Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

mann I wish I hadnt got my knee surgery because I want to go out and bomb some hills on my longboard (a contributing factor to the knee surgery). I havent had a regular deck in years because my active deck (socal guys know Active right?) got jacked. I still have a pretty heavy world industries deck but i dont have anything but it. how much do you think it will run me to put it all back together?

drat this loving knee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

zeroordie posted:

haha.

Well I can see that I'm not welcome here. :colbert:

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Minto Took posted:

hey man I like my element shirts. theyre p. cool

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Minto Took posted:

Whatever there is nothing wrong with their decks. Just because they 'Sold Out' to PacSun or whatever who cares. Don't give a crap what other people think, ride a walmart board if you have to.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

spwrozek posted:

Whatever there is nothing wrong with their decks. Just because they 'Sold Out' to PacSun or whatever who cares. Don't give a crap what other people think, ride a walmart board if you have to.

For what its worth, I bought the deck in 2002 at the local skate shop. The reason why I picked it up was because I thought the graphic looked cool and the shape felt good on my feet.

e: When/How did Element "sell out?"

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Minto Took posted:

e: When/How did Element "sell out?"

No idea, they've got a super loving rad team and make some seemingly honest efforts to help out the environment.

Seems like a good company in my eyes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

donJonSwan posted:

No idea, they've got a super loving rad team and make some seemingly honest efforts to help out the environment.

Seems like a good company in my eyes.

Totally agree. Hence the "sell out" that I don't really agree with but you hear from people. I think they make great decks and drat comfortable jeans.

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

People don't like Bam = people don't like Element

And introducing your new favourite skater: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMCRDL0LW0U&NR=1

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Politicalrancor posted:

I still have a pretty heavy world industries deck but i dont have anything but it. how much do you think it will run me to put it all back together?

drat this loving knee

You could spend up to 90 bucks if you're buying premium poo poo.

If you shop around you could probably lower that to 50 or less, if you don't mind blank wheels, trucks and bearings.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

zeroordie posted:

Also interested to see what happens with Koston now. I thought it was strange that they staged a fake press conference to announce he had left the team. It made sense for the "on the team" announcement but seems kind of weird for him leaving. Also really looking forward to The Berrics moving on from the weekend pizza party videos.

Well, Lakai is under crailtap (which includes Fourstar, Girl, and Royal all of which Koston still rides for) so I think they are all just goofing around doing the press conference like that.

Plus, it's a shoe sponsor, I think if he left Girl (board sponsor) it would create even bigger waves.

Weather in Montreal, Canada has been super good I'm burnt from skating outside all weekend. I just picked up CHOMP ON THIS at the local shop forgot how funny it was. It's what skatings all about (but I'm sure I could say that about 20 other videos).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Today I was cruising down a path through campus and biker rounded the corner about 30 yards up from me. Like any sane person, he rode on the other side of the path, then inexplicably cut BACK ACROSS the path and pinned me between him and the left side, which forced me into a railing. I reckon I was doing ~8-10 miles an hour. I hit him first, then my board hit the railing, followed by me. I supermanned over it, connected chin-first with the corner of the concrete planter behind the railing, back-flipped (we're talking full, olympics style back-flip) over it, and landed on my side.

The biker? I don't know, while still lying on the ground when I yelled "What the gently caress is wrong with you?" and he said with disdain "you were on my side of the road," and then rode away without so much as checking if I was alright.

Through some miracle, I walked away with barely more than a scatch where my legs hit the ground, and a bump on my chin. I'm incredibly lucky I didn't break my jaw.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 1, 2009

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Glad you're not hurt, people can be such loving pricks.

I rolled my ankle doing a lovely little fakie 50-50 on a red curb in my apartment complex.

Haven't been able to skate for the past two weeks.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Sirkus posted:

Speaking of bearings how do people clean them? Do you take the shield off? What lube are you using? Hot water soak?

A little late here, but this is my method since there weren't too many answers. Take into account I'm mostly into longboarding and downhill, which does different things to bearings than street skating. Bearing performance is important the faster you go so there's a more focus on keeping them maintained. A dirty or dry bearing can do some weird poo poo at 40+ mph that wouldn't happen to bearings on a street deck. A bearing on a downhill deck is more likely to die because of wear or heat, whereas blowing a bearing is more common on a street board because of the impacts and sudden shock loading. I have blown out bearings while sliding, but it's more likely that the side loads cause increased wear and play in the bearing.

