Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I live above a guy with a nice sub. He is a dickbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Who the hell are you to judge me!?
Here is my current situation.

The room:

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Don't mind the dragon he's just protecting my stuff:

Click here for the full 533x800 image.

TV:

Speakers I got from my aunts old house (aptimus brand! lol):

Click here for the full 533x800 image.

altogether now:

and the garage:

Dish network receiver
Sylvania sams club special 1080i tv
JVC HR-J643U VCR
JVC XL-FZ258 Five CD Changer
JVC RX-558U Receiver
XBOX 360
NES
SNES
A crappy center channel
Those weird optimus speakers.

I built the book case myself and its going to go on the wall where the exercise bike is now and I will be building a new unit for just the TV.

I don't have a remote to work it all, but I wish I did.

In the Garage:
Fisher MC-725 Receiver / Turntable
Bose 201 Series IV speakers.

Edit: We just moved in not long ago so I haven't had the chance to paint. Also need to put up crown molding.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Phillyt posted:

You are right. It is not a very good sub. I am just an undergraduate so it is satisfying for me. It's a Logitech Z-5500 sub. I still listen to my music pretty loudly if that means anything.

From my experience the logitech z5500 plays such high frequencies (which is what makes it sound terrible) that it actually transmits sound a lot more than my HSU VTF2 MKIII playing a super bass heavy scene. The crossover on the logitech is something like 150hz, so that means its playing A LOT of the time... it also doesnt have any spikes or something to decouple it from the floor, it just kind of sits on it. Basically ive done listening tests and the logitech is waaay more annoying than my HSU was for anyone below you. Kind of interesting they havent complained yet.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
My sub arrived the other day...

It rocks. Anyone looking for a subwoofer should consider an Epik, assuming you don't have a strict size limit. :)

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Battlegoat posted:

It rocks. Anyone looking for a subwoofer should consider an Epik, assuming you don't have a strict size limit. :)

Well, well, someone actually has a box sub bigger than my enormous ED.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Battlegoat posted:

that thing is bigger than my entire entertainment center

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.

Battlegoat posted:

That is like a midget dinning room table right there!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Battlegoat posted:

That's enormous.
It makes the little Sony 15-incher I purchased look... like a Sony :downs:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Battlegoat posted:

How much was shipping?

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bink posted:

How much was shipping?
$86.91. Not too bad for getting something that weighs 120lbs halfway across the US. It was enough work for me just getting it down the basement steps!

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Battlegoat posted:

$86.91. Not too bad for getting something that weighs 120lbs halfway across the US. It was enough work for me just getting it down the basement steps!

Man I am dreading moving the Trinity when it comes.

http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/products.aspx?path=Subwoofers&productid=SuperCube%20Trinity

Weight | Metric :185 lbs | 83.9 kg

Thankfully no steps though.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My ED A5-300 is 108lb and I think I managed to get free shipping when I bought it since it was a brand new line for them.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

routenull0 posted:

Man I am dreading moving the Trinity when it comes.

http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/products.aspx?path=Subwoofers&productid=SuperCube%20Trinity

Weight | Metric :185 lbs | 83.9 kg

Thankfully no steps though.
Hell yes. I love big subs. :hfive:

slaphappynickname posted:

My ED A5-300 is 108lb and I think I managed to get free shipping when I bought it since it was a brand new line for them.
Yeah, that's one of the nice things about ED - I think they have free shipping on all their subs. They make some bad-rear end subs too. If I ever win the lottery, I'm picking up one of these.

Battlegoat fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 30, 2009

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Battlegoat posted:

Hell yes. I love big subs. :hfive:

Yeah the Trinity is a little over 2x the size of my current Velodyne DLS-5000R (15" Sub)

Click here for the full 640x426 image.

Obiviously I am buying for a future media room in the new house, but I'll have no issue rocking the Trinity next to the couch and aggervating the wife.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Finally got some shelving into my rack.

And my new Rega P3-24 arrived a few days ago, so I'm giving that a workout too.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

With the perfect little nook above the fireplace (I don't use it) and the opposite wall blank white and perpendicular, I knew I'd probably never have an apartment more perfect for a projector setup.

The speakers are Energy C-5, I love em, think they're discontinued now though.

