Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

kuffs posted:

So, I'm not up to date on battery technology, but there's nothing about those that would make them unusable for rc car stuff right? If so, I'll be picking one up for whatever electric car I end up getting. (I know I'll have one eventually)

Completely useable.
For charging NiMh/NiCd and such, you take the supplied adapter with tinned ends and solder on your own connector. For Lipos and such that charge through the balance leads, you use various adapter plates.

e: I should mention that they're still tailored towards the anal retentive pilots who have 30 different lipos, though. You really need to buy the computer port for them, as well as adapter plates for whatever lipos you use (generally not a problem).

Other than those FMA chargers, Hyperion stuff also absolutely loving rocks.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/22872
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/18361

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Team Orion does a good charger. I have their Advantage Mk II, which does all the main types of batteries, also run motors on them (good for cleaning comms on old brushed motors). Got it second hand. Also got a Novak Millennium Pro, a very good charger, but doesn't do Lipo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Oh loving christ Traxxas, WHY do you have to release 1/16 scale Brushless Slash and Revos this month? I just got out of this loving hobby :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Laserface posted:

Oh loving christ Traxxas, WHY do you have to release 1/16 scale Brushless Slash and Revos this month? I just got out of this loving hobby :(

Holy poo poo, I didn't hear about that until just now.

It's 4WD, too.
If it wasn't ~$280 I'd buy one right the gently caress now.

I can forsee some really awesome stock class indoor racing with them.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't hear about that until just now.

It's 4WD, too.
If it wasn't ~$280 I'd buy one right the gently caress now.

I can forsee some really awesome stock class indoor racing with them.

Tiny short course races in your back yard :3:

I would set up a drivers stand with free spinning steering wheels and make my own real-life copy of Super Off Road

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Man, reading my own link has led me to wonder about the track layout for Slash spec races. Since Slashes are waterproof, they need more water obstacles! Probably hard to maintain, but fun to think about.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

kuffs posted:

Tiny short course races in your back yard :3:

I would set up a drivers stand with free spinning steering wheels and make my own real-life copy of Super Off Road

Hell yes.

Also, pictures of my local track. They finally finished the new one.

I am really, REALLY looking forward to this one. The big banked corner looks like a blast.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Laserface posted:

Which of these would be more suitable for mud-boggin? I assume the Revo because of the bigger tires? I don't really need tons of speed, I just want to drive around in streams and cow shitholes and throw crap everywhere.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Just got the car running, its fast, now its time for sleep since its 4:30 in the morning.

edit: now with a picture! albeit terrible lighting

FireTora fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2009

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
I'm a big rally car pervert but the class never really took off anywhere I've lived. I've always ended up racing against friends on the big dirt track at the fairgrounds, or on impromptu "rough tarmac" courses in abandoned parking lots.

My first "real" car - Tamiya TL01 Subaru Impreza WRC. The chassis is well-worn but still works fine. That's not the original body, of course. It's not a bad system - shaft-driven 4WD - but there are limited options for tuning and it's not dirt- or water-resistant.

Then I discovered Tamiya's TB01, which is a semi-sealed tub-and-cover setup for resistance to the elements, and it's a lot more tunable. It also comes with ball bearings throughout instead of the plastic bushings that the TL01 has. Oh, and it's got oil-filled coilovers where the TL01 is just plain spring shocks. I had two of them; this one is actually my wife's.

And here's my race monster - an HPI RS4 Rally. Belt-driven 4WD means you can more easily modify the car for FWD or RWD to compete in certain classes if necessary, and the car can be modded to Hell and back. It also has a tub and cover to protect the internals, though it's not as well sealed as the TB01 is.

I even put a slipper clutch in there when I was playing around with ice racing.

All of these are mechanically sound but I haven't run them in years. Would it be worth upgrading the motors, batteries, and electronics to current spec or would y'all recommend starting fresh with a new platform?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Speaking as someone who has never had one of these cars but always been interested, what's the difference between the battery powered ones and the fuel driven ones?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Brawnwrong posted:

Speaking as someone who has never had one of these cars but always been interested, what's the difference between the battery powered ones and the fuel driven ones?

Nitro/fuel cars are more expensive, noisy, more breakable, finicky, require knowledgeable maintenance and are brilliantly loving hilarious fun.

Electric is quiet, easy, cheaper in the entry level, less breakable, requires very little maintenance and is also fun.

