Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

mike12345 posted:

I know, I know. Do you think it's worth buying that O'Reilly book on regexp or should I just google and print out stuff I find on the web?
Personally I wouldn't bother with the book, there's loads of good info on the web. (And why print it out?)

RegEx comes in many (very similar) flavours, so I'd suggest you pick a variant and stick to it until you know the ropes, later it will be easy to use your skills in sed / grep / vim / php / perl / whatever.

You mentioned python, which happens to have regular expressions that are comparatively easy to read because they don't use quite the shitload of backslashes that other flavours do. If you've used python before, that's probably a good place to start. Google 'python re tutorial' and you should find a ton of good resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

mike12345 posted:

I know, I know. Do you think it's worth buying that O'Reilly book on regexp or should I just google and print out stuff I find on the web?

Personally, I found that O'Reilly's "sed and awk" was very, very helpful in learning regular expressions. There's likely tons of stuff on the web that you can get for free, but for me, the book was well worth the money, if only to have a quick reference on my desk for when I needed it.

Edit: Not trying to pick a fight with Lucien or anything, just my two cents.

Rabbi Dan
Oct 26, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY CREEPY FACEBOOK APP FOR STALKING GIRLS I DON'T KNOW
Hi,

I basically have no Linux experience and am starting from ground zero. I'm trying to learn how to use Asterisk and I've installed AsteriskNOW (http://www.asterisknow.org/), which is what I believe to be a Linux distribution (CentOS) that has Asterisk pre-configured, on an old desktop machine. The installation process was very user-friendly with a GUI/Windows-y experience where I used my mouse to click next through a few screens but now that it is installed all I am getting is a command line interface when I boot it up.

CentOS is installed on the computers at the computer lab at my school and it has a full graphical environment with "windows" / web browser / text editor / etc...shouldn't this CentOS distribution have that as well? I know on the AsteriskNOW website it says it comes with the Asterisk GUI package and has screen shots so there is definitely something I'm not doing right here.

I did some googling and somewhere it said I should try the command "startx" but that isn't recognized.

If anyone can help me out and tell me what I need to do to get the user-friendly graphical version of CentOS running on this thing (from the AsteriskNOW CD that I made), I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Seems like you installed a minimal version of CentOS, without X.

Look around the AsteriskNOW website to check that you didn't use some minimalistic version of the CD. Maybe you'd had better luck installing regular CentOS and installing Asterisk by hand?

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

reborn posted:

Quick question:

I'm looking for a services and security tracking software. Something that could integrate things like SNORT, nmap scans, and the like.

Basically I've used Solarwind's Orion/ipMonitor and PRTG's network grapher in the past and I'd like to implement something that I could throw on a linux server. I'd prefer something with a web gui front end as it makes managing alerts much easier.

If it supports syslogs and snmp that'd be even better!

For reference I've been looking into OSSIM but I'd like something to compare it to and hear a second opinion.

Anyone?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

reborn posted:

Anyone?

nagios maybe? It's not really clear what you're looking for.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Can anyone tell me a good program for Ubuntu where I can sync my Ipod to my music collection and manage podcasts? Banshee was almost the one but it loving crashes when I sync my Ipod, 22% when automatically syncing, drat near 60% when manually syncing.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Parlett316 posted:

Can anyone tell me a good program for Ubuntu where I can sync my Ipod to my music collection and manage podcasts? Banshee was almost the one but it loving crashes when I sync my Ipod, 22% when automatically syncing, drat near 60% when manually syncing.

Gtkpod, amarok?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

falz posted:

Gtkpod, amarok?

Neither one of them downloaded my podcasts correctly and I found Amarok to be horrid on it's layout. Banshee had everything except syncing my Ipod.

Now i'm installing a VM of XP to manage my Ipod, looks like I'll never truly be free!

Edit: Something I forgot to note, I manually synced one album to the Ipod, everything looked golden and I ejected it. When I tried to navigate to those songs my Ipod displayed No Artists but when I mounted back into Ubuntu it showed that it had that album.

Parlett316 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 13, 2009

Rabbi Dan
Oct 26, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY CREEPY FACEBOOK APP FOR STALKING GIRLS I DON'T KNOW

Zom Aur posted:

Seems like you installed a minimal version of CentOS, without X.

Look around the AsteriskNOW website to check that you didn't use some minimalistic version of the CD. Maybe you'd had better luck installing regular CentOS and installing Asterisk by hand?

I downloaded the 32-bit ISO here: http://www.asterisknow.org/downloads

Is it possible that there is a different command to enable the graphical environment?

