Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Got a new keyboard so I decided to redo my cabling and tidy things up today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

chimz posted:

You have a giant Hackintosh, a Dell keyboard, and a [i]Mighty Mouse[\i]!? WTF?

Get a MX Revolution or something....

I don't like side buttons or scroll wheels, so the Mighty Mouse is perfect for me. I do have a Dell bog standard mouse to the side there for games.

Juriko posted:

I figure every time I run out of space I will just bolt another arm onto it.

That's a really cute little setup! Doesn't seem very ergonomic though, does it get tiring to use the tablet?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Juriko posted:

I figure every time I run out of space I will just bolt another arm onto it.

That's exactly the type of desk I'm looking for for my bedroom - where did you get it and how much?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

BorderPatrol posted:

Got a new keyboard so I decided to redo my cabling and tidy things up today.

Is that desktop a hackintosh or do you have the PowerBook hooked up to both monitors somehow?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
oops, I quoted the wrong post.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

My machine, nothing fancy. I moved to a smaller desk and lost my dual monitors.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I don't like side buttons or scroll wheels, so the Mighty Mouse is perfect for me. I do have a Dell bog standard mouse to the side there for games.

That's a really cute little setup! Doesn't seem very ergonomic though, does it get tiring to use the tablet?

Not really. The keyboard is actually on an arm so I can move it in out, rotate, swing it out of the way etc. Considering you should have your arm extended when drawing it is about 12-18 inches away from my body. If I want it closer or at a different angle the keyboards tray is actually a lot bigger and under the table so they can change places. After drawing in studio classes pretty much anything is more ergonomic to be honest.

Corbet posted:

That's exactly the type of desk I'm looking for for my bedroom - where did you get it and how much?

It's just an old filing cabinet I took and bolted a small ikea desktop to. It used to have a small glass top for holding printer so I just took that off and bolted the table top through the existing mount holes. The filing cabinet is heavy so it counter balances fine. The monitor arm is something I got off of walmarts online site. It was the only arm I could find at the time that held enough weight and didn't cost 200 dollars. I Found a plant holder I liked that had bolt spacing the same distance as the monitor arms tilt bolts to I just cut down some bolts down, added some rubber washers and bolted the hook at that joint to use as a headphone holder. The keyboard is on a rail mounted ergonomic keyboard lift with a large platform made out of some masonite. It is basically a frankendesk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

Is that desktop a hackintosh or do you have the PowerBook hooked up to both monitors somehow?

It's a Hackintosh setup.

I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro to replace it, would have to get a Matrox DualHead box to power the monitors though.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Photex posted:

Do you use your computer standing up?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Zuffox posted:

Do you use your computer standing up?

No but if I put a chair in front you wouldn't be able to see my desktop which would then mean I would need to start a new thread post your (actual) chair and monitor. :smug:

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Photex posted:

No but if I put a chair in front you wouldn't be able to see my desktop which would then mean I would need to start a new thread post your (actual) chair and monitor. :smug:

I think it is generally better to look down than up on your default monitor. Otherwise could stress your eyes. If this criteria is met it must be some chair. Especially if you don't want to reach your keyboard from afar. :)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jarl posted:

I think it is generally better to look down than up on your default monitor. Otherwise could stress your eyes. If this criteria is met it must be some chair. Especially if you don't want to reach your keyboard from afar. :)

nah in reality I have a nice high back office chair I don't use the keyboard tray anymore, it's uncomfortable.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I'm only asking, because, ergonomically, your eyeline should be on level with the top of the monitor, with your triceps perpendicular to your triceps placed horizontally when using the keyboard. #

But granted, the perspective and height is difficult to judge from the picture.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zuffox posted:

your triceps perpendicular to your triceps

That sounds painful :(

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

That sounds painful :(
Pff, painful, but ergonomic!

Let's rephrase it as keeping your elbow a 90 degree angle.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Welcome to the bunker.

I went to town on the Ikea Mikael series and I loving love it. Now I just need a Saarinen Executive on casters and I'll be happy...