Mitsubishi HC4900 (beautiful, black performance is the only real weak point)
NAD C320BEE (with an HDMI auto switch dealie on top)
Completely lovely LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player that has shat itself on 2 different Blu-Ray titles (Sunshine and The Bourne Supremacy, both times with multiple discs tried). It's also incredibly slow, I only got it because I already had Planet Earth on HD-DVD and my 360 HD-DVD died completely (well out of warranty).
Music Hall MMF 2.2 and the little red guy is a tube phono preamp, sounds fantastic

I actually don't even use this screen and was just taking these pictures in order to sell it. The screen was pretty cheap (for a 100") so you can barely tell the difference from just the bare wall (I stupidly bought the screen before moving in), and using the wall it can throw a roughly 120" image.

Watching Planet Earth on a 120" screen is the reason Jesus gave us 1080P. You can just barely see the not-full-height wall from the 1st picture off to the right to give some scale.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Dogcow posted:

With the perfect little nook above the fireplace (I don't use it) and the opposite wall blank white and perpendicular, I knew I'd probably never have an apartment more perfect for a projector setup.

The speakers are Energy C-5, I love em, think they're discontinued now though.

Mitsubishi HC4900 (beautiful, black performance is the only real weak point)
NAD C320BEE (with an HDMI auto switch dealie on top)
Completely lovely LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player that has shat itself on 2 different Blu-Ray titles (Sunshine and The Bourne Supremacy, both times with multiple discs tried). It's also incredibly slow, I only got it because I already had Planet Earth on HD-DVD and my 360 HD-DVD died completely (well out of warranty).
Music Hall MMF 2.2 and the little red guy is a tube phono preamp, sounds fantastic

I actually don't even use this screen and was just taking these pictures in order to sell it. The screen was pretty cheap (for a 100") so you can barely tell the difference from just the bare wall (I stupidly bought the screen before moving in), and using the wall it can throw a roughly 120" image.

Watching Planet Earth on a 120" screen is the reason Jesus gave us 1080P. You can just barely see the not-full-height wall from the 1st picture off to the right to give some scale.

That's a nice little setup. Your seating seems a bit close for a 120" screen, though. I am running a 135" now and with my chairs at about 12' it seems a bit close to me. They recommend 14' at the closest for the 135" screen.

It is all subjective though so it comes down to what looks good to you. I am running your projector's little brother...the HC1500. When I got the 1500, it was $749 and the 4900 was $1500. I had a hard decision but haven't regretted it since 99% of the stuff I view isn't available on blu-ray yet.

My next projector will be 1080p and who knows, at that time I may have to try to find a low hour 4900.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
A while ago I read through the entire thread and have been up to date reading the new posts every once and a while, but now I'm going to be buying some furniture and I remember seeing a few cool things but have no idea where they are in the thread. Has anyone bookmarked or compiled a list of links of any furniture items as they looked through the thread? I remember seeing a cool coffee table that was a knock off of a very famous design. I think it was Japanese.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
Dogcow, that's a nice looking setup you've got, but your C-5's feet are on backwards. You may not care, or maybe it was on purpose. I used to own some C-9s. Great sounds for movies.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Pibborando San posted:

Dogcow, that's a nice looking setup you've got, but your C-5's feet are on backwards. You may not care, or maybe it was on purpose. I used to own some C-9s. Great sounds for movies.

Hah, nice, they are indeed, but they keep them upright and quite stable so no don't care :)

Scrapez posted:

That's a nice little setup. Your seating seems a bit close for a 120" screen, though. I am running a 135" now and with my chairs at about 12' it seems a bit close to me. They recommend 14' at the closest for the 135" screen.

It is all subjective though so it comes down to what looks good to you.

I actually did it first just to see how big of an image I could get thinking it would probably be stupidly huge and headache-inducing. It is stupidly huge but not headache inducing and actually pretty awesome. It's just on the edge of too big for the distance from the couch. I will say however I think 1080p is pretty much pointless under a certain size (maybe 60" at a reasonable viewing distance), whereas this large it does make a real (visible) difference, especially in nature films and action movies. Dark Knight was fantastic, especially because I'm all of 8 or 10 blocks west of half the filming locations in the loop :D

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Dogcow, thats pretty much what i want for my next living room.
The first thing i'm doing when I move out of this place is getting a projector setup - I dont even have a tv at the moment, the other guy here does so we just use that.

