Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StatutoryApe
Nov 25, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

While that looks amazing and comes with Snapon quality, it's out of my price range. How is ZNEX as a brand? I widened my CL search and came up with a ZNEX model:
http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/1134272948.html
Never heard of them before.

Ive never heard of ZNEX. I like the idea of this one
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=37248
But it doesnt come with a battery or charger. Its worth investigating. I always like Makitas stuff so if you can find a makita or a dewalt that might do it.
I only paid $30 a week for my snap-on gun....for like 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mooecow posted:

Do anyone have experience with Harbor Freights engine stands? I am looking at their 1000 lbs. stand since the Chevy 216 I have weights about 700 lbs max.

Here is a link to the stand:

Engine Stand

For what it's worth I have a complete Pontiac 389 attached to one of those; it's been on there for about seven years. Looks like it's sagging a bit, but not much. I wouldn't dare try to do any work on the motor on that stand, though. According to my Pontiac shop manual, the '66 Y-code weighs in at about 700-lbs.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Are the Harbor Freight timing lights any good? I really don't feel like dropping 150+ for something I would not use very often.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3343

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Kotaru posted:

Are the Harbor Freight timing lights any good? I really don't feel like dropping 150+ for something I would not use very often.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3343

My friend has gotten away with using the $20 Autozone special so I don't see why this would be any worse.

Carbocation
Sep 2, 2006
How's this Craftsman 204 piece set for $100 (for a beginner with no tools)? Assuming the ratchets are junk, would it be worth it to get this set for the wrenches/sockets and just get better S-K ratchets separately?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Carbocation posted:

How's this Craftsman 204 piece set for $100 (for a beginner with no tools)? Assuming the ratchets are junk, would it be worth it to get this set for the wrenches/sockets and just get better S-K ratchets separately?

I have a lower end set which was my "starter". The ratchets are actually just fine. You will want to get a good set of extensions though. Probably also want some sort of cheater bar for the 1/2" ratchet, and a 1/2" torque wrench, and some 1/2" deep sockets in either metric or standard as you need to really get started with things.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Those ratchets are just fine, I was beating on one with a 8 pound mini sledge, and it got the bolt loose without dying. For $100 you can't go wrong, it will do alot of what you need, use harbor freight to fill in the rest.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The problem with those sets is they include a lot of duplicate sockets and the quality is always rock bottom to keep costs down. That set has 12 sockets to fit a 7/16" bolt.

Hit up harbor freight and grab a socket set, breaker bar, extension set(just toss the extras), screwdriver set, and a tool box. Total cost, $60.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 30, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

oxbrain posted:

The problem with those sets is they include a lot of duplicate sockets and the quality is always rock bottom to keep costs down. That set has 12 sockets to fit a 7/16" bolt.

One thing that annoys me with these sets is that they throw in tons of Allen wrenches and screwdriver bits to up the count.

Error 404 NpH
Nov 26, 2000

Just wanted to mention that this HF 3 piece plastic socket rail set for $3 is awesome

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96343

I picked up a huge craftsman loose socket set and put everything on these rails. Lowes wants $6.18 for a single rail of similar quality http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=29952-1074-22970&lpage=none

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Error 404 NpH posted:

Just wanted to mention that this HF 3 piece plastic socket rail set for $3 is awesome

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96343

I picked up a huge craftsman loose socket set and put everything on these rails. Lowes wants $6.18 for a single rail of similar quality http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=29952-1074-22970&lpage=none

I think I paid $10 for a set of 3 Craftsman ones. This is a great deal, I had my brother pick these up a few weeks ago.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I got a metal rail for $2 at Big Lots a couple years ago. Came with a full set of sockets, too :) I keep that one at work with a similarly cheap socket; they way I'm not so upset if someone "borrows" it and forgets to return it. (I lose more tools that way!)

grover fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 2, 2009

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00937204000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

Does anybody know if this is a good set to start out with for working on cars and motorcycles? I've been using a small portable ratchet set so far but one of my friends got 3 different toolsets(2 craftsman and 1 snap-on) for his birthday so he'll sell it to me $100 if I'm interested.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

EvilCrayon posted:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00937204000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

Does anybody know if this is a good set to start out with for working on cars and motorcycles? I've been using a small portable ratchet set so far but one of my friends got 3 different toolsets(2 craftsman and 1 snap-on) for his birthday so he'll sell it to me $100 if I'm interested.

