Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bring It On, DEA
May 15, 2006

Modern art
Can anyone help me find similar bands to Tulus and Loits? That black metal kind of rock n rollish sound?

Tulus - http://www.myspace.com/tulusofficial
Loits - http://www.myspace.com/loits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Bring It On, DEA posted:

Can anyone help me find similar bands to Tulus and Loits? That black metal kind of rock n rollish sound?

Tulus - http://www.myspace.com/tulusofficial
Loits - http://www.myspace.com/loits

Try Megiddo (Canada).

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Woah.

Skagos - Ást

This is pretty low-key right now, but rest assured it's going to blow up once it gets a Wolves-esque pitchfork review. And it will.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
The Stone have a track from their new album Umro up on their myspace and it sounds very good.

Serbia has quite a few decent black metal bands.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I got tipped off to a pretty good band put together by Iscariah and Kvitrafn, Dead To This World. I guess they're not really new but it looks like their only album came out late last year. I sure hadn't heard of them and I don't remember seeing them mentioned here yet.

This is blackrock how it should be done. Satyricon take note.

http://www.myspace.com/deadtothisworld

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

I got tipped off to a pretty good band put together by Iscariah and Kvitrafn, Dead To This World. I guess they're not really new but it looks like their only album came out late last year. I sure hadn't heard of them and I don't remember seeing them mentioned here yet.

Came to hear Kvitrafn, stayed for the brutality. Sorry Fear my robot head.

Good poo poo! Looks like Kvitrafn left just as the Warduna disc came out, last November(?)

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

Came to hear Kvitrafn, stayed for the brutality. Sorry Fear my robot head.

Good poo poo! Looks like Kvitrafn left just as the Warduna disc came out, last November(?)

Yeah from what I read about the wardruna record, it needed all his time. Learning to play fire must be taxing. :black101:

His drumming is loving solid as always though.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Under That Spell have a silly name, endearingly broken english and an ex-Helrunar member. They've only got one song up, but they'll have a cd out by the end of the year, and you should look into them if you like German black metal (which you should)

It..s on you to be anxious to see !!!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Vaguely related to the topic: this past weekend Steingrim Torson of the Norwegian bands Selvhat, Kaosritual, and Celestial Bloodshed was killed from a shotgun blast courtesy of his best friend. Also, two churches/cemeteries around Oslo have been desecrated by some guy wearing a "The Satanic Army" shirt, who according to the sensationalist media has "ties to the satanic milieu in Oslo".
Seems like we're suddenly back in 1992 now.

Apologies for the Norwegian news-stories, but these things tend not to make international news.

edit: The story is now on Blabbermouth.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 5, 2009

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

well it's about drat time BM lived up to the image again. too bad they couldn't have done something different but that's what happens these days, no originality.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
Have you guys heard the latest from Finland ?
The Black Satans - The Mutilation Of Christ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQM5G5y7ik :roflolmao:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rotacixe posted:

The Black Satans - The Mutilation Of Christ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQM5G5y7ik :roflolmao:

Wow. Hilarious. 5.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rotacixe posted:

wow great someone else pointing out how bad the video for call of the wintermoon was

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
The drummer was pretty funny.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Making fun of black metal might be passe' at this point but the singer constantly smiling was funny as hell.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I thought I posted this a while ago... the track 1942 is the best I've heard so far.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

catbread.jpg posted:

Woah.

Skagos - Ást

This is pretty low-key right now, but rest assured it's going to blow up once it gets a Wolves-esque pitchfork review. And it will.

So has anybody else heard this yet? Two weeks later and it's still kicking my rear end.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

catbread.jpg posted:

So has anybody else heard this yet? Two weeks later and it's still kicking my rear end.

