later. Its sitting on my porch at home now and I'm stuck at work for another 4 hours :(

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I had an old Raider back in the '80s that I had no idea how to use, and it was tremendous fun. It had two gear ratios in it, changable by switching the plastic gears around, and when I melted the high speed one I switched to the low speed one until I melted it. I installed better shocks, I knew they were better because they were metal instead of plastic :shobon:, and filled them with 30w oil because the guy at the hobby shop said I should. I put an electronic speed controller on it when I broke the wires off the original three speed plastic one, and never got the steering adjusted correctly so it always wanted to turn to the right. It had a Fox body Mustang shell, badly painted metallic red with black windows and haphazardly arranged decals. :xd:

I had a Futaba controller of some sort and two crystals that's probably still in my mom's basement, and honestly probably still works. My little gak box is probably long gone, but it had an extra battery and a charger, a string of incandescent bulbs with a plug for discharging batteries, a little bottle of shock oil, an assortment of little tools, a spare motor, a set of tires, a bunch of screws, some super glue, a roll of electrical tape and some zip ties.

I used to run that little car around a track at a local hobby shop ("ANYONE ON CHANNEL FOUR?") and it didn't have the balls to make the jump they had built there and land on the opposite ramp. Instead it would fly off the one ramp only to crash into the edge of the other and plop onto the ground. That was funny, but I only did it occasionally for fear of breaking the car, which I never seriously did. It was a tough little bastard.

Maybe I sould get another one...

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

It seems that the RC car guys get marketed overpriced or underfeatured stuff, while the flying people get all the good stuff for similar/the same prices.

This, for example
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/multi4.html
Temperature control, storage charges, cold weather mode, lipo charging/balancing, A123 charging, NiMH, NiCd, Lead, whatever and it's $80. And you can program in settings with a computer so you have your own tailored presets.
Compare that to your average marketed NiMH/NiCd charger and it's a no brainer.

Or this thing, which is next on my list of poo poo to buy for my planes/helis/cars
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/10s_charger.htm
3C lipo charging is so dreamy :allears:
It even measures cell internal resistance, which is extremely useful with lipos.

So, I'm not up to date on battery technology, but there's nothing about those that would make them unusable for rc car stuff right? If so, I'll be picking one up for whatever electric car I end up getting. (I know I'll have one eventually)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

angryhampster posted:

In the same sense...what's the best I can do for under $200? Is there any way I could get a nitro car for under that much?

Antirice.com Angryhampster?

Ebay specials.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-Scale-4WD-...kparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I have one of those. Its not a bad car. But it needs hop ups out of the box to really be used.

The exhaust is plastic, and it loving melts through if you run 2 or 3 tanks of gas back to back. The shocks are plastic, and if it flips on anything other than grass, you'll be replacing them too.

Motor has a lifetime warrenty tho. Redcat isnt a horrible company. even if they arnt "good".

Only advise i could give is DONT BUY USED NITRO CARS UNLESS YOU KNOW YOUR poo poo. I didnt know my poo poo, and my "used" truck is a paperweight because im to stupid to rebuild it. :(

Mind you, this is all from the nitro perspective. Electric is stupid easy to work on in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

So, I'm not up to date on battery technology, but there's nothing about those that would make them unusable for rc car stuff right? If so, I'll be picking one up for whatever electric car I end up getting. (I know I'll have one eventually)

Good lord, chargers have come a long way in both features and price. I remember then the Tekin BC112C was hot poo poo - one of my dad's friends that we raced with actually had the combo of both the BC112C and the BC112A, which cost a goddamn fortune back in the day. But, you only had to plug in one power cord to run both chargers and you got what was probably the best peak charger out there at the time.