Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

GregNorc posted:

Oh I know it's basically firefox without the trademarked logo.

However, other things I tried to install that worked fine with yum on fedora get me a "package not found" error. Example: hydra.

Well, you can use apt-cache search to look for a package in your currently-configured repos in case you just have the name wrong, and if you can't find something in there, you can use apt-get.org to search for a repo that may have it. For really unpopular or bizarre stuff, you're best off asking on that project's mailing list or equivalent if there is a debian repo available somewhere. If all else fails, you can use the alien package to attempt to import packages from other distributions. If there aren't even any packages from other distros that work, the only option is compiling from source, but I strongly recommend against that; it's almost always better to find a friendly debian developer to build a quickie dpkg for you at that point.

Edit: I've never heard of hydra, and some searching around reveals a few open source packages with that name, none of which seems to be big enough to have a particularly notable following. I'm not at all shocked that you can't find a package of it, whatever it is.

ShoulderDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 13, 2017

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I just started experimenting with linux, specifically Fedora 10. I had originally installed it on only my lovely little laptop but I think I will now try to toss it in my power pc that stays off every day.

I want to have a shared folder that I can view over the network using fedora. I have samba installed but I am not exactly sure how to use it. I am scared to dive into long documentation files, any tips to a new linux user?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

GregNorc posted:

It's THE tool for remote dictionary attacks. Up there with nmap and dsnip in the top security tools.

Is it this Hydra? Its weird license prevents Debian/Ubuntu from packaging it.

quote:

Debian/copyright says hydra is GPL, which it is not. You have not read the
LICENCE.HYDRA file:

[...]

This license fails DFSG #5 and #6 and should be moved to non-free...

Regards

[...]

It should also be noted that because this license is GPL-incompatible[1],
any GNU GPL-licensed code in it, that is not copyrighted by van Hauser is
being used in violation of the GNU GPL. That means we cannot distribute
this package even in non-free.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You should be able to install "natilus-share" (I'm not familiar with Fedora but it looks like it is included) and then you can share a folder by right clicking on it and setting the sharing options.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 28, 2009

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Can anybody here point me to a GOOD tutorial/howto on Grub? It's frustrating the living hell out of me.

gently caress Linux installers that assume you want them to completely overwrite and gently caress up your boot record.

edit: I have googled the hell out of this and gotten nowhere.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 28, 2009

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I know this is a long shot, but can anyone explain the following warning that I get when I load quod-libet?

quote:

ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.0:/org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.11" (uid=1000 pid=26956 comm="python /usr/bin/quodlibet ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=":1.0" (uid=0 pid=26778 comm="/usr/sbin/hald --use-syslog --verbose=no "))

I swear it used to not do this. I have no idea what happened. dbus/hal confuse the living gently caress out of me.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
This is probably more of a general computer question than anything but here we go.

I plugged in my Sandisk mp3 player into my server (running Ubuntu 8.04) and have it mounted to a smb share. The share also contains my entire music selection. Im using my laptop (also Ubuntu) to browse the share and move files from my music folder to my player.

When I do this, are the files being sent directly to the player or are they someone going through my laptop?

edit - gently caress never mind. I dont have perms to do that anyway. Ive just tried to give all user's full access to the sansa (chmod -R 777 sansa/) but it doesnt seem to be working.

rugbert fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 29, 2009

plaz
Jul 25, 2006

rugbert posted:

When I do this, are the files being sent directly to the player or are they someone going through my laptop?

Moves shouldn't need to go to the laptop and back - they should all happen at the server. Copies will probably go back and forth across the network though.

rugbert posted:

edit - gently caress never mind. I dont have perms to do that anyway. Ive just tried to give all user's full access to the sansa (chmod -R 777 sansa/) but it doesnt seem to be working.

On the server, add 'umask=000' to the options section of the fstab line (or '-o umask=000' in the mount command if you're doing it by hand) - that'll set the permissions to 777. The FAT filesystem doens't understand permissions, which is why chmod isn't having any effect.

You can also set 'uid=' and 'gid=' in the mount options to set the owner of the files and directories.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
edit: deleting. Was just pretty much a repeat of what plaz said.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Why is screen putting this line at the bottom of my IRC window? How do I get rid of it? Here is the command I'm executing:

urxvt -geometry 160x42 -e sh -c "screen -r || screen -U irssi"

nbv4 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 29, 2009

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

nbv4 posted:

Why is screen putting this line at the bottom of my IRC window? How do I get rid of it? Here is the command I'm executing:

You may want to check if there's some kind of status setting in /etc/screenrc or ~/.screenrc

edit: checking the manpage there's a hardstatus setting and my /etc/screenrc has an example commented out that looks like it does what's in your screenshot

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

spoon0042 posted:

You may want to check if there's some kind of status setting in /etc/screenrc or ~/.screenrc

edit: checking the manpage there's a hardstatus setting and my /etc/screenrc has an example commented out that looks like it does what's in your screenshot

My /etc/screenrc has the hardstatus commented out too, and no ~/.screenrc even exists :(

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

nbv4 posted:

My /etc/screenrc has the hardstatus commented out too, and no ~/.screenrc even exists :(

If your on Ubuntu 9.04, you could try out the screen-profiles app inside terminal to create a new .screenrc ;) Creating a personalized screenrc file would presumably clear it..

