Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

augustaugustaugust posted:

I'm looking for a new obsession. I need music that gives me a concept or good lyrics to think about while I'm enjoying the music, I like a bent sense of humor, I like it loud, I like texture and odd instrumentality, I like pop music that is pushing beyond the bounds of pop music. The following bands have filled this role for me at one time or another:

-Godspeed You! Black Emperor
-The loving Champs
-Jethro Tull
-Pink Floyd
-Mr. Bungle
-Tom Waits
-The Artists Forever Known as the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu
-The Pogues

What a strange request.

Try Can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I'm looking for a new obsession. I need music that gives me a concept or good lyrics to think about while I'm enjoying the music, I like a bent sense of humor, I like it loud, I like texture and odd instrumentality, I like pop music that is pushing beyond the bounds of pop music. The following bands have filled this role for me at one time or another:

-The loving Champs
-Jethro Tull
-Pink Floyd
-Mr. Bungle
-Tom Waits
-The Pogues

The Frogs, Nick Cave, Butthole Surfers, Gang Gang Dance.

augustaugustaugust
Apr 4, 2009

Technetium posted:

What a strange request.

Try Can.

Sorry.. I'm not sure what ties all those bands together that has made them speak to me, so it seemed easier to just list them.

Can is probably a good suggestion, as the second-to-last album I bought was Faust / So Far. Thanks.

@KingCobWeb - thanks as well.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Sorry.. I'm not sure what ties all those bands together that has made them speak to me, so it seemed easier to just list them.

Can is probably a good suggestion, as the second-to-last album I bought was Faust / So Far. Thanks.

@KingCobWeb - thanks as well.

That is a great album/compilation and if you like it you should like Can.

Even if you don't like it you should like Can.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I've been listening to hip hop from Detroit recently, mainly off youtube. Fairly recent stuff like J Dilla and Black Milk and such, and I want to get a little smorgasbord of that scene. Anyone know of compilations or a few key albums? Thanks.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I want some metal that's extremely fast/heavy with clean(not growling) vocals, like Strapping Young Lad or Death's last album. I also want some technical death metal, I have all of Death's, Necrophagist's and Decapitated's albums already.

edit: I'm also not a very big fan of death metal, but I strangely like Cryptopsy a lot so any recommendations on that would be nice.

repeating this

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

repeating this

How does Sonata Arctica sound to you, it's extremely fast with clean vocals? Or Into Eternity? Or Kyuss? A lot of Strapping Young Lad has "harsh" vocals and I never listened to Death's last album so I'm shooting in the dark here.

For tech death try Atheist, Cynic, Quo Vadis, Gorguts and Origin.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I've been listening to hip hop from Detroit recently, mainly off youtube. Fairly recent stuff like J Dilla and Black Milk and such, and I want to get a little smorgasbord of that scene. Anyone know of compilations or a few key albums? Thanks.

http://www.michiganhiphop.com is a good source for mixes and new tracks.

You might want to check out the dirty district series of mixtapes, as they showcase a lot of mcs, but all the tracks are produced by young rj and black milk I think. There are a host of talented producers like karrim riggins, nick speed, mr. porter etc.. that are also worth checking out.

I guess as far as the scene that gets exposure nowadays, dilla, proof, and dj house shoes are some of the most important founding figures, but there have been rap releases in detroit at least since 1990 if you feel like listening to random 12"s on youtube or something.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

repeating this

I suppose you'll want to hear Control Denied's only album. It's a Chuck Schuldiner band, basically in the vein of The Sound of Perseverance. I don't consider it "fast and heavy", but I don't think that about The Sound of Perseverance, either.

Along the lines of technical death metal, look into Pavor's album Furioso, as well as the albums Serenadium by Iniquity and The Luster of Pandemonium by Crimson Massacre.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

plogo posted:

http://www.michiganhiphop.com is a good source for mixes and new tracks.

You might want to check out the dirty district series of mixtapes, as they showcase a lot of mcs, but all the tracks are produced by young rj and black milk I think. There are a host of talented producers like karrim riggins, nick speed, mr. porter etc.. that are also worth checking out.

I guess as far as the scene that gets exposure nowadays, dilla, proof, and dj house shoes are some of the most important founding figures, but there have been rap releases in detroit at least since 1990 if you feel like listening to random 12"s on youtube or something.