Look 8 posts above yours and you'd see someone already asked that exact question.

Carbocation posted:

oxbrain posted:

Hit up harbor freight and grab a socket set, breaker bar, extension set(just toss the extras), screwdriver set, and a tool box. Total cost, $60.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
I just finished getting my super cheap junkyard tool set together. I bought a el cheapo ratchet set from Sears, but then got the bright idea to go to a pawn shop. I got 23 different sockets for 5 dollars. I had an extra ratchet laying around + extensions. A lot more affordable than that "set". Gonna return the Sears set today.

Also, get those freaking harbor freight socket rail organizer things. Those are awesome.

edit:

Get the metal socket holders:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39722
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39721
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39723

The rails are the exact same size, so you can interchange 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" clips with a single rail. I got from 5mm to 19mm on one rail for my junkyard set.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 5, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

How well do those rails hold up to dropping? My plastic clip set tends to send the sockets flying whenever it's dropped.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

oxbrain posted:

How well do those rails hold up to dropping? My plastic clip set tends to send the sockets flying whenever it's dropped.

They hold the sockets pretty tight, but really, you want to avoid dropping these things entirely. My original SAE sockets that were craftsman were super tight on the metal rails. I almost felt like I was going to break the drat thing removing a socket.

Since this is going into my junkyard toolbox, I am keeping the rail in the box as much as possible.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

How am I supposed to get a torque wrench on these bolts?

I actually need to torque to specifications because apparently that's the reason I have a "clunk" sound coming from my suspension, especially when braking while turning sharply while going downhill (sounds like a rare occasion but I hear it every time I come down my driveway). The TSB for this says you don't even need to take off the wheels, which would be true if I could fit a torque wrench between the bolts for the upper link and the spring, but I can't. I'm using pretty short sockets too, but both my wrenches are 1/2". Maybe I need to find a 1/4" torque wrench with the smallest socket set I can find?

Actually looking at the photo now, maybe if lowered the car on a jack a bit to compress the spring it'd make room?

si
Apr 26, 2004

devnull420 posted:

I actually need to torque to specifications because apparently that's the reason I have a "clunk" sound coming from my suspension, especially when braking while turning sharply while going downhill (sounds like a rare occasion but I hear it every time I come down my driveway). The TSB for this says you don't even need to take off the wheels, which would be true if I could fit a torque wrench between the bolts for the upper link and the spring, but I can't. I'm using pretty short sockets too, but both my wrenches are 1/2". Maybe I need to find a 1/4" torque wrench with the smallest socket set I can find?

Actually looking at the photo now, maybe if lowered the car on a jack a bit to compress the spring it'd make room?

Gotta imagine you can get it close by hand without a torque wrench. What's the torque rating on there?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Use your torque wrench to torque a different bolt to the correct spec. Turn it slightly with a box wrench to get a feel for what the correct torque feels like. Torque with the box wrench.

What is the torque spec on those? I'd be willing to bet it's a huge spread that could easily be hit with a box wrench.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

devnull420 posted:

Since it's a suspension arm, shouldn't there be a nut on the outside of each of those bolts (for the left one, it would be just at the edge of the picture behind the bracket formed by the unibody). If there is, you might be better off using your box wrench to hold the bolt heads that you have circled and putting your torque wrench on the nut (if you can get it on there!)

Other way would be to unbolt the top of the strut and try to swing it down and out of the way, but that might be difficult as well.

Stitch
Aug 2, 2000

If it wasn't for bad judgement, I'd have none at all
Fun Shoe

devnull420 posted:

There's also the possibility of using a crowfoot on the torque wrench. If you turn the crowfoot so the toes are 90 degrees to the beam of the wrench, the difference in torque values is negligible, otherwise there's math involved.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Stitch posted:

There's also the possibility of using a crowfoot on the torque wrench. If you turn the crowfoot so the toes are 90 degrees to the beam of the wrench, the difference in torque values is negligible, otherwise there's math involved.