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

That's the super duper new screen-profiles in Ubuntu 9.04 doing its job. The point is if you have more than 1 screen session open at once the bottom acts like a taskbar. I find it very handy and useful, as I never bothered to really learn screen beyond the most basic, and this makes it far more accessible. Some others may not like 2 lines of their terminals eaten though. :)

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

LiquidRain posted:

That's the super duper new screen-profiles in Ubuntu 9.04 doing its job. The point is if you have more than 1 screen session open at once the bottom acts like a taskbar. I find it very handy and useful, as I never bothered to really learn screen beyond the most basic, and this makes it far more accessible. Some others may not like 2 lines of their terminals eaten though. :)

I only ever have one screen open at one time, so it's useless for me. screen-profiles only has a way to change whats displayed on the taskbar, but as far as I can tell, has no way to turn the darn thing off. :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I was under the impression it's all contained in the screen-profiles package and/or the .screenrc. Try changing the /etc/screenrc file or removing screen-profiles. (I'd google before doing the latter though)

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

plaz posted:

Moves shouldn't need to go to the laptop and back - they should all happen at the server. Copies will probably go back and forth across the network though.

On the server, add 'umask=000' to the options section of the fstab line (or '-o umask=000' in the mount command if you're doing it by hand) - that'll set the permissions to 777. The FAT filesystem doens't understand permissions, which is why chmod isn't having any effect.

You can also set 'uid=' and 'gid=' in the mount options to set the owner of the files and directories.

Awesome thanks! It didnt work this morning when I unmounted and the remounted it but it worked just now when I plugged it back in. Ive noticed that server doesnt mount new devices automatically. Im not sure if I want it too, but can someone point me to a good article about it?

edit - well the permissions aer set correctly, but I kind of cant move things over. I get a different type of permission error, but after arguing with prompts the files transfer regardless.

rugbert fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 30, 2009

Epikhigh
Apr 4, 2009
What would be the best Linux OS to use with an older computer with these specs:
62MB of RAM
10GB Harddrive
1.something Processor

I found it in my attic and want to throw an OS on it that isn't Windows 95 :/

Any help would be nice :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe something like Puppy Linux or DSL?

Your Ram is really the only limiting factor. The rest seems pretty able to handle a more up to date distribution like Ubuntu.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
I'm having some weirdness with sshd on my Ubuntu 9.04 desktop.

I can log into it from some IPs, but not from others. For example, I can't log in from my work station (a XP/Ubuntu 9.04 dual boot), but I can log in from an OpenBSD server.

On the Ubuntu 9.04 box running sshd, I'm looking at auth.log, and seeing where it's refusing the connection:

code:
Apr 30 11:09:04 smallpox sshd[18650]: refused connect from 74.94.###.### (74.94.###.###)
I've turned DenyHosts on and off, it isn't making any difference.

The same box is accepting connections from elsewhere, though - such as my free shell account on honeyshells

code:
Apr 30 12:04:34 smallpox sshd[20182]: Accepted password for juggalol from 66.7.###.### port 44307 ssh2
Apr 30 12:04:34 smallpox sshd[20182]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user juggalol by (uid=0)
Any ideas why some connections are being refused while others aren't?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Epikhigh posted:

What would be the best Linux OS to use with an older computer with these specs:
62MB of RAM
10GB Harddrive
1.something Processor

I found it in my attic and want to throw an OS on it that isn't Windows 95 :/

Any help would be nice :)

Buy 256MiB of RAM ($20 on newegg), and it should be able to run any modern distribution.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

juggalol posted:

I'm having some weirdness with sshd on my Ubuntu 9.04 desktop.

Any ideas why some connections are being refused while others aren't?