Thanks man.

fiveohnoes
Feb 3, 2009

I'm looking for a new obsession. I need music that gives me a concept or good lyrics to think about while I'm enjoying the music, I like a bent sense of humor, I like it loud, I like texture and odd instrumentality, I like pop music that is pushing beyond the bounds of pop music.

Bonus Points if you can find me something specifically to replace the JAMs in my life.

I think you just asked for Ween.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Maybe try Boards of Canada?

Boards of Canada is a pretty terrible recommendation. While I haven't heard everything by them, the majority of their stuff is quite sparse and, well, boring (why do people always recommend these guys). The stuff linked is all much heavier and melodic.

Listen to "Aeons", off The Presets' new album The Apocalypso - its exactly what you're looking for - too bad its only one song.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Cyne posted:

Ashra - New Age of Earth
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Jonn Serrie - Lumia Nights (more recent and doesn't sound exactly like the others but I think it fits the mood you want)

Also get a Hearts of Space subscription and listen to some of their old shows - you'll find a LOT of this kind of stuff there.

I liked Oxygene and I know the stuff you linked is obviously of the same genre, but none of it is as heavy, melodic or epic sounding as Cyril Sneer said ^^^

The song that really got me looking for this kind of music was Windir's Journey to the End: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOPkHrW5bA.

It may not be initially obvious, but the intro and outro are both extremely similar to the Michael Garrison stuff I posted. Jump to 3:35 to see what I mean.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Listen to "Aeons", off The Presets' new album The Apocalypso - its exactly what you're looking for - too bad its only one song.

This is pretty cool.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 6, 2009

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

doublepostededed

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

-The loving Champs
-Jethro Tull
-Pink Floyd
-Mr. Bungle
-Tom Waits
-The Pogues

Bonus Points if you can find me something specifically to replace the JAMs in my life.

great list to work with, even if all these artists are so different from one another. i definitely agree that boards of canada is pretty awful recommendation because of it's minimalism and lack of depth. here are my recommendations, by album:
+ brian eno's rock albums: 'here come the warm jets,' 'another green world,' 'taking tiger mountain by strategy,' 'before and after science.'
+ trans am - 'sex change' and 'liberation'
+ slim cessna's auto club - 'cipher' and their live album 'jesus let me down'
+ woven hand - 'ten stones'
+ matmos - 'the rose has teeth in the mouth of a beast'
+ animal collective - 'feels'
+ kaada - 'MECD'
+ secret chiefs 3 - 'First Grand Constitution and Bylaws' and 'Second Grand Constitution and Bylaws: Hurqalya'
+ tomahawk - 'anonymous'

Also, I didn't include Captain Beefheart in this list, because I figured you HAD to listen to them if you dig Tom Waits, Floyd, and Bungle.... but just on the offchance you seriously live under a rock, please listen to his albums "Safe As Milk" and "Trout Mask Replica.' Also, if you haven't heard Faust - 'Faust IV' get that too, it's better than 'So Far' IMO. And the Can recommendation by a previous poster is spot on, almost any album will do by them, but I'll specifically recommend "Ege Bamyasi," "Tago Mago," and "Future Days."

Also, kudos on JAMM/KLF, I've been rocking "The White Room" a whole bunch lately. MU MU, MU MU, MU MU!

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Need some help for my Dad, he wants to modernise his music, but his collection consists of Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, kind of classic late 70s style American rock. He was interested in Nickelback but i quickly shot down that idea, but what else can I offer him? He'd be willing to try something thats good, but I'm finding it hard to think of something thats easy to like. I'll take any suggestions, thanks.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

LuckySevens posted:

Need some help for my Dad, he wants to modernise his music, but his collection consists of Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, kind of classic late 70s style American rock. He was interested in Nickelback but i quickly shot down that idea, but what else can I offer him? He'd be willing to try something thats good, but I'm finding it hard to think of something thats easy to like. I'll take any suggestions, thanks.

Ryan Adams might be a good place to start. Gold or Heartbreaker are both good albums

The Avett Brothers are kinda similar, but I don't really know their catalog very well.

Jason Anderson at times sounds like early Springsteen.

I've found that a lot of the out-of-touch 70's rock fans really like alt-country stuff like Adams.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access

Cane Break posted:

Ryan Adams
To expand on this, also have him check out Dustin Kensrue and possibly Band of Annuals?