I was going to suggest this.
Well, similar to this.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I went to look for some crowfoot wrenches but OSH hardware only had them in sets for $60. I wouldn't even bother with a torque wrench except for apparently the reason it makes a sound is it comes over torqued from the factory. Apparently I suck at estimating because I sheared some really soft bolts off in my door, which is a pain in the rear end.

I think seeing what that torque feels like on another bolt and then recreating it with a box wrench is my best bet, so I'm going to try that out tomorrow.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

devnull420 posted:

I think seeing what that torque feels like on another bolt and then recreating it with a box wrench is my best bet, so I'm going to try that out tomorrow.

That doesn't work. Bolts get tighter with age and feel different depending on the material they are fastened too.
If you get a bolt that has a torque spec of 50ft/lb and set your torque wrench to that and try and undo it(don't ever do this) you'll find the torque wrench will click looooong before the bolt starts to turn.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
HF 20% for the rest of this weekend and Monday

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...95&keycode=0000

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RealKyleH posted:

HF 20% for the rest of this weekend and Monday

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...95&keycode=0000

Of course you post this after I bought a new torque wrench. :/

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

hobbesmaster posted:

Of course you post this after I bought a new torque wrench. :/

Maybe somebody should have asked as they have them most weekends.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic for $22. There's a $10 rebate you can get from this slickdeals thread which brings it down to $12 for 5 quarts. Insane deal, I was able to find one jug locally.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic for $22. There's a $10 rebate you can get from this slickdeals thread which brings it down to $12 for 5 quarts. Insane deal, I was able to find one jug locally.

Time to see if I can find my receipt from a month or so ago.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

mod sassinator posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
NPR has an awesome photo gallery up featuring some of the tools they've developed for servicing the Hubble. Cool poo poo.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Any current HF 20% off coupons? I missed the last one.

edit: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=prefs_comp&campaign=signup&page=coupon1.html&single=true&r=4137_2316&cust=91537869999&keycode=0457

Enjoy! Good till May 31st.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 14, 2009

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ever had one of those impossibly awful broken bolt/stud experiences? The kind where you break 4 drill bits and a screw extractor or two? The kind that keep a weekend project dragging on for two months...?

Yeah. gently caress that:

+

+

It's Dremel time.

The grinding bits from the chainsaw sharpening set and the diamond-crusted disco ball are all you need to remove a broken screw extractor and the bolt it is lodged in. In fact, they're pretty much the ONLY way you're going to get them out. The flex-shaft is obviously helpful if space is tight.

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot
Any reason why 2 ton jackstands wouldn't work for my Subaru? I just got a set from my grandpa for free, and as far as I know, they've never been used. They're NAPA labeled, so I have no idea who makes them.

I guess I'm just paranoid about what's going to be between me and 3000 pounds of metal.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Even if you could manage to balance all 3000 lbs of car on one jackstand you still wouldn't be hitting the 4000 lb rating. They'll be fine.

Don't try to balance your whole car on any less than three jack stands.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

oxbrain posted:

Even if you could manage to balance all 3000 lbs of car on one jackstand you still wouldn't be hitting the 4000 lb rating. They'll be fine.

Don't try to balance your whole car on any less than three jack stands.

Seconding: check his avatar for results.

(edit) one of my favorites

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Any new harbor frieght 20% off coupons?

I need a bearing puller :(

VVVV Except for that one expired on the 11th.

Edit2: I am a retard and reposting this bitch:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...99&keycode=0457

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 15, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

ASSTASTIC posted:

Maybe if you checked this very page you could spot some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ASSTASTIC posted:

VVVV Except for that one expired on the 11th.

Edit2: I am a retard and reposting this bitch:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...99&keycode=0457

Maybe if you looked at this very page... in the future...

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...66&keycode=0000