Here's the audio setup... as pathetic as it is, it does the job.

Things to get:
Speaker stands (yeah I know...)
Herman miller aeron chair.

Both being done next paycheck :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 9, 2009

Dinty Moore
Apr 26, 2007

Sony KDL-46XBR8 (wall mounted)
TiVo Series3 HD DMR (with two S-Cards, using Knology digital cable + OTA)
Onkyo TX-SR674
XBox 360 (non-HDMI; considering upgrading to new HDMI unit with 60 GB HD)
Panasonic DMP-BD35K
PlayStation 2 (hasn't been turned on in probably a year)
JBL SCS180.6 speaker system
Airport Express + optical audio cable
APC Back-UPS ES 750 (for TiVo)
WD My Book Home Edition 500 GB (for TiVo)
Netgear Ethernet switch
Logitech Harmony 880 remote

Eventually, when I move into a house, I think I'd like to replace the speakers with something better, maybe some good Klipsch stuff or something. Looks like some here favor B&W, JBL, Velodyne, Paradigm and others; I'll have to look around. For now, the JBLs are okay by me. I just recently acquired the XBR8; I got a really good deal at a local place, and found myself unable to say no, as I'd been lusting after an LED-backlit set for awhile. It looks so good, it's kind of sick.

And yes, the cabling has been cleaned up since this was taken. Nothing some zip ties can't help, right?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

demonbleh posted:

Poor kid. Picture less important than the TV in front of it.

Dinty Moore
Apr 26, 2007

falz posted:

Poor kid. Picture less important than the TV in front of it.

Yeah, I probably need to move that. :) But I just got the TV 2 weeks ago, give a man some time...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Not to be rude but that setup is ghetto as hell with the huge tv and tiny tv stand and cables everywhere

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why did you wall mount it? Having the equipment right below if looks awful

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Been a while since I last posted, so...

Front view: you can see I'm sort of obsessed with symmetry. Vizio 42" 1080p TV that now costs 1/2 what I paid for it 1.5 years ago, Radiient tower speakers and center channel (great speakers for what I paid), H-K AVR-146, Zune 80GB w/ dock and remote, PS3, Wii, etc. I'm planning to paint the tower speakers black, since the vinyl finish doesn't match anything I own. I already did this with the center channel.

View over right shoulder (if you were really tall): H-100 sub at the bottom and Insignia surround, with a matching one on the opposite side. These speakers nearly match the front / center speakers. Not pictured: incredibly large and awkward to store rock band drums. Barely visible: Dreamcast and PS2.

Any organization / easy upgrade suggestions are welcome.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

cubicle gangster posted:

Dogcow, thats pretty much what i want for my next living room.
The first thing i'm doing when I move out of this place is getting a projector setup - I dont even have a tv at the moment, the other guy here does so we just use that.

Here's the audio setup... as pathetic as it is, it does the job.

Things to get:
Speaker stands (yeah I know...)
Herman miller aeron chair.

Both being done next paycheck :)

It may not be much, but props on the xone:3d!

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
drat Listen Up had a clearance sale on some Rotel stuff. Picked up an RLC-1040 conditioner, (same as the APC, but with Rotel styling,) and an RDV-1045 that I'm just using as a transport. More convenient than using the PS3 for just a quick audio CD. Also built a Sanus rack. Found out that if you buy a a bunch of the small 5" pieces, and some threaded rod from Home Depot, you can piece the small pieces together and get pretty much create any shelf height you want.

And before someone mentions it, the Sub isn't sitting on that shelf. I'm spiking the sub THROUGH the shelf with 4 holes drilled into it. That way I could have it still there but have it isolated from the rack.

And I got rid of that DLP. Much happier now. Still trying to get a hold of an RMB-1085 to drive the rear channels. That'll take up the last space with the processor.

After a long weekend and many monoprice orders later...

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
Sweet setup, Acc-Risk. I stole the idea for that TV stand from you.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Battlegoat posted:

Sweet setup, Acc-Risk. I stole the idea for that TV stand from you.

