Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Locator posted:

So I ran a real road course with the car for the first time today, and while it ran great and I had fun, it had some heating issues that I need to get resolved before I do it again.

Car: E36, 95' M3.

Normally, the temperature stays rock steady, just to the right of the middle of the gauge. Today, running the road course at PIR, the car would start to heat up after about 5 minutes of hard running, and for the rest of the session, I would have to run the NASCAR portion of the track in 5th gear at partial throttle to drop the temp. I was doing this on every lap, which was fairly annoying, but at least I got to do the curves as hard as I could drive.

Does anyone else track their M3 that has encountered heating issues and resolved them? If so, any suggestions on what I should start checking to remedy the situation?

I did discover that one blade of the fan has broken and departed this world, so I know I need to replace the fan. The water pump and radiator are both new (less than 3000 miles on them).

How is your fan clutch? If you spin the fan with your hand, does it spin freely? Can you wobble the fan back and forth? If the answer to either of these is yes, I believe you need a new fan clutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Prime candidate for a Fan Delete Mod.

Duck996S
Aug 7, 2003

I know what I'm doing
Good god, speaking of fans...just spent the whole afternoon trying to change the belts on an 04 e60 525i...
That plastic fan housing, while trick in the fact that it has an electric motor, has got to be the biggest pain in rear end in the world to get to seat properly when reinstalling.
The heartbreaker is that the carquest belts simply would not fit...lesson learned. Oem belts or forget it.
Also, 50 million plastic splash shields.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

So I just purchased my first M, and if I have it my way, I will never again drive anything else. I'm upgrading from a '97 318i so needless to say, I'm wetting my pants every time I punch it. Went WOT for the first time today and it absolutely FLEW up to 120 and wanted a lot more. I LOVE THIS FREAKIN' CAR.

'96 Cosmos on Black, 75k on the clock, 5 speed, 100% stock, lux package, cleaaan inside and out.

Only pic I have is from my camera phone:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Carbon Deity posted:

'96 Cosmos on Black, 75k on the clock, 5 speed, 100% stock, lux package, cleaaan inside and out.

That's a pretty low mileage car for a 96. Looks nice, but be aware, that there are a lot of wear items that need addressing between 80-100k miles. Search the internet and take care of them before they bite you (especially the cooling stuff).

Congrats!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CornHolio posted:

How is your fan clutch? If you spin the fan with your hand, does it spin freely?

It's turns without difficulty, but there is definite resistance, it doesn't just spin.

CornHolio posted:

Can you wobble the fan back and forth? If the answer to either of these is yes, I believe you need a new fan clutch.

It has no wobble.

I am either going to replace the clutch and fan, or I am going to get rid of it and go with a high quality electric fan instead (this was recommended by a guy at the track who runs a 99 E36). I haven't really done enough research yet to decide which way - I need to check into the STU (SCCA) rules to make sure a fan-delete type modification is legal. I am also going to pull and replace the thermostat while I'm at it.

I'm also going to dump the coolant and go with pure water+water wetter, since I live in Phoenix and the car is garaged, it's never going to see freezing temps. Are there any known electrolysis issues with these engines when running no antifreeze?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

The Locator posted:

That's a pretty low mileage car for a 96. Looks nice, but be aware, that there are a lot of wear items that need addressing between 80-100k miles. Search the internet and take care of them before they bite you (especially the cooling stuff).

Congrats!

I did my research and have a lot of wrenching experience from the 318. The first thing on my list is going to be to replace some of the cooling system components, since I don't know if they have ever been replaced.

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=55 is proving to be a fantastic resource. I've replaced most of these components myself on my higher mileage E36.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

The Locator posted:

It's turns without difficulty, but there is definite resistance, it doesn't just spin.

It has no wobble.

I am either going to replace the clutch and fan, or I am going to get rid of it and go with a high quality electric fan instead (this was recommended by a guy at the track who runs a 99 E36). I haven't really done enough research yet to decide which way - I need to check into the STU (SCCA) rules to make sure a fan-delete type modification is legal. I am also going to pull and replace the thermostat while I'm at it.

I'm also going to dump the coolant and go with pure water+water wetter, since I live in Phoenix and the car is garaged, it's never going to see freezing temps. Are there any known electrolysis issues with these engines when running no antifreeze?

You're going to be taking a pretty large risk running pure water (with a small amount of additive) on a daily driver. I know Redline's reputation, but I'd still be nervous about removing so much lubrication from my cooling system. You might want to ask this question on the Bimmer forums and get some more info before you drain your coolant.

The cooler thermostat may help, but tracking a car in Phoenix is pure torture on a car that already has a weak cooling system. Personally, I'd start looking for a new, higher performance radiator and I'd definitely switch to an electric fan.