And before anyone asks, no I don't listen to Dave Matthews, no I don't wear hemp jewelry and bro is not part of my vocabulary.

Materials: Skate tool or 1/2" socket or wrench for wheel nuts, a safety pin or something similar (maybe, see below), rubber/latex gloves (optional), a can of aerosol brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner or throttle body cleaner (they're pretty much the same thing, you can find this at Wal Mart or an auto parts store)

1. Remove the shields. This varies for each bearing depending on the shield type.

-Bones Reds have shields on one side of the bearing only, the side that's in the wheel is open. This makes it easier to clean, you really don't have to disassemble the bearing unless you really want to. To do this, you'll want to dull a safety pin or use the eye of a needle to poke the metal on the inside of the shield, you'll have to go between the ball bearings. Make sure you do not bend the shield or you'll never get it back on. You can try flattening it with a book or something, but it's hit or miss. Be careful taking the bearing cage/crown/retainer out, it's the nylon or metal thing that holds your ball bearings in place. if the balls all go to one side of the bearing, the races will separate and your bearing will fall apart. It's kind of a pain, so I never do it.

-Cheap bearings are usually sealed and packed with grease (like you'd find on a $20 walmart complete). The shields are not replaceable. You can still clean and lube them though. Just use a nail or something to pry one shield off of each bearing. Then you can just orient them like Bones and point the remaining shield towards the outside.

-Bearings with removable metal shields need a thumbtack or safety pin. Around the outer edge of the shield, you should see what's called a C-clip (because it looks like a C). On one end of the C there will be a little lip. Put the tip of your tack into the little lip and pull towards the centerhole of the bearing. The C should kind of curl together more and then come out. Then the shield should come off easily. Keep track of your shields and clips, and don't let them get bent.

2. Use your aerosol brake cleaner (with nozzle tube) to spray the bearing out. The fluid should run out of the bearing clean once all the crap is flushed out. You may want to wear gloves, since the solvent has fun stuff like acetone, xylene, benzene, methyl ethyl ketone, etc. It's bad for you and absorbs into your skin, drying it out and entering your body. You shouldn't have a problem with that little, but it's your call. The balls and races should be nice and shiny now.

3. Let them dry, the solvent will evaporate quickly or you can blow them out with an air compressor.

4. Lubricate. You may notice that your bearing spins faster with no lube. So why would you lubricate them? Well, a bearing's performance without load on it doesn't matter. When you're riding, the bearings have load on them, which changes how they perform compared with no load. Also, unlubed bearings can overheat and seize up. Overheating is more common in downhill but lube is better than no lube. I suggest Bones Speed Cream, a little bottle is a few bucks, and even with very liberal cleaning of several sets of bearings, I still have about half of a year old bottle left. Failing that you can use tri-flo, which is also very nice. Really, anything with oil will work, but Speed Cream and tri-flo are my favorites.

After that, reassemble and enjoy. Oil will come out of freshly cleaned bearings after you ride them for a bit, you can wipe it off or leave it, your call.

Jesus, I should just write a book. I'd rather be out skating since we have nice weather for the first time in eons, but I hosed my shoulder up and don't want to risk loving it up even more.

AP Knight
Nov 28, 2006

Intentionally Left Blank.
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone have a used deck they are looking to let go for cheap? I'm looking for 1 or maybe 2.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I've got some, email me at donJonSwan@gmail.com.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

AP Knight posted:

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone have a used deck they are looking to let go for cheap? I'm looking for 1 or maybe 2.

could use the cash. Politicalrancor at gmail

let me know

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

While we're playing craig's list games, I picked up a nice Sector 9 long board deck at Goodwill, but don't have any trucks/wheels to go with it. I'm trying to avoid buying new, anybody got any spare parts?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, A skateboard thread. Now I'm going to be honest with ya guys/girls. When It comes to skating. I don't know poo poo (to put in a nice way) :v:

I've always loved the idea of getting on a board and just cruising around. That's always been my dream. But I could never quite get myself to live it. During my younger ages I was a hefty guy and I know being fat isn't really and excuse, but being nearly 300 lbs at 16 skateboarding wasn't really on the top of my mind.

Now then...I'm 19 185-90 (depending on how many burgers I ate that day) 6'2. I'm starting to think about it again. More and more. I look down at my feet and see some classic van shoes Just sitting there not torn up from busting my rear end trying to kick flip over my buddies dog. Though now a days what kid doesn't own a pair of vans? I didn't buy them for the looks (well...they awesome anyway) I bought them with the intent of skating. I just never worked up the courage really :/

well anyway, I have a board and I'm teaching myself to ride. Can any gnarly goons give a few tips for a guy just starting out?