Me too apparently! Acc-Risk's setup looks likewhat I should shoot for eventually, though.

lovely iphone pics. It's amazing that I've lived here for two years and still haven't decorated. I need something on these walls. The apartment is comfy as hell, but it feels so :smith:

I'm not enthused with the Samsung 50" DLP, (mainly because of the DLP-ness of it, not as sharp as I would hope) but it certainly does the job. The speakers are overpriced Best Buy, non-reference Klipschs, but do a decent enough job. The setup is certainly not bad, but it's not top-of-the-line either. Pretty happy with it regardless. The only thing missing is a media box with HDMI out.

Also the cat is awesome.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

glompix fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 13, 2009

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I would give both nuts to have the room that you guys do. Living in an apartment is just killing me.

I know I know... Interest rates are falling...

Edit: My cats would love that catcave

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Acc-Risk posted:

I would give both nuts to have the room that you guys do. Living in an apartment is just killing me.

I know I know... Interest rates are falling...

Edit: My cats would love that catcave

The cat cave is from IKEA. My apartment is really nice but it's so drab not painting and sharing walls/ceilings is a loving nuisance at best. Right there with ya.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Acc-Risk posted:

drat Listen Up had a clearance sale on some Rotel stuff. Picked up an RLC-1040 conditioner, (same as the APC, but with Rotel styling,) and an RDV-1045 that I'm just using as a transport. More convenient than using the PS3 for just a quick audio CD. Also built a Sanus rack. Found out that if you buy a a bunch of the small 5" pieces, and some threaded rod from Home Depot, you can piece the small pieces together and get pretty much create any shelf height you want.

And before someone mentions it, the Sub isn't sitting on that shelf. I'm spiking the sub THROUGH the shelf with 4 holes drilled into it. That way I could have it still there but have it isolated from the rack.

And I got rid of that DLP. Much happier now. Still trying to get a hold of an RMB-1085 to drive the rear channels. That'll take up the last space with the processor.

4 jeff rowland m201s?? arent those things like $4000 a piece... one of those costs more than pretty much my whole audio system. did you get a deal?

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Omegaslast posted:

4 jeff rowland m201s?? arent those things like $4000 a piece... one of those costs more than pretty much my whole audio system. did you get a deal?

I do all of his IT work so that paid for part of it. I originally started out with 3, then lost the amp on the sub. So I converted it to passive and he made me a deal on the 4th. The Velodyne people were being lovely about the amp and the warranty time so I haven't even sent it in for repair yet.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Acc-Risk posted:

Beautiful equipment.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
THE CABLE APOCALYPSE!!!!

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Yes I know my cables are just about the equivalent to the Antichrist of Home Theater Cable Management. I moved into this apartment 2 weeks ago and I just got this TV today so my next task on this long weekend is to clean up these horrendous cables. I plan to post after pictures.

Pictured:
Samsung LN52A750 - 52" LCD....loving amazing!!!! Got it at Best Buy as the display model. $2200 down to $1750.
Comcast DVR
Sony 5 Disc DVD Changer
PS3
Xbox 360
Linksys Router
Comcast Modem
Sony Home Theater in a Box that I bought about 7 years ago. Next in line for my upgrades but I'll do that as soon as I'm out of this apartment.
GT3 Controller

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Acc-Risk posted:

I do all of his IT work so that paid for part of it. I originally started out with 3, then lost the amp on the sub. So I converted it to passive and he made me a deal on the 4th. The Velodyne people were being lovely about the amp and the warranty time so I haven't even sent it in for repair yet.

drat you do THE jeff rowlands IT work... although if i were you i would sell two of those amps and buy 804Ds.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Omegaslast posted:

drat you do THE jeff rowlands IT work... although if i were you i would sell two of those amps and buy 804Ds.

It's a funny story... But my girlfriend of 4 years is Sylvia Rowland. Maybe someday he'll be my father in law.

I probably won't do 803s until I move out of here. My ultimate plan is to move the 805Ss to the rear and go with 803Ds in the front. Space doesn't allow that right now. I think for the time being, I want to replace the TV stand and replace the HTM61 with an HTM4S. I can't really hang the LCD here so I'll have to find a way to make the Sansus TV stand work without the center pillar. I still don't have any rear channels but could really care less. I listen to music more than watch movies anyway. Apartment living does not mix well with this hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grap3fruitman
Jun 30, 2005

There's a few things I regret; going with that dark of a paint color, forgetting to run CAT5E everywhere I needed it, not thinking to run something other than speaker wire to the back of the room (say like HDMI or something) and not putting in a projector. Oh well.