I will never be happy. :emo:

Here's the labels I didn't paste in, make it a game:

Dell RT7D50 borderless keyboard
Teapot
French Press
King Arthur 12"
(out of view) Black Knight 12"

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 5, 2009

georgelazenby
Apr 14, 2004
georgelazenby

Handiklap posted:

I will never be happy. :emo:

at least you know yourself.

(like me :emo:)

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

georgelazenby posted:

at least you know yourself.

(like me :emo:)

I just know that neither my wife nor my boss would ever let me throw $2000+ at a chair. I would definitely let myself. This is the one truth.

Kid in Bed
Mar 1, 2006

deek!

glompix posted:

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

What's going on with that laptop keyboard + CRT? I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

it's this thing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=380113092926

It's not the greatest thing ever and it's pretty old school but I can swing the whole thing over when I'm working on music and push it out of the way when I need desk space.

The keyboard is an Adesso slimtouch it has a built in touch pad so everything is on that one arm. I accidentally ordered it instead of the wireless one they also sell which is a lot cooler.

Kid in Bed fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 6, 2009

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Handiklap posted:

I just know that neither my wife nor my boss would ever let me throw $2000+ at a chair. I would definitely let myself. This is the one truth.

It is honestly a worthy investment if you really spend time at your computer. Pretty much all my hobbies result in my plopping my rear end in a chair so I plan on saving up and going all out on my next one. If you are going to sit in it for 10 hours a day why wouldn't you. They also last longer. My current chair is a 350 dollar task chair, and a lot of my friends have been through 2-3 100 dollar chairs over the life I have had this one. Cheap chairs just flatten out and feel like poo poo after a few months.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

This is pretty much how it always is. Slightly messy but not too bad.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

1997 posted:

This is pretty much how it always is. Slightly messy but not too bad.

I have those cups! I don't remember where it came from but it is AWESOME for drinking large amounts of fluids. I think the set comes in green, red, and some other color right?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Cizzo posted:

I have those cups! I don't remember where it came from but it is AWESOME for drinking large amounts of fluids. I think the set comes in green, red, and some other color right?

I don't really know. My mom got them but they're all that weird orangish-redish color. They are my favorite cups ever. I hate drinking out of glasses because I am so used to those cups. Good stuff, buddy!

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

1997 posted:

I don't really know. My mom got them but they're all that weird orangish-redish color. They are my favorite cups ever. I hate drinking out of glasses because I am so used to those cups. Good stuff, buddy!

I have the *exact* same cups at home but they're blue, and I'm guessing that my Girlfriend bought them from IKEA or Habitat? That's the only places she goes for poo poo like that anyway.

But agreed, awesome cups.

blanksuspect
Mar 4, 2009

Photex posted:

Hello mouse, mousepad, and speakers buddy! :hfive:

I used to have pretty much that setup except with a corner desk (and yet still the same amount of space) and I had to knock the monitor stand off because it made my neck feel like poo poo.

Zuffox posted:

your triceps perpendicular to your triceps

I generally try to keep it so that while my forearms are placed flat on my arm-rests, my wrist is just slightly resting on the mousepad and my hand supported by the mouse. I'd say the elbows were at about a 120 degree angle, seeing as I can't sit close enough to make that happen, and I find it pretty comfortable.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
At work. I just made the backgrounds yesterday. Left screen is Linux, middle and right are Windows, all with one keyboard and mouse using Synaptic, which is the best thing ever. Also the keyboard is a 1984 original M-series which I just hooked up and am currently driving my office-mate crazy with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FeloniousDrunk posted:

At work. I just made the backgrounds yesterday. Left screen is Linux, middle and right are Windows, all with one keyboard and mouse using Synaptic, which is the best thing ever. Also the keyboard is a 1984 original M-series which I just hooked up and am currently driving my office-mate crazy with.

I like that you are putting that cold fusion book to good use.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!

Juriko posted:

I like that you are putting that cold fusion book to good use.