If you want to get into RC stuff, find out about local clubs and see what the majority run. If you don't care about racing, then just get whatever is fun up to your price point. Nitro is better if you like to tinker and are tool-handy.
Either way, it's a blast.

e: Nitro cars still have batteries to run the reciever, throttle servo, steering servo and occasionally transmission or locker servos.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 3, 2009

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Hypnolobster posted:

Nitro/fuel cars are more expensive, noisy, more breakable, finicky, require knowledgeable maintenance and are brilliantly loving hilarious fun.

Electric is quiet, easy, cheaper in the entry level, less breakable, requires very little maintenance and is also fun.

So what's the battery life like these days? I remember friends having battery RC cars 20 years ago and they'd last 15 minutes before you had to charge them again

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Brawnwrong posted:

So what's the battery life like these days? I remember friends having battery RC cars 20 years ago and they'd last 15 minutes before you had to charge them again

Lipo packs charge at about 1hr for a full charge and last anywhere up to 30-50min depending on your driving and what type of electronics you run.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just picked up a traxxas slash today, and I love it! Definitely have to go back and get a faster charger though, 2 hours is much too long. :(

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Some fellow brought a slash with a brushless system and a 2S pack to our meet today. That thing was crazy fast, reaffirmed my need for an SC8.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Just got back from the state carpet championship race. Took 4th in the 18R spec class. My motor started giving out just after the start of the main. By the end of the race my lap times were a full second slower than the leader. Oh well, time for some 1/8 IGT!

A5H posted:

How much do you charge to paint?
Very impressive!

hey thanks! Paint starts at $40 for basic designs and goes up from there. I also sell pre-painted bodies for 1/8 buggy, 1/8 truggy, 1/10 on-road, and for the Traxxas Slash.

Hypnolobster- You guys have an awesome track! I wish we had something like that around here. Most of our outdoor tracks are poorly maintained, and the indoor tracks are too small to get really good jump sections.

Cage- Congrats on your purchase! That is the biggest race class in this area and those things are pretty dead on reliable. A slash is going to be my next off-road purchase. They are too much fun!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

infrared35 posted:

I'm a big rally car pervert but the class never really took off anywhere I've lived. I've always ended up racing against friends on the big dirt track at the fairgrounds, or on impromptu "rough tarmac" courses in abandoned parking lots.

My first "real" car - Tamiya TL01 Subaru Impreza WRC. The chassis is well-worn but still works fine. That's not the original body, of course. It's not a bad system - shaft-driven 4WD - but there are limited options for tuning and it's not dirt- or water-resistant.
The TL01 was the first chassis I personally brought. God awful on road chassis, so top heavy the thing would traction roll through corners worse than an old VW Bug. Happy to get rid of it for a TA04.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Here's an interesting one for Jeep fans:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-tamiya-84071-cc01-jeep-wrangler-wesc-p-28675.html

There is also one with lifted suspension

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
Whoa, that place also has the Tamiya Subaru Brat 2WD kit in stock. When did they re-release those? That's awesome.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-tamiya-subaru-brat-truck-wesc-58384-p-22838.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

infrared35 posted:

Whoa, that place also has the Tamiya Subaru Brat 2WD kit in stock. When did they re-release those? That's awesome.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-tamiya-subaru-brat-truck-wesc-58384-p-22838.html
I didn't notice that, very tempting...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is there somewhere like rcmart but for Canadians? I'm not really into paying $55 to ship a $200 item.

The Tamiya WRC2008 STI looks like fun, along with that Brat or a Cup Racer 510, but the shipping cost is enormous. I haven't gotten around to checking my local hobby shops yet to see if they have Cup Racers, though.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Brawnwrong posted:

I bought 3 batteries with my RC18T when I bought several years ago. Each one gave me about 20-30 minutes. As soon as one died, I would toss it on the charger and keep running. Owning several batteries is the way to solve the problem.

If you have the time, space, and money though, the HPI Savage SS is the most possible fun you can have. Balls to the wall fast, wheelies, big jumps, and just indestructible. Tons of maintenance though. This thing has been a total pain in the rear end since day one and it has been worth every bit. I've been inspired to hunt a nice bmx track to terrorize now.

To give you an idea of scale, the wheels are over 3" wide.

It is covered in dirt now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

darknrgy posted:

I bought 3 batteries with my RC18T when I bought several years ago. Each one gave me about 20-30 minutes. As soon as one died, I would toss it on the charger and keep running. Owning several batteries is the way to solve the problem.