Yeah, I checked it out, on your recommendation I believe. Me like.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I've only listened through it once but there were definitely elements to like. Will require more listening to get familiar with it though.

edit: I do like it. I have some issues with the production (vocals way too far in the front and there not being enough oomph in the guitars) but my biggest problem is the bit in The Drums Pound Every Night in a Glorious Celebration of Life where the melodic riff sounds like a sports newscast jingle. The copious use of "loving" isn't really conducive to an intellectual vibe, though, and for some reason I thought that's what they were trying to achieve. Doesn't seem well thought-out.

Also:

What the gently caress, Shining. Niklas "Kvarforth" Olsson seems like the biggest cunting piece of poo poo on the planet. Attention whoring self-mutilating dick who clearly only does it to get 15 year-old girls to fawn over him and cut themselves while masturbating in their rooms thinking their lives suck. I'm actually really glad I didn't pay to go see them play tonight. Some of my friends did go, though. I met up with them afterwards and the amount of girls in Shining t-shirts with massive cutting scars up and down their arms was just saddening to witness.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 12, 2009

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
I know a girl who listened to a shitload of Shining, and threw herself under a train.

Now she has no legs and one arm. I love the music though.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden

catbread.jpg posted:

I know a girl who listened to a shitload of Shining, and threw herself under a train.

Now she has no legs and one arm. I love the music though.

cool story bro.

shining is gay suicidal poo poo.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
I couldn't give a drat what it's about, I like the music.

I must say, I'm very impressed with the vocal delivery on Ást. And the production in general. It's a very warm, open sound, to use a disingenuous term or two.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
I too would throw myself under a train if I listened to Shining.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Kaiho posted:

Also:

What the gently caress, Shining. Niklas "Kvarforth" Olsson seems like the biggest cunting piece of poo poo on the planet. Attention whoring self-mutilating dick who clearly only does it to get 15 year-old girls to fawn over him and cut themselves while masturbating in their rooms thinking their lives suck. I'm actually really glad I didn't pay to go see them play tonight. Some of my friends did go, though. I met up with them afterwards and the amount of girls in Shining t-shirts with massive cutting scars up and down their arms was just saddening to witness.

You dunno what you missed dude, that gig was loving sweet as hell.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Caucasus Belli posted:

You dunno what you missed dude, that gig was loving sweet as hell.

I agree, was awesome. On-stage vomiting.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Whats up with the Shining hate. Shining live is always cool with Kvarforth doing all kinds of stupid stuff. And most of their music owns.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mordekai posted:

Whats up with the Shining hate. Shining live is always cool with Kvarforth doing all kinds of stupid stuff. And most of their music owns.

I'd never heard of these guys before this all started here so I took a listen to their myspace tracks. The hate is justified. There's almost no black metal to be heard and what IS heard is a mix of pop metal and crying.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
They're not really black metal anymore these days, and when they go for samples of girls crying things tend to get a bit overboard, but more often than not I enjoy em. V was an excellent all around album. I don't think there's a bad track on it. Neka Morgondagen is epic and awesome.

Protip: The guitarist for their third album still posts on an obscure half life mod forum I frequent now and then.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

attackmole posted:

They're not really black metal anymore these days, and when they go for samples of girls crying things tend to get a bit overboard, but more often than not I enjoy em. V was an excellent all around album. I don't think there's a bad track on it. Neka Morgondagen is epic and awesome.

I have to agree. Black metal or not, that album had the most tasteful drumming and guitar leads I've heard in a very, very long time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow, I didn't know that Kvarforth was in Den Saakaldte too. They're actually good! And has members of 1349 and Dødheimsgard as well. I'll be damned.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
In my opinion, Halmstad was the best album of 2007, closely followed by Primordial. It's also the only album to date I've given a perfect 10/10 score in my soon two years (115 reviews) of writing for the Metal-Observer. Yes, Kvarforth is a humongous douchebag (he also used to scam people on merch-sale), but to dismiss him as a bad musician is preposterous. Also, keep in mind that he was fourteen years old when Submit To Self-Destruction was released, which is impressive to say the least, considering he played everything except drums on it. Besides, who cares if it's not "true" black metal anymore, nobody's bad-mouthing Enslaved for severing most ties with their roots.
However, I'm not too enthusiastic about him doing the vocals for Bethlehem's re-recording of S.U.I.Z.I.D., since the vocals on the original are a lot more deranged than anything Niklas has ever been able to churn out. Why would they even want to re-record such a classic anyways, it's fine as it is goddamnit! :(