It's the only thing I've ever used it for.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Looks like you're working at NORAD.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Zuffox posted:

Looks like you're working at NORAD.
Ha, it's purely delusions of grandeur. At least I hope NORAD doesn't use ColdFusion... I'm a programmer for a university library.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Left to right: Dell Mini 9, microphones with amp (used with mini 9 for thesis project), Acer Aspire One, Zune 80GB, then the dual monitors for my desktop. I really like having one widescreen monitor and another 5:4 in portrait mode, works really well for everything. I also use one of those nGen mousepads, seems to work great.

edit: the keyboard is a Logitech UltraX, which I love and highly recommend.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 9, 2009

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Glottis posted:

Left to right: Dell Mini 9, microphones with amp (used with mini 9 for thesis project), Acer Aspire One, Zune 80GB, then the dual monitors for my desktop. I really like having one widescreen monitor and another 5:4 in portrait mode, works really well for everything. I also use one of those nGen mousepads, seems to work great.

What keyboard is that? Looks cool.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Where did you get the backgrounds from, that you modified?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

Where did you get the backgrounds from, that you modified?

I just did an advanced google image search for "world" and filtered for "extra large". I needed 1440+1440+1024 pixels wide, so anything bigger than that was good.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Ikea Jonas
LG 32" 5700 1080P
MS Mezzo 2 + mopads
CA Azur 340
Saitek Eclipse
MX510
Soundstyle XS105
Ipod Touch 2g w/ Denon AHC-551
Canon Pixma IP4500
Camera lenses and such
etc.

And the actual PC: (are we allowed multiple pics?)

Lian Li v1200+ with a pretty average PC inside :/

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Probably the wrong thread to ask this but those of you running multiple pcs with one kb and mouse via synergy or teleport...do you notice any lag when gaming?

I am getting my setup together and would prefer to game via a kb and mouse directly connected to my mac, just don't know how feasble that would be.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Left screen is Linux, middle and right are Windows, all with one keyboard and mouse using Synaptic, which is the best thing ever.

You mean Synergy, right?

Or is there a similar tool like Synergy called Synaptic? (Google mostly points to the apt-get UI)
Just asking, because Synergy hasn't been updated in quite a while now and while it works flawlessly (except for gaming), the setup could use some improvements (like for instance a graphic representation of the screens where you could just set up and drag your screens around instead of this "0 to 100% of the left of xxx goes to 0 to 100% of yyy" and "0 to 100% of the right of yyy goes to 0 to 100% of xxx"

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

mcbexx posted:

You mean Synergy, right?

Or is there a similar tool like Synergy called Synaptic? (Google mostly points to the apt-get UI)
Just asking, because Synergy hasn't been updated in quite a while now and while it works flawlessly (except for gaming), the setup could use some improvements (like for instance a graphic representation of the screens where you could just set up and drag your screens around instead of this "0 to 100% of the left of xxx goes to 0 to 100% of yyy" and "0 to 100% of the right of yyy goes to 0 to 100% of xxx"

Um, yeah. Those "Syn-" words confuse me... it's Synergy, yes. I don't even use Synaptic anymore.

I wuss out and use Quicksynergy which hides some of the icky options, but it (also) doesn't do anything cool like a draggable screen arrangement thing. I don't really move my screens around much, so once I get it working it just stays that way.

As for gaming, I can't really say, I'm not much of a gamer beyond Flash puzzles. Since the mouse/clipboard/keyboard information is sent over the LAN it might be affected if there's a lot of network activity, like if you were playing WoW or Second Life or something of that sort.

Miyari
Jul 15, 2008

I am ze Ubermensch!
Living like poo poo, but I don't care - my setup makes me happy. I have a ton of new parts coming soon so this will probably be the last pic featuring the beloved (and terribly overheating) pink computer case. The top left corner of my desk is still cleared out because I was going to try and hang one of those plush toy nets up there at some point.

Click the pic for the embiggened version. Still grainy as hell, but my camera sucks.

Also, every rental in Texas has this same horrendous carpet, and no labeling so have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts
Mar 10, 2008

by angerbotSD
clean your desk