Also, you may have damaged your new water pump by running with a broken fan. Just keep it in mind.

Miyamoto
May 17, 2006
heathen
I recently pulled the trigger on a 2006 325i with all the bells and whistles. It's been an absolute blast to drive. For those of you who own an e90 3, what are some mods that you have done or would do if you had 1-2k at your disposal? I've decided that performance is more important than aesthetics, but I'd really like to update the rims as well.

Set of rims/tires - I currently have the 17" OEM RFTs, but I don't feel like these pop out enough. I really like some of the M-class rims, but I didn't know if it would be tacky to have M5 rims on a 325i. Sounds silly, but I don't want to look like a total idiot if that's a big no no. Any brands I should look for? What size is best? I do plan on taking the current RFTs off and replacing them with winter tires so I can bang around these rims in the winter (I live in Ohio).

Performance parts - Here is where I'm fairly clueless. I have literally no experience in the garage. I love the zippiness of the 3, but I want just a little more. Are there any essential performance modifications I should make that will give me a noticable boost in power? I've heard of anything from chips to intake to exhaust, etc. What's the best bang for the buck? I have no plans on racing this car; I just want a little boost in power.

Misc mods - anything fun you've done to your 3 that you would recommend?

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I had M6 replicas on my e46 330i and I felt it looked great. Really, it's up to you, and if you're pleased with the way they look, then don't worry about what other people think.

I don't believe the OEM M6 or M5 wheels will fit your car, though, so you will need to find replicas. They're all over eBay. If you go with the M6 replica, I personally prefer the silver/silver wheel over the silver/gunmetal (silver dish/windows & silver face, instead of gunmetal dish/windows & silver face).

Here's an example.

Silver/silver:

Silver/gunmetal:

The M5 wheels have similar color patterns although I never saw any two-toned ones for sale.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm looking at a 2001 325i sedan, manual, with 116k miles on it. Currently owned by a bmw tech, so all service has been done and is up-to-date. Has Xenon lights, other than that, mostly standard. He's said that $7500 is his bottom line, but I can probably drop another few hundred off it...

1) What should I be concerned about?

2) Is this a competitive price?

I am looking for a car to do daily-driver / local family hauling duties. I've got a Volvo XC90 for long trips, so space isn't an issue.

I'm looking for something that's fun to drive, instead of the toaster-appliance that is the XC90. Thanks for any input.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

meatpimp posted:

I'm looking at a 2001 325i sedan, manual, with 116k miles on it. Currently owned by a bmw tech, so all service has been done and is up-to-date. Has Xenon lights, other than that, mostly standard. He's said that $7500 is his bottom line, but I can probably drop another few hundred off it...

1) What should I be concerned about?

2) Is this a competitive price?

I am looking for a car to do daily-driver / local family hauling duties. I've got a Volvo XC90 for long trips, so space isn't an issue.

I'm looking for something that's fun to drive, instead of the toaster-appliance that is the XC90. Thanks for any input.

Trade-in is about $4600 on that car and private party is $5500 in "good" condition, so I'd say the price is a bit high, even for being maintained. The 325i is as common as dirt as far as the E46 is concerned. BMW leased a ton of them. IF (big if) he's done everything, including replacing the entire cooling system (a big weak spot) AND refreshed the entire suspension recently, $7000 is as high as I would go. If he's really just following BMW's (scant) maintenance schedule to the letter and nothing more, offer the KBB $5500. That being said, I took a quick peak at Autotrader and I'm seeing 100k+ miles 325i's being offered for ~$9,000. I think the dealers are dreaming with those prices though.

Concerns are the cooling system, as I mentioned above. You want proof positive that the ENTIRE thing has been replaced (radiator, hoses, waterpump, thermostat, expansion tank). If not, plan on doing it ASAP and budget accordingly. Parts are about $500-600. If the suspension has never been replaced, it's toast. Get shocks, bushings, and all control arms ($800-$1000 in parts). The M54 engine is pretty stout as long as the oil has been changed (even following BMW's 15k drain intervals). The rear coil springs on cars that have spent their lives in salty environments have been known to snap, so be on the lookout for that. Other than that, they are pretty reliable cars when maintained.

WISDOM!!!11
Apr 14, 2008

Brock Landers posted:

Trade-in is about $4600 on that car and private party is $5500 in "good" condition, so I'd say the price is a bit high, even for being maintained. The 325i is as common as dirt as far as the E46 is concerned. BMW leased a ton of them. IF (big if) he's done everything, including replacing the entire cooling system (a big weak spot) AND refreshed the entire suspension recently, $7000 is as high as I would go. If he's really just following BMW's (scant) maintenance schedule to the letter and nothing more, offer the KBB $5500. That being said, I took a quick peak at Autotrader and I'm seeing 100k+ miles 325i's being offered for ~$9,000. I think the dealers are dreaming with those prices though.