If there isn't a GUI on my distro, instead of installing regular CentOS and adding Asterisk, is there any way to download/add the GUI to it?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Rabbi Dan posted:

I downloaded the 32-bit ISO here: http://www.asterisknow.org/downloads

Is it possible that there is a different command to enable the graphical environment?

If there isn't a GUI on my distro, instead of installing regular CentOS and adding Asterisk, is there any way to download/add the GUI to it?
Well, should be the same commands really. Could be startkde too, I guess, but startx should be there.

According to the CentOS FAQ, this might be relevant:
http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=50

However, according to the quickstart guide on asteriskNOW, it uses conary. I haven't used that one, but you should be able to install gnome or kde with that. I still think it'd be easier by installing CentOS by itself but you do as you please. :)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Parlett316 posted:

Neither one of them downloaded my podcasts correctly and I found Amarok to be horrid on it's layout. Banshee had everything except syncing my Ipod.

Now i'm installing a VM of XP to manage my Ipod, looks like I'll never truly be free!

Edit: Something I forgot to note, I manually synced one album to the Ipod, everything looked golden and I ejected it. When I tried to navigate to those songs my Ipod displayed No Artists but when I mounted back into Ubuntu it showed that it had that album.

I personally like Exaile!. You may have to go into plugins and verify the ipod plugin. I've used it with my ipod and it works well for me. I've added my whole library w/o incident. One thing I've noticed is sometimes it'll look done, but it will be transferring in the background.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Parlett316 posted:

i'm not totally sure on podcasts but i do know that quod libet does work with ipods.

eighty8
Jan 24, 2007
Does any one have a recommendation for drive erasure software for linux, though it will be wiping mostly old windows drives. I need it to export a log file after its complete,and obviously it needs to do the actual erasure part in the best possible fashion as well.

I want to use this software on one computer running multiple hard drives that are plugged in via USB so that as soon as one is done I can save the logfile, and hot swap a new drive onto the system and start wiping that one. Therefore, another requirement would be the software plays well with other instances of itself.

Any thoughts?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eighty8 posted:

Does any one have a recommendation for drive erasure software for linux, though it will be wiping mostly old windows drives. I need it to export a log file after its complete,and obviously it needs to do the actual erasure part in the best possible fashion as well.

I want to use this software on one computer running multiple hard drives that are plugged in via USB so that as soon as one is done I can save the logfile, and hot swap a new drive onto the system and start wiping that one. Therefore, another requirement would be the software plays well with other instances of itself.

Any thoughts?

That's an awfully specific piece of software you're looking for. Fortunately, it doesn't sound terribly difficult to create. Your best bet is shell scripting in this case, or hire someone to write it for you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

eighty8 posted:

Any thoughts?

Hopefully this will get you started...

Tool for wiping disks = dd
Running a script when usb plugged in: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/execute-shell-script-when-usb-drive-plugged-in-377526/

Don't dd over your hard drive :)

eighty8
Jan 24, 2007

taqueso posted:

Hopefully this will get you started...

Tool for wiping disks = dd
Running a script when usb plugged in: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/execute-shell-script-when-usb-drive-plugged-in-377526/

Don't dd over your hard drive :)

That link is really helpful for a starting place, thanks. I have been doing some Google searches and it looks like "shred" with appropriate modifiers is the perfect tool for the erasing itself. Combined with the stuff at that link it could be the perfect tool.

I still will have a good bit of scripting to do to make a log file be made and such, but I don't think that should be that hard. What I am more concerned about is that I would like to be able to access the drives serial number if I am able for logging purposes. I know this possible if the drive is plugged into the computer via IDE but I don't know about USB.

PrinceofNessus
Jan 9, 2007

Here is a question:

I just set up vsftpd on my box, and have set chroot_local_user=YES in /ect/vsftpd.conf.

The man page says that there are security risks to setting chroot_local_user=YES, and it should only be done "if you know what you are doing" and that it can cause problems with upload permissions. I really want to lock my users in chroot jail, but I want to know what these risks they are talking about are.

Help with my configs.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

PrinceofNessus posted:

Here is a question:

I just set up vsftpd on my box, and have set chroot_local_user=YES in /ect/vsftpd.conf.

The man page says that there are security risks to setting chroot_local_user=YES, and it should only be done "if you know what you are doing" and that it can cause problems with upload permissions. I really want to lock my users in chroot jail, but I want to know what these risks they are talking about are.