The only thing I can think of is the server only accepting sshv2 and the client only trying v1. In any case you can run sshd manually in debug mode (-d) to try and get more useful output.

edit: or change LogLevel in sshd_config to VERBOSE or DEBUG

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 30, 2009

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
Turning the logging level to DEBUG in sshd_config, here's the pertinent info from /var/log/auth.log (immediately after a restart, 1st line is when sshd comes back up):

code:
Apr 30 14:18:01 smallpox sshd[25018]: debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Apr 30 14:18:01 smallpox sshd[25018]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Apr 30 14:18:01 smallpox sshd[25018]: debug1: Bind to port 22 on ::.
Apr 30 14:18:01 smallpox sshd[25018]: Server listening on :: port 22.
Apr 30 14:18:12 smallpox sshd[25023]: debug1: rexec start in 5 out 5 newsock 5 pipe 7 sock 8
Apr 30 14:18:12 smallpox sshd[25018]: debug1: Forked child 25023.
Apr 30 14:18:12 smallpox sshd[25023]: debug1: inetd sockets after dupping: 3, 3
Apr 30 14:18:12 smallpox sshd[25023]: debug1: Connection refused by tcp wrapper
Apr 30 14:18:12 smallpox sshd[25023]: refused connect from 74.94.###.### (74.94.##.###)
The "connection refused by tcp wrapper" message looked strange ... googled a bit, turns out it's related to TCPWrapper, which I don't recall having installed/configured, but it could've come with 9.04 - don't really know.

Either way, it turns out that the IP address I was trying to connect *from* wound up in hosts.deny . Maybe I typed my password wrong one too many times, I dunno. I removed it from hosts.deny and added it to hosts.allow, restarted ssh & denyhosts, all seems to be well now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
This might be a stupid question. I set up an mdadm RAID5 a few months ago, smooth as can be. I've been thinking, how do I know if it ever becomes degraded? A hardware controller will beep incessantly, but software doesn't do anything like that does it? What would be best is if it could email me or something if it becomes degraded so that I can take action before another disk fails.

Is there a script I can use that checks every x amount of time if it's degraded, then shoots me an email if it is? What's typically done in this situation?

There's probably a RAID megathread someplace, but it's not in the first six pages.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Raluek posted:

Is there a script I can use that checks every x amount of time if it's degraded, then shoots me an email if it is? What's typically done in this situation?

Your mdadm.conf should have a "MAILADDR" line which tells it who to email when the array has a problem. You don't even need a script; it does what you want on its own!

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I have the following script (called "irc") on my server. It exists so that I can just type "irc" in the shell and have it reattach an existing irssi session if it exists, or start a new one if it doesn't. I use a named session "myirc" so that it doesn't get confused with any other screen sessions.

It works OK, but I suspect that there's probably an easier way to do it using screen's own flags rather than grepping the session list. Is there?

code:
#!/bin/bash
if
    screen -ls | egrep -e "[0-9]+\.myirc[[:space:]]"
then
    screen -x myirc
else
    screen -S myirc irssi
fi

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

deep square leg posted:

I have the following script (called "irc") on my server. It exists so that I can just type "irc" in the shell and have it reattach an existing irssi session if it exists, or start a new one if it doesn't. I use a named session "myirc" so that it doesn't get confused with any other screen sessions.

It works OK, but I suspect that there's probably an easier way to do it using screen's own flags rather than grepping the session list. Is there?

code:
#!/bin/bash
if
    screen -ls | egrep -e "[0-9]+\.myirc[[:space:]]"
then
    screen -x myirc
else
    screen -S myirc irssi
fi

Screen has a bunch of options for re-attaching/creating. Like this:

-d -RR Reattach a session and if necessary detach or create it. Use
the first session if more than one session is available.

So you could probably get away with using an alias if you use an option like that.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

JHVH-1 posted:

Screen has a bunch of options for re-attaching/creating. Like this:

-d -RR Reattach a session and if necessary detach or create it. Use
the first session if more than one session is available.

So you could probably get away with using an alias if you use an option like that.

Thanks, I know about that command but I didn't know that I could mix it with named sessions, -x, and a command. But a bit of testing showed that the following works fine:
code:
alias irc='screen -x -RR irc irssi'
Thanks!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

GregNorc posted:

Ok so I need to use dd to make a usb image bootable.

To do this, I need the actual path of the devide (Like /dev/blahblah not the name it has ala /media/usbdrive)

How can I find out what an entry in /media actually corresponds to?

Type 'mount' and it will tell you what devices are mounted on which paths.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

deep square leg posted:

Thanks, I know about that command but I didn't know that I could mix it with named sessions, -x, and a command. But a bit of testing showed that the following works fine:
code:
alias irc='screen -x -RR irc irssi'
Thanks!

Woah. I have always done this:
code:
#!/bin/bash

screen -wipe

screen -D -R irssi irssi
I will now be doing it how you do it :o.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
Python automatically creates a binary XXXXXX.pyc file for each XXXXX.py file in a given directory. So each directory with python files looks like this:

something.py
something.pyc
blah.py
blah.pyc
stupid.py
stupid.pyc
foobar.py
foobar.pyc

Its very annoying and I always end up clicking on the pyc file instead when browsing Nautilus. Is there any drat way to have Gnome totally hide all *.pyc files so they stay out of my way?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I will now be doing it how you do it :o.