Concerns are the cooling system, as I mentioned above. You want proof positive that the ENTIRE thing has been replaced (radiator, hoses, waterpump, thermostat, expansion tank). If not, plan on doing it ASAP and budget accordingly. Parts are about $500-600. If the suspension has never been replaced, it's toast. Get shocks, bushings, and all control arms ($800-$1000 in parts). The M54 engine is pretty stout as long as the oil has been changed (even following BMW's 15k drain intervals). The rear coil springs on cars that have spent their lives in salty environments have been known to snap, so be on the lookout for that. Other than that, they are pretty reliable cars when maintained.

after all that, it sounds to me like it's about as reliable as getting an asthmatic pensioner to set the new world record in the triathlon

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

WISDOM!!!11 posted:

after all that, it sounds to me like it's about as reliable as getting an asthmatic pensioner to set the new world record in the triathlon

to be honest, any car's suspension is toast after 100k miles.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

peterjmatt posted:

You're going to be taking a pretty large risk running pure water (with a small amount of additive) on a daily driver. I know Redline's reputation, but I'd still be nervous about removing so much lubrication from my cooling system. You might want to ask this question on the Bimmer forums and get some more info before you drain your coolant.

The cooler thermostat may help, but tracking a car in Phoenix is pure torture on a car that already has a weak cooling system. Personally, I'd start looking for a new, higher performance radiator and I'd definitely switch to an electric fan.

Also, you may have damaged your new water pump by running with a broken fan. Just keep it in mind.

For what it's worth, it's not a daily driver, it's a dedicated autocross/track car.

Since it's hot here in the summer, it won't see much movement out of the garage for several months, so I've got some time to address things. I may go ahead and replace the water pump at the same time, and I'll be doing more research on things like the water wetter before I do anything.

Thanks!

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
My HVAC controls are buggered up somehow. I am suspecting the sensor on the drivers side is hosed but I have no way of knowing anything for sure. When the temperatures are set to 60f on each side with the cold on 3 bars (in the center) the passenger side will blow cold but the drivers side and the rear will blow HOT. Should I just start by replacing the sensors in the center of the car? 1997 540i btw.

Those M5 wheels are pure hotness and if I still have my 540 for next summer I will be getting them :)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I got a new engine harness for my E30 since my current one is a little butchered at this point, but I can't figure out where this plug goes, any help?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

I got a new engine harness for my E30 since my current one is a little butchered at this point, but I can't figure out where this plug goes, any help?

Looks like the airflow meter connector.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Brock Landers posted:

Looks like the airflow meter connector.

I removed the entire intake up to the manifold today and there was nothing like that anywhere. It's hard to tell in the photo, but its about 2" in diameter.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

two_beer_bishes posted:

I removed the entire intake up to the manifold today and there was nothing like that anywhere. It's hard to tell in the photo, but its about 2" in diameter.

I don't know much about E30 automatic trannies, but that looks like a tranny plug. You may have gotten a harness from an auto car.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

peterjmatt posted:

I don't know much about E30 automatic trannies, but that looks like a tranny plug. You may have gotten a harness from an auto car.

I was thinking the same thing, but the engine I took this from has a manual trans...

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

The Locator posted:

For what it's worth, it's not a daily driver, it's a dedicated autocross/track car.

Since it's hot here in the summer, it won't see much movement out of the garage for several months, so I've got some time to address things. I may go ahead and replace the water pump at the same time, and I'll be doing more research on things like the water wetter before I do anything.

Thanks!

Do you get DQ'd if you drop any fluids on the track or something?

Mr.Bucket
Feb 7, 2006

Watch out! The balls pop out of his mouth!
That looks to be the connector for the fuse box.

If your car is an early car your fuse box connection may be a rectangular plug instead of that round one. There are pin outs posted around the web that should help you wire it up.

edit: found it

Mr.Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 5, 2009

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mr.Bucket posted:

That looks to be the connector for the fuse box.

If your car is an early car your fuse box connection may be a rectangular plug instead of that round one. There are pin outs posted around the web that should help you wire it up.

edit: found it

Perfect, thank you! Yeah the harness is from an 87 and my car is an 85 so that makes sense.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Locator posted:

So I ran a real road course with the car for the first time today, and while it ran great and I had fun, it had some heating issues that I need to get resolved before I do it again.

Car: E36, 95' M3.

Normally, the temperature stays rock steady, just to the right of the middle of the gauge. Today, running the road course at PIR, the car would start to heat up after about 5 minutes of hard running, and for the rest of the session, I would have to run the NASCAR portion of the track in 5th gear at partial throttle to drop the temp. I was doing this on every lap, which was fairly annoying, but at least I got to do the curves as hard as I could drive.