Help with my configs.
From http://www.vsftpdrocks.org/faq/

quote:

Q) Help! What are the security implications referred to in the
"chroot_local_user" option?
A) Firstly note that other ftp daemons have the same implications. It is a
generic problem.
The problem isn't too severe, but it is this: Some people have FTP user
accounts which are not trusted to have full shell access. If these
accounts can also upload files, there is a small risk. A bad user now has
control of the filesystem root, which is their home directory. The ftp
daemon might cause some config file to be read - e.g. /etc/some_file. With
chroot(), this file is now under the control of the user. vsftpd is
careful in this area. But, the system's libc might want to open locale
config files or other settings...

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I've got a website that uses a 32bit payment gateway. Problem is, is that we're moving to a 64bit server with about 8GB of ram, with plans to ramp that up to 16gb if needed..

Can 32bit Linux play happily with this amount of ram? If not, is there a way to have everything else as 64bit, but just install 32bit PHP? (The payment gateway is a php extension)

x1o fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 14, 2009

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

TheHeadSage posted:

I've got a website that uses a 32bit payment gateway. Problem is, is that we're moving to a 64bit server with about 8GB of ram, with plans to ramp that up to 16gb if needed..

Can 32bit Linux play happily with this amount of ram? If not, is there a way to have everything else as 64bit, but just install 32bit PHP? (The payment gateway is a php extension)

a PAE kernel or a 32-bit Apache+mod_php (or 64-bit Apache + php as fastcgi or CGI).

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

eighty8 posted:

That link is really helpful for a starting place, thanks. I have been doing some Google searches and it looks like "shred" with appropriate modifiers is the perfect tool for the erasing itself. Combined with the stuff at that link it could be the perfect tool.

I still will have a good bit of scripting to do to make a log file be made and such, but I don't think that should be that hard. What I am more concerned about is that I would like to be able to access the drives serial number if I am able for logging purposes. I know this possible if the drive is plugged into the computer via IDE but I don't know about USB.

Just for curiosity's sake, I ran 'hdparm -i' on an (internal) SATA disk and was able to get the serial number. Running the same command against an external USB disk gave me an error message, "HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument".

I did a few minutes of googling to see if anyone else had this problem, but I didn't come up with anything.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

juggalol posted:

Just for curiosity's sake, I ran 'hdparm -i' on an (internal) SATA disk and was able to get the serial number. Running the same command against an external USB disk gave me an error message, "HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument".

I did a few minutes of googling to see if anyone else had this problem, but I didn't come up with anything.

You might want to try the -I flag, it seems that the -i flag is for older devices.

hdparm man page posted:

-i Display the identification info that was obtained from the drive
at boot time, if available. This is a feature of modern IDE
drives, and may not be supported by older devices. The data
returned may or may not be current, depending on activity since
booting the system. However, the current multiple sector mode
count is always shown. For a more detailed interpretation of
the identification info, refer to AT Attachment Interface for
Disk Drives (ANSI ASC X3T9.2 working draft, revision 4a, April
19/93).

-I Request identification info directly from the drive, which is
displayed in a new expanded format with considerably more detail
than with the older -i flag.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Twlight posted:

You might want to try the -I flag, it seems that the -i flag is for older devices.

Hurr. I probably should've checked the man page. So yeah, running 'hdparm -I' against a USB disk will indeed give you the serial number.

Edit:

code:
hdparm -I $disk|grep "Serial Number" | awk -F\: '{print $2}'| tr -s ' '
Where $disk is the disk you care about.

juggalol fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 14, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Crossposting from the Ubuntu thread:

So I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a very old computer that is currently dual booting Ubuntu 8 and Windows XP MCE. I want to install it over both installations so it will be solely a Ubuntu box. When I pop in the CD (32-bit version), it says no bootable image is present. I tried running Wubi in the windows installation and kept getting a bunch of disk access errors...I also can't seem to just update Ubuntu from within Ubuntu like I can vaguely remember doing with the move from 7 to 8. Should I just use gparted to partition the Windows partition to ext3 and try it from there, or is something hosed hardware-wise?

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

So I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a very old computer that is currently dual booting Ubuntu 8 and Windows XP MCE. I want to install it over both installations so it will be solely a Ubuntu box. When I pop in the CD (32-bit version), it says no bootable image is present. I tried running Wubi in the windows installation and kept getting a bunch of disk access errors...I also can't seem to just update Ubuntu from within Ubuntu like I can vaguely remember doing with the move from 7 to 8. Should I just use gparted to partition the Windows partition to ext3 and try it from there, or is something hosed hardware-wise?