If you have the time, space, and money though, the HPI Savage SS is the most possible fun you can have. Balls to the wall fast, wheelies, big jumps, and just indestructible. Tons of maintenance though. This thing has been a total pain in the rear end since day one and it has been worth every bit. I've been inspired to hunt a nice bmx track to terrorize now.

To give you an idea of scale, the wheels are over 3" wide.

It is covered in dirt now.

I loved my savages to bits but they are a loving pain to work on if you have hands that resemble even the daintiest-mans and just dont handle that good. The LST2 is a far better truck IMO, comes better equipped out of the box and is 10000x easier to work on.

Nothing beats the savage for durability (I still broke mine every week, but I drive them like I stole them) but the LST2 handles itself much better in the air and on the ground so damage is less likely. the fuel tank is well guarded too, which is a big flaw in the savage.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

Completely useable.
For charging NiMh/NiCd and such, you take the supplied adapter with tinned ends and solder on your own connector. For Lipos and such that charge through the balance leads, you use various adapter plates.

e: I should mention that they're still tailored towards the anal retentive pilots who have 30 different lipos, though. You really need to buy the computer port for them, as well as adapter plates for whatever lipos you use (generally not a problem).

Other than those FMA chargers, Hyperion stuff also absolutely loving rocks.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/22872
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/18361

Fellow on rctech.net has one of these http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=6863 for sale for $100, good deal?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

kuffs posted:

Fellow on rctech.net has one of these http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=6863 for sale for $100, good deal?

Yeah, I'd say so.

V :)

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 4, 2009

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
edit: Hahaha, nice ninja :P

kuffs fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 4, 2009

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I just found this website. Pretty good info on setting up a car and other stuff.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

The setup guide is really helpful.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
Has anyone actually used the words, "scale speed"? I have only seen it on the boxes of Nikko rc cars and stuff that you find in radioshack.

I just dug out some of my R/C Car Action mags from the early nineties, man are they hilariously styled! I may try to find the most interesting articles to scan. Unfortunately there isn't much relevance in them. I don't have it, but there is an ad for a buyer's guide that has a guy in zubaz pants on the cover. I take that back, some of them have articles on cars that were out of production at the time. One of them was a tamiya (I think) super beetle with realistic suspension set up complete with trailing arms.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The majority of RC cars are vastly powerful for their size/weight and will reach their top speed in a few very short seconds. Scale speed on an RC car would probably be boring.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

infrared35 posted:

And here's my race monster - an HPI RS4 Rally.

My Rally is one of my only cars I've kept from ye olden days. I kind of helped develop it with the lead designer and a few guys from HPI, we used to run them at the old SoCal RC. Mine was a modified original RS4 (the one I had originally in '95) until the production kit came out. If anyone was in SoCal at the height of rally TC, I helped organize the big rally race we had one Friday at SoCal, I think we had 3 heats of rally racing that night with all the magazines there and many sponsored guys. It was a feature article in RC Car magazine and helped lead to the release of the TC3 rally conversion kit, one of my racing buddies was there with his TC3 he'd modified.

stizu posted:

I don't have it, but there is an ad for a buyer's guide that has a guy in zubaz pants on the cover.

That was probably Chris Chianelli, one of the original guys that worked at RC Car Action (used to the be best/only RC magazine in the US). His thing was being 'wild and crazy'. Not to be a buzzkill but he died recently - late last year I think.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

The majority of RC cars are vastly powerful for their size/weight and will reach their top speed in a few very short seconds. Scale speed on an RC car would probably be boring.

I know, I was asking about the term as used in the title of this thread. Because I have never felt the need to use the term, I was wondering if it was a problem with anyone else. I don't mean restricting a car to it's "scale speed" I mean telling someone that their car goes 350mph, scale speed.

krushgroove posted:

That was probably Chris Chianelli, one of the original guys that worked at RC Car Action (used to the be best/only RC magazine in the US). His thing was being 'wild and crazy'. Not to be a buzzkill but he died recently - late last year I think.
Close,

I had pants and sunglasses similar to the above, BTW.

For comparison, here is the Ayatollah Radio-Controlla from the same issue,

Check out those pants!

Speaking of real speed,

Do they still do that sort of thing?

Here is that chubby cheeked mother fucker that I mentioned earlier,

Here is one of my fave ads from back in the day, I thought that girl was so hot that I just noticed the bald guy today!