Does anyone else track their M3 that has encountered heating issues and resolved them? If so, any suggestions on what I should start checking to remedy the situation?

I did discover that one blade of the fan has broken and departed this world, so I know I need to replace the fan. The water pump and radiator are both new (less than 3000 miles on them).

Does the E36 have the buffered temperature gauge? Are you sure the heating was abnormal?

I know on the track, my E46 sees oil temperatures about 50 degrees hotter than I see on the street. I'm pretty sure the coolant gauge only reads the same in both places because of the buffering they did to shut idiots up...

BlackBart
Sep 4, 2006
random e30 photoshop I did for a class...

vroomz!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Another question: Why would I have 12v at the ignition coil but no spark when I hold the coil->dist wire close to the chassis?

I just want my car working again :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lufiron posted:

Do you get DQ'd if you drop any fluids on the track or something?

You get spun typically due to loss of traction! Also, if you for some reason kept running, you'd get black flagged if you were dropping fluid.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Does the E36 have the buffered temperature gauge? Are you sure the heating was abnormal?

I know on the track, my E46 sees oil temperatures about 50 degrees hotter than I see on the street. I'm pretty sure the coolant gauge only reads the same in both places because of the buffering they did to shut idiots up...

I have no idea what this 'buffering' is that you speak of. Is there some way to know if my car is equipped with this 'feature'?

It was indicating much hotter than I'm comfortable with, and I was able to get it to drop partially back to the normal spot by short shifting and keeping the RPM down in the straight, so it doesn't seem like I have this.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Locator posted:

I have no idea what this 'buffering' is that you speak of. Is there some way to know if my car is equipped with this 'feature'?

It was indicating much hotter than I'm comfortable with, and I was able to get it to drop partially back to the normal spot by short shifting and keeping the RPM down in the straight, so it doesn't seem like I have this.

The buffered temperature gauge is designed to point exactly in the middle of the movement for a range of normal temperatures, instead of having a 1:1 relationship between temperatures and needle positions. The needle only moves when the temperature is significantly above or below the normal operating temperatures. It basically reduces the functionality of the temp gauge to barely more than an idiot light.

A quick googling finds mention of buffered temp gauges in E36s, so it seems you do have this "feature"

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

A quick googling finds mention of buffered temp gauges in E36s, so it seems you do have this "feature"

That's a pretty stupid feature for "the ultimate driving machine"!

Thanks for the info, I may have to see about supplementing that gauge with a real one, that has actual temperatures on it.

wintyfresh
May 5, 2007
Given the title of the thread I had to post the racecar I raced and helped to build.

Team Porcubimmer

It's a 24 Hours of LeMons car, a 1987 325e that's survived two races so far and shows no signs of quitting.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

wintyfresh posted:

shows no signs of quitting.

Your not kidding. That's awesome. More pictures?

wintyfresh
May 5, 2007
Here's my wife and I extracting a fuel pump at Altamont...

And here it is done up as "Porcubimmer 2: Judgement Day" for the Thunderhill race.

Lots more pics and team updates on the Porcubimmer Blog.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wintyfresh posted:

And here it is done up as "Porcubimmer 2: Judgement Day" for the Thunderhill race.

Am I to take it that the entire left side of the car is fabricated from aluminum tape?

wintyfresh
May 5, 2007
Just the front fender and hood were done in foil,

But the eye lights up.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP
Is there any reason I need to put rotor retaining screws back on my 318ti? I ended up having to weld nuts on my old ones to get them out, and would rather not deal with it again.

They are just there to make it a little easier to change tires, right?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Locator posted:

That's a pretty stupid feature for "the ultimate driving machine"!

I agree wholeheartedly, but apparently it cuts down on service appointments for cars that run "a little hot" or "a little cold" or "don't hold a constant temperature" :rolleyes:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Swap_File posted:

Is there any reason I need to put rotor retaining screws back on my 318ti? I ended up having to weld nuts on my old ones to get them out, and would rather not deal with it again.

They are just there to make it a little easier to change tires, right?

Yup. The are optional. You can solve the corrosion problem by using anti-seize if you want though.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Norway's largest paper is reporting that BMW is suffering too under these difficult economical times..
Apparently the numbers for the first quarter of 2009 are 152 million Euros in the red.
This is a pretty huge contrast to 2008's first quarter with 487 millions profit.

The overall sales are down 13% so far this year..

Let's hope they figure it out and turn it around again :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicarim
Jun 8, 2007
urban dweller
My dad just sent me an email informing me of his newest purchase:

So I guess next week i'll fly down and take this thing out for a spin, and then try to convince him to let me inherit his e30.