Using -d rather than -x might be a closer match. -x means that you can have one session open in multiple places (so whatever you do in one will be mirrored in the others, wherever they are). -d will detach an existing one, wherever it is, before reattaching at your new location.

code:
alias irc='screen -d -RR irc irssi'

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Hey guys, bit of a problem here with a Sansa c250:

Whenever I attempt to add/move/remove files I get an error telling me that I do not have proper permissions (if I'm attempting to change anything as a user), and get message stating the the filesystem is mounted read-only. I have the following line in my /etc/fstab file
code:
/dev/sdb1        /media/Sansac250/  vfat    umask=000,users,rw      0 0
I can't see any reason at all for this to be happening. I used `chown UID:GID /media/Sansac250/` and the trouble persists. I ran dosfsk on the device and it complained

The Machine Spirit" posted:

Invalid disk format in boot sector.

I've been trying to fix this for what seems like forever. Has anyone else run into a similar problem that can lend me a hand?

EDIT

I've been poking around a bit more and decided to double-check the GID and UID settings on the mountpoint. and it prints the following
code:
[root@centosbox user]# stat /media/Sansac250/
  File: `/media/Sansac250/'
  Size: 16384           Blocks: 64         IO Block: 4096   directory
Device: 811h/2065d      Inode: 1           Links: 9
Access: (0777/drwxrwxrwx)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 1969-12-31 16:00:00.000000000 -0800
Modify: 1969-12-31 16:00:00.000000000 -0800
Change: 1969-12-31 16:00:00.000000000 -0800
Why is chown not making the requested changes to the owner and group of the mountpoint? This is really irritating; I wish it was just this Centos box that the problem comes up on, but it happens on my Slackware machines, too. :(

Loaf32 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 2, 2009

Jpfan01
Aug 4, 2003

This time I'm really going to learn how to ride that bicycle! Balancing on two wheels is just as easy as balancing on two fee...

Loaf32 posted:

Why is chown not making the requested changes to the owner and group of the mountpoint? This is really irritating; I wish it was just this Centos box that the problem comes up on, but it happens on my Slackware machines, too. :(

I'm pretty sure the fat filesystem does not respond to chown well. Though you have umask=000 which should fix that.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Yeah, it's pretty infuriating, honestly. After some more searching, I decided to check on the inodes available (if di can even work with a FAT16 filesystem), and this is the result
code:
df -i /media/Sansac250/
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1                  0       0       0    -  /media/Sansac250
I formatted the player and ran the rockbox installer again. The new install seemed to work until I hung at the bootsplash. I checked the files on the device and it looked like none of the files (except a .rockbox file, not a .rockbox directory) were written to the device. I tried to do ANOTHER re-install, and now I'm hit with the write permission errors all over again. This thing was working for a year and just up and decided to crap out on me.

The more I'm exploring the problem, the less I think it has anything to do with anything other than rockbox. If no one knows anything about this, I'll talk to the rockbox guys.

EDIT

Still been digging at this and it looks like it's due to the filesystem for the Sansa being recognized as corrupt by the Linux kernel. the message log tells me

The Machine Spirit posted:

kernel: FAT: Filesystem panic (dev sdb1)
kernel: fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain

I used mkfs.vfat and mkdosfs each and the problem persists. I guess I'll have to go to friend's house or something and check to see if I can fix it with the win fat repair utilities.

FINAL EDIT

I have healed the machine's pain. It was a filesystem problem, and trying to use mkdosfs one more time made everything work. All is good now, just wanted to post an update in case someone has the same problem some day.

Loaf32 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 3, 2009

alltoohuman
Jul 26, 2007

Shut up, Marx.
Wondering if anyone can help me out: I'm having trouble getting my monitors set up properly after installing Ubuntu 9.04.

My graphics card is a radeon 4870. I've installed the amd drivers using System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, and am now trying to get it so that my monitors are not mirrored. When I run the Catalyst Control Center, under Display manager, under Multi-Display the "Display Configuration" dropdown is grayed out, and it says "Unknown" there. In the area where it shows an outline of the displays, it's a single rectangle with "1:2" in it, instead of showing separate rectangles for monitors "1" and "2".

I'm pretty much new to linux/ubuntu, but I was running 8.10 for a few weeks before I reinstalled (clean) and I had dual monitors working fine there. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

(Cross-posted from the Ubuntu 9.04 thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Talking of screen, is there any way I can enable monitoring on a per-session-basis? I know I can enable logging with -L or -l, but don't know about anything for monitoring.

Snippet of my screenrc
code:
screen -t omega         0       bash
screen -t newsbeuter    5       newsbeuter
defmonitor on
screen -t mutt          4       mutt
defmonitor off
screen -t cmus          3       cmus
screen -t beta          2       bash
screen -t alpha         1       /bin/screenstart.sh

I'm not happy with the solution I came up with, because it seems to wait for my keyboard input or for a certain period of time before the other screens get processed.