That Genuine Stank fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 4, 2009

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

stizu posted:

"scale speed"

#1 question from people watching you play with your car/truck: how fast does it go (but no one ever wants to know the 'scale speed' - the last thing I bought that advertised scale speed was my Tyco slot car set)
#2 is how much (hint: to show off, tell them it's about $1000; to encourage new hobbyists and keep the cool poo poo coming, tell them you can get something similar for about $150)

It's kinda funny that people still hate on Kinwald - but I have seen him acting like a dick a few times (have seen most of the US racers doing this). Masami, on the other hand, is a total class act until he's just behind you on the track. He's turn-marshalled my car in low-ranking finals, I've seen him clean up the pit area after a big race and he's generally pretty cool.

And I used to love that ad too, when I was first getting into the hobby I would call AE for their massive Xerox'd catalogs. The ad and look of the car were the reasons I got the Worlds kit as my first 'real' RC kit (after the Grasshopper some years before).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I just found this website. Pretty good info on setting up a car and other stuff.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

The setup guide is really helpful.
Yeah, I have used that site a bit when I was a beginner. One thing about RC racing (talking about on road here), you have to learn your suspension geometry very quickly.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

krushgroove posted:

#1 question from people watching you play with your car/truck: how fast does it go (but no one ever wants to know the 'scale speed' - the last thing I bought that advertised scale speed was my Tyco slot car set)
#2 is how much (hint: to show off, tell them it's about $1000; to encourage new hobbyists and keep the cool poo poo coming, tell them you can get something similar for about $150)

It's kinda funny that people still hate on Kinwald - but I have seen him acting like a dick a few times (have seen most of the US racers doing this). Masami, on the other hand, is a total class act until he's just behind you on the track. He's turn-marshalled my car in low-ranking finals, I've seen him clean up the pit area after a big race and he's generally pretty cool.

And I used to love that ad too, when I was first getting into the hobby I would call AE for their massive Xerox'd catalogs. The ad and look of the car were the reasons I got the Worlds kit as my first 'real' RC kit (after the Grasshopper some years before).

#1 I guess that I don't know how to ask a simple question.
#2 I am not sure those are answers to my question.

I only hated Kinwald because I thought that he was younger than me and I was jealous as poo poo over it. Turns out he just looked younger.

As much as I liked that ad, I don't think that it dawned on me that it was an RC10 in the picture until a few years later.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I wasn't replying directly to your scale speed post, just commenting that when anyone goes anywhere with an RC vehicle in the proximity of non-RC people, those are the two questions you get, almost always in that order. Happens all the time to everyone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does anyone want to unload the equivalent of an RTR kit? A friend and I are planning a Memorial day bbq, and we thought it'd be fun if we set up a aggro crag type course in his backyard and had people take turns running it with an RC car.

The crappiest running 4x4 electric would be ideal, I'm hoping to spend <$100 on this. I realize a lot of the cars are geared to run fast, but there shouldn't be a problem with having a gentle trigger finger and using the car to scamper up some fake rocky hills right?

A.C.A.M.
Dec 25, 2004

may our nation state be always second rate
My first proper RC kit was a Tamiya Stadium Blitzer, that thing was tough as poo poo but I finally managed to destroy it.

Years later, here's my TT01 (second one of these I have bought, old tub is cracked and now a spare parts kit).

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

As you can see I suck at making bodies, here's two examples of the 6 bodies I have painted:

Click here for the full 640x429 image.

I have spent a stupid amount of money on parts and bodies for this kit. After reading this thread I realise how entry level the TT01 is and regret not using the money to buy a better kit and learn more about this hobby.

I have also wasted money on a Blade CX2 chopper and a Losi Micro T. I say 'wasted' because the chopper's LiPo has been overdrained and can't be recharged, and the Micro T is useless anywhere that isn't really smooth and lint-free. They were both a ton of fun though.

Also thanks to whoever posted the link to the RS4, now I have to decide between that or an ECU upgrade to my actual car :mad:. Now if someone linked me to a Group B body for it... that could be the clincher.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

A.C.A.M. posted:

I have also wasted money on a Blade CX2 chopper and a Losi Micro T. I say 'wasted' because the chopper's LiPo has been overdrained and can't be recharged,

Oh come now, that's no reason to stop flying one of the easiest most hilarious starter coax helis around.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLB0990

I have a Blade MCX and in the short month or two I've owned it I've flown it on a daily basis. It's ridiculous fun and absolutely the best way to work on control orientation. I've probably had 100+ minor crashes and haven't replaced or repaired a single part. They're phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.C.A.M.
Dec 25, 2004

may our nation state be always second rate
Is there a trick to getting it back to a state where it can charge? A replacement battery is a lot less than I expected but free would be even better.