Anyway, I've been bumping London Elektricity's Hospital 5 Mix a lot, as well as his Breezeblock set and a couple other Hospital sets. Where should i go from here? I've already got plenty of Hospital material, so I'm looking for something other than all them.

BigEast55
Oct 1, 2006
Im looking for some stuff to "bump" too in my car... some good hip-hop/rap. I really like me some Kanye and the hillarious lyrics of Lil' Wayne and I've been digging Q-Tip lately and certainly like N.E.R.D. as well, anything with a nice beat and some solid lyrics (even if they are awful enough to be hillarious) would be appreciated.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Interested in hearing the source for what bands like The Black Lips pastiche in "Trapped in a Basement" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu40tNnUuEE or what a lot of the music in House of the Dead: Overkill is based on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRuwy10S-Ec&feature=related

Any suggestions you awesome people you?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

BigEast55 posted:

Im looking for some stuff to "bump" too in my car... some good hip-hop/rap. I really like me some Kanye and the hillarious lyrics of Lil' Wayne and I've been digging Q-Tip lately and certainly like N.E.R.D. as well, anything with a nice beat and some solid lyrics (even if they are awful enough to be hillarious) would be appreciated.

Try Blackalicious' The Craft

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BigEast55 posted:

I believe you're looking for Spank Rock. They have a good LP, and one of their songs is titled "shake it til my dick turns racist."

yeah

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Can anyone recommend me some more bands similar to Scissor Sisters and Of Montreal? There is one band that is just slipping my tongue at the moment, I think it's a duo or something, a one word band name.

Thanks!

EDIT - I remembered the name of the band I was thinking about, Fischerspooner.

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 8, 2009

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
I'm in a really huge Boards of Canada phase right now and I'm looking for more stuff like it. I already know of the standards: Black Moth Super Rainbow, Tycho, Plaid, Christ., Four Tet, etc. since I'm pretty big into downtempo and chillout, but is there anything I maybe overlooked?

For reference, some of my favorite songs in this area of music:
Boards of Canada - Constants Are Changing
Tycho - The Daydream
Four Tet - Hands

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Diligent Deadite posted:

Interested in hearing the source for what bands like The Black Lips pastiche in "Trapped in a Basement" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu40tNnUuEE or what a lot of the music in House of the Dead: Overkill is based on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRuwy10S-Ec&feature=related

Any suggestions you awesome people you?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but there are a couple of garage-psych bands that tend towards that dark fuzzed sound. Maybe try The Seeds or Electric Prunes. Not all of their songs are like that (and I swear I'm missing some obvious choices here) but they might work for you.

You might also like The Gris Gris or early Dr. John.

bonnemenagere
Oct 21, 2005

Nos sale a saludar la gente linda..
Lately I've been really jonesing out on lyric-centered, contemporary folk/rock 'ala Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, The Mountain Goats, and The Good Life. I don't usually go for the acoustic-dude-on-guitar bit, but inexplicably as of late I just want some storytelling, simple songs with a stark effect. The ideal point of reference for this is probably The Magnetic Fields - Charm of the Highway Strip. If you haven't heard it, it was Stephen Merrit's attempt at a "country" album and I think its absolutely haunting. I want something without too much of a "full band sound." Any ideas?

Oh and not Ryan Adams.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
Andrew Bird is pretty legit, and while swimming hours and ...eggs are good, where can i get something that sounds like music of hair?

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I've been listening to Drillnbasss/breakcore/drumnbass for a few years now, and I'd like to branch out...

I'll have to be pretty vague but here goes--

I've tried a couple of radiohead albums and they didn't do anything for me. I love the abrasive, fast, aggressive aspect of Nine Inch Nails, but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics (or any lyrics, for that matter).

I guess I'm looking for similar bands that don't go too much into the screaming angry-at-nothing bit. Any ideas?

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

bonnemenagere posted:

Lately I've been really jonesing out on lyric-centered, contemporary folk/rock 'ala Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, The Mountain Goats, and The Good Life. I don't usually go for the acoustic-dude-on-guitar bit, but inexplicably as of late I just want some storytelling, simple songs with a stark effect. The ideal point of reference for this is probably The Magnetic Fields - Charm of the Highway Strip. If you haven't heard it, it was Stephen Merrit's attempt at a "country" album and I think its absolutely haunting. I want something without too much of a "full band sound." Any ideas?