Note: I've seen Kvarforth live with Shining, Den Saakaldte, Skitliv, and as a guest performer for Koldbrann. He does stupid poo poo, but the man knows how to put on an entertaining show.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 12, 2009

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

ElectricWizard posted:

Besides, who cares if it's not "true" black metal anymore, nobody's bad-mouthing Enslaved for severing most ties with their roots.
Because Enslaved wasn't really that great to start with. Eld was Ok and Below the Lights I did like, but I haven't heard anything else I'd want to listen to twice, including Vertibrae.

ElectricWizard posted:

Note: I've seen Kvarforth live with Shining, Den Saakaldte, Skitliv, and as a guest performer for Koldbrann. He does stupid poo poo, but the man knows how to put on an entertaining show.

Koldbrann just lost their rhythm guitarist and drummer. I hope Kvarforth doesn't join full time and inject what I just heard into that band.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Morbid Florist posted:

I'd never heard of these guys before this all started here so I took a listen to their myspace tracks. The hate is justified. There's almost no black metal to be heard and what IS heard is a mix of pop metal and crying.

They played BM up until their fourth album. But V - Halmstad is even better thatn those

ElectricWizard posted:

I made out with Kvarforth (which had a razorblade in his mouth) on stage during a show in Oslo :gay:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Morbid Florist posted:

Because Enslaved wasn't really that great to start with.

Now that's just flat-out wrong.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mordekai posted:

I made out with Kvarforth (which had a razorblade in his mouth) on stage during a show in Oslo :gay:

so is he gay or is he just trolling for attention?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Kaiho posted:

Knowing Kvarforth, I'd say a little from column A, little from column B. Shining is some interesting stuff to listen to, but it's really hard to get past the egotism of the frontman, especially with the whole Ghoul stunt.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Kaiho posted:

He has a girlfriend (some chick he got pregnant, apparently), and I know a female friend of mine was messing around with him at some festival. He's been known to make out with Maniac (ex-Mayhem, Skitliv) onstage, but Maniac is also loving one of the chicks in Gallhammer. Attention whores, but not homosexuals. There are usually a lot of drugs involved in those live performances, as anyone who has seen Shining will be able to attest to.

Interestingly, Gaahl has never been known to make out with anyone during his performances. True fact.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

ElectricWizard posted:

Interestingly, Gaahl has never been known to make out with anyone during his performances. True fact.

All the videos I've seen of him play it looks like he doesn't do loving anything, he just stands completely still and looks "spooky" and occasionally makes "spooky" hand gestures.

Edit: So I've never really cared too much about Shining to look up Kvarforth's stage antics before. Sounds like kind of a dick. The whole "Ghoul" thing is one of the biggest attention grabs I've ever heard of, which is pretty loving impressive considering BM is sort of built on doing poo poo for attention.

WatermelonGun fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 13, 2009

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

All the videos I've seen of him play it looks like he doesn't do loving anything, he just stands completely still and looks "spooky" and occasionally makes "spooky" hand gestures.

:gay:

spooky as poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Checked out Dead to this World, and promptly bought their album off iTunes for $7.99. loving fantastic this is, thanks for the recommend Morbid. I need to find some more bands that sound like this.

So, at the risk of being ridiculed, I must admit I'm looking forward to seeing Krallice and WITTR at the first of June. I couldn't resist going, especially since I live in the backwoods of Arkansas, and the chances of seeing other bands like that coming here is slim at best. Perhaps I'll get a Wolf Shirt to wear in a dorm room somewhere, despite the fact I left college a decade or more ago.