\/ Yea what he said it seems I can't read.

reborn fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 15, 2009

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Sounds like you need to check the integrity of the disc image and burn a new one.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Having a weird problem I can't get to the bottom of. I have an Ubuntu systemthat is trying to connect to another Ubuntu VM running in VMWare under Vista. I have the networking configured so that SSH, HTTP, etc forwards correctly from Vista to the VM.

My problem is that when I add entries to /etc/hosts in the client (non-VM) system, the command simply hangs with no output. I can connect via IP with no problems. What's even stranger is some applications (I think it was telnet or ping) can resolve the IP on the system from the hosts file, but still fails to connect.

What can be going wrong? Could this be some kind of bizarro NetBios issue on Vista?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

@Lucien and juggalol

Thanks for the input, I think I'll give both suggestions a try, since learning about sed and awk is high on my list anyway.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I think I just messed up my install of Ubuntu.

Because I'm apparently way too curious I decided to compile the latest stable of AbiWord. When I tried to compile it, I noticed that libpango was too old. So I dl'd the latest pango. ./configure told me I need the latest glib so.... I compiled and installed it :doh:

Well you can probably guess the state of my system now. gdm freaks out, firefox and about every other gtk-app fails to start with
code:
 (firefox:21633): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed 
Time to reinstall or is there still hope for this system? I've tried
code:
make uninstall
in the basedir of my dl'd glib-sources, plus
code:
apt-get --reinstall install ubuntustudio-desktop
, but no luck. I'm going to hide in the corner now.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 14, 2009

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

mike12345 posted:

Time to reinstall or is there still hope for this system? I've tried
code:
make uninstall
in the basedir of my dl'd glib-sources, plus
code:
apt-get --reinstall install ubuntustudio-desktop
, but no luck. I'm going to hide in the corner now.

That probably only installs that one package which I'm guessing doesn't really have any files and only depends on other packages; my guess is you'll want to reinstall libglib2.0-0 (or something like that) and whatever else you think you clobbered.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

spoon0042 posted:

That probably only installs that one package which I'm guessing doesn't really have any files and only depends on other packages; my guess is you'll want to reinstall libglib2.0-0 (or something like that) and whatever else you think you clobbered.

Yeah, I tried to purge and reinstall libglib2.0, but I can't see any difference. I even compiled the corresponding glib-version myself and installed it, but nothing. Which is weird: Basically the system should have the same glib as before, but apparently it doesn't.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Yep definitely sounds like the disc you burned is bad. If you can't seem to get any subsequent discs to work, then it's time to suspect the CD-ROM drive.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

celestial teapot posted:

Yep definitely sounds like the disc you burned is bad. If you can't seem to get any subsequent discs to work, then it's time to suspect the CD-ROM drive.

That's the other thing, I thought the disc could be bad, so I tried seeing if my windows 7 disc would boot...I know it works because I used that same disc to install Windows 7 on my laptop, and no dice...I put in a DVD drive I know works from the computer I'm on now and tried the same windows 7 disc, and still no dice...oh poo poo, is my motherboard hosed?!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 13, 2017

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

GregNorc posted:

I tried installing gcc, still no luck. Get the same error about cc.

I had a look at the makefile and it should be setting CC=gcc if CC isn't set, which leads me to conclude you have CC set to something bogus. Try 'unset CC' and then 'make'.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

spoon0042 posted:

I had a look at the makefile and it should be setting CC=gcc if CC isn't set, which leads me to conclude you have CC set to something bogus. Try 'unset CC' and then 'make'.

you can also invoke as
code:
make CC=gcc 

eighty8
Jan 24, 2007
Does anyone know where to find the linux version of the bios upgrade for this motherboard: GA-MA790X-UD4P ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128387 ) without it my processor is only being detected at 1.6 Ghz.

EDIT: Ok I think I have the bios upgrades. Now my main processor is being detected at 3.2 Ghz, but the the three other ones are clocking in at only 800, is this normal or is there another step I am missing?

This is the processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

EDIT
Nevermind its working now.

eighty8 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 16, 2009

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
I installed gnome-desktop-environment onto my server but the desktop will not load on boot.

Is there a command to launch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

rugbert posted:

I installed gnome-desktop-environment onto my server but the desktop will not load on boot.

Is there a command to launch it?

What does happen? Does it load X but not gnome or is it not launching X at all?

If you just need to start X, you can run the command startx.

Depending on the distro, you may need to add xdm to your startup scripts or switch the default runlevel to the one that runs X on boot. For example, with gentoo I would run: rc-update add xdm default.