Oh and not Ryan Adams.

You might like Will Oldham. Try Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness, Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Master & Everyone and Palace Brothers - There Is No One What Will Take Care of You.

Jason Molina - Let Me Go Let Me Go Let Me Go is really good too.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Can anyone recommend something similar to Massive Attack? My favorite albums are Protection and Mezzanine.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Virtual Russian posted:

Can anyone recommend something similar to Massive Attack? My favorite albums are Protection and Mezzanine.
Man, I get that some bands are hard to find similar artists for but Massive Attack isn't one of them
http://www.last.fm/music/Massive+Attack
http://www.last.fm/tag/trip-hop

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Without Pants posted:

I've been listening to Drillnbasss/breakcore/drumnbass for a few years now, and I'd like to branch out...

I'll have to be pretty vague but here goes--

I've tried a couple of radiohead albums and they didn't do anything for me. I love the abrasive, fast, aggressive aspect of Nine Inch Nails, but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics (or any lyrics, for that matter).

I guess I'm looking for similar bands that don't go too much into the screaming angry-at-nothing bit. Any ideas?

It might not be intense enough for a breakcore head, but have you tried The Bug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRdyUqNpMcU

Yes I am recommending a song called "angry" to someone not looking for something angry at everything :haw:

Ol Junebug
Jan 27, 2009

Sufferin' succotash
I have found my self turning to the slight solace of Techno. I have had a soft spot in my heart for Daft Punk for years but that was as far as I reached. Lately mixed in with my normal rotation of gangsta rap from the early nineties, Weird Al, and other folk tunes a gentleman named Bass hunter found his way in. Following his invasion he seems to have sneaked in some strange shniz by Junior/Senior.

So I am at a loss to keep following this techno path of destruction. Honestly I don't even know the difference between techno, house, electronica or what have you. I likes it when its a bit on the fast side, semblance of lyrics are optional.

Edit: lost and loss are not the same word

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

It might not be intense enough for a breakcore head, but have you tried The Bug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRdyUqNpMcU

Yes I am recommending a song called "angry" to someone not looking for something angry at everything :haw:

The Bug's first album Pressure is totally teetering on breakcore, IMO. This is a good suggestion!

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Gahazakul posted:

I have found my self turning to the slight solace of Techno. I have had a soft spot in my heart for Daft Punk for years but that was as far as I reached. Lately mixed in with my normal rotation of gangsta rap from the early nineties, Weird Al, and other folk tunes a gentleman named Bass hunter found his way in. Following his invasion he seems to have sneaked in some strange shniz by Junior/Senior.

So I am at a loss to keep following this techno path of destruction. Honestly I don't even know the difference between techno, house, electronica or what have you. I likes it when its a bit on the fast side, semblance of lyrics are optional.

Read this, it's a pretty good intro to the main different types of electronic music and also has samples of a bunch of different styles
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
for starters, daft punk is in the 'french house' section, junior senior would be some kind of europop or house pop probably, and i don't even really know what basshunter is, besides terrible (maybe hard trance?) so check out those parts of the house and trance maps

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 9, 2009

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Its eurodance.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Farts Domino posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but there are a couple of garage-psych bands that tend towards that dark fuzzed sound. Maybe try The Seeds or Electric Prunes. Not all of their songs are like that (and I swear I'm missing some obvious choices here) but they might work for you.

You might also like The Gris Gris or early Dr. John.

I didn't explain myself very well, but yeah, The Garage-psych thing's about right. I've been enjoying The Monks album I picked up the other day too, if that's any help.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm looking for music similar to madlib beat cds (Mind Fusion, etc). I have a lot from stones throw catalog in addition to flying lotus, but is there anyone out there just making sick beats devoid of human voice?

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Gahazakul posted:

Just to toss some good starting acts out there from a wide range of electronic music genres: Justice, Deadmau5, Röyksopp, Danny Byrd, Pendulum, Hixxy, Plaid

Take your pick. Those should be pretty easily accessible, so just find out which sounds best to you and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

incoherent posted:

I'm looking for music similar to madlib beat cds (Mind Fusion, etc). I have a lot from stones throw catalog in addition to flying lotus, but is there anyone out there just making sick beats devoid of human voice?

Check out anything from Ninja Tune Records. DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Amon Tobin, Blockhead, and Prefuse 73 are what I'd start with.