Here's what I can do: Stand on the board,push off and ride it,basic turning by leaning,and falling on my face <-- I can't repeat that one enough

I'm not trying to be the next pro on the streets :unsmith: I just want to cruise around.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Keep your knees loose, learn to tic tac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fsGmqzo8c

Learning to tic tac will help build balance and get you the basics of kick turning.

If you've got a skatepark around you, go in the early morning before all the kids wake up and practice doing kick turns and going fakie. If you don't have a local skatepark you can build a little quarter pipe out of scrap wood or about 160 dollars worth of materials (it doesn't have to be huge, I've got one and I live in a tiny rear end apartment). Having someone teach you to pump is also really huge, it's hard to describe with text, but it's basically like riding a swing - using your knees to weight and un-weight your body while on the up and down swing of a transition or bowl.

While you're doing this, practice your ollies, powerslides, boneless ones, other random tricks. It might take a long time to get them down, but if you're cruising around and doing kick turns on miniature transition you'll be having fun and wont burn out on trying the same drat trick over and over again.

After a few weeks you should have the ollie down, and some solid kick turns from which you can learn things like dropping in, frontside kick turns and other fundamentals for cruising around.

It all blossoms from there.

DON'T STICK YOUR ARM OUT WHEN YOU FALL, TAKE IT TO THE SHOULDER.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 30, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I might just practice in my backyard that has a large concrete floor. I've been working on the kick turns, but the ollie seems to escape me. I just end up flinging the board far away from my feet.

How do you guys deal with sudden cracks in the ground or lil rocks? I see them and try to push over them and I'm fine, but if I missed spotting the smallest of rocks I end up flying forward off my board. I don't fall really I just get launched ahead of my board. Kinda annoying really to get wrecked over a spec of rock.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shortymrbig posted:

How do you guys deal with sudden cracks in the ground or lil rocks? I see them and try to push over them and I'm fine, but if I missed spotting the smallest of rocks I end up flying forward off my board. I don't fall really I just get launched ahead of my board. Kinda annoying really to get wrecked over a spec of rock.

Make sure you're not leaning too hard towards the front. If there is more weight over the front wheels when they hit something they're more likely to bind up and send you flying.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AH wait. My question was already answered earlier in the thread.

Never mind this.

Gonna go practice this week on my tic-tacin' and riding.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 28, 2009

Ishwoo
Dec 27, 2007
*Amusing Text*
So about 2 years ago i wanted to get into skateboarding and i tried almost everyday to do an olly for about a month an a half before i gave up. About a month ago i was hanging around some friends (they were the ones who got me into it in the first place) and i decided to have a go on one of their skateboards and i managed to do a freaking olly first time, i wasn't even trying that hard. Felt pretty awesome and now i want to get back into it. It's annoying though because the only skateparks near me are in London (Which isn't that near at all, like a 30 minute train journey) or they're overrun by 12 year old kids with scooters or chavs :/

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Ishwoo posted:

It's annoying though because the only skateparks near me are in London (Which isn't that near at all, like a 30 minute train journey) or they're overrun by 12 year old kids with scooters or chavs :/

All you need is a curb, a small bank or a parking block to have some fun. Find a big slab of concrete or a school parking lot and have at it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody got some tips for when I skate down a hill? I seem to pick up ridiculous speed when ever I go down anything with a slight slope. When I'm going that fast I forget to put a foot down to slow down or stop so I just bail and send my board shooting off to the curb.

AP Knight
Nov 28, 2006

Intentionally Left Blank.
Today I landed probably my best kickflip yet. It was my first time landing one while moving and it felt great... until I lost my balance right afterwards and took one in the butt. Still felt pretty good though.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I was randomly skating with my friends this weekend trying random tricks. Managed to land a 360 ollie on my third try. was almost landing fakie inward heels but the board always ends up upside down.

dodatron
Dec 19, 2004

lambda equals h times c over E, bitches
Was out last night on a friends longboard carving down a really small hill - holy crap was that fun. I think I've found something to satisfy my craving for skiing in the summer. Just need to find a cheap used complete to get me going..

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I've got a Loaded Dervish (flex 2) longboard with Orangutan for President wheels and Paris trucks. The Paris trucks had some pretty crappy stock bushings so I swapped them out for a mix of orange and blue Khiro barrels. I loving love this board.

I do have an extra Sector 9 longboard deck (I think it's 44") in great condition that I'd be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

I've also got a gently used old-school Powell re-issue with rails, Independent Trucks and nearly new G-Bones wheels that I'd be willing to part with if someone is looking for a beer cruiser or parking block assault vehicle.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Shortymrbig posted:

On certain sidewalk cracks (like an inch high) you can do mini nollies without the deck making contact with the ground. The board bounces up off the crack using just the urethane of the wheels. As long as you're going fast enough to clear the back wheel and the crack isn't too big you can get some decent height.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Jones posted:

On certain sidewalk cracks (like an inch high) you can do mini nollies without the deck making contact with the ground. The board bounces up off the crack using just the urethane of the wheels. As long as you're going fast enough to clear the back wheel and the crack isn't too big you can get some decent height.

I don't know if a beginning skater like me is ready to try that :v:

What I try to do is mini manual over cracks. Just enough to lift the front wheels over so it's not a sudden abrupt stop. Then again that might not be a great idea for a beginner either...

VVV Yeah see, gently caress that :v:

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 5, 2009

Shakey Shake
Oct 13, 2005
I was born this way.
Just stumbled across this image on google, thought I'd share.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
I'm looking for a particular skate video I saw a long time ago and I can't remember which company put it out, or the name of it. It was a team's trip to Japan, and I want to say that Gonz and Rick Howard were in it but I'm not sure. They had a pretty cool Japanese tour guide dude who ended up partying too hard, or something along those lines. The whole thing was on Google video too but I can't remember the name at all! gently caress! I think the title might've had some Engrish in it also.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

I'm looking for a particular skate video I saw a long time ago and I can't remember which company put it out, or the name of it. It was a team's trip to Japan, and I want to say that Gonz and Rick Howard were in it but I'm not sure. They had a pretty cool Japanese tour guide dude who ended up partying too hard, or something along those lines. The whole thing was on Google video too but I can't remember the name at all! gently caress! I think the title might've had some Engrish in it also.

I know exactly what you're talking about, but I can't remember the name of it either. It's kind of a silly suggestion, but I'd recommend asking in the Skate 2 thread in games. I originally saw it posted in there a long time ago and I'm pretty sure it's all the same people posting in there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

37 year old skater checking in.....Been skating since I was about ten, got serious around 15 when a skate park called "The Turf" re opened in the area of Milwaukee where I lived. I was there almost every day, and got to meet a lot of pros that came to check it out. Some of them stayed for months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKG9XOKFAV4

It closed again, and from what I've heard the bowls have been filled up :(

I currently own a longboard for cruising around the suburban sprawl of Florida, and I also have a board for riding parks, I love riding bowls and seek them out whenever I can.

my rides:

The trucks on the longboard are Indy's from the late 80's, still going strong. :hellyeah:

What sucks is I've been living in BFE New York for the past year and haven't skated the entire time because there's nowhere to skate. I'm moving back to FL in Oct though and I'm excited to get back to riding some bowls, and hell just cruising around on my longboard. It may take a bit to get the rust off. I love skating, and my friends and family think I'm weird because I "should have grown out of it", everyone (that doesn't skate) thinks skateboarding is for kids and it annoys me.

Anyone ever get this...... "You ride a skateboard? Why?" [insert condescending tone]

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 6, 2009

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Fourstar Super Champion Funzone
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Sj3cMmDAfypIF2Q

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

King Crimson posted:

Fourstar Super Champion Funzone
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Sj3cMmDAfypIF2Q
Haha, Howard right out of the loving gate. You're a thug, thank you.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

leica posted:

Cool boards

Anyone ever get this...... "You ride a skateboard? Why?" [insert condescending tone]

I get the exact opposite. "You DON'T know how to ride?"

:smith: working on it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shortymrbig posted:

I get the exact opposite. "You DON'T know how to ride?"

:smith: working on it

Heh, you must be a younger dude then.....

Just wait until you get older, everyone expects you to "outgrow" skateboarding.

NEVER :argh:

I'll skate until my joints are shot. Even then I'll just get a knee/hip/elbow replacement :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I tore some ligaments in my ankle skating a 13 set, I'm out 4-6 weeks. gently caress.

Thanks DELETED for the bearing clean write up, I just ended up buying these no name German bearings from the local shop. They are amazingly smooth and fast. One of the shields came off and now when I [used to] roll around they'd make a bad